Not asking my nieces father permission to bring her friend on a family trip

Joeblow

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2022 05:30 am
@dopguy,
No good deed goes unpunished eh?
Personally, I'd never lie about it. I can understand a 16 year old wanting to, to avoid the drama and get what she wants, but you're supposed to be the fully responsible party in this equation. That's notwithstanding I think the mom and stepdad would be fostering much bigger problems if they denied it. But if you lie about it, you could cause irreconcilable damage to your relationship with them, and access to your neice in the future. Maybe they'll surprise you. It's a risk you have to take I think. Then everyone can have a guilt free good time, the way family reunions are supposed to be!

Soon enough she'll be able to accept invitations to leave the state for several days without parental approval, but imo that time hasn't come yet. Imo, you jumped the gun extending the invitation to one of her friends, without discussing all of it with her parents first. If I did that I'd acknowledge it and hope for the best.

If you don't want to do that, then imo the second best option is to tell your niece you can't lie for her. If it comes up, you'll have to answer truthfully.
Joeblow

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2022 09:54 am
@Joeblow,
On second thought, I take some of that back. There is no second best option imo. I was stretching.
0 Replies