Physical sickness from depression?

Sat 19 Feb, 2022 08:26 pm
I've been in a terrible headspace recently, probably one of the lowest points of my life. And recently I've also been feeling a lot of symptoms I'd generally associate with being "sick," except with no fever or anything. Is it at all possible to feel physically ill from a mental illness?

I don't know if that's possible, but lately I've been extremely tired (needing 9+hours of sleep a night and multiple hours napping, I used to easily run all day on 6 hours), I have absolutely no apitite (eaten a total of 2 meals in the past 3 days), and even kind of feel "sick to my stomach" (although I'm not puking or anything.) , plus frequent headaches.

I had the flu about 2 weeks ago, so I don't know, maybe I'm just still coming down from that? What do you guys think? Could this have anything to do with depression?

(You can get a little background info on my depression on my profil if you're curious.)

Mame

Sat 19 Feb, 2022 08:34 pm
@Kayster ,
I am not a medical professional but I do believe mental anxiety can contribute to physical upset. How could it not? Have you spoken to a school counsellor yet, hon? I'm very surprised (well, maybe not 'very') that your parents haven't noticed and said something to you. Please, please speak to someone. Maybe your doctor?
Kayster

Sat 19 Feb, 2022 08:59 pm
@Mame,
To be honest, my parents are a huge part of the reason I'm feeling depressed right now. I know they have good intentions, but they're causing me a ton of stress and problems right now.

Like I said, I was just sick, so who knows maybe they see all of these problems as just part of that.
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Thu 3 Mar, 2022 06:53 am
@Kayster ,
This is why the COVID thing has been so successful (at keeping people trapped). When people are bad emotionally, they can have physical sensation. Depression hurts, yes. In turn, isolation from others causes depression. If you see the vicious cycle here, I also do. But most people don't, because most people aren't introverts or chronically depressed.

Yes, there are number of disorders from emotional depression:
-Aches
-Pains
-Lowered immunity
-Fatigue
-Shortness of breath
-Reverse Placebo

You need to tell (or hint) to your parents that you're in a bad place emotionally, and run down. That this is the cause of your sickness.
0 Replies

mjseedscanada

Wed 9 Mar, 2022 07:52 pm
@Kayster ,
This mood disorder causes a number of emotional symptoms, including persistent feelings of sadness and a loss of interest in things once enjoyed. Depression can also cause physical symptoms. Depression can make you feel sick and cause symptoms like exhaustion, headaches, and aches and pains.
0 Replies

mjseedscanada

Wed 23 Mar, 2022 12:07 am
@Kayster ,
This mood disorder causes a number of emotional symptoms, including persistent feelings of sadness and a loss of interest in things once enjoyed. Depression can also cause physical symptoms. Depression can make you feel sick and cause symptoms like exhaustion, headaches, and aches and pains.
0 Replies