Given the preamble...

squinney

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 05:22 pm
Bear received the finest of care recently, and no one denied him the best care possible due to lack of insurance or inability to pay $75,000 on the spot.

It is posted in the private, for profit hospital that no one can be turned away due to inability to pay.

Having said that, people have basic needs for food, shelter, water, clothing... Do we provide all of these things as well in a universal way? Should we open malls on the 2nd Wednesday of each month to those unable to afford clothing?

We have plenty of government agencies devoted to public housing, as you pointed out with agencies tied to health care, does that mean housing should be a constitutional right?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 07:01 am
squinney wrote:
Bear received the finest of care recently, and no one denied him the best care possible due to lack of insurance or inability to pay $75,000 on the spot.

It is posted in the private, for profit hospital that no one can be turned away due to inability to pay.

Having said that, people have basic needs for food, shelter, water, clothing... Do we provide all of these things as well in a universal way? Should we open malls on the 2nd Wednesday of each month to those unable to afford clothing?

We have plenty of government agencies devoted to public housing, as you pointed out with agencies tied to health care, does that mean housing should be a constitutional right?

in a dream world, all the basics of survival , food, housing, water, clothes etc.. WOULD be a non denialble right.
How would that work? For that.. I have no answer,only ideas.
A society that could financially support its needy and provide for all could happen if it was done in a small population . Many high taxes to support people could be avioded if a small community were willing and able to pitch in things they dont need directly TO other people.
Example- instead of taking things to a goodwill , in a small community where people were willing to, you could take it directly to the familty..

I think that our neighborhoods and society has grown so much that noone is able to or willing to help people face to face anymore. They just want to give to one group and expect them to hand things out accordingly. This isnt a bad arrangement. Just that in my " idea" of a small community, goodwills, salvation armys and the like wouldnt be necessary because everyone would speak up for what they need and offer what they dont need to other people directly. No middle man COULD mean no tax spike to cover assistance.

but... im only dreaming.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 07:41 am
Exactly, shewolf. When we moved we had an extra set of bunkbeds we no longer needed. We called a local church to ask if they knew of a needy family.

We always do it that way rather than donating to a place that then makes someone pay for it. And, we aren't exactly in a little town. I think everyone can do what you dream. It just takes a couple of calls instead of a ten minute drive to Goodwill.

But, I think the question remains whether or not these basic needs are constitutional rights.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 07:55 am
I think the answer to that is yes AND no.

Yes-
We have facilities that provide free food, clothes, a place to shower, basic nutrition, and hygiene products.
We have places that provide free housing. Half way houses, some churches, homeless shelters, battered womens shelters, childrens shelters etc.. Even some that are semi-free. They ask you to help run the place, serve food, clean the grounds, do laundry.. and other stuff.
And they DO get funding from tax payers.

No-
Simply because there are laws SUPPORTING these places, but no laws DEMANDING these places be available. They get funding, but are not required by law to be there...
0 Replies