Michael Moore Says Doc umentary Already Has HMOs Spooked

snood

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:29 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I haven't seen it, but even if I do and enjoy it or even agree with some of the points made (our healthcare system is really sick - my entire family misses the private California HMO we had fo twenty years), it doesn't make MM any less of an idiot. The fact that he manipulates footage to make it seem to support his idiotic ideas would land him in jail in many countries. Ain't the 1st amendment grand?

Contempt prior to investigation. Ignorance perfected.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 07:36 pm
Prejudicial ignorance at that.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 07:11 am
You know LW, I used to have a tad bit of respect for ya, but you continue to slip off the page of relevance.

A guy makes movies where he manipulates images and sounds to support his prejudices, taking them completely out of context, and because I'm able to easily see that and dismiss the idiot, I'm ignorant?

Ptttttthhhhh.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 08:32 am
Your opinion should be relevant but as you haven't seen the films, it's foder fed into your head by wingnut commentators, blogs and forums. Now Fox News gives it a positive review and the "manipulated images and sounds" got through to them and has further pissed you off. I do not respond to a absolutely all of Moore's tactics of filmmaking, but never have a problem getting the point, and the nitpicking is for inquiring bird brains. What talented, awarded and prolific conservative documentary filmmaker can you name?

The real sickness, if one watches "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room," is at the heart of the big corporations, the pharmaceutical industry being one of the worst.
0 Replies

Winthorpe

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 03:33 pm
I actually watched Moore's appearance on Oprah. Again, whether or not you agree with Moore's politics or the editing of his previous work, you can't argue that the plight of the volunteer 9/11 workers is an outrage. Yes, these are unique cases, but like the other stories I have read about that appear in Sicko, they demonstrate that we don't exactly have the perfect healthcare system in the US.

Given that we pay more than any country on the globe in healthcare couldn't we find a way to provide volunteer 9/11 workers with the treatment they need, treatment on par with what the Guantanamo detainees receive. They showed a clip on Oprah where a military member serving at Guantanamo joked that she had never received the quality of medical treatment afforded to the detainees. Amazing.

While I certainly don't agree with Moore on everything, I commend him for raising the profile of the healthcare debate.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 03:57 pm
Am I the only one who finds it strange that yall needed a Moore to point attention to the situation so that people would start to listen and think a bit?

I'm sure plenty of people have listened and thought and talked about it before.

Not enough to do anything. Towards change.

Blame politicians, blame whoever: Americans love to speak of how it is the Greatest Country of the World, how they are so active and political.

Whoopsie. Big mistake missing this one of the bullshit radar.

Actually, most of the talk and backnforth I have heard before this has been about arguing whether privatization or no. One side against another. As though the big Red Flag would be wagging above the hospitals if even a smidgen of care was shown to all.

Will americans be americans if they start caring about the guy next door and whether he is going to get equal care or not?

Honestly.

I AM looking forward to seeing the film. Obviously haven't yet. The big thing being I am excited to see films in mainstream theaters that actually have some relevence to what is going on in the present around us all.

I do tend to dislike Moore and find him astonishingly ignorant sometimes.

What do you all think - - Will this film make a positive difference? Is it already?

I'd be very happy if it does.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 04:23 pm
I think Moore is smarter than one thinks but he tends to play up the "everyman" and often as broad comedy, not satirical enough for my taste but it does turn heads, and it does wake a lot of people up to whatever problem he is addressing. Like "Fahrenheit 9/11." Tell me again, what's Shrub's approval rating now? The popularity of the adventure he and his cohorts orchestrated in Iraq? Wake up and smell the coffee.

BTW, welcome to A2K, mushypankakes, I like your style and your online handle is really creative. Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 03:54 pm
Mr. Moore Goes To Washington:

'SiCKO' Sneaks Across America This Saturday!

Thursday, June 21st, 2007

Friends,

Would you like to go to a sneak preview of my new film, "Sicko," before it opens on June 29th? Well, if you live anywhere near the 32 cities listed below, this Saturday night, June 23rd, our movie studio is going to hold sneak screenings of "Sicko" in 43 theaters across the country. I'd love for you to be one of the first to see it so, if you'd like, you can click here and order tickets now. We'd love to see you there.

Also, if you live in the New York City area we are opening the film tomorrow (Friday, June 22) exclusively at one theater, the AMC Lincoln Square for a first week run. The interest in the film is very high and theaters have been asking us to open it as soon as possible. Alright, already! It opens tomorrow in NYC, the sneak previews are Saturday around the country, and we open nationwide next Friday, the 29th.

Last night we screened "Sicko" for the members of Congress and the Senate in Washington, D.C. Earlier in the day we testified during a briefing in Congress called by the Chairman of the Judiciary Committee, Rep. John Conyers, Jr. I brought with me some of the people who appear in the film to tell their stories -- and it was a powerful moment.

I will write again next week, before "Sicko" opens nationwide on the 29th. I'm so excited, after spending the last couple of years working on this film, that you all will finally be able to see it.

Yours,
Michael Moore
0 Replies

Winthorpe

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 11:42 am
One of my friends caught an advanced screening last week and was raving about the film. I'm planning on checking it out ASAP.

Also, I just saw this pretty cool story. Moore has a Sicko channel on YouTube and he asked people to send in videos about their healthcare horror stories.

Quote:
A Flint couple is thanking a Hollywood filmmaker for helping in their battle against a $65,000 health insurance bill. The Redfields almost lost their home until Michael Moore made a plea. And they took a chance.

Clayton and Susan Redfield are proud of their home. They bought it and moved to Flint shortly after he had heart surgery in Florida. "Everything was paid -- co-pays and everything is fine," Clayton Redfield said.

But apparently, it wasn't. Aetna, the Redfield's health insurance company, claimed a tumor doctors didn't find until they opened Clayton's heart was a pre-existing condition, and that they owed $66,000 in medical bills.

"I think I said the 'f word' really loud," Clayton said. The Redfields were shocked and couldn't afford to pay it and claim they couldn't get a hold of Aetna to fight it.

"Tens and tens of phone calls," Clayton said. "They were always going to call us back or send us forms or a supervisor, call us back. They never called one single time."

But that would soon change. One day Clayton saw Michael Moore post a plea on YouTube as he was promoting his new movie "Sicko."

So Clayton attached his story to Moore's site on YouTube. "You know, I'm just going to test it," Clayton recalled. "I tested it to the site, I get over 100 hits within seven days. With no communication over the last seven days with Aetna, we get this letter back."

In part, Aetna claimed the collection agency made a mistake and Clayton would only have to pay a $500 co-pay.

"I said the 'f word' again, but real smiley," he said. "I was jumping around." Clayton and his wife now stop to smell the roses. They believes Moore's new movie drew attention to their plight and hope others with similar stories on the site will have the same experience.

"I'm thinking, 'Michael Moore, you just saved my home,'" Clayton said. "I'm eextremely grateful."
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 01:34 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Your opinion should be relevant but as you haven't seen the films...

I watched "Roger and Me" and was so disgusted by Moore's tactics and "filmmaking" style that I refuse to give him another penny. Also, even if I wanted to, I would be kinda hard to see a movie that hasn't been released yet...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 02:07 pm
Tactics? What tactics? Investigative journalism turns you off, I guess? Never saw a TV reporter who ambushes someone bilking consumers, using a hidden camera (especially car repair sickos). I suppose that's also unfair.

As to "filmmaking," other filmmakers, even over the critics, have lauded his efforts. I think I would trust their opinion over someone who has seen one early film (I did state films, not film nor particularly this new one) and chalked him off as not your cup-of-tea. So I'm guessing that by not wanting to "spend another penny," you actually went to a theater and paid admission, rented the VHS (or wasn't it that far back?), bought the VHS or, if more recently, bought the DVD or saw it on pay-per-view (which, I don't believe is possible). If you don't have Showtime, I would believe you didn't even want to pay for the subscription just to watch "Roger and Me." Actually, it's been on free TV many times -- Bravo more frequently than any other.

In the case of "Sicko," did anyone expect him to approach anyone who is satisfied with their health care? I personally don't know anyone who's completely satisfied with the cost and performance of their health care server, agencies, doctor's office, et al.

Moore has stated himself that he is, of course, biased in his presentations and is editorializing. But he even smacks Hillary in this one.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 03:05 pm
GM moved all those jobs out-of-the-country, failed to forsee the drop in sales of their gas gluten auto line and now they're losing their shirts. Roger Smith was a failure as the CEO and GM's market dropped from 46% to 35% during his tenure. In 1990 -- out the door. Thus Spake Michael Moore
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 07:16 am
Yup, it's all Bush's fault....
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 08:37 am
Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

Winthorpe

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 10:42 am
I just read this very good article article on Moore & Sicko, it's worth a read.

Quote:
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 12:38 pm
We should always ask whether or not resources (like water and air, basic shelter and food) and services (like medicine, public transportation) etc. should be driven by the profit motive or service motive. Some needs are inelastic, meaning that survival demands they be met and some are elastic, meaning we can do without them. It is obvious that we all need food, shelter, nutrition, and medical care at some level. We might prefer to have luxury food, homes, and boutique mediciines, but if we do not have the money to pay for them we should not receive them as entitlements. The person who cannot afford these elastic goods should not, in my judgement, be envious or angry toward those who can afford them. At the same time those who are able to live life at a luxurious level should realize that our "artificial" legal and economic SYSTEMS support and, indeed, make possible their advantages. It is a matter of a social contract not a condition of nature, as in the jungle or ocean where big fish "naturally" exploit small fish.
Therefore, it is legitimate for us to question the absolute validity of the profit motive. For some sphers of life it's appropriate and for others (like the fire department or police force) the motive must be service.
Moore is right to asks questions about the limits of the profit motive in medicine. I'm waiting now for his examination of the pharmaceutical industry which--like the insurance industry--tend to exhibit elements of a Mafia.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 12:44 pm
Machiavelli explained it --

Those who have the gold make the rules.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 08:04 am
e-mail from Michael Moore
With over 45 million people uninsured and health care costs sometimes double what people pay in other countries, we still lead the way as the only industrialized county without a universal coverage system.

Isn't it time to fix the health care crisis in America?

In SiCKO, my new documentary opening in theaters nationwide tomorrow, June 29, I expose the truth about health care in America and audiences are already standing up and demanding change.

I love the hard work Democracy for America members do. You are the boots on the ground working for progressive change year after year. You understand that when we get local and speak up, there is no stopping our movement. And now that the entire insurance industry is working in overdrive to confuse the facts and keep Congress from enacting any health care reforms, I know I can count on DFA to fight back and get the job done.

Please sign the petition demanding health care for America right now:

http://www.democracyforamerica.com/sicko

In SiCKO, I highlight numerous health care horror stories (you can watch the trailer at the above petition link). Real events that happened to real people. And to make it worse, they all had health care. Our system is broken. The change we need isn't going to come from little tweaks and lobbyist funded think tanks. Real change will come from you and me working together, telling our stories, and demanding action.

That's why Congress needs to hear from you. How has the health care crisis affected you and your family? Do you have a health care horror story? Sign the petition demanding health care for all Americans and share your story. While you're at it, watch the trailer for SiCKO and search for a screening with other DFA members near you.

http://www.democracyforamerica.com/sicko

The petition is only the beginning. Over the rest of summer, DFA members will organize health care forums in their local community, hold meetings with their Congressional representatives, and keep the pressure on the Democratic candidates for president. I'm proud to have Democracy for America members turning my movie into an agent for change. Thank you for making it happen!

Alright, now go get some popcorn and meet me at the multiplex.

Be well,

Michael Moore
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 08:07 am
Today is the Day for "Sicko"
Today is the Day for "Sicko"
June 29, 2007

Friends,

This is it! Two years in the making! The day that our new film, "Sicko," arrives in theaters all across North America! Click here to see where the nearest one is to you.

After you go, let me know what you think. Oh, and send us a photo or a video from your cell phone to show us what it looked like at your theater. We'd love to post a photo from each of the 440 movie theaters showing "Sicko."

To read more about the movie, you can go to www.michaelmoore.com.

Here's what this morning's review in the L.A. Times said: "It's likely his most important, most impressive, and most provocative film." Okay, what do they know? I prefer to trust the assessment of E! Television Online: " 'Sicko' - the best movie ever? Maybe." Maybe? MAYBE?! When will they ever give me a break?

It's been a weirdly funny week. First Larry King bumped me for Paris Hilton. Then today, when CNBC invited me to the floor of the New York Stock Exchange for an interview, the stock exchange said I was barred from the building. On top of that, Tony Blair is gone, Cheney says he's no longer answerable to anyone's elected government, and I simply don't want an iPhone. Just another week in America.

Hope you enjoy the movie!

Yours,
Michael Moore
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 08:16 am
MM doesn't want an Iphone? I don't blame him -- what's the deal, a ten year wireless contract? Actually, it's a pretty amazing gadget but using all the features would cost tons of dough per month. But eventually, you could watch "Sicko" on it.
0 Replies