Michael Moore Says Doc umentary Already Has HMOs Spooked

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 07:13 pm
cjhsa wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
I looked at a few of them last night. Definitely worth keeping an eye out for it. The American medical system, and how it got where it is, intrigues me.

I'm sure you'll get an unbiased, factual report from Micheal!!!!

I'll get one perspective on it. I probably won't be as excited about it as you appear to be with all those exclamation marks.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 11:22 pm
http://bp3.blogger.com/_mHCAWDirEHQ/Rk1192UlgGI/AAAAAAAAAhI/QnAOFhomJRI/s400/Michael+Moore++Patriot.jpg

Michael Moore Goes to France by my favorite American blogger, Tom Degan, Goshen, NY

Michael Moore is a national treasure. The man has single-handedly taken on the responsibility that most of the so-called "serious journalists" in the American main-stream media abandoned a long time ago; which is, as Upton Sinclair eloquently phrased it one-hundred years ago: "to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable". I seriously believe that two-hundred years from now, his films will be studied in civics classes much in the same way Thomas Paine's writings are studied today (that's assuming that the American republic survives that long - a big and depressing "if" any way you slice it). He is truly one of the great patriots of the era. God bless 'im!

As it always has, controversy has dogged the making and completion of his latest offering, SICKO, a film that, according to its producer, Meghan O'Hara, "will rip the band-aid off America's health care industry". The rescue workers who labored heroically to clean up the rubble of ground zero following the hideous attacks of September 11, 2001, were exposed to toxic substances that have subsequently impaired the health of many of them. Although the Bush administration knew that the people doing the clean up were in danger of exposure, they not only didn't bother to issue a warning to that effect, they publicly stated that the air was perfectly safe. One year later they would be claiming that Saddam Hussein had a serious weapons of mass destruction program - but that's another story for another day.
In the five and a half years since, the very people who cleared the area where the World Trade Center once stood - some of whom have died because of their injuries - have been all but abandoned by their once-great country's sick and dysfunctional health care system. To make a point, Michael Moore brought them to Fidel Castro's Cuba (WOOOOOOOOOHHHH!!!) where they received the needed treatment they were unable to obtain here. To put it bluntly: Moore has put America's way of dealing with the sick and infirm to utter shame.
And now the Bush White House has made veiled threats to prosecute Michael Moore for violating the U.S. embargo that prevents American citizens from traveling to Cuba to conduct business. OFAC chief, Dale Thompson, in a letter to Moore, said, "This office has no record that a specific license was issued authorizing you to engage in travel-related transactions involving Cuba". The problem with this argument is the fact that Moore wasn't there to "conduct business", so to speak, he was there to film a documentary! Documentaries - American documentaries - are made in Cuba all the time. In fact, come to think of it, even Fox News has gone into the place a time or two. Usually, however, the reports that come out of Cuba tend to focus on the negative aspects of the country. Moore was focusing on its positives. Therein lies the problem. The threat coming from the Feds was real enough to force Moore and his production team to make two master negatives of the film and spirit (alright, "smuggled") it out of the country as carefully and as quietly as possible. You'll be happy to know that a positive print of SICKO has arrived safe and sound in Cannes and is ready for its premiere there next week.
The right wing smear machine is going into overdrive. "I have no expectation that Moore is going to tell the truth about Cuba or health care" said possible presidential hopeful and failed actor, Fred Thompson, "I defend his right to do what he does, but Moore's talent for clever falsehoods has been too well documented". Thompson was unable to offer one example of any of those "clever falsehoods". Is it possible that he has Michael Moore confused with Karl Rove? Intriguing thought. In a short video on his website, Thompson then stooped to the GOP's tried and true tactic of questioning Moore's sanity. My goodness! What these assholes won't do!
The Bush Mob has every reason to be frightened - seriously frightened - by the release of a new Michael Moore film. Immediately after the American people were able to view his last work, Fahrenheit 9/11, Bush's poll ratings began to fall drastically - and this was a year before Hurricane Katrina! SICKO will be opening in theaters all around the country next month and of this you may be certain: this summer will see the dawn of the pharmaceutical industry's day of reckoning. We the people will start to ask some serious questions. We're going to demand some answers.
Pray for peace.
Tom Degan
Goshen, NY
[email protected]
POST SCRIPT:
Tell George W. Bush and his geeky little sycophants in the Justice Department to F*CK OFF!!!...as politely as possible, of course.... Tell them to leave Michael Moore alone! Send your comments here:
[email protected]
Here is the text of the e-mail I sent this morning to the White House:
Hey George!
Tell your goons to leave Michael Moore alone. The film is out and there is not a thing you can do to stop it. You might as well try to stop the sun from rising.
Sincerely.
Tom Degan
Goshen, NY.
They immediately sent me this reply:
"On behalf of President Bush, thank you for your correspondence. We appreciate hearing your views and welcome your suggestions [OH, BULLSHIT!] Due to the large volume of e-mail received, the White House cannot respond to every message. Thank you again for taking the time to write".
Well, wasn't that sweet of them?

Tom Degan's Daily Rant
http://tomdegan.blogspot.com/

"After the screening, several hard-nosed U.S. critics and journalists admitted to crying during the film."
-- Wall Street Journal

"Brilliant and Uplifting"
-- FOX News

"Comedy, Poignancy and Outrage"
-- Variety

"Very Strong and Very Honest"
-- Stephen Schaefer, Boston Globe

http://www.michaelmoore.com/
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 06:44 pm
As I understand things,didnt MM try to take those sick people to Gitmo for treatment?

Why did he do that?
Since he thinks that the Cuban medical system is so wonderful,why go to a substandard place first?

Also,why go to a place that is so evil as Gitmo is said to be?
Doesnt that defeat your purpose?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 08:01 pm
Gotta wonder why the American government seems so hepped up about protecting the reputation of the U.S. healthcare industry.

~~~~~~

I may have to spend real money and watch this in first-run. Thanks for the inspiration, mm.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 10:56 pm
mysteryman wrote:
As I understand things,didnt MM try to take those sick people to Gitmo for treatment?

Why did he do that?
Since he thinks that the Cuban medical system is so wonderful,why go to a substandard place first?

Also,why go to a place that is so evil as Gitmo is said to be?
Doesnt that defeat your purpose?

He wanted to reveal the paradox, that America's (alleged) enemies get better medical care than America's heroes in the US and then compare that with the Cuban system which offers good care to all.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:21 pm
A Letter from Michael Moore: 'Sicko' is Socko in Cannes!

May 23rd, 2007

Friends,

Well, as you may have read by now, our premiere of "Sicko" at the Cannes Film Festival has been an overwhelming success. The 2,000 people inside the Lumiere Theater were alternately in tears and laughing during the two-hour film -- and when it was over, they gave it a standing ovation that seemed to go on for nearly 15 minutes! Many came up to me and said (and critics seem to agree) that this is my best film yet. I don't know about that, and it seems weird to compare any of these movies in the first place. But I do feel safe in saying that I am very, very happy with this film and I can't wait to show it to you when it opens on June 29th.

Cannes is a crazy place. There are film lovers here from nearly every country in the world. And then there are the people in "show business." These dark forces have virtually ruined this art form (invented by the French and nurtured to brilliance by the country I call home). There are so many bad, awful films now and less and less people are going to the movies. Many who run Hollywood believe that the American people are too stupid to enjoy a film that respects their intelligence.

At the press screening for "Sicko," the Wall Street Journal reported that hardened reporters and critics wept. Even those who have been harsh to me in the past, or who have not agreed with my politics, were moved. Aside from my stated desire that "Sicko" ignite a fire for free, universal health care (and a larger wish that we, as Americans, do a better job of treating each other with a true sense of solidarity and respect), I continue to hope that I can make a contribution to the art of cinema and give people a good reason to get out of the house for a few hours.

At my festival press conference, the only negative word came from the Canadians. Two critics didn't like all the nice things I said about their health care system. Yes, Canadian health care has its flaws, but when I asked the two critics if they would exchange their health care cards for mine, they said "No!" Of course they wouldn't. Canadians live longer than we do and their infant mortality is not as high as ours. Their system is underfunded because their leaders have been trying to push for more American-style health care.

The rest of the week has been good and I am now on my way back to the U.S. The New York Post reported Sunday that the Bush administration, in addition to going after me for filming scenes in or near Cuba, may now go after the 9/11 rescue workers I took with me to get the medical care they were denied by our own government. I couldn't make up irony like this if I wanted to, and I will do whatever is necessary to defend the human right of these true American heroes to receive the medical attention they deserve.

We've also received word that the HMO and pharmaceutical industries are gearing up to fight "Sicko." We received so many great whistleblower letters while we were making the movie from employees of these companies. We'd like to hear from you again! Send us the internal memos and any other plans you run across at the company copying machine or internet server. It will help to stay ahead of whatever they are up to, and it will also give us a chance for a bit of fun at the industry's expense.

I will soon have a special section of my website devoted to "Sicko." Until then, we'll move forward toward our June 29th release date. Hope to see you all there that weekend!

Yours,
Michael Moore
[email protected]
MichaelMoore.com
0 Replies

Winthorpe

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 11:23 am
Sicko
with all the publicity Sicko is generating and we still have a little less than a month until it's released, my interest has been piqued. For anyone who hasn't seen it, here is the trailer

Views of Michael Moore aside, I have yet to read a bad review of the film. Even review,Fox News gave it a great review.

Quote:
Filmmaker Michael Moore's brilliant and uplifting new documentary, "Sicko," deals with the failings of the U.S. healthcare system, both real and perceived. But this time around, the controversial documentarian seems to be letting the subject matter do the talking, and in the process shows a new maturity.

Unlike many of his previous films ("Roger and Me," "Bowling for Columbine," "Fahrenheit 9-11"), "Sicko" works because in this one there are no confrontations. Moore smartly lets very articulate average Americans tell their personal horror stories at the hands of insurance companies. The film never talks down or baits the audience.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 01:06 pm
I will have to make a special trip to our local Costa Mesa Edwards art theater multiplex to see it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 07:45 am
Re: Sicko
Winthorpe wrote:
Views of Michael Moore aside, I have yet to read a bad review of the film. Even review,Fox News gave it a great review.

Quote:
Filmmaker Michael Moore's brilliant and uplifting new documentary, "Sicko," deals with the failings of the U.S. healthcare system, both real and perceived. But this time around, the controversial documentarian seems to be letting the subject matter do the talking, and in the process shows a new maturity.

Unlike many of his previous films ("Roger and Me," "Bowling for Columbine," "Fahrenheit 9-11"), "Sicko" works because in this one there are no confrontations. Moore smartly lets very articulate average Americans tell their personal horror stories at the hands of insurance companies. The film never talks down or baits the audience.

I almost fell off the bench when I read this on the Fox site the other week. Had to check the calendar to be sure we weren't in April :wink:

Gotta wonder how mysteryman and cjhsa will handle the positive Fox review of Michael Moore's work.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 02:05 pm
Re: Sicko
ehBeth wrote:
Winthorpe wrote:

Quote:

I almost fell off the bench when I read this on the Fox site the other week. Had to check the calendar to be sure we weren't in April :wink:

Gotta wonder how mysteryman and cjhsa will handle the positive Fox review of Michael Moore's work.

What does my opinion have to do with anything?
I havent seen the movie,so I cant comment on it.
The reviewer for Fox simply expressed his opinion.

There have been many movie reviews over the years that I have disagreed with,that doesnt make the reviewers opinion any less valid.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 03:04 pm
Cjhsa's retort was brilliant: he showed MM eating hotdogs. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 09:56 am
I haven't seen it, but even if I do and enjoy it or even agree with some of the points made (our healthcare system is really sick - my entire family misses the private California HMO we had fo twenty years), it doesn't make MM any less of an idiot. The fact that he manipulates footage to make it seem to support his idiotic ideas would land him in jail in many countries. Ain't the 1st amendment grand?
0 Replies

Winthorpe

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:22 am
cjhsa wrote:
I haven't seen it, but even if I do and enjoy it or even agree with some of the points made (our healthcare system is really sick - my entire family misses the private California HMO we had fo twenty years), it doesn't make MM any less of an idiot. The fact that he manipulates footage to make it seem to support his idiotic ideas would land him in jail in many countries. Ain't the 1st amendment grand?

From what I read in the Fox News review, Moore doesn't even appear on-screen until almost an hour into the film. Based on the preview I saw, the testimonials make are powerful enough to not require any commentary. Like the guy who cut off two fingers in a saw accident and had to choose which finger to reattach based on cost.

Like you, I may not agree with everything in the movie when I see it, but the fact is there are many problems with the current system and we need to take measures to improve it, whatever those may be. So in that sense I commend Moore for generating a tremendous amount of focus on health care and health insurance reform.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:37 am
As usual, the anti-Michael Moore commentary comes from those who have likely never seen any of this films, but trusts other polemics from the march of the talking heads in the media, forums and blogs

(Quote)

Michael Moore on Oprah Tuesday

Michael Moore will appear on Oprah tomorrow, Tuesday, June 5, and will present, for the first time on television, scenes from his new film, "Sicko." Oprah will interview Michael about the movie and the attention it's receiving before its release (opening day everywhere is June 29). The theme of Oprah's show is the one film you must see this summer -- "Sicko" -- and the one book you must read (Cormac McCarthy's "The Road"). Oprah loved Michael's film and wants to make health care for all one of her main missions this year.

So set your recorders for Oprah tomorrow, Tuesday!

(Unquote)

One can tune in just to see if MM's lost weight! Oprah did it!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 01:39 pm
More brilliance from cjhsa: "Aint the 1st amendment grand?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 01:50 pm
Surreptitious used of "idiot" and other such idiotic words to pass off Moore's work will always be a matter of considering the source. I was waiting for the fat insults, which, of course, has so much to do with someone's intellect.
Rush Limbaugh for instance...er, well maybe not an instance.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 02:23 pm
JLNobody wrote:

Where else can you get away with selling lies disguised as truth? All hail the 1st.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 02:26 pm
cjhsa wrote:
JLNobody wrote:

Where else can you get away with selling lies disguised as truth?

The White House?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 05:00 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 05:20 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Ain't the 1st amendment grand?

I believe that's a direct quote from Mr. Moore's website.

Cool
0 Replies