Fitzgerald Investigation of Leak of Identity of CIA Agent

Mortkat

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 03:41 am
Makes the White House look bad, says Parados. Of course it does, The White House has looked bad before. It will look bad again. It looked even worse when the President said: Monica and I were never alone in the Oval Office.

If you do not know by now, parados, that no ADMINISTRATION at any time will comment on an indictment and an ongoing investigation, you have really missed the past headlines. Do I really have to go fishing in the nineties to find:

Sorry, we can't comment on that because it is an ongoing investigation.

And, as for the ridiculous comment that the CIA was compromised, I want someone to quote the charge made by Fitzgerald. The charge did not involve OUTING a CIA Agent as anyone who knows how to read can discover. The charges were strictly focused on perjury and obstruction of justice. Mr. Libby, I am sorry to inform BethEl, WAS NOT CHARGED WITH HAVING OUTED PLAME.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 08:16 am
Mortkat wrote:
Makes the White House look bad, says Parados. Of course it does, The White House has looked bad before. It will look bad again. It looked even worse when the President said: Monica and I were never alone in the Oval Office.

If you do not know by now, parados, that no ADMINISTRATION at any time will comment on an indictment and an ongoing investigation, you have really missed the past headlines. Do I really have to go fishing in the nineties to find:

And, as for the ridiculous comment that the CIA was compromised, I want someone to quote the charge made by Fitzgerald. The charge did not involve OUTING a CIA Agent as anyone who knows how to read can discover. The charges were strictly focused on perjury and obstruction of justice. Mr. Libby, I am sorry to inform BethEl, WAS NOT CHARGED WITH HAVING OUTED PLAME.

Some former CIA officers thought the CIA was compromised, they were the ones pressing for the investigation to be seriously conducted.

Quote:
"The disclosure of Ms. Plame's name was an unprecedented and shameful event in American history and, in our professional judgment, has damaged U.S. national security, specifically the effectiveness of U.S. intelligence-gathering using human sources," the group wrote in the two-page letter.

In a telephone interview, Mr. Johnson, who described himself as a registered Republican who voted for President Bush, said he and other former intelligence officers had been discussing the idea of a letter for months and decided to go forward with it because of a lack of evidence of progress in the Justice Department investigation.

"For this administration to run on a security platform and allow people in the administration to compromise the security of intelligence assets, I think is unconscionable," Mr. Johnson said.

source

Libby was not charged with outing plame, he was charged with obstruction of justice and perjury which is a serious offense. Fitzgerold likened obstruction of justice to an umpire having sand thrown in his eyes.

Quote:
FITZGERALD: Or did they intend to do something else and where are the shades of gray?

And what we have when someone charges obstruction of justice, the umpire gets sand thrown in his eyes. He's trying to figure what happened and somebody blocked their view.

As you sit here now, if you're asking me what his motives were, I can't tell you; we haven't charged it.

So what you were saying is the harm in an obstruction investigation is it prevents us from making the fine judgments we want to make.

I also want to take away from the notion that somehow we should take an obstruction charge less seriously than a leak charge.

This is a very serious matter and compromising national security information is a very serious matter. But the need to get to the bottom of what happened and whether national security was compromised by inadvertence, by recklessness, by maliciousness is extremely important. We need to know the truth. And anyone who would go into a grand jury and lie, obstruct and impede the investigation has committed a serious crime.

Valerie Plame was classified and it was not generally known she worked at the CIA until she was outed.

Quote:
Valerie Wilson was a CIA officer. In July 2003, the fact that Valerie Wilson was a CIA officer was classified. Not only was it classified, but it was not widely known outside the intelligence community.

Valerie Wilson's friends, neighbors, college classmates had no idea she had another life.

FITZGERALD: The fact that she was a CIA officer was not well- known, for her protection or for the benefit of all us. It's important that a CIA officer's identity be protected, that it be protected not just for the officer, but for the nation's security.

source for quotes

Update on the Rove end of this story:

Quote:
WASHINGTON, Dec. 8 - A Time magazine reporter met on Thursday with the special counsel in the C.I.A. leak case to answer questions about her conversations last year with a lawyer for Karl Rove, the senior White House adviser, a senior editor of the magazine said.

The reporter, Viveca Novak, met with the prosecutor, Patrick J. Fitzgerald, for more than an hour at the office of Ms. Novak's lawyer, Henry F. Schuelke III.

Jim Kelly, Time's managing editor, said Ms. Novak's account of her testimony, in a deposition, would appear in the magazine on Monday.

Mr. Fitzgerald sought to question Ms. Novak about conversations she had with Robert D. Luskin, a lawyer for Mr. Rove, who has been under scrutiny in the investigation into the disclosure of a C.I.A. officer's identity.

Mr. Luskin testified in a deposition last Friday about his conversations with Ms. Novak, said people who had been briefed on the matter. Mr. Luskin said Thursday that he would not discuss the deposition, first disclosed by CNN on its Web site.

What information the prosecutor hoped to learn from Ms. Novak and Mr. Luskin was not publicly known, but lawyers in the case had suggested that the information could be used by Mr. Luskin to help Mr. Rove explain his belated disclosure of a conversation with another Time reporter, Matthew Cooper.

Ms. Novak agreed to cooperate with the investigation, the magazine said. Mr. Cooper waged a lengthy legal battle resisting Mr. Fitzgerald's effort to obtain his testimony, but in the end he answered the prosecutor's questions about his conversations with Mr. Rove and I. Lewis Libby Jr., then chief of staff to Vice President Dick Cheney.

"We thought that Matt Cooper's involvement was it for Time magazine," Mr. Kelly said. "Obviously other people are involved."

Mr. Fitzgerald has focused on why Mr. Rove did not disclose until a second grand jury appearance, in October 2004, his conversation with Mr. Cooper. It was in that conversation, Mr. Cooper said, that Mr. Rove spoke about the C.I.A. officer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/09/politics/09leak.html
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 12:46 pm
Oh yes, that ridiculous use of the word compromise by Fitzgerald. He used it more than once even.

Quotes from Fitzgerald news conference -----

Quote:
I also want to take away from the notion that somehow we should take an obstruction charge less seriously than a leak charge.

This is a very serious matter and compromising national security information is a very serious matter. But the need to get to the bottom of what happened and whether national security was compromised by inadvertence, by recklessness, by maliciousness is extremely important. We need to know the truth. And anyone who would go into a grand jury and lie, obstruct and impede the investigation has committed a serious crime.
...I'll be blunt.

That talking point won't fly. If you're doing a national security investigation, if you're trying to find out who compromised the identity of a CIA officer and you go before a grand jury and if the charges are proven -- because remember there's a presumption of innocence -- but if it is proven that the chief of staff to the vice president went before a federal grand jury and lied under oath repeatedly and fabricated a story about how he learned this information, how he passed it on, and we prove obstruction of justice, perjury and false statements to the FBI, that is a very, very serious matter.

...I think just the notion that someone's identity could be compromised lightly, to me compromises the ability to recruit people and say, "Come work for us,...
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 12:54 pm
Mortkat wrote:

The WH refuses to even discuss removing security clearances from people that have been shown to have discussed classified information. Wouldn't you remove the security clearance from someone not just suspected of but that admitted to discussing classified information? To top it off, this WH has PRAISED those that did it.

I don't think you will find anyone in the Clinton WH that did that and kept their clearances.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 01:42 pm
parados, Remember that Bush said he will remove people in his administration if they are found guilty of a crime.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 01:52 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
parados, Remember that Bush said he will remove people in his administration if they are found guilty of a crime.

Of course CI, and Mortkat would have us believe that lying about an affair is much worse than compromising national security. I guess the war on terror is really about morality and not about security after all.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 04:12 pm
It won't be long now. Round two of indictments will begin any day.

I'm beginning to wonder just how deep Luskin is in this mess, after the VNovak angle came up...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 05:21 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:

Nobody has been found guilty of a crime, c.i. Feel the need to remind you, since I've no idea what point you were trying to make.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 05:23 pm
No, not yet. Only time will tell.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 05:35 am
Parados is apparently unaware that the indictment voted on by the House in Clinton's impeachment was not an indictment for "lying about an affair". According to Judge Richard Posner, in his book"An Affair of State" the articles of impeachment adopted by the House of Representatives charged William J. Clinton with "obstruction of justice".

Posner adds that several of the false statements in Clinton's deposition in the Paula Jones case were clearly "perjurious".
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 07:59 am
If the statements were clearly "perjurious" it should have been easy to charge him in a court of law; rather than contempt of court.

More pitiful deflections from the issues at hand.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:20 am
I have been trying to figure out how the fact that Novak and Luskin talked before Rove's first testimony helps Rove. The explanation seems to be that since Rove's lawyer had been tipped off about Rove's conversation with Cooper, then it would have been foolish for him to lie about it. But how could he have simply forgotten such a thing when he testified the first time?

Quote:
One possible explanation of why the date is so important is that Luskin could contend it would have been foolish for Rove to try to cover up his role when he knew -- because of Novak's disclosure to Luskin -- that a number of people knew he had talked to Cooper and that it probably would soon become public.

source

I think he simply thought he could get away with lying the first time; and then when the indictments started to come down, he thought it would it would make him look merely forgetful so he revealed the conversation. Although how he could have forgotten the conversation begs credibility to my mind. It seems to be a calculated risky gamble which I hope he does not get away with it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 11:26 am
'Time' Reporter Novak Kept Editors in Dark on Plame Role
'Time' Reporter Novak Kept Editors in Dark on Plame Role
By E&P Staff
Published: December 11, 2005 1:45 PM ET
NEW YORK

Where will it end, and when will reporters pay with their jobs? First we learn that Bob Woodward failed to tell his editor for years about his role in the Plame/CIA leak case. Today, we find out that Time reporter Viveca Novak not only kept her editors in the dark about her own involvement, but even had a two-hour chat with the special prosecutor about it before telling her superiors.

For a full analysis, see E&P Editor Greg Mitchell's latest Pressing Issues column.

Here is the Associated Press account.

Months before Karl Rove corrected his statements in the Valerie Plame investigation, his lawyer was told that the presidential aide might have disclosed Plame's CIA status to Time reporter Matt Cooper, the magazine reported Sunday.

Rove says he had forgotten the conversation with Cooper. But in the first half of 2004, as President Bush's re-election campaign was heating up, Rove's lawyer, Robert Luskin, got the word about a possible Rove-Cooper conversation from Time reporter Viveca Novak.

Novak described her conversation with Luskin in a first-person account posted on the magazine's Web site. In an e-mail, Luskin declined to comment.

Six weeks ago, in a so-far successful effort to avert Rove's indictment, Luskin disclosed his conversation with Novak to the prosecutor in the case, who was contemplating whether to seek charges against Rove. Rove remains under investigation.

Special counsel Patrick Fitzgerald questioned Novak under oath Thursday, the day after the prosecutor began presenting evidence to a new grand jury considering evidence in the leak investigation.

A previous grand jury expired Oct. 28, the day Fitzgerald obtained an indictment against Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, on five counts of perjury, obstruction of justice and lying to the FBI. Libby resigned and has pleaded not guilty.

Fitzgerald is investigating who in the Bush administration leaked Plame's CIA status to the news media in 2003 as Plame's husband, former U.S. Ambassador Joseph Wilson, accused the administration of manipulating prewar intelligence on Iraq.

In her first-person account in the magazine, Novak says Luskin appeared surprised when she said she was hearing a Rove-Cooper conversation about Wilson's wife might have taken place.

Novak wrote that she made the comment in reaction to a statement by Luskin to the effect that "Karl doesn't have a Cooper problem. He was not a source for Matt."

"I responded instinctively, thinking he was trying to spin me," Novak recalled in her published account. Novak wrote that she told Luskin "something like, 'Are you sure about that? That's not what I hear around Time.' He looked surprised and very serious." Novak said the conversation with Luskin occurred anywhere from January 2004 to May 2004.

It wasn't until October 2004 -- sometime between five months and nine months after Novak's conversation with Luskin -- that Rove disclosed his conversation with Cooper to the prosecutor.

Rove's disclosure to the prosecutor followed Luskin's discovery of a White House e-mail from July 11, 2003, from Rove to then-deputy national security adviser Stephen Hadley referring to the conversation that day with Cooper.

It is not known publicly whether Fitzgerald's investigators had the e-mail and simply overlooked it or whether the White House had not produced the e-mail for the prosecutor.

By the time Rove stepped forward to disclose the Cooper conversation to investigators, the reporter was under intense pressure from the prosecutor to reveal the original source of his information that Wilson's wife worked for the CIA.

Five months ago, his court appeals exhausted and after receiving a waiver from Rove, Cooper finally disclosed that his source had been the president's top political adviser.

Time reported that by mutual agreement, Novak currently is on a leave of absence.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E&P Staff ([email protected])
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 06:19 pm
It would appear revel knows little or nothing about the various court appearances of Bill Clinton.

First of all, the perjury allegations were quite separate from the contempt of court.

According to Richard Posner's "An Affair of State" P. 44

"It is clear that Clinton perjured himself in the Paula Jones deposition, even though, as Clinton's defenders emphasized, the crime of perjury is narrowly defined in federal law. A FALSE STATEMENT UNDER OATH IS NOT ENOUGH. THE STATEMENT MUST BE DELIBERATELY FALSE, THAT IS, A LIE, IT MUST BE MATERIAL TO SOME ISSUE IN THE PROCEEDING IN WHICH IT IS MADE; AND IT MUST BE FALSE RATHER THAN MERELY MISLEADING...Jones' lawyers did not conduct a skillful examination of Clitnon, in particular, they did not ask him about specific sex acts and to follow up on his often meandering and evasive answers with questions designed to pin him down. AS A RESULT, MANY OF HIS ANSWERS, THOUGH PROBABLY LIES, WOULD NOT EXPOSE HIM TO PROSECUTION FOR PERJURY."
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 06:36 pm
It appears gattos knows little or nothing.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 06:40 pm
That has to be the dumbest conclusion from a statement I have ever seen.

It is clear it was perjury even though it wasn't perjury.

Say what? It can't be clear it is perjury yet not be chargable as perjury. Clear it is perjury would mean there wouldn't be a simple defense that Posner admits makes Clinton's statements unchargable. Posner shows himself to be an idiot with this paragraph.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 06:46 pm
Here is more for you, Parados. ( You really should read the book- You may like it)

quote -Posner- An Affair of State- P. 54

'Even if, as I do not for a moment believe, none of President's Clinton;s lies under oath, AMOUNTED TO PERJURY IN THE STRICT TECHNICAL SENSE, they were false and misleading statements desinted to derail judicial proceedings and so they were additional acts of obstruction of justice--as well as additional overt acts of a conspiracy to obstruct justice involving Clinton, Lewinsky, Currie and possibly Jordan and others as well, such as Blumenthal."

I do not know if you are aware of the eminence of Judge Richard Posner, Parados, why don't you look him up? He is much much more skilled in the law than the prosecutor Fitzgerald.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 06:48 pm
parados wrote:
Posner shows himself to be an idiot with this paragraph.

That has to be the dumbest conclusion from a statement I have ever seen.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 07:00 pm
Ticomaya- I took Posner's comment out of context. Posner, who was the chief Judge for the seventh circuit and a man acknowledge as a GENIUS by most of the legal community, must be read in his entirety. Indeed, it was my error, when I wanted to make the point about the definition of PERJURY( which to my mind will be quite important in the Libby Case) that I took Judge Posner out of context.

I then gave more information where Posner said--EVEN IF, AS I DO NOT FOR A MOMENT BELIEVE, NONE OF PRESIDENT CLINTON'S LIES UNDER OATH AMOUNTED TO PERJURY I N T H E T E C H N I C A L S E N S E...
that should add more light to his other quote.

I find it ludicrous that people who don't know Judge Posner would presume to call him an idiot.

He is one of the finest minds in the legal world today. Some do not agree with him, of course, but no one except an idiot would call him an idiot.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 08:51 pm
Mortkat wrote:
I find it ludicrous that people who don't know Judge Posner would presume to call him an idiot.

That was my point.
0 Replies