Fitzgerald Investigation of Leak of Identity of CIA Agent

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 03:02 am
joefromchicago wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Sez you. I thought then, as I do now, that Georgeob1 adequately rebutted your rebuttal.

You really haven't learned anything in those three years.

But if you really think that breaching the cease-fire (in 1999 or so) was sufficient justification for launching a preemptive invasion in 2003, then surely you can identify the document or international agreement that permitted the US to enforce that cease-fire on its own.
No need for that, burden-shifter. You are among those apparently claiming a crime has been committed. Why don't you provide the statutory proof that the U.S. didn't have the authority to enforce that ceasefire... and while you're at it; please provide the statute they violated and describe how they fulfilled the necessary requirements to be found guilty... and then let us all know when this was ruled upon. Laughing
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 03:07 am
JTT wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
... but no, I haven't learned nothing since. Rolling Eyes

That has been abundantly clear from your postings, Bill.
Thanks. Laughing
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 08:03 am
joefromchicago wrote:
High Seas wrote:
You may also recall that Ms. Valerie Plame-Wilson's name and NOC service was admitted by the (since reformed) old Sovs to have been delivered to them (i.e. to their blood-brothers in Tel Aviv as well) by Aldrich Ames. There can be no question of any blown covers on that one.

What???

She said:

"You may also recall that Ms. Valerie Plame-Wilson's name and NOC service was admitted by the (since reformed) old Sovs to have been delivered to them (i.e. to their blood-brothers in Tel Aviv as well) by Aldrich Ames. There can be no question of any blown covers on that one."
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 08:33 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
No need for that, burden-shifter. You are among those apparently claiming a crime has been committed. Why don't you provide the statutory proof that the U.S. didn't have the authority to enforce that ceasefire... and while you're at it; please provide the statute they violated and describe how they fulfilled the necessary requirements to be found guilty... and then let us all know when this was ruled upon. Laughing

This is a joke, right? You claim that the US was justified in launching a preemptive attack on Iraq, but you can't come up with any support for your position. And then you accuse me of burden shifting when I ask you to substantiate your claim? Really, I would expect that from flaja or McGentrix some other conservative bobblehead, but not from you, O'Bill. If you have no support for your position except for your own misinformed bloviations, then just say so. Don't put the burden on me to show you why any purported violations of the cease-fire did not provide sufficient justification for the 2003 invasion.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 08:34 am
Ticomaya wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
High Seas wrote:
You may also recall that Ms. Valerie Plame-Wilson's name and NOC service was admitted by the (since reformed) old Sovs to have been delivered to them (i.e. to their blood-brothers in Tel Aviv as well) by Aldrich Ames. There can be no question of any blown covers on that one.

What???

She said:

"You may also recall that Ms. Valerie Plame-Wilson's name and NOC service was admitted by the (since reformed) old Sovs to have been delivered to them (i.e. to their blood-brothers in Tel Aviv as well) by Aldrich Ames. There can be no question of any blown covers on that one."

That joke never gets tired.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 10:05 am
joefromchicago wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

This is a joke, right? You claim that the US was justified in launching a preemptive attack on Iraq, but you can't come up with any support for your position.
No. I responded to nonsense about it being a crime. I'll continue to consider that nonsense, until someone proves it was a crime.
joefromchicago wrote:
And then you accuse me of burden shifting when I ask you to substantiate your claim?
Hardly. The burden hasn't left you since you chimed in with the it's a crime peeps.

joefromchicago wrote:
Really, I would expect that from flaja or McGentrix some other conservative bobblehead, but not from you, O'Bill. If you have no support for your position except for your own misinformed bloviations, then just say so. Don't put the burden on me to show you why any purported violations of the cease-fire did not provide sufficient justification for the 2003 invasion.
Laughing As proof you enter into evidence your own opinion from 2005? After accusing me of relying on my own bloviations? Really Joe, that's rich. I would expect that from, well, you. The problem is; you were wrong then too.
For instance:
joefromchicago wrote:
So, because the violations of the no-fly zone rules did not justify the disproportionate, late response of an invasion, it is little wonder that no one in the Bush administration has seriously put forward those violations as providing a "justification" for the war. Indeed, it is only the administration's apologists, eager to find something that might explain why the US went to war, who advance this feeble argument.
Really?
Joint Resolution to Authorize the Use of United States Armed Forces Against Iraq wrote:

Whereas the current Iraqi regime has demonstrated its continuing hostility toward, and willingness to attack, the United States, including by attempting in 1993 to assassinate former President Bush and by firing on many thousands of occasions on United States and Coalition Armed Forces engaged in enforcing the resolutions of the United Nations Security Council;
Meanwhile: "The Vienna Convention states that a party may invoke a "material breach" to suspend a multilateral treaty."

So it would appear that Sadam's Iraq satisfied the treaty requirements for a major response back in 1990... and since that action was suspended hadn't spent a day not in Material Breach of the negotiated ceasefire. This option was acted on once by in 1998 and then again in 2003. There can be no doubt that both times; Sadam's Iraq was indeed in material breach of the ceasefire. No crime here.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 11:41 am
joefromchicago wrote:
And then you accuse me of burden shifting when I ask you to substantiate your claim?

OBIll wrote:
Hardly. The burden hasn't left you since you chimed in with the it's a crime peeps.

There are international laws that makes it a crime to attack a sovereign nation that pose no threat to them. The no fly zones established by the US in Iraq has no legal precedence that I'm aware of. Iraq has the legal right to defend itself from occupiers of their land. I also think there are international laws against "leadership change." I believe these are facts according to UN and Geneva conventions.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 11:43 am
Joe - what you call a "joke" ref Ames was confirmed in congressional committee (intelligence) hearings.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 11:56 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
No. I responded to nonsense about it being a crime. I'll continue to consider that nonsense, until someone proves it was a crime.

I'm not arguing here that it was a crime (although I've made that argument elsewhere). I'm concentrating on the argument that you're making, I'd appreciate it if you concentrated on the one that I'm making.

OCCOM BILL wrote:

I have no idea who the "it's a crime peeps" are. My argument stands on its own. I don't rely on anyone else's argument to support mine.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Laughing As proof you enter into evidence your own opinion from 2005? After accusing me of relying on my own bloviations? Really Joe, that's rich. I would expect that from, well, you. The problem is; you were wrong then too.

Your argument hasn't changed any in three years. Why should mine? Especially since mine is right.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
For instance:
joefromchicago wrote:
So, because the violations of the no-fly zone rules did not justify the disproportionate, late response of an invasion, it is little wonder that no one in the Bush administration has seriously put forward those violations as providing a "justification" for the war. Indeed, it is only the administration's apologists, eager to find something that might explain why the US went to war, who advance this feeble argument.
Really?
Joint Resolution to Authorize the Use of United States Armed Forces Against Iraq wrote:

Whereas the current Iraqi regime has demonstrated its continuing hostility toward, and willingness to attack, the United States, including by attempting in 1993 to assassinate former President Bush and by firing on many thousands of occasions on United States and Coalition Armed Forces engaged in enforcing the resolutions of the United Nations Security Council;

That's just one of the 23 "whereases" from the congressional joint resolution on the use of force in Iraq, and certainly not the most important. But then just because a government says that it's justified in preemptively invading another country doesn't mean that it is justified under international law. I'm sure Saddam Hussein felt equally justified in invading Kuwait in 1990, but I doubt that you'd consider that invasion to have been justified.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Meanwhile: "The Vienna Convention states that a party may invoke a "material breach" to suspend a multilateral treaty."

Which Vienna Convention? And what multilateral treaty are you referring to?

OCCOM BILL wrote:
So it would appear that Sadam's Iraq satisfied the treaty requirements for a major response back in 1990...

That doesn't make any sense. The ceasefire was in 1991.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
...and since that action was suspended hadn't spent a day not in Material Breach of the negotiated ceasefire. This option was acted on once by in 1998 and then again in 2003. There can be no doubt that both times; Sadam's Iraq was indeed in material breach of the ceasefire. No crime here.

What ceasefire? You mean the ceasefire contained in UN Security Council Resolution 687? Where in that resolution does it say that the United States can, on its own, enforce that resolution?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 12:09 pm
High Seas wrote:
Joe - what you call a "joke" ref Ames was confirmed in congressional committee (intelligence) hearings.

I didn't call it a "joke," I just expressed some dismay over your statement. Even if Plame's identity as a covert agent had been exposed to a foreign government by a spy, that doesn't mean that she was fair game for everyone else. Under the relevant statute (50 USC sec. 421), it is only a defense if the US government identifies the agent, or if the agent identifies herself. One cannot claim to be immune from prosecution because a spy revealed the agent's identity to another nation.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 12:14 pm
International Law Aspects of the Iraq War
and Occupation

This section examines the legality of the 2003 US-UK war on Iraq. Shortly before the outbreak of hostilities, UN Secretary General stated that the use of force without Council endorsement would "not be in conformity with the Charter" and many legal experts now describe the US-UK attack as an act of aggression, violating international law. Experts also point to illegalities in the US conduct of the war and violations of the Geneva Conventions by the US-UK of their responsibilities as an occupying power. The section also looks at wartime violations on the Iraqi side.

http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/issues/iraq/attack/lawindex.htm
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 12:35 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
High Seas wrote:

I didn't call it a "joke," I just expressed some dismay over your statement. Even if Plame's identity as a covert agent had been exposed to a foreign government by a spy, that doesn't mean that she was fair game for everyone else. Under the relevant statute (50 USC sec. 421), it is only a defense if the US government identifies the agent, or if the agent identifies herself. One cannot claim to be immune from prosecution because a spy revealed the agent's identity to another nation.

Agreed with your entire above statement, but wonder on what grounds the judge threw out her claim against VP Cheney - do you happen to know?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 12:43 pm
High Seas wrote:
Agreed with your entire above statement, but wonder on what grounds the judge threw out her claim against VP Cheney - do you happen to know?

I have no idea. I haven't been following her civil suit.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 12:48 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
One cannot claim to be immune from prosecution because a spy revealed the agent's identity to another nation.

Prosecution for what, Joe?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 12:59 pm
Gonzales: CIA leak probe moving forward
Democrats ask attorney general why no charges have been filed
Friday, April 15, 2005 Posted: 10:47 AM EDT (1447 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said Friday he believes the investigation into who leaked the name of a CIA operative nearly two years ago is moving forward appropriately.

Democratic members of the House Intelligence Committee wrote Gonzales on Thursday asking him to "provide an explanation as to why no charges have been brought" against government officials who leaked the name of Valerie Plame.

It is illegal to reveal the names of covert operatives.

In response to the Democrats, Gonzales said he is confident that Patrick Fitzgerald, the U.S. attorney from Chicago who is the lead prosecutor on the case, is "proceeding on a basis that he thinks is appropriate and that at the appropriate time the matter will come to a head."

Gonzales noted that he recused himself from the matter after taking office. His predecessor, John Ashcroft, also recused himself in December 2003 after complaints from Democrats. Ashcroft's office said he took that step to avoid an appearance of conflict of interest.

The Democrats' letter noted that Fitzgerald wrote in March court filings that the factual investigation "was for all practical purposes" completed in October, yet no charges were filed.

"Nearly two years have elapsed, and nobody has been held accountable for this serious violation of law," the Democrats said in a letter to the attorney general, adding that they were "writing to express our grave concern."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 01:03 pm
And this commentary:

http://www.onlinejournal.com/artman/publish/article_340.shtml
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 01:24 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
For instance:
joefromchicago wrote:
Really?

That's just one of the 23 "whereases" from the congressional joint resolution on the use of force in Iraq, and certainly not the most important.
In other words; you stand corrected.
joefromchicago wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Which Vienna Convention?
Vienna Convention on the law of Treaties 1969

joefromchicago wrote:
And what multilateral treaty are you referring to?
Resolution 687

joefromchicago wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
So it would appear that Sadam's Iraq satisfied the treaty requirements for a major response back in 1990...

That doesn't make any sense. The ceasefire was in 1991.
The corresponding war began in 1990, and this is when it should be evident to all that the criteria for major action being proportionate was clearly met and accepted by the UN per UN Resolution 678.

joefromchicago wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
...and since that action was suspended hadn't spent a day not in Material Breach of the negotiated ceasefire. This option was acted on once by in 1998 and then again in 2003. There can be no doubt that both times; Sadam's Iraq was indeed in material breach of the ceasefire. No crime here.

What ceasefire? You mean the ceasefire contained in UN Security Council Resolution 687?
Yes.
joefromchicago wrote:
Where in that resolution does it say that the United States can, on its own, enforce that resolution?
Where does it say we can't? We simply invoked our right to withdrawal from 687, as provided in the Vienna Convention on the law of Treaties in 1969, and resumed hostilities authorized by UN Resolution 678 in 1990. We did this twice. Once in 1998 and once in 2003. But you already knew that, didn't you?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 01:43 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:

OBIll wrote:

There are international laws that makes it a crime to attack a sovereign nation that pose no threat to them.
Depends on the circumstances. Our attack was sanctioned by UN Resolution 678.
cicerone imposter wrote:
The no fly zones established by the US in Iraq has no legal precedence that I'm aware of. Iraq has the legal right to defend itself from occupiers of their land.
Nope. They were bound by UN Resolution 687.
cicerone imposter wrote:
I also think there are international laws against "leadership change."
It was an Iraqi court that found Saddam guilty and subsequently executed him... and it was Iraqi's who chose their new leaders. While their chosen punishment doesn't sit well with many; no one disputes that Saddam was appropriately found guilty. (Not even you.)
cicerone imposter wrote:
I believe these are facts according to UN and Geneva conventions.
Laughing You'd best let Joe handle this.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 02:53 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
One cannot claim to be immune from prosecution because a spy revealed the agent's identity to another nation.

Prosecution for what, Joe?

Violation of 50 USC sec. 421.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 02:53 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I also think there are international laws against "leadership change."

OBill wrote:
It was an Iraqi court that found Saddam guilty and subsequently executed him... and it was Iraqi's who chose their new leaders. While their chosen punishment doesn't sit well with many; no one disputes that Saddam was appropriately found guilty. (Not even you.)

However, one of the justifications Bush used for his aggression against Iraq was "regime change." That the Iraqi court found Saddam guilty is a given, unless it's a international court. When did the US ever have national legal rights in Iraq?
0 Replies