I am seeing my mother in a new light thats not flattering

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 06:59 am
I guess, in a way I am asking for advice.
But on the other hand, I am just venting.. Im not sure.

. I feel very strange about the way my mother is handling my younger brother who is 19. And a BIG part of me wants to step in. The other half of me wants to just sit , smile, and say it is ok when my mom does what she does.

When I was a teenager, apparently I was hard to handle. My mom, as most of you know, moved us out of state rather abruptly when i was 12.
Of course that pissed me off. BUT- it was a necessity. We had taken her then boyfriend to court for sexual abuse towards ME for 6 years.
He got off innocent because the jury claimed there wasn't enough evidence. Confused Not even 24 hrs after that he was close to , or winning ( i don't know details) custody of my brother, his son.
So, on my 12 year old plate , there was alot to deal with. I started acting out, puberty squeezed my throat , and I hated moving from my friends and my life. Drugs were slowly becoming a 'leisure time' activity. So were cigarettes and sneaking out. I guess, no more then most other teens, I aws a handful.
My actions were met with anger, belts, slaps, yelling, etc. My mother tried putting me into counseling.... but that got me no where. This woman I would see would spend our hour talking about her diet, her dog, her son, her her her her.... >sigh<
My mom threw up her hands about me on more then one occasion claiming I was out of her control and there was nothing she could do.
Finally.. she told me that if i couldn't live by her rules, I had to go.
so , at 14 , I did. And she didn't stop me.
For over 4 years, i was gone. Sometimes I would call her , say hi... but that was it. I came home on my 17th birthday with my then boyfriend who was 34.
My mom said nothing, let him in the home, and put on her best June Clever smile and acted like there was absolutely nothing wrong. She always did this. Smile, ignore, and things go away. don't think about the situation because you will create more problems.
Her thought process was " I have done what I can, you are on your own. You will suffer the consequences of your own actions. Here.... have some apple pie. "
Im sure i was a handful, but at 14 I was thrown out. I used to think my mother was smart for this decision... now it is the opposite.

My brother is 19. Schitzophrenic and addicted to speed. He was a terror in the home. I saw alot of his behavior when I lived with my mother. He stole things, he snuck out and would be gone until the next morning, stole her car, her money, let people in her home who stole from her..
I can COMPLETELY understand being fed up with him.
She threw him out too.
He has never had any set rules, and discipline was " Oh son.. how can you do that to me... " Consequences, he was never taught. he never had to hold a job, never had to go to school. Any time he missed school it was " Oh son,you will pay for that decision one day or another...! You know better!"
Now during this time., she worked hard on getting him outside help. Tried big brothers big sisters, counselors, mentors, police, .. you name it, she has tapped that resource for help.
But she threw in the towel the minute he turned 18. Told him he was now and adult and had to do for himself.
He called me one time not too long ago and was crying scared. He didn't know what to do and was asking ME how to get along because " Mom threw you out too. How did you survive?"
I almost threw up his statement hit me like a rock. He was absolutely right.
My idea of my mother making a good decision to ' let me learn on my own' was just shattered. She did throw me out. She just let me go. Survive? F-k I didn't. I survived physically yes.. but mentally? Bullsht. I am a complete and total mess. And now, here he is at 19 living on the streets , in tents because he has no capacity to take care of himself and my mom has just thrown in the towel saying " I cant do it. I cant handle him, he wont listen"
The police called my mom from Ohio ( ! ) about a week ago saying they found my brother under a bridge with a few other homeless people and since he was on the missing persons list they wanted to tell her where he was. Long story short, he got a so called job with a traveling magazine company and either didn't report on time or didn't make his quota...
they left him there.
My mom? " Oh well, it hurts me , but he will learn. He is an adult now" Shocked
His young friend who lives in central texas talked to my mom and told her if he had to ( mind you he is 20 ) he would drive to ohio, pick him up and help get him on his feet. He has an apt, a job and a car. Has been doing really well for himself.
My mom said " He is a grown up young man . He can teach your brother what he needs to know about the world"

My insides screamed.. " WHat the hell are you talking about??? that is YOUR son. Why are YOU not going to get him? WHY are YOU not the one trying to teach him responsibility? Why are YOU throwing your hands in the air on this to the point where my brothers FRIENDS have to step in?

i can not believe this. I can not believe how my vision of my mom has changed since my brother called me. How angry I am that she threw her own kids out because she claimed she cant deal with them.
I look at my daughter and I cant not imagine doing that.
Now that I am a mother I play these scenarios out in my mind and I can not justify her behavior. But she can. With a smile and the " don't think about it, don't talk about it " mindset.

I almost don't want to talk to her ever again. But I feel I should. I feel I should point out to her what I THINK is wrong and how she should be chasing her son and DOING something for him.
But I don't think I should , or have the RIGHT, to do that.
Im not his mother, Im not his keeper. But I am his sister and I feel I could save him if only.. >sigh<
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,671 • Replies: 44
No top replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 07:18 am
oh shewolf, i am so sorry! i have no idea what to say. I do know my husband's family is in sorta the same situation. his older brother sounds much like your younger brother. he does drugs, drinks all the time, and steals from his parents and has done so since he was about 14. he was arrested shortly after i met my husband and was then paroled about a year ago. his parents went and picked him up from prison, rented an apartment, furnished it, supplied him with food and a job and guess what? he violated parole and is back in prison. i see my inlaws as enablers-they make it easy for him (which you would think would allow him to get on his feet and get going), but he simply uses them time and time again.

i guess my story is the other side of the fence from yours. maybe there is some happy medium in there that allows people to change, because from your story, the kicking him out didnt work, and from mine, the complete support approach didn't work either. it is amazing to me because my hubby and his twin brother turned out fine, and i can't imagine his parents did anything different in raising each of the three boys.

i wish you and your brother the best of luck. have faith.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 07:27 am
Oh my, this story is also familiar for me! My hubbys brother was like that for the longest time....drugs, drinking, stealing, getting i trouble with the cops, disrespecting everyone including his mom...and who did anything about it? No one. No one tells him it is unacceptable and that if he punches one more hole in the wall he can move out. Everyone just pretends nothing happens. **sigh** It's frustrating.

Shewolf, darling, there is nothing you can do except stand back and watch the train wreck. I am serious. Even though you are "in the circle" and I am out of the circle (in law), your mother is still going to raise her son the way she sees fit. You can say something where as I can't but it won't do anything except drive a wedge between you and your mom. And I know you don't want that. You can sit down and talk to her about it just to get it out but I would leave it at that. Your mom seems to have gotten to the end of her rope and perhaps doesn't want to deal with it anymore. And do you blame her? Sometimes tough love is all we have.

We're here for you so vent away.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 07:29 am
i dont know what it is like to live with an out of control teenager.
Or ANY teenager for that matter.
I dont know what my mom went through, though she told me quite a bit!
I dont know what it feels like
I dont know , I dont know, I dont know.
Im not there. My child is only 1 1/2 not 17, 16, or 19

but this strikes me as very wrong.
He is schitzophrenic. How is it ok to leave him in the streets because you dontknow what to do ?

I give my mom this,
she has called on any and all legal systems to help him. Even filed simple misdemeanor charges to GET him in the legal system to get him psychaitric placement. ( strange way .. but hey)

I dont know. Im not there. Im not my mom.. I guess I dont have alot of room to talk. but it still just seems wrong.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 07:40 am
would it be possible to get him into a mental institution? does your mom have the financial resources for that? i guess that would be my only suggestion at this point cause i don't know what else. i am in bella's shoes, its my inlaws so i can't do anything. can she go to the doctor who diagnosed him as schizophrenic and ask him to commit your brother so you know he at least isn't living on the streets? i mean i know it isn't ideal, but is it an option?

also, is he in that bad of shape that he would need to be in an institution for help? does he need to take drugs? would they maybe make them easier for him to control himself? if it is a viable option, is there a way for your mom to do it?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 07:41 am
So I am assuming he doesn't take his meds, right?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 07:50 am
he doesnt take meds at all. He has been diagnosed, but because he is over 18, my mother can do little in the legal sense .
She cant commit him without his agreement unless he is a physical threat to himself.
She has had her own personal doc write an order to have him committed, BUT he had drugs in his system and since he did , the psychiatric facility claimed they couldnt do a proper eval on him and had to let him go.
You have to be sober so they can evaulate you.
dumbasses .
But it makes sense. I mean, if they are to properly treat you, they have to be able to see the WHOLE problem and drugs bring out diffrent behaviors.

In Albq , there isnt much in the way of psychiatric facilities
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 07:58 am
i think i watch too much law and order, but can't they issue something that declares him incapable of making decisions for himself and thus letting your mom do it? and why the f wouldn't the psychiatric facility just hold him, watch him go thru withdrawl and then make a decision...they suck. my heart goes out to you and your fam...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:08 am
the facility is state run, and apparently crowded.
They have these stupid rules in place I guess to protect the numbers of patients from getting out of control.

I dont know if there is something like that , that can declare him incapable.
If there WAS, he would have to be around to take some sort of evaluation... i think
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:38 am
It's amazing how many of us have these nightmare stories. Sometimes I think people should have to take training, pass a test and get a license to be permited to have children.

The worst thing is so much f*cked up behavior as far as raising kids gets passed down from generation to generation.

Shewolf, I really feel for you....If you don't mind, may I vent a little also?

What I remember from earliest childhood is hating my father SO much and wishing he could just go away. He was cruel and sadistic and if there is a hell there is no doubt he is burning in it. I never received a moments respite from him.
The worst part was that you never knew when it was coming.....Imagine a dog that alternately gets hit, feed, ignored, walked, chained up, but with absolutely no connection to its behavior. What would prompt hours of screaming and humiliation one day, would be completely ignored on another.
Years pass, I became alcoholic and generally just wasted so much potential. You know the story.
At one point I was living in Fla and my sister, 5 years younger came to visit me and my boyfriend. She was 18 or 19, and still living at home
When she got off the plane - she was rip roaring drunk, and I could tell from her appearance she had a bad coke habit (this was before crack)
I mean, she looked SO bad anyone could see there was a major problem. That is, except my parents. I never spoke to my father unless absolutely forced to by this time, but when I spoke on the phone to my mother, it was as if nothing were wrong. Being so messed up myself at that time, I had a twisted sense of loyalty to my little sis so never brought up the drugs.
I won't bore anyone with all the story's, but in a nutshell, this is what my family looked like by the time my father died.
Oldest daughter - weighs at least 300 lbs. she can't be that hungry.
Oldest son - spits up blood because of nerves.
Next son - dead - died of alcoholism at age of 34 (I was 30 and newly sober at the time, maybe a year.)
Me
Little Sister - Somewhat straightened out, but still seeing phychiatrists, not taking advice, terrified of the world.

I few years back I had my own personal crisis and went into therapy, needing to purge the hatred of my father. Actually, and it sound so cliche, but it was pointed out to me that although so many things were done to us kids (in particular me, My younger sister always said that for some reason it was always worse for me, eventually I became my siblings scapegoat too - I was fair game I suppose) that my mother never once stopped what was happening.
Over the next year I realized so much - how could a person who gave birth to you watch you be tormented?
The answer I learned within myself was that has long as she was getting what she wanted out of her marriage, it simply didn't matter the cost others had to pay.
Shortly before she died - I spoke with her about some particulars that needed to be brought into the open - predictably, even on her deathbed, she denied.
So Shewolf - perhaps it's not that your mom just can't handle. Is there a possibility she never had any intent to?
Thanks for listening - my life is good - but sometimes it's hard not to resent never having what some others take for granted.

Once - I saw a man and is little girl walking through a parking lot. He noticed her sneaker was untied. He had her stand up on the curb, leaned over to tie it, then picked her up, put her on his hip and walked into the store. I had to go back to the car to cry. And it's making me cry right now.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:55 am
High parents,, have high kids, who in turn create a new generation of high kids.
Horrible cycle.

it is perfectly FINE to vent. ;-)
In fact i appreciate it. I likeknowing about other people anyways and it gives me a diffrent view of essentially the same situation.

I call it the June Cleaver syndrome.
Smile, make a pie, ignore, act like nothing is wrong. Less attention you give a situation the less truth it has.
Why do I call it June Cleaver? Laughing I have NO idea..

maybe my mom just doesnt know HOW or WHAT to do,.
THen again,she may not be ABLE to do anything and to save herself and her sanity, she has called it quits.

maybe your mom chai was of the same mindset.
Better to keep smiling then delve into things you cant control?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 09:16 am
BBB
bm
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 09:17 am
I don't think there is anything that the state can do unless he is a danger to himself or society. And from the sounds of it, you could make a good case. Perhaps you should call the local psych ward and find out.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 09:21 am
I did call them. That is how I know why they let him go. And the stance they take on drugs makes no fgn sense to me.
If you are working in a psych ward.. and someone is brought in by family members who say there is a problem and the person they bring in is HIGH is that not a damn CLUE?
People who are fine, and able to cope with life on lifes terms DONT GET HIGH.
>sigh<
im gonna cry for a while.
this really hurts and pisses me off on more levels then i can handle.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 09:27 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
bm

Every time I see "bm" i think Bowel Movement. hee hee hee...
Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 09:27 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I did call them. That is how I know why they let him go. And the stance they take on drugs makes no fgn sense to me.
If you are working in a psych ward.. and someone is brought in by family members who say there is a problem and the person they bring in is HIGH is that not a damn CLUE?
People who are fine, and able to cope with life on lifes terms DONT GET HIGH.
>sigh<
im gonna cry for a while.
this really hurts and pisses me off on more levels then i can handle.

Before you cry look at my post....do it! Do it now! And at least smile....pleeeeeessseeeeee????
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 09:42 am
shewolfnm wrote:

maybe your mom chai was of the same mindset.
Better to keep smiling then delve into things you cant control?

mmmmmmmmm....no.

Not much smiling, felt she could control everything, even God.

was told many times "I had your father, before I had you"

Your brother? Are you sure you can't become his legal guardian?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 09:53 am
Shewolf:

As difficult as it is to see your brother struggle, your mom is right. This is your brother's life. He has to choose for himself if he wants to live under a bridge or engage in the hard work necessary to live a normal, responsible life. The best helping hand any person will ever have is the one at the end of his or her own wrist.

Your mom is right. Your brother is an adult. Your mother was unable to control him and teach him when he was a teenager--he wouldn't listen. He took having a roof over his head and food in the house for granted--these necessities of life were simply things that he didn't have to provide for himself. He wouldn't live by the rules established for his own good so he could take advantage of his educational opportunities and ultimately prepare for adulthood.

Your mom tried to prepare your brother for adulthood--she reached out to the community and accessed professional programs to help both you and your brother--but she couldn't FORCE either you or your brother to see the merits of controlling your own behavior and to appreciate the merits of going to school, getting an education, and learning responsibility. You had minds of your own and you wouldn't listen and she couldn't beat "good sense" into either of you.

Just as you had a mind of your own and refused to live by the rules in the house--your brother has chosen a similar path. You had to learn from your own experiences and from hardship that successful adult living requires acceptance of personal responsibility.

You have to get an education; you have to get a job; you have to work hard so your boss doesn't fire you; you have to bring home a steady paycheck; you have to pay for the roof over your head and the food in your belly; and when you have kids of your own--you try your best to teach your children the merits of personal responsibility so they don't have to struggle so hard to learn. But your children will have minds of their own too.

The problem isn't that your mom isn't doing enough to help your brother; the problem is that your brother isn't doing enough to help himself. It's his life and he needs to accept personal responsibility for making his own life better--or he will have to live under a bridge somewhere as a homeless person. The choice is his choice--this isn't something your mom would have chosen for him.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 10:19 am
Debra Law
Debra Law, what makes Shewolf's brother's case harder to resolve is that he is schitzophrenic. Your advice is appropriate for a person who is not afflicted with a terrible mental illness. Until the young man is able to get treatment for his schitzophrenia, it's nearly impossible to treat the other problems.

I feel great pain for everyone in this suffering family.

BBB
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 10:27 am
I know you are exactly right debra. On all levels.
A mother is a mother, not a puppeteer
A mother cannot make her child do anything, they can just teach them how
I am not a mother of a teenager , there for I dont know HOW to raise a teenager. My child doesnt have a mental issue, there for I dont know how to deal with one.
I know deep down, no matter how angry I may be that my mom DID do the right thing for me because I would NOT listen to her. Maybe , well OBVIOUSLY, my brother is doing the same things.

the more I chew this situation over, the more I see that things are not horrible, that mymother isnt being unreasonable.. that she is just out of options and that my brother is at apoint in his life where,
if my mom keeps helping , she will be enabling
if she backs out he has to learn
i she offers assistance, he will steal

pretty much at the end of her rope.
I wonder if it was like this with me as well.. Confused
0 Replies