Foxfyre

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:20 am
Well I admit I would not mind seeing the law change to provide some protection for the unborn, and that, though it would not be a deal breaker for me, would be considered in my choice of candidate for the House, Senate, President, or Supreme Court. I definitely would like to see our society return to a culture of life instead of one that sees no moral or ethical consequence of indiscriminately destroying the unborn. I would not agree to all abortion for any reason being outlawed.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 01:38 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
There are eye witness accounts of nurses standing on on the so-called partial birth abortions and who witnessed perfectly healthy babies killed as they emerged from the womb? Why? Because there was a minimal risk to the mother--no more risk than is present in many live births--and/or the woman didn't want a scar either during the birth or via C-section. She just didn't get around to taking care of it earlier or for whatever reason wanted the experience of being pregnant but not of being a mother. Sometimes a woman has her baby killed just because she is tired of being pregnant.

My understanding is that a woman had the right to a legal abortion up until the 24th week of pregnancy. After that, before Bush signed the bill banning the practice, there had to be a damn good reason for a woman to have a partial birth abortion. I really question as to whether any ethical doctor would perform a partial birth abortion, unless there were a serious reason to do so.

Personally, I think that it is unconscionable for a woman who is in no danger herself, to terminate a perfectly normal late term pregnancy, through partial birth abortion, out of "convenience". If her life or health is at risk, that is another story.

From what I have read, partial birth abortions were extremely rare occurrences happening only in extremely exceptional circumstances. I tend to think that the horror stories were fanciful tales that were bandied about for the benefit of those who would like to inflame others about the ramifications of abortion.

I would love to see documentation from a nurse who, under oath, testified to a frivolous partial birth abortion. As far as I am concerned, "stories" that you hear are simply scuttlebutt, and have no veracity.

Quote:
There are eye witness accounts of nurses standing on on the so-called partial birth abortions and who witnessed perfectly healthy babies killed as they emerged from the womb?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 03:08 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
There are eye witness accounts of nurses standing on on the so-called partial birth abortions and who witnessed perfectly healthy babies killed as they emerged from the womb? Why? Because there was a minimal risk to the mother--no more risk than is present in many live births--and/or the woman didn't want a scar either during the birth or via C-section. She just didn't get around to taking care of it earlier or for whatever reason wanted the experience of being pregnant but not of being a mother. Sometimes a woman has her baby killed just because she is tired of being pregnant.

...........From what I have read, partial birth abortions were extremely rare occurrences happening only in extremely exceptional circumstances. I tend to think that the horror stories were fanciful tales that were bandied about for the benefit of those who would like to inflame others about the ramifications of abortion.

I would love to see documentation from a nurse who, under oath, testified to a frivolous partial birth abortion. As far as I am concerned, "stories" that you hear are simply scuttlebutt, and have no veracity.

Statement of Brenda Pratt Shafer, R.N.

Before the Subcommittee on the Constitution
Committee on the Judiciary
U.S. House of Representatives

Hearing on The Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act (HR 1833)

March 21, 1996

Mr. Chairman and honorable members of the Judiciary Committee, I am Brenda Pratt Shafer. I am here before you, at the request of the Committee, to relate to you my experience as an eyewitness to what is now known as the partial-birth abortion procedure.

I am a registered nurse, licensed in the State of Ohio, with 14 years of experience. In 1993, I was employed by Kimberly Quality Care, a nursing agency in Dayton, Ohio. In September, 1993, Kimberly Quality Care asked me to accept assignment at the Women's Medical Center, which is operated by Dr. Martin Haskell. I readily accepted the assignment because I was at that time very pro-choice. I had even told my teenage daughters that if one of them ever got pregnant at a young age, I would make them get an abortion. They disagreed with me on this, and one of them even wrote an essay for a high school class that mentioned how we differed on the issue.

So, because of the strong pro-choice views that I held at that time, I thought this assignment would be no problem for me.

But I was wrong. I stood at a doctor's side as he performed the partial-birth abortion procedure-- and what I saw is branded forever on my mind.

I worked as an assistant nurse at Dr. Haskell's clinic for three days-- September 28, 29, and 30, 1993.

On the first day, we assisted in some first-trimester abortions, which is all I'd expected to be involved in. (I remember that one of the patients was a 15-year-old-girl who was having her third abortion.)

On the second day, I saw Dr. Haskell do a second-trimester procedure that is called a D & E (dilation and evacuation). He used ultrasound to examine the fetus. Then he used forceps to pull apart the baby inside the uterus, bringing it out piece by piece and piece, throwing the pieces in a pan.

Also on the first two days, we inserted laminaria to dilate the cervixes of women who were being prepared for the partial-birth abortions-- those who were past the 20 weeks point, or 4 1\2 months. (Dr. Haskell called this procedure "D & X", for dilation and extraction.) There were six or seven of these women.

On the third day, Dr. Haskell asked me to observe as he performed several of the procedures that are the subject of this hearing. Although I was in that clinic on assignment of the agency, Dr. Haskell was interested in hiring me full time, and I was being given orientation in the entire range of procedures provided at that facility.

I was present for three of these partial-birth procedures. It is the first one that I will describe to you in detail.

The mother was six months pregnant (26 1/2 weeks). A doctor told her that the baby had Down Syndrome and she decided to have an abortion. She came in the first two days to have the laminaria inserted and changed, and she cried the whole time. On the third day she came in to receive the partial-birth procedure.

Dr. Haskell brought the ultrasound in and hooked it up so that he could see the baby. On the ultrasound screen, I could see the heart beating. As Dr. Haskell watched the baby on the ultrasound screen, the baby's heartbeat was clearly visible on the ultrasound screen.

Dr. Haskell went in with forceps and grabbed the baby's legs and pulled them down into the birth canal. Then he delivered the baby's body and the arms-- everything but the head. The doctor kept the baby's head just inside the uterus.

The baby's little fingers were clasping and unclasping, and his feet were kicking. Then the doctor stuck the scissors through the back of his head, and the baby's arms jerked out in a flinch, a startle reaction, like a baby does when he thinks that he might fall.

The doctor opened up the scissors, stuck a high-powered suction tube into the opening and sucked the baby's brains out. Now the baby was completely limp. I was really completely unprepared for what I was seeing. I almost threw up as I watched the doctor do these things.

Mr. Chairman, I read in the paper that President Clinton says that he is going to veto this bill. If President Clinton had been standing where I was standing at that moment, he would not veto this bill.

Dr. Haskell delivered the baby's head. He cut the umbilical cord and delivered the placenta. He threw that baby in a pan, along with the placenta and the instruments he'd used. I saw the baby move in the pan. I asked another nurse and she said it was just "reflexes."

I have been a nurse for a long time and I have seen a lot of death-- people maimed in auto accidents, gunshot wounds, you name it. I have seen surgical procedures of every sort. But in all my professional years, I had never witnessed anything like this.

The woman wanted to see her baby, so they cleaned up the baby and put it in a blanket and handed the baby to her. She cried the whole time, and she kept saying, "I'm so sorry, please forgive me!" I was crying too. I couldn't take it. That baby boy had the most perfect angelic face I have ever seen.

I was present in the room during two more such procedures that day, but I was really in shock. I tried to pretend that I was somewhere else, to not think about what was happening. I just couldn't wait to get out of there. After I left that day, I never went back. These last two procedures, by the way, involved healthy mothers with healthy babies.

I was very much affected by what I had seen. For a long time, sometimes still, I had nightmares about what I saw in that clinic that day.

That's why, last July, I wrote a letter to Congressman Tony Hall of Dayton, in support of the bill, telling what I had seen. And that led to me being asked to tell others what I'd seen, just as I am doing here today.

Mr. Chairman, since I wrote that letter to Congressman Tony Hall, I have been subjected to some strange attacks on my credibility, and I would like to address these briefly.

Last July 12, I sat in the audience as the full Judiciary Committee debated this legislation, and I heard Congresswoman Schroeder read a letter from Dr. Haskell to the Judiciary Committee (also dated July 12) in which he said, "I have examined our records and found no evidence of a Brenda Shafer working for us during 1993."

Fortunately, I had previously provided the Constitution Subcommittee with the pertinent payroll records from Kimberly Quality Care, including their invoice to Dr. Haskell's clinic. After these documents were circulated, Congresswoman Schroeder withdrew that particular allegation, explaining it away as resulting from confusion over my married name. But it seemed peculiar to me at the time that neither she nor her staff had contacted me, or the subcommittee staff to request documentation, before she basically called me a liar in front of everybody. But there was much more of that sort of thing to come.

In his July 12 letter, Dr. Haskell said also said that my account was "inaccurate," because "she describes procedures at 26 1/2 weeks and 25 weeks... This is contrary to my own self-imposed and established limit of 24 weeks." But in recent times I've seen an article published in American Medical News for July 5, 1993-- just a few months before I worked for him-- in which Dr. Haskell said that he performs the procedure "up until about 25 weeks," which conflicts with his letter to the Judiciary Committee.

Also, in Dr. Haskell's 1992 paper describing the partial-birth procedure, "Dilation and Extraction for Late Second Trimester Abortion," which you have all seen, he wrote,

"This author routinely performs this procedure on all patients 20 through 24 weeks LMP [i.e., from last menstrual period] with certain exceptions. The author performs the procedure on selected patients 25 through 26 weeks LMP." Keep in mind that this 26 1/2 week little boy had Down syndrome, so this was a "selected patients" case.

Later, I learned another letter had been produced by Dr. Haskell's operation, dated July 17, this one signed by Christie Gallivan, a nurse. This letter was cited by opponents of the bill before and during the House and Senate floor debates, and was even entered into the Congressional Record by Senator Barbara Boxer.

In this letter, Christie Gallivan acknowledged that I had worked at the clinic for three days, but went on to claim that since I was a temporary nurse, I "would not have been present" at such a procedure-- or, then again, in the alternative, that if I did see such a procedure, then my memory must be faulty, or else that I must be deliberately "misrepresenting" what I saw.

Well, as I've said from the beginning, although I was assigned by a temporary agency, Dr. Haskell needed another surgical nurse-- I was told that he was having a hard time keeping them-- and he seemed to be interested in hiring me on a permanent basis. He wanted me to observe the procedure. Christie Gallivan was the surgical nurse and she spent those three days giving me an "orientation," as it says on the Kimberly Quality Care invoice. But what is striking to me is how blatantly inconsistent Nurse Gallivan's letter is, not only with what I saw, but with what Dr. Haskell himself has written and said elsewhere.

Christie Gallivan wrote, "Dr. Haskell does not use ultrasound in the performance of second-trimester procedures." Then she went on, regarding my account, "Therefore, her entire description of her experience with viewing the second-trimester abortion, which includes Dr. Haskell using the ultrasound while doing this procedure, is clearly questionable."

Yet, in Dr. Haskell's paper explaining how he performs the procedure, he clearly states that the surgical assistant "places an ultrasound probe on the patient's abdomen and scans the fetus, locating the lower extremities." And a little further on, referring to the forceps, he wrote, "When the instrument appears on the sonogram screen, the surgeon is able to open and close its jaws to firmly and reliably grasp a lower extremity."

So when Christie Gallivan writes that I could not have seen a baby moving, you can evaluate-that statement in the light of her other statements on these points on which there is such a clear written record. And you should notice that she never tries to explain, in this letter, why anyone should believe that these babies supposedly don't move. I've been given a copy of a transcript of the tape-recorded interview with Dr. Haskell conducted by the American Medical News in June, 1993-- only three months before my time at his clinic-- in which he explicitly acknowledged that most of these babies are alive when he pulls them out.

On November 17, I testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee. Senator Kennedy asked me why it had been reported, in a nursing newsletter, that I was employed by the National Right to Life Committee. As replied, and I tell you know, I've never been a member of, or a donor to that organization, and certainly in no sense an employee.

Certainly, since last summer I have cooperated with National Right to Life in their efforts to make my experience more widely known, because I think it's important that people know the truth about this matter. But National Right to Life has not paid me for anything, and nobody else has paid me for anything in connection with this subject either, beyond reimbursing travel and accommodation expenses. By the way, the editor of the nursing newsletter subsequently retracted the erroneous claim.

Most recently, I got a copy of a letter sent to a constituent by Congresswoman Lynn Rivers of Michigan, written in longhand, in which this distinguished member of Congress claimed that I "was unwilling to testify under oath or submit herself to cross examination in front of Congress-- even though she was sitting in the hearing room while testimony was being taken."

Of course, Mr. Chairman, that is all pure fiction. By the time I heard of your bill and wrote my letter to Congressman Hall, on July 9, you had already concluded the hearing on your legislation. I was present for the July 12 markup, and spoke with various members of the committee and the press informally, but of course there was no opportunity for me to formally testify on that occasion, although I certainly would have welcomed the opportunity.

In November, when Senator Hatch invited me to testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee, I accepted immediately and without qualification. During the question period, Senator Kyl asked me if I would be willing to testify to these things under oath and I replied, "Yes, sir, I would. Or under a lie detector or anything else I need to do." [Senate hearing record, p. 63] And I tell you the same thing.

Mr. Chairman, thank you for indulging me in unburdening myself on these points. It is been frustrating to hear, and hear of, these attacks on my truthfulness, and not be able to respond.

It is still amazing to me that certain individuals who hold high elective offices, offices for which I hold great respect, have been so willing to publicly spread this kind of blatant misinformation about me, without making the slightest effort to investigate or look at any of the documentation.

Mr. Chairman, these people who say I didn't see what I saw-- I wish they were right. I wish I hadn't seen it. But I did see it, and I will never be able to forget it. That baby boy was only inches, seconds away from being entirely born, when he was killed. What I saw done to that little boy, and to those other babies, should not be allowed in this country.

Thank you.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 03:09 pm
Okay, you want documentation. Here it is:

The partial-birth-abortion ban was signed into law in 2003, but the usual pro-abortion groups immediately went into action and the ban is being challenged in the courts. It will almost certainly go before the Supreme Court along with other abortion issues:

By Steve Crampton | Chief Counsel, AFA Center

Quote:
On November 5, President George W. Bush signed into law the Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act of 2003, the first direct national restriction on any method of abortion since the infamous Roe v. Wade decision in 1973. Twice before, in 1995 and 1997, Congress passed similar legislation, but President Bill Clinton vetoed the bills.

Almost before the ink was dry after President Bush signed the new ban, however, a federal court in Nebraska ruled it unconstitutional. Within days, two other federal courts followed suit. This lightning-quick action by the courts raises several questions. Is the law unconstitutional on its face? What effect, if any, would the law have on the current practices of the abortion industry? Why did the courts act so quickly to prohibit enforcement of the ban?

More. . .
http://www.afajournal.org/2004/january/104death.asp

Further discussion on the Partial Birth Abortion Act:
http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/pba/PBAall110403.html

Both sides in lengthy discussion in Harpers:
http://www.harpers.org/GamblingWithAbortion.html

And here are some eye witness accounts of partial birth abortions.
WARNING: graphic content. Not for the squeamish.

http://www.priestsforlife.org/testimony/pbawitness.htm

http://www.suewidemark.com/shafer2.htm

http://www.cogforlife.org/abortiontranscript2.htm

http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/mis/mis_17realitypartialabr.html

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1110761/posts

http://www.reclaimamerica.org/pages/NEWS/newspage.asp?story=1668
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 06:01 pm
This cannot be allowed to happen! Fox, I nearly threw up reading this. That poor child! That poor mother! That poor nurse!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 06:09 pm
I cannot for the life of me understand how anybody could condone or permit this except in the most extreme case where the mother's life was at stake and most OB GYNs say they can't imagine that being a factor at full term as the procedure is more potentially damaging to the woman than is a normal birth.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 06:19 pm
This will be the third time I've posted this link in this thread ...

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5309a1.htm

Quote:
The highest percentages of reported abortions were for women who were unmarried (82%), white (55%) and aged <25 years (52%). Of all abortions for which gestational age was reported, 59% were performed at <8 weeks' gestation and 88% at <13 weeks. From 1992 (when detailed data regarding early abortions were first collected) through 2001, steady increases have occurred in the percentage of abortions performed at <6 weeks' gestation. A limited number of abortions were obtained at >15 weeks' gestation, including 4.3% at 16--20 weeks and 1.4% at >21 weeks

If you follow the CDC reporting, the most significant increase has been in abortions happening earlier than 6 weeks.

Additionally,
Quote:
During 1990--1997, the number of legal induced abortions gradually declined. When the same 48 reporting areas are compared, the number of abortions decreased during 1996--2001. In 2000 and 2001, even with one additional reporting state, the number of abortions declined slightly.

Abortions are decreasing, late term abortions are increasingly rare - and rarely other than medically mandated. The PBA discussion is, to be polite, a diversion.

~~~~~~~~~

In any case, it's not my business what any of you do with your bodies, and none of your business what I do with mine.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 06:24 pm
Is that enough documention, Phoenix?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 06:33 pm
The problem with the CDC report site ehBeth reported--though the figures it cites are absolutely apalling--is the one phrase repeated at least twice, maybe more: "when the number of weeks of gestation were reported". . .then gives the stats of the number of weeks old the baby is when aborted.

It does not give the percentage of the total, however, that the number of weeks of gestation were not reported.

This gives much suspicion that there is a much higher percentage of mid to late term abortions than would be concluded just looking at the numbers when we know how many weeks of gestation had accrued at the time the baby is aborted.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 06:44 pm
Ehbeth wrote:
Quote:
Abortions are decreasing, late term abortions are increasingly rare - and rarely other than medically mandated. The PBA discussion is, to be polite, a diversion.

1% of 1,000,000 is still 10,000
0 Replies

anastasia

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:00 pm
when I was on abuzz I had a very interesting discussion about abortion.

that was FIVE YEARS AGO.

go on - HAVE one.

THEN say something!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:18 pm
real life wrote:
Hi Phoenix,

If you simultaneously hold that the unborn is a person at any given point but that abortion should still be legal at that point, you are already in a corner whether I paint you there or not.

I could never understand how a person could say, 'Yes it's a human being at X point , but if it's exterminated it's no skin off my nose. That's somebody else's business.'

In fairness, real life - the way you characterized that was just as bad as calling them baby killers. The conscientious among them aren't saying "It's no skin off my nose", but rather that "It's no ones's right to decide but the mother's".
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:26 pm
ehBeth wrote:
This will be the third time I've posted this link in this thread ...

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5309a1.htm

Quote:
The highest percentages of reported abortions were for women who were unmarried (82%), white (55%) and aged <25 years (52%). Of all abortions for which gestational age was reported, 59% were performed at <8 weeks' gestation and 88% at <13 weeks. From 1992 (when detailed data regarding early abortions were first collected) through 2001, steady increases have occurred in the percentage of abortions performed at <6 weeks' gestation. A limited number of abortions were obtained at >15 weeks' gestation, including 4.3% at 16--20 weeks and 1.4% at >21 weeks

If you follow the CDC reporting, the most significant increase has been in abortions happening earlier than 6 weeks.

Additionally,
Quote:
During 1990--1997, the number of legal induced abortions gradually declined. When the same 48 reporting areas are compared, the number of abortions decreased during 1996--2001. In 2000 and 2001, even with one additional reporting state, the number of abortions declined slightly.

~~~~~~~~~

In any case, it's not my business what any of you do with your bodies, and none of your business what I do with mine.

Speaking of diversions, you should know. The oft repeated mantra of 'it's the woman's body' is a willful attempt to obscure the discussion that there are two bodies involved -- the woman's and the unborn's.

The woman can do whatever she wishes with her body, but she also has responsibility for the body of the unborn. With that body, she should not have the power of life and death on a mere whim.

The PBA discussion is illustrative of the dilemma that pro-abortion fans must face.

Is the unborn worthy of protection 1 minute before birth?

How about two minutes?

At whatever point you decide that the right to life should be inviolate, then you must ask yourself: What about just prior to this arbitrary point that has been chosen? Why is the unborn not worthy of protection 1 minute, or 1 hour prior to the time that has been chosen?

I can well understand a thoughtful person concluding, "I just am not sure when the unborn is alive or when it is human. It is not clear at all when this takes place."

To this I must ask: Shouldn't the benefit of the doubt go to the unborn? If we are to err, should we not err on the side of life?

Or as another has put it more bluntly: You wouldn't bury a body unless you were sure it was dead, would you?

If then you are not sure if the unborn is alive or not, should we not proceed as if she MAY indeed be alive and not callously assume that there is no human life there, thus assuring death?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:00 pm
Am I going nuts or has a whole page disappeared here? And we were all being nice too.
0 Replies

anastasia

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:46 pm
you could read that as "go on, have a conversation - and then say something"... how interesting. that's not what I meant.

I dunno about a missing page, foxfyre.

but I tend to fly off the handle when people are being nice. dumb, huh?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 10:14 pm
snood wrote:
real life wrote:
Hi Phoenix,

If you simultaneously hold that the unborn is a person at any given point but that abortion should still be legal at that point, you are already in a corner whether I paint you there or not.

I could never understand how a person could say, 'Yes it's a human being at X point , but if it's exterminated it's no skin off my nose. That's somebody else's business.'

In fairness, real life - the way you characterized that was just as bad as calling them baby killers. The conscientious among them aren't saying "It's no skin off my nose", but rather that "It's no ones's right to decide but the mother's".

I disagree.
0 Replies

anastasia

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 10:17 pm
why?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 02:35 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Ehbeth wrote:
Quote:

1% of 1,000,000 is still 10,000

But stating it as a percentage makes it SEEM so rare.

Can't we just kinda pretend like it hardly ever happens?

This business about getting accurate records and figures and all; well it just gives these hard working abortionists lots of unnecessary publicity when folks find out things like abortion clinics are often exempted from the normal licensing, staffing and inspection requirements that other surgical centers must meet.

So if you go to a place where they remove a mole from your skin, the clinic may have had to pass more stringent requirements than a place where women go for major surgery (where even when it's legal, women not infrequently have died or undergone severe complications) such as an abortion clinic.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 02:27 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
I think most of us have been posting our own personal opinions and not forcing our opinions on women. We just don't agree with their choices.

I dunno about that. I think that there are people who are lobbying for changes in laws regarding abortions, based on their own personal opinions.

But of course, the folks who are pro-abortion would NEVER suggest that the law should agree with THEIR personal opinion, would they? Of course not.

What a double standard you put forward.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 09:54 pm
real life wrote:
Is the unborn worthy of protection 1 minute before birth?

How about two minutes?

At whatever point you decide that the right to life should be inviolate, then you must ask yourself: What about just prior to this arbitrary point that has been chosen? Why is the unborn not worthy of protection 1 minute, or 1 hour prior to the time that has been chosen?

I can well understand a thoughtful person concluding, "I just am not sure when the unborn is alive or when it is human. It is not clear at all when this takes place."

To this I must ask: Shouldn't the benefit of the doubt go to the unborn? If we are to err, should we not err on the side of life?

Or as another has put it more bluntly: You wouldn't bury a body unless you were sure it was dead, would you?

If then you are not sure if the unborn is alive or not, should we not proceed as if she MAY indeed be alive and not callously assume that there is no human life there, thus assuring death?

Life is a process, not a point. Just like all other vertibrates, the human embryo gradually grows a heart, brain and all of the other organs and systems and eventually the blob of undifferentiated cells becomes a human being. We do know quite a bit about the process, and one of the things we know is that the fetal brain does not develop to the point where awareness might be possible until at least 24 weeks gestation.

After that point (which coincidentally occurs about the same time as viability), the developing human life does have some legal protection. But if a choice must be made between the rights of a fully-aware woman who has grown and made a unique impact on the world for many years and a rudimentary life that exists only in potential, I cannot understand why anyone would claim a fetus has rights that superceed those of the woman who created it.

Abortions are NEVER done "one minute before birth." Or two minutes. Or 10, 1,000, or 10 thousand minutes before birth. During the last trimester, abortions may only be done for compelling medical reasons, such as to save the life or health of the woman or if the fetus has severe defects.
0 Replies