Intrepid

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:29 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Does a person who ends up in jail because of an irresponsible act not give up something? Freedom.

Interesting. So do you equate having an unwanted pregnancy with a crime? And if the irresponsible person who irresponsibly conceived, are you saying that her punishment is for the to be obliged to carry the pregnancy to term, and raise that child?

Wow! That is laying a lot of responsibility on what you consider an irresponsible person. Imagine if society had to deal with all those irresponsible women who had to give up their freedom of choice because of their irresponsibility, together with the products of their irresponsibility.

I gave an analogy. If you want to consider it a crime, that is up to you. You are speaking of punishment, not me. You obviously consider the irresponsible act of not taking precautions to prevent a pregnancy to be free of responsibility. You further consider that there is a punishment involved for the mother but not the fetus. The punishment that you advocate for the living fetus is death.

Society has already accepted resonsibility for that and much more. I don't have to imagine it I can see it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:30 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I don't think a woman needs to give up control over her own body at all. She isn't required to give up control over her own body after her baby is born.

But she is while pregnant?

And you want to pass that off as "not giving up control over her body at all?"

Do you read what you write?

Quote:

Nor is she allowed to intentionally harm that baby or any child in any way. It doesn't matter that the baby cries incessantly or totally cramps her social life or keeps her awake when she wants to sleep or needs food when she would much rather be doing something else. She is not ethically or morally or legally allowed to harm the child no matter what that does to her body. She may not want the child. She may hate it. She may give it away. But she is not legally allowed to intentionally harm it.

But she is legally allowed to terminate a pregnancy if she chooses. So what is your point?

Quote:
Why should it be in different before the baby is born?

Because the law...rightly, in my opinion....allows a woman to choose to terminate a pregnancy.

Quote:
When she makes the choice to risk pregnancy, why should the new life within her be punished? The woman still has complete choice over her own body. But she also has responsibility for the new life that she chose to bring into the world. It doesn't matter that it is an inconvenience or that she doesn't want it or she hates the idea of being pregnant. She should not harm the life that she took on as a passenger.

She has a right to choose to terminate her pregnancy. The fetus does not have any rights that cause her to lose that right.

What don't you understand about that?

Quote:
Once we agree on that issue is settled, then the other issues such as rape, incest, health of the mother, welfare of babies when there are too many to live, etc. can be debated. There is no point in debating any of it so long as the developing baby is considered a parasite or some other subhuman adjective.

Really!

Because you say so?

The issue that has to be "settled" is: Does a woman have a right to make decisions about her own body?

You seem to think she doesn't.

Many of us think she does.

The law thinks she does.

Once that is settled (and I think it has been)...there is no need to go into any of that other stuff. It resolves itself.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:40 pm
Some of us think that something being legal does not necessarily make it a good thing.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:41 pm
Quote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Quote:
Intrepid wrote:
If a woman becomes pregnant through consentual intercourse, she has done so of her own free will and should follow through without using abortion as a form of birth control. She, and her partner, should have been more responsible in the first place.

Intrepid- So may I conclude by what you are saying is that a woman deserves to be deprived the rights to her body because of an irresponsible act? On the other hand, if the pregnancy was not her "fault", (as through rape) she is entitled to control her body?

Does a person who ends up in jail because of an irresponsible act not give up something? Freedom.
[/color][/b]

Intrepid wrote:
I gave an analogy. If you want to consider it a crime, that is up to you. You are speaking of punishment, not me.

Intrepid- It was YOU who created the analogy of a person going to jail because of an irresponsible act.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:54 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Some of us think that something being legal does not necessarily make it a good thing.

And some of us think that "...not giving up control over her body at all" actually means...

...not giving up control over her body at all.

So what is your point?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 03:11 pm
And some of us think having control of your body is not a license to injure or kill your kids.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 03:12 pm
Foxfyre,

Excellently put!

Frank,

My point is simply this.

You believe that I am trying to take away a woman's right by not wanting abortion banned and you have stated I am wrong in trying to do so.

I believe you are trying to take away my right for freedom of religion by wanting freedom from religion and seem to think it is ok for you to do so.

You would advocate the right for a woman to have freedom of choice but not my right to freedom of religion?

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 03:21 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
And some of us think having control of your body is not a license to injure or kill your kids.

And having control over your body...means having control over your body.

We are talking about the right to terminate a pregnancy...not a license to kill kids.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 03:23 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

And having control over your body...means having control over your body.

We are talking about the right to terminate a pregnancy...not a license to kill kids.

Some of us believe it is the same thing.

Frank, would you agree simply put that a fetus is a developing human being?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 03:30 pm
For those of us who believe the unborn baby is still a baby, killing it is killing it no matter what words you use to describe the deed.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 03:32 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
For those of us who believe the unborn baby is still a baby, killing it is killing it no matter what words you use to describe the deed.

This goes without saying. If you consider the fetus to be human then killing it would not be an option.

However, for those who DON'T believe the FETUS is a human, the word "killing" doesn't' really come into play.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 03:32 pm
Momma Angel wrote:

My point is simply this.

You believe that...

I am not "believing" anything. If you cannot get that simple little fact through your head...how do you expect to understand things that are much, much more complicated.

Anyway...

Quote:
...I am trying to take away a woman's right by not wanting abortion banned and you have stated I am wrong in trying to do so.

I have????

I have now said three times that IT IS YOUR RIGHT TO DO SO.

Why do you have so much difficulty with that?

I will oppose anyone who attempts to take away those rights...BUT IT IS YOUR RIGHT TO DO SO.

Quote:
I believe you are trying to take away my right for freedom of religion by wanting freedom from religion and seem to think it is ok for you to do so.

Yes I do.

Quote:
You would advocate the right for a woman to have freedom of choice but not my right to freedom of religion?

Actually..YES...but that is not what is happening here.

You advocate whatever it is you want to advocate...and oppose whatever you want to oppose...

...and I will advocate whatever it is I want to advocate...and oppose whatever I want to oppose.

At the moment, I advocate the right of a woman to terminate her pregnancy if she chooses. I also advocate the elimination of religion as a net negative for society.

Is there some reason you want to deny me the right to advocate those two things?

I also want to oppose any efforts to take away a woman's right to terminate a pregnancy if she chooses.

Is there some reason you want to deny me the right to oppose that?

Quote:

What do you not understand about what I am saying?????
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 03:35 pm
And as an aside, this discussion is currently going through it's third cycle. As the human status of the unborn fetus is currently undertimined, I doubt any new and revealing logic can really be brought forth by either side to convince the other. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 03:36 pm
Well gee, Frank, when you make statements like it's a woman's right and no one should try to take it away from her, I kind of get you are telling me I am wrong to try to do that.

Well, at least you agree it's ok for you to try to take away someone's rights.

Now, why is it okay to take away some people's rights and not others?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 03:38 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Well gee, Frank, when you make statements like it's a woman's right and no one should try to take it away from her, I kind of get you are telling me I am wrong to try to do that.

There's a difference here. You're trying to take away someone elses rights, which is not, and never will be YOUR right.

Quote:

Unnecessary statement.

Quote:

Repetition of the same incorrect statement doesn't help. Sad
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 03:41 pm
Questioner,

If Frank is advocating freedom from religion, as he has stated he wants to wipe Christianity from mankind, that IS trying to take away my right to freedom of religion.

I don't want to get into it with you, but I would appreciate it if you wouldn't critique the necessity of my statements. I don't do that to you.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 03:44 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Questioner,

If Frank is advocating freedom from religion, as he has stated he wants to wipe Christianity from mankind, that IS trying to take away my right to freedom of religion.

I don't want to get into it with you, but I would appreciate it if you wouldn't critique the necessity of my statements. I don't do that to you.

Your previous statement was in error. You're attempting to use that erroneous statement to make a point. This indicates that the point will fail. If I make a statement that is in obvious error, I would HOPE that you would point it out to me so that I could either change said statement, or withdraw it altogether as it would do nothing but invalidate whatever point I was trying to make.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 03:49 pm
Questioner wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Questioner,

Your previous statement was in error. You're attempting to use that erroneous statement to make a point. This indicates that the point will fail. If I make a statement that is in obvious error, I would HOPE that you would point it out to me so that I could either change said statement, or withdraw it altogether as it would do nothing but invalidate whatever point I was trying to make.

Questioner,

Well, perhaps you need to explain to me how there is a difference between me trying to take away a woman's choice concerning abortion and Frank's trying to take away my choice for religion?

Seems to me, if he thinks I am trying to take away someone's right then he is also trying to take away someone's right. And I would like to know how he can say one is ok and the other is not.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 03:59 pm
Momma Angel wrote:

I think a part of the problem here is that you keep paraphrasing what I have said…rather than actually quoting what it is you have issue with.

Quote me directly.

I have now said four times that you have the right to advocate whatever you want to advocate…and that I have the right to do the same thing.

If that is not good enough for you…that is your problem.

Simply because I say you have the right to advocate whatever it is you choose to advocate…does not mean that I do not have considerations about the issue…or that I may not think you are on the wrong side of the question. Nor does it mean that I cannot oppose your position.

But that is covered by the fact that, now for the fourth time, I am telling you that you have a right to oppose whatever it is you want to oppose…and I have that same right.

Advocate what you will…and oppose what you will.

I will do the same thing.

I have no idea of what your problem is with this...but I'll stick with you until it finally penetrates.

Quote:

MA…I do not know if you are playing a game here…or if you truly are too dense to finally get this…

…but it is totally okay to try to do anything you want to do (providing it is not illegal).

PLEASE…GO AHEAD AND TRY TO TAKE AWAY A WOMAN'S RIGHTS TERMINATE A PREGNANCY IF SHE CHOOSES.

Do it!

Hire planes to write it in the sky.

Do it!

And allow me to oppose it if I choose.

I have my reasons for advocating certain positions…and my reasons for opposing certain positions. I am assuming you do also.

I've given my reasons for my advocacies and for my oppositions.

What is your problem with this?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 04:09 pm
Well, at least you are finally getting close to what I mean.

"I have my reasons for advocating certain positions…and my reasons for opposing certain positions. I am assuming you do also."

I know you have your reasons. What I am asking is what reason is it ok to advocate for someone trying to take away someone's right and not okay to try to take away someone elses?

Frank, I am not trying to argue here. I just am trying to understand. I had always thought you are an advocate for human rights (in general), but it seems you are not. I'm not playing a game. I am truly trying to understand something here.

I am sorry if you think I am dense. I am not dense. I am just obviously communicating the question in the correct manner.
0 Replies