Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:22 am
CerealKiller wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

I think the decision to abort or not to abort should be the woman's alone...and I do not think her decision not to abort should give the guy freedom from the responsibility the law places on the father of a child.

Thanks for your response Frank.

Your response surprises me a little because it seems somewhat inconsistent with your position...something you're usually not. I thought you would go the other way on that.

I am not sure of what you see as "inconsistent"...but I am willing to discuss that issue if you would like to go further with it.

Quote:
What did you think of Scott Peterson being charged with a double murder ? His wife and the fetus.

I think that under present California law...it made sense. I do not, however, think the present California law itself makes sense. I think it is a product of anti-choice people making such inroads into outlawing abortions as possible.

I certainly think that logical arguments can be made for protecting a pregnancy....and the zygote, embryo, or fetus present in a pregnancy...from termination other than at the behest of the pregnant woman herself. I just think calling it "murder" is inappropriate.

Quote:
In your estimation should that law be changed ?

Yes.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 03:33 am
Frank Apisa wrote:

I am not sure of what you see as "inconsistent"...but I am willing to discuss that issue if you would like to go further with it.

The inconsistency that I refer to is that you willingly give the woman a choice (to abort/not to abort).

But the male gets no such choice(whether he wants to abort or not) but is potentially burdened with a responsibility he may not choose.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 03:38 am
CerealKiller wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

The inconsistency that I refer to is that you willingly give the woman a choice (to abort/not to abort).

But the reason I feel that a woman should have a choice to abort or not to abort...is because the pregnancy is occurring in her body. It is, in my opinion, her right to do so because she should have the right to make decisions about her body...and whether or not it should continue to be the host to a pregnancy.

That is the choice.

The "father" does not have the pregnancy going on in his body.

Quote:
But the male gets no such choice(whether he wants to abort or not) but is potentially burdened with a responsibility he may not choose.

I am not willing to have the male decide whether or not the woman should continue a pregnancy or not...anymore than I would be willing to leave that choice up to the state.

I honestly do not see that as an inconsistency....but I understand that you do.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 04:09 am
Frank Apisa wrote:

But the reason I feel that a woman should have a choice to abort or not to abort...is because the pregnancy is occurring in her body. It is, in my opinion, her right to do so because she should have the right to make decisions about her body...and whether or not it should continue to be the host to a pregnancy.

That is the choice.

The "father" does not have the pregnancy going on in his body."

That's fine and very clear.

Frank Apisa wrote:

I am not willing to have the male decide whether or not the woman should continue a pregnancy or not...anymore than I would be willing to leave that choice up to the state..

Ok. But why not also give the man the CHOICE to financially walk away if he so desires? That's the part I find inconsistent. The woman gets to choose because it's her body, I understand.

But why doesn't the man get a CHOICE to be financially responsible or not ?
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 09:26 am
Yes, it is his money, shouldn't he get to choose wether or not he will the support child or not? If the woman gets a choice, then the only logical option would be to give the man the choice as well.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 09:29 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Yes, it is his money, shouldn't he get to choose wether or not he will the support child or not? If the woman gets a choice, then the only logical option would be to give the man the choice as well.

But, aren't we leaving responsibility for our own actions out of the equation? On both sides, male and female?
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 09:42 am
American society doesn't care if the littlest people get smashed....look at the way we solve our problems, abortion, pills, get rich quick schemes, etc. It is a dangerous trend that in the end will not be healthy for America.

I'm with you momma angel, people might learn to make better decisions if the consequences can't be erased so easily.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 09:55 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
American society doesn't care if the littlest people get smashed....look at the way we solve our problems, abortion, pills, get rich quick schemes, etc. It is a dangerous trend that in the end will not be healthy for America.

I'm with you momma angel, people might learn to make better decisions if the consequences can't be erased so easily.

Amen to that.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 12:11 pm
CerealKiller wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

That is the choice.

Quote:
The "father" does not have the pregnancy going on in his body."

That's fine and very clear.

Good!

Frank Apisa wrote:

I am not willing to have the male decide whether or not the woman should continue a pregnancy or not...anymore than I would be willing to leave that choice up to the state..

Ok. But why not also give the man the CHOICE to financially walk away if he so desires? That's the part I find inconsistent. The woman gets to choose because it's her body, I understand.

But why doesn't the man get a CHOICE to be financially responsible or not ?

Don't know how to explain it any better, Cereal.

The reason I think a woman has a choice is because it is her body that is being used as a host.

If the pregnancy is carried to term...WHICH I SEE TO BE STRICTLY HER CHOICE...a baby results.

The baby is the responsibility of the mother and father...and both should be made to endure the financial costs involved.

That simply is my opinion...and while it may differ from yours...I honestly do not see it as inconsistent. But if you do...I respect your right to do so.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:31 am
Quote:
The reason I think a woman has a choice is because it is her body that is being used as a host.

But that raises the question, if something goes on in my house, does the constitution have any say over it? And the answer is yes.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:44 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:

But that raises the question, if something goes on in my house, does the constitution have any say over it? And the answer is yes.

Wanna flesh that out a bit...and carry it to the point you are attempting to make?
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:59 am
I was just trying to use your logic and apply it to other things that are in my possesion....my body, my house, my property, etc. Does the law apply in the bounds of my possesions, was my question. Ex) If I murder someone, in my house, then does it count as murder?

....yes

Do they have to kill the fetus, to remove it, yes. I'm just wondering how that doesn't constitute as murder.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:03 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
I was just trying to use your logic and apply it to other things that are in my possesion....my body, my house, my property, etc. Does the law apply in the bounds of my possesions, was my question. Ex) If I murder someone, in my house, then does it count as murder?

....yes

Do they have to kill the fetus, to remove it, yes. I'm just wondering how that doesn't constitute as murder.

Read the law...you will understand.

Why do you think that a single cell is a human being?
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:07 am
How do you think that it is anything but a human? Humans are not based on how many cells they have, and if they were, how many cells would constitute a human? Enough to make them look "normal"?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:24 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
How do you think that it is anything but a human? Humans are not based on how many cells they have, and if they were, how many cells would constitute a human? Enough to make them look "normal"?

Well..a single cell is not a living human being, Thunder...and anyone who thinks it is probably too "far out" to try to be rational with.

You decide if you are.

By the way....slow day today???
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:53 am
It hardly resembles anything we think of as "human", if that's what you mean. I think our issue is...what is a human? You can take away a man's arm, his leg, etc., but when is he no longer human?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:00 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
It hardly resembles anything we think of as "human", if that's what you mean. I think our issue is...what is a human? You can take away a man's arm, his leg, etc., but when is he no longer human?

No...that is not what I mean.

I mean that a fetus is not a living human being.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:02 am
And my question is.....what is it then? What is a fetus? And...is it living?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:06 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
And my question is.....what is it then? What is a fetus? And...is it living?

The problem is where the line is drawn. It is absurd to call a cell, or even 2 or three cells a "human". However, when enough of the cells come together and begin to take the shape of the fetus things get cloudy.

However, to kill the apparent direction this discussion appears to be taking:

You can't label a cell or group of cells a human, simply because they would at some point become human if left well enough alone. Seeds aren't plants. If you consider this incorrect, then please expound upon your feelings on the topic of masturbation, since millions of potential "humans" die each time a young man feels the "urge".
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:11 am
It's called conception....

the sperm--->seed
the egg--->dirt, water, etc.

together----->growing plant
0 Replies