Intrepid

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 04:06 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
snood wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
snood wrote:
So your point is that if an act is not condemned by name by "the God of the bible", that the act is sanctioned by it?

My point is not a point...it is a question:

Why, if the act is such an abomination...was it never condemned by the god of the Bible...by Jesus...or by Paul.

The all certainly condemned all sorts of things.

Snood...why do you suppose none of them condemned abortion...even though someone like Hippocrates, working on behalf of Apollo, thought it repugnant enough to condemn?

Just a little old harmless question that didn't mean nothin', huh? You wouldn't be trying to add support to your overall "position" - that the "God of the bible" is petty, cruel, vindictive, etc., etc., etc., ? The "God of the bible" doesn't condemn female genital mutilation either - should reasonable people draw some sort of halfass conclusion from that?

If you like drawing halfassed conclusions...by all means, Snood...continue to do so.

I prefer not to do that.

In the meantime...in case you missed my question:

Why, considering you folks think it is such an abomination....do you suppose your god....Jesus...nor Paul....ever condemned abortion?

He/they condemned blasphemy and you continue to be one of the foremost proponents of it. If you do not accept what is written in the bible, why do you continually ask for evidence of things from it? Is it possible that you are trying to find peace or forgiveness for your own involvements (you specifically told us that you were responsible for and involved in two abortions) and thus feel you must justify abortion for your own agenda?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 04:17 am
Terry wrote:
Study Finds 29-Week Fetuses Probably Feel No Pain and Need No Abortion Anesthesia
Quote:
Taking on one of the most highly charged questions in the abortion debate, a team of doctors has concluded that fetuses probably cannot feel pain in the first six months of gestation and therefore do not need anesthesia during abortions.

Their report, being published today in The Journal of the American Medical Association, is based on a review of several hundred scientific papers, and it says that nerve connections in the brain are unlikely to have developed enough for the fetus to feel pain before 29 weeks.

The finding poses a direct challenge to proposed federal and state laws that would compel doctors to tell women having abortions at 20 weeks or later that their fetuses can feel pain and to offer them anesthesia specifically for the fetus. article

You forgot to include this
Quote:
Not all physicians agree. Dr. K. S. Anand, a pediatrician at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, said, "There is circumstantial evidence to suggest that pain occurs in the fetus."

For example, he said, tiny premature babies, as young as 23 or 24 weeks, cry when their heels are stuck for blood tests and quickly become conditioned to cry whenever anyone comes near their feet. "In the first trimester there is very likely no pain perception," Dr. Anand said. "By the second trimester, all bets are off and I would argue that in the absence of absolute proof we should give the fetus the benefit of the doubt if we are going to call ourselves compassionate and humane physicians."

Mr. Brownback said the new report did not raise questions about whether a fetus felt pain, only about when. "The child in the womb does experience pain," he said. "We knew there was a debate about at what age the child experiences pain."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 09:38 am
Intrepid wrote:
He/they condemned blasphemy and you continue to be one of the foremost proponents of it.

And your point is????

Quote:
If you do not accept what is written in the bible, why do you continually ask for evidence of things from it?

Because this is a Religion section of an Internet forum devoted to discussing these issues....and since we are discussing what the Bible says and does not say...I've got to deal with the book NO MATTER WHETHER I "accept what is written in it" or not.

Gosh, I've explained that so many times, I really am amazed that you folks cannot fathom it. It really is not all that difficult.

Quote:
Is it possible that you are trying to find peace or forgiveness for your own involvements (you specifically told us that you were responsible for and involved in two abortions) and thus feel you must justify abortion for your own agenda?

No...we are merely having a discussion...and I have asked a question that you are unable to deal with meaningfully...so you are now attempting to make it seem that the question is unfair or inappropriate...and are trying to change the subject with nonsense like this.

So tell me, Intrepid....why do you suppose that your god, Jesus, and Paul all failed to mention abortion...considering that you folks all seem to think it is such an abomination?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 06:37 am
Intrepid wrote:
Terry wrote:
Study Finds 29-Week Fetuses Probably Feel No Pain and Need No Abortion Anesthesia
Quote:
Taking on one of the most highly charged questions in the abortion debate, a team of doctors has concluded that fetuses probably cannot feel pain in the first six months of gestation and therefore do not need anesthesia during abortions.

Their report, being published today in The Journal of the American Medical Association, is based on a review of several hundred scientific papers, and it says that nerve connections in the brain are unlikely to have developed enough for the fetus to feel pain before 29 weeks.

The finding poses a direct challenge to proposed federal and state laws that would compel doctors to tell women having abortions at 20 weeks or later that their fetuses can feel pain and to offer them anesthesia specifically for the fetus. article

You forgot to include this
Quote:
Not all physicians agree. Dr. K. S. Anand, a pediatrician at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, said, "There is circumstantial evidence to suggest that pain occurs in the fetus."

For example, he said, tiny premature babies, as young as 23 or 24 weeks, cry when their heels are stuck for blood tests and quickly become conditioned to cry whenever anyone comes near their feet. "In the first trimester there is very likely no pain perception," Dr. Anand said. "By the second trimester, all bets are off and I would argue that in the absence of absolute proof we should give the fetus the benefit of the doubt if we are going to call ourselves compassionate and humane physicians."

Mr. Brownback said the new report did not raise questions about whether a fetus felt pain, only about when. "The child in the womb does experience pain," he said. "We knew there was a debate about at what age the child experiences pain."

Have you ever seen The Silent Scream video?
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 11:09 am
Frank Apisa wrote:

A fetus is a fetus....a child is a child. A fetus becomes a child...when it becomes a child...when it is born.

I understand the distinction you are making here Frank, but why do you suppose some people are charged with murder/manslaughter when they kill a fetus ?

For example if a man punches a woman in the stomach and the fetus dies, he will be charged with manslaughter and not just assault.

Why are women charged with neglect if they are drug/alcohol users while pregenant if it is only a fetus? The laws don't seem terribly consistent.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 05:29 pm
Quote:
The laws don't seem terribly consistent.

They are not. That is probably because the people who oppose abortion are attempting to chip away at Roe vs. Wade through the back door.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 09:30 pm
real life wrote:
Let's see. Overpopulation? So you think that extermination is a good solution to that?

I think abortion is the only solution, as opposed to a good solution. Nothing is perfect in this world.

Extermination? Gee I should be grateful you didn't quote me as saying "genocide."

real life wrote:
Or how about neglectful or abusive families? Yeah. The kid, if born, might be treated badly, so let's chop and dismember him.

Instead of misquoting me again, (I never said "chop and dismember" and I don't believe that is the only definition to abortion) why don't you offer some alternative solutions to:

- overpopulation
- abusive families
- STDs?

real life wrote:
You are not realistic.

You've said that to me twice now. Prove it, don't just say it.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 09:32 pm
CerealKiller wrote:
For example if a man punches a woman in the stomach and the fetus dies, he will be charged with manslaughter and not just assault.

I don't know what the laws regarding manslaughter and murder are in your particular jurisdiction, but in Australia, this is only regarded as mansalughter or murder if the killing was unlawful. That is what distinguishes a man punching his pregnant wife as opposed to a doctor performing an operation. It's just the same as a man killing another man, as opposed to a patient dying on the operation table through no fault of the surgeon.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 11:02 pm
pragmatic wrote:
real life wrote:
Let's see. Overpopulation? So you think that extermination is a good solution to that?

I think abortion is the only solution, as opposed to a good solution. Nothing is perfect in this world.

Extermination? Gee I should be grateful you didn't quote me as saying "genocide."

real life wrote:
Or how about neglectful or abusive families? Yeah. The kid, if born, might be treated badly, so let's chop and dismember him.

Instead of misquoting me again, (I never said "chop and dismember" and I don't believe that is the only definition to abortion) why don't you offer some alternative solutions to:

- overpopulation
- abusive families
- STDs?

real life wrote:
You are not realistic.

You've said that to me twice now. Prove it, don't just say it.

You think that abortion is the only solution to a perceived overpopulation problem. That's scary.

How are you defining "overpopulation" ? This is a term that has been used to scare people for a very long time, but what proof do you offer that it is a real problem as opposed to improper raising and distribution of food, for instance?

It was once thought that massive famines would be routine once we passed X number of people on Earth. Trouble is, we have passed X number as set by various folks at various times actually and surpassed it. No routine famines; in fact much of the human family is capable of feeding themselves better than they were 100 years ago.

So why is abortion the only solution to a problem that hasn't been proved to exist?

--------------------------

STDs? I guess I am kinda dense. But if you are referring to Sexually Transmitted Diseases, if a mother has an STD, she should work closely with her doctor to be sure that her child isn't affected by the STD. But how is killing the unborn a superior method than just treating the disease? Why must the unborn die because the mother has a disease?

--------------------------

Abusive families is always a weird rationale for abortion. I suppose if you were psychic you could determine which families would be abusive in the future (??)

If a mother or father is abusive NOW, is killing the unborn somehow LESS abusive?

How about punishing the mother or father for the abuses ALREADY committed instead of slapping their wrists? We could start with mandatory jail time of long duration for sexual abuse/incest instead of trying to counsel it out of them.

And while we are at it, the increasing number of public school teachers who are violating their students ought to do some serious jail time as well. Agreed? Abusive classrooms aren't any safer than abusive homes.

----------------------------

Whether the unborn is chopped and dismembered or chemically burned to death or run thru a suction machine the result is the same. The unborn is dead. So if the thought of dismemberment bothers you, no other abortion method is any different in the end.

When your only solution offered involves the death of an innocent party, that is not realistic. If you can't see it, I don't know what else I could say that would convince you.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 03:11 am
CerealKiller wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

A fetus is a fetus....a child is a child. A fetus becomes a child...when it becomes a child...when it is born.

I understand the distinction you are making here Frank, but why do you suppose some people are charged with murder/manslaughter when they kill a fetus ?

Why are women charged with neglect if they are drug/alcohol users while pregenant if it is only a fetus? The laws don't seem terribly consistent.

What Phoenix said in response!

They are not consistent....and most of these laws making it a manslaughter or murder appear to be on the books only because people who oppose abortion have managed to get them passed as a stepping stone to outlawing legal abortions.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 05:46 am
Does it matter how a law came into being as long as it is the law?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:48 am
Intrepid wrote:

Of course it is. And your point is?????
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:53 am
Intrepid wrote:

It matters when the existance of a law is used as justification of a point of view.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 07:07 pm
mesquite wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

It matters when the existance of a law is used as justification of a point of view.

Have you never used the current legal status of abortion as justification for your view?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 07:31 pm
Juicy exchange.....
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 09:51 pm
Here is the video to which I referred

http://www.silentscream.org/video1.htm

It is of an 11 week old.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 09:53 pm
real life wrote:
mesquite wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Have you never used the current legal status of abortion as justification for your view?

Not to my knowledge. I go by the moral view rather than the law, in this case.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 09:55 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Of course it is. And your point is?????

Frankie, are you asking a question with a question? There is a trivia section for that game. ;-)
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:07 pm
Intrepid wrote:
real life wrote:
mesquite wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Hi Intrepid,

I am glad that you do. You have observed how often I have asked various parties how a woman can be supposed to have a "right" to abortion, whether it is legally recognized or not where she lives; yet an unborn child is said NOT to have a "right" to live simply because the law does not recognize it.

It is a glaring contradiction, and none of the pro-abortion folks have seriously addressed it. They simply want to refer back to the "legality" of abortion as justification for it. Yet when it was illegal, or where it is still illegal today, they will not grant that a woman has no "right" to an abortion.

Since you are in Canada (I think), I am curious, does the health care system there pay for all abortions? Do doctors and nurses , as employees of that system, have the right not to participate in abortions without negative consequences?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:19 pm
real life wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
real life wrote:
mesquite wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Hi Intrepid,

I am glad that you do. You have observed how often I have asked various parties how a woman can be supposed to have a "right" to abortion, whether it is legally recognized or not where she lives; yet an unborn child is said NOT to have a "right" to live simply because the law does not recognize it.

It is a glaring contradiction, and none of the pro-abortion folks have seriously addressed it. They simply want to refer back to the "legality" of abortion as justification for it. Yet when it was illegal, or where it is still illegal today, they will not grant that a woman has no "right" to an abortion.

Since you are in Canada (I think), I am curious, does the health care system there pay for all abortions? Do doctors and nurses , as employees of that system, have the right not to participate in abortions without negative consequences?

They pick and choose what they want to answer and how they want to answer it.

Yes, I am in Canada. I am only aware of the situation in Ontario. Abortions in Ontario are performed at hospitals and private clinics. Not all hospitals will provide abortions. OHIP (Government Insurance) covers the cost.

There are private clinics that are strictly confidential and require no parental consent. Services at abortion clinics are covered by OHIP. All the clinics will see women without health cards but depending on the number of weeks pregnant they are will determine the cost. Only one appointment is usually needed unless the pregnancy is past 14 weeks.

Since most abortions are in private clinics, the doctors and nurses are hired specifically for abortion involvement.
0 Replies