Foxfyre

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:18 pm
It is interesting to watch the ebb and flow of debate on a subject like this. Part of the unrelenting flow is the 'presumption' of pro-lifers, most particularly Christian pro-lifers, to have a certainty of their conviction that apparently no others claim. (Well almost no others--there are some pro-abortion rights people who claim certainty that the unborn child is not a child.) But this certainty is such that they (the pro-lifers) want restrictions on abortion. Such 'certainty' is futher deemed to be unusual or inappropriate as related to the subject of abortion. Restrictions on abortion are coercive and wrong, so say the pro-abortion-rights people.

I wonder how many other moral issues should warrant no interference from interested parties?

Putting seat belts on kids? Some parents consider this a violation of their children's rights. Should it be the law?

How about cruelty to animals? Some people consider animals their property to be treated any darn way they see fit no matter how much the animal might suffer. Does anybody here think there should be no laws prohibiting cruel treatment and neglect of critters, large and small?

How about disregard for endangered species of plants or animals on one's own property? Should there be no consideration of law in this case? Is it okay for the property owner to destroy the seeds or eggs or whatever to prevent reproduction? A whooping crane egg is not a whooping crane and would make some people a great souvenir. Is it okay if somebody takes it?

Domestic violence? If one spouse doesn't complain about the other beating him/her up, should anyone intervene? It's their bodies.

Does anyone here not have a certainty of conviction on each of these issues?

Pro-lifers are certain that the new life in the womb is a developing person. And yes, they have a certainty of conviction about that.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:21 pm
Awesome post.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:30 pm
Excellent post, foxfyre
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:35 pm
and the choir sang doo do doo do doo do do doo.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:35 pm
Foxfyre, I agree with your post for the most part.

Also I think you usually see the futility of responding with an inane statement that assumes you've won the initial argument.

As for all those issues you mentioned, no I don't think my answers are automatic in each case. I don't see things in such a black&white right&wrong way. Even if I did, these situations have nothing to do with the abortion issue at all.

Foxfyre, I'm interested in your response to my 2-part capital punishment question on the previous page.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:38 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Eorl,

Let me put it this way then, in this case, I will err on the side of the child/fetus.

I know Momma, but you asked where the difference was in our sides of the fence. I think I answered that ? Confused
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:40 pm
dyslexia wrote:
and the choir sang doo do doo do doo do do doo.

Could you please translate that for those of us who do not read music?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:40 pm
Eorl,

You just said that those situations have nothing to do with the abortion issue, right? What does capital punishment have to do with the abortion issue?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:53 pm
J_B wrote:
.........Let's take a hypothetical situation where an individual becomes pregnant. This individual, for whatever reason, is unable to nurture, model for, and raise a child within societal norms. Abortion is not a legal option for this woman and society demands she gives birth. The woman attempts to raise the child in a society that insists she give birth, but does not insist she be a good parent. Eventually the child becomes a .............

I don't know how many times this type of scenario has been brought up and responded to, but it is a lot.

Just because I do not believe she should be allowed to kill the child does not translate that she should be forced to raise a child if she is unwilling or unable to do so.

Why do pro-abortionists always pretend at this point in the argument that adoption does not exist?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:55 pm
Momma, well I didn't bring it up but...there are cross-issues.

For one, I can't see ANY christian condoning the death penalty without a severe case of hypocracy.

Also, if the foetus is a child, then women who acquire abortions are commiting pre-meditated murder of children. Clearly that would attract the death penalty. If not, why not? If you seriously see NO difference between foetus and six-year old....?

(Just so there's no confusion about where I stand, I would not have a death penalty ever, for any crime. I would not live in a country that allowed it to occur, assuming I could avoid it.)
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:56 pm
Eorl wrote:

Remember, from my POV it is you who wants to kill children by forcing them to take desperate risks with illegal abortions.

To say that the pro-life position forces someone to get an abortion is about the most ridiculous argument you could make. Yet you keep on trying to make it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:59 pm
Eorl,

I believe it is a child from the moment of conception. An innocent child. One sentenced to the death penalty has been found guilty. They are not innocent.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:02 pm
The Bald Eagle is a protected species, but human fetus' are disposed of at will. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:02 pm
real life wrote:
Eorl wrote:

Remember, from my POV it is you who wants to kill children by forcing them to take desperate risks with illegal abortions.

To say that the pro-life position forces someone to get an abortion is about the most ridiculous argument you could make. Yet you keep on trying to make it.

Your miss-quoting and ignoring the important questions is getting tiresome real life.

It is a fact that in a land where abortion is illegal, illegal abortions will occur. You can hide from that consequence all you like, real life, but you know it is true. You just pretend that it's not you problem. Just because you set the conditions for it to occur doesn't mean you caused it ! Clearly the couple who had sex caused it. No your problem. Relax.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:04 pm
It is a fact that in a land where theft is illegal, illegal theft will occur. It is a fact that in a land where murder is illegial, illegal murder will occur. It is a fact that in a land where drinking and driving is illegal, illegal drunk driving will occur. It is a fact that in a land where jaywalking is illegal, illegal jaywalking will occur. It is a fact that in a land where.....
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:05 pm
Eorl,

Well, at least you finally agreed whose fault it is.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:07 pm
Momma, you've been a bit selective with your answers, I think. Do you think abortion should attract the death penalty?

None of the others seem to have any answers at all !
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:10 pm
Do I think abortion should attrack the death penalty? Hmmm. Depends, for who? The woman? The doctor that performs it?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:12 pm
Well, I guess the woman contracts the murder and the murderer performs the hit? Both would get the death penalty, no?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:14 pm
Let me ask you directly Momma, which part of "Thou Shalt Not Kill" is proving hard to follow?
0 Replies