Arella Mae

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 01:14 pm
Someone just told me that in Latin, fetus means unborn child. I know fetus is derived from Latin but how can I find this out?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 01:17 pm
not latin, it's old english meaning "offspring"
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 01:44 pm
Well, I was having trouble finding it in a Latin dictionary or anything. That's why I asked here. I didn't want to say anything about it unless I could reference it.

Thanx dys!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 02:01 pm
Quote:
fe·tus (fē'təs)
n., pl. -tus·es.
The unborn young of a viviparous vertebrate having a basic structural resemblance to the adult animal.
In humans, the unborn young from the end of the eighth week after conception to the moment of birth, as distinguished from the earlier embryo.
[Middle English, from Latin fētus, offspring.]

From the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 04:09 pm
Thanx Phoenix. I was trying to find out from a Latin dictionary what they said and all I could find (and don't ask me how) it said a "stink." Of course, I hadn't had enough coffee yet!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 04:18 pm
Quote:
I realize that no one can ever have everything they want without denying someone else. I am willing to work towards what is the best thing. But, remember, a compromise means you are willing to accept and abide by those compromises, but it doesn't have to mean that you have completely changed your mind about your views.

Momma- What I wrote, a couple of posts back, were my PERSONAL views.
Actually, if you had asked me about my personal thoughts on abortion before this thread was created, I would have written just about the same thing.

I would never presume though, to tell another woman what to do with her body. I would never believe that creating laws abrogating a woman's freedom to choose was moral.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 04:27 pm
Phoenix,

I understand and I appreciate so much your total honesty all the time.

I can see where it might be hard for Pro-Choicers to agree with those that have my views on abortion. But, for me, it's not about taking away the woman's right to choice, Phoenix. It's all about allowing a child the chance to be born. Yes, like I have said before, the woman would lose her choice. I just feel that the woman can stand up for herself where the child can't. And I think this just might possibly be the way a lot of us on the anti-abortion side feel.

So, perhaps we are arguing apples and oranges here. I don't know.http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/heart.gif
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 07:07 pm
Foxfyre; yes I think that's a much more balanced assessment than your last attempt...and I think if I had a vote on the matter I would seriously consider restrictions on mid to late term abortions (but the devil is always in the details and I'd be weighing up my evils very carefully)

The one thing I still don't have from anyone is how you justify the consequences of outlawing abortion entirely. You know you can't be sure my "dead 14YO girl" will never happen. Would you consider her collateral damage...is it a price you would pay to save the unborn? Or do you simply not take responsibility for the consequences of making the law by placing blame at the feet of the pregnant girls / women?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 07:23 pm
Eorl,

It's very possible this may happen. I don't think anyone would deny that. But, don't you think if there were more responsibility put where it belongs that it would at the very least lessen the occurrences of this?

What about educating? What about teaching right from wrong? Changing the laws to make it more convenient is not the way to do it. This is just piling wrong upon wrong as far as I am concerned. You try to cure the disease, not just put a bandaid on it and hope for the best.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 07:26 pm
women should be allowed to have abortions

plain and simple
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 07:28 pm
djjd62 wrote:
women should be allowed to have abortions

plain and simple

Maybe that's the real problem. Some seem to think it is so plain and simple. I do not.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 07:43 pm
that, as they say is your problem, it should not however be the problem of a woman who want's an abortion
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 07:48 pm
And that is why people lobby to have laws changed.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 09:06 pm
Thankfully it didn't work in California. The proposition
where teenagers would have needed parental consent
to have an abortion, was defeated.

The so called christian politicians who lobby to have laws changed, did not count on the people who can think for
themselves without having God on their side.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 10:05 pm
http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/bigeyedsmiley.gifGirl, what happened to that beautiful photo of you?

Can I ask, does that proposition have an age limit attached to it? Is there a certain age that they have to get consent?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 11:14 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Thankfully it didn't work in California. The proposition
where teenagers would have needed parental consent
to have an abortion, was defeated.

The so called christian politicians who lobby to have laws changed, did not count on the people who can think for
themselves without having God on their side.

Your sneering comment about Christian people supposedly not thinking for themselves is quite ironic, given your background.

When you worked at Planned Parenthood and counseled women regarding abortion, why didn't you just tell them, "Go home and think for yourself ! "
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 11:26 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/bigeyedsmiley.gifGirl, what happened to that beautiful photo of you?

Can I ask, does that proposition have an age limit attached to it? Is there a certain age that they have to get consent?

Once in a while I like to change to a funny avatar Momma Angel Wink

Yes, Prop. 73 would have asked for parental consent for all girls
under the age of 18. Before and now there is no consent necessary.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 11:36 pm
I can't quite figure out how to pose this question so please bear with me.

Does that mean that anyone get an abortion without parental consent no matter how young? Like 14, 15, etc? What about those younger (I realize this is not a common occurrence.) I am just very curious.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 11:47 pm
real life wrote:
Your sneering comment about Christian people supposedly not thinking for themselves is quite ironic, given your background.

When you worked at Planned Parenthood and counseled women regarding abortion, why didn't you just tell them, "Go home and think for yourself ! "

real life,
my comment was directed at "so called Christians" who use their
religious affiliation to pressure others in accepting their doctrines. Being Christian, and being religious is and should be something private.

Planned Parenthood primarily serves women in medical needs and
prenatal choices for a very small amount, and more often free of charge.
These services include pap smears, annual exams, treatment of STD's,
HIV testing, contraceptives, and prenatal care. Out of all these services
Planned Parenthood also offers termination of pregnancy.

Counselors don't ever TELL these women what to do, they merely
counsel them of their options which range from prenatal care, adoption
and different forms of pregnancy termination, depending on how far along they're in their pregnancy. That's all, and ultimately the decision has to be made by every woman individually. No counselor, no physician
and no other person at Planned Parenthood will tell them what to do.

I also can tell you that of ca. 100 women visiting Planned Parenthood,
maybe 10 seek the option of terminating their pregnancy. The majority
uses their services for medical needs, as they cannot afford other
healthcare providers.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 11:49 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
I can't quite figure out how to pose this question so please bear with me.

Does that mean that anyone get an abortion without parental consent no matter how young? Like 14, 15, etc? What about those younger (I realize this is not a common occurrence.) I am just very curious.

Yes, it means teenagers do not need parental consent to terminate
a pregnancy, even if they're only 13 years old. One would hope, that
a pregnant teenager has the support and understanding of her
parents, however, it is not always the case.
0 Replies