Fast Food Workers: If You Hate Your Job, QUIT!

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 02:50 pm
I am sick and tired of angry, rude workers at fast food places. I am tired of them sighing loudly when I change my order or take too long to order. I am tired of the rude way they speak to you like you are inconveniencing them. I am tired of paying for a meal only to get floppy fries, cold burger and way to much ice in my soda. I am tired of some pimpled faced, snotty nosed kid giving me a hard time when I call on the phone to order a pizza and want to know what the specials are that evening. I AM TIRED of the disrespectful way I am treated when I eat fast food. I know it isn't a filet and I know I am not paying $25 for a plate but for Gods sake, it is my hard earned money. I could do without the glare and the "I really really hate being here" vibe every time I frequent one of these places. So you know what I am going to do about it? Nothing. Yup. Nothing, just like I do every time I get bad service. I am going to bend over and take it and pretend it didn't happen the next time I drive thru. I am going to do what I always do because I don't have time in my busy life to complain. **sigh**

There. I feel better.

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 03:04 pm
Stop going to fast food places Bella...try going somewhere where you can order a $25 filet.

What do you expect? You get what you pay for. $6/hour gets you a $6/hour worker.

Or maybe it's you. I don't run into a lot of rude people at fast food joints. Maybe they're not the most personable, but seldom rude.

Besides, we all know you don't mind bending over and taking it from teenagers.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 03:05 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Stop going to fast food places Bella...try going somewhere where you can order a $25 filet.

What do you expect? You get what you pay for. $6/hour gets you a $6/hour worker.

Or maybe it's you. I don't run into a lot of rude people at fast food joints. Maybe they're not the most personable, but seldom rude.

Besides, we all know you don't mind bending over and taking it from teenagers.

I know, which is why I just eat my shitty meal and go on.

But I run into more "I hate my life" people in fast food/pizza joints....I guess I just have high expectations. My husband runs a restaurant.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 03:13 pm
I think people who work at fast food joints REALLY have so many other opportunities out there that they can quit at the drop of a hat!

I have to say I have rarely encountered a snotty fast food worker. Perhaps I only meet the nice, polite and friendly ones.

Ma Bella, strap your AK47 to your back and saunder in saying "dem fries done yet or wha?" They will scramble to assist you. "git that ice outta there" will result in your chemical-tasting coke being provided to you sans glaciers. When calling places, the simple phrase "I am a serial killer, take my order down carefully" will have the effect that you get extra pepperoni.

Oh and if I ever have to work in a fast food joint, I'd be your worst nightmare.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 03:14 pm
Wait, you can still tell people are being rude even though they don't speak English???
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 03:28 pm
People at fast food restaurants are not rude. They are morons. That's why they work at fast food restaurants. I love the glazed look they get in their eyes when I give them an extra two cents so I can get an even amount of money in change.

Heeheee...dumb f*cks...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 03:39 pm
They may not be rude, but they durn sure mumble. Combine the mumble with the sub Radio Shack audio system, and my weak hearing, I haven't the slightest idea what they think I've ordered.

Hey, when I can understand them, I usually compliment them at the window. Seems to perk 'em up a bit.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 03:43 pm
hmm.. good point slappy.
I dont run into rude people either.
Since you expect them to be rude and pissy, do you think you are prompting that from them bella?
Possibly?
Maybe?
Just a little..?

I always get the silly happy ones. ?
Maybe you are just going to the wrong ones. Hehe
Taco bell man.. they are always happy.
them thar border hoppers
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 03:54 pm
I'm going to test your theory. Grabbing a Big Mac on the way home. Packing knuckle-dusters in bag.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 03:56 pm
>shudder<

I dont eat McShit, Booger Swap, or any other fast burger joint.
taco bell, subway,... that about as fast food as i get.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 03:58 pm
I like to live dangerously! Danger is my middle name. Plus I haven't had food poisoning in some time and I need to lose a couple of pounds by this weekend to fit into a new outfit.
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 05:26 pm
To all who say they're not rude, just ign'ant, I say this; every last one of them (save the one who's put his hand in the Fryalator for the third time) at least knows that any kind of negative self-expression (a huff, a sigh, a you-talkin'-to-da-hand-style "mm hmmmmm", or an eyeroll) is NOT going to change one damn thing about their general miserable condition.

Unfortunately, when Muffy pulls up in her $60K SUV, ruining her day may be the closest most of them will get to a feeling of genuine power. It's an opportunity that most attention-starved teens find hard to resist. But if you think about our own expressions--as we face another mediocre meal and anticipate surly service--it raises a "chicken or the egg" question; am I responding to them or are they responding to me? When I walk into a fine dining restaurant, I'm all smiles. Even in L.A. (where every server wants you to know how much they are NOT a server, but an aspiring this-or-that) you'll get a friendly response in return.

I hate to sound like some kinda softy, but I've found that it's fairly easy to preempt any surliness with an earnest "Hi, how ya' doin'" and a real smile (at least with teens--the foreigners can be a little more inscrutable). If it's not heartfelt, and sometimes I don't feel it, I won't even try. Unfortunately, this doesn't help with incompetence.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 05:42 pm
Bella Dea, you made me laugh! Not about the subject, but your delivery was great! I honestly can't remember having fast food for years now. Literally. I forget to think about it!

Heeven, I really gotta remember that AK47 and Serial Killer approach if I ever take on fast food again. Smile

Valpower, your take on things may have truly hit the nail on the head!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 06:59 am
Any one ever think maybe it is in the training or how the managers treat their employees?

I would hope even though it may not be a very rewarding career - even a fast food job could be a good situation if management handles employees in a positive manner.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 07:14 am
I was at Mcdonalds on Morning and I ordered a sausage biscuit and 2 hash browns.. but what I got was a Egg McMuffin (how do u get egg from sausage...???)... So it's 6:00 in the morning and I am on my way to work...(I went through the drive-thru).....so I get out of my car (and I am not a morning person...) and put on a little bit of a sour face...., walk into Mcdonalds and put the sandwhich down the the counter.... the woman justs stares at me blankly then walks away without saying a word.....

So I get angry then and I am like EXCUSE ME... and she finally acknowledges my existence... and I tell her what happens and she starts SCREAMING at the guy in the drive-thru window... now this guys is a grown man and he looks like he is gonna cry, I felt sooo bad.....

So she then tells the guy who makes the food what I want... just a sausage on a biscuit... but somehow he can't seem to grasp this... and he is like huh?? Egg, you want egg... so I say "Just put the damn sausage on the biscuit) and ran out of there.... Needless to say I was late for work...

So I say it may have something to do with the management also!! :-)
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 07:22 am
Well I am reporting back. I had my Big Mac and Vanilla Shake and the manager who served me was nice. She smiled. The trainee who brought over my food (yes, I get SPECIAL service) asked if I needed anything else, and guess what? He smiled too! I didn't even have to bring out any ammo!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 07:28 am
Wow...impressive. Yes, it is the managements fault. They #1- Allow the behavior #2- Do not praise when employees are doing well #3- Do not care either so set a bad example. These things will cause people to think "well, my manager doesn't notice when I do well and they don't care about customer service so why should I bother doing well? I will just get by." And they do.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 08:02 am
i cant say i would be a happy bubbling ball of warm poo either if i worked for 5 bucks an hour and did more physical labor then a landscaper..
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 08:15 am
shewolfnm wrote:
i cant say i would be a happy bubbling ball of warm poo either if i worked for 5 bucks an hour and did more physical labor then a landscaper..

BAH! Those workers do not do a lot of physical labor. Line cooks end up working like hell but McDonalds, BK, Taco Bell and most pizza joints have so many employees that each person only has to do a little work to make the place run smoothly. Trust me on this. Especially the McDonalds of the world...they are all on timers and you don't even have to think to make anything. How they screw it up I will never know.
shewolfnm

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 08:24 am
ahh.. that is true.
If you DO think during the job, it can be stressful.
If you dont think, and just go with the flow..it aint ****.

I worked in fast food twice.
Once, at booger queen.. lasted one day
then again at a bbq joint.. lasted one week

just cant do it.
0 Replies