Fast Food Workers: If You Hate Your Job, QUIT!

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 08:25 am
shewolfnm wrote:
ahh.. that is true.
If you DO think during the job, it can be stressful.
If you dont think, and just go with the flow..it aint ****.

I worked in fast food twice.
Once, at booger queen.. lasted one day
then again at a bbq joint.. lasted one week

just cant do it.

Me either. Laughing
shewolfnm

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 08:31 am
you ever wonder how many times they spit in food?

ok.. ewwwww
i dont want to think about this..
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 09:51 am
what about the "special sauce"
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:07 am
I've never worked in fast food. When I was in high school that was the one job I refused. So I worked in a grocery store. Medium pimpin', baby.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:14 am
I did the same thing, Slappy. I was the king of the shopping cart retrievers in the parking lot for a while there.

My policy towards the spitting and the putting of bodily fluids in my food is that if I don't know about it, I don't give a ****. Even if it literally is ****.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:35 am
I'll jump in here to defend some fast-food staff. I recently started work at Pizza Hut full-time, and in the UK at least they are ****-hot on customer service - "sir", "madam", smiles, friendly banter while taking the order, even offering to carry takeways to people's cars when they're not too busy. Why? Because (a) Pizza Hut make them do it, but more importantly (b) they want a good tip.

Me, I work in the kitchen, purely because the general public are usually ignorant fools and I would rather not talk to them if at all possible. The kitchen is usually under-staffed, and on busy shifts we churn out pizza after pizza after pizza, as fast as we can - 5 types of base, 4 different sizes, 20 different pre-set topping combos, not to mention the "half Hawiian, half-Meat Feast, with BBQ sauce instead of tomato on one half and can we cut it into 10 slices not 6 and spray the crust with garlic spray and serve it 10 minutes after the rest of the table's order". We have shifts so busy that I have had to wait 4 hours before having time to go for a piss.

So, if you see smiling staff, they probably want a tip, and if you see unhappy staff, they probably work in the kitchen (and get no tips).

(sort of lost the structure of my point there, but hey! there's no tip in it for me so I ain't changing it... :wink: )

And in all the time I've worked at Pizza Hut (including a year earlier my life) I have never seen anyone put anything into the food that shouldn't have been there. Not on purpose anyway...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:37 am
I love Pizza Hut pizza. Dammit, Grand Duke, now you've got me all hungry!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:38 am
GD, you work in the kitchen which is a WHOLE other world. You don't have to be nice in BOH. All you gotta do is make the food right and fast. The FOH people work with customers and need to be nice. And you are right. If they are expected to be a certain way they will be. Get away with a shitty attitude and a lot of people will have one.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:44 am
I'll tell ya, these kids today........
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:45 am
This is all very important to me - we are in the process are buying a franchise, however, it is better quality than BKs and McDonalds - a sandwich franchise.

I do think a key is good customer service. My husband is already scoping out workers at other establishments that seem to have good customer service skills - see if he can steal them.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:56 am
I'm w/ Kicky - It's the dumfounded stares.

I ordered the brocoli cheese soup at Quiznos a while back, asked for some bacon bits to go with it......

No sh*t - I had to ask FOUR people before they got the concept.

"Bacon Bits?"

Yeah, like you put on some of the subs.

"You want bacon?"

Uh huh

"You're getting soup"

Yes, for my soup

"You want Bacon?"

What a concept - bacon and cheese, together!

The best part is - I went back a week later with the same order, got the same person, got the same blank look.

When I asked, remember, I asked for this last week?

Uuuuuuuuuhhh......

Christ, it seemed to have been such a watershed moment for them the first time, I thought they would have logged it somewhere.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:59 am
Kicky - The single "worst" pizza we make is:

Large Meaty Edge, with BBQ sauce and extra pepperoni and ham.

This bad boy has no less than 120 slices of meat, all of which are (supposed to be) counted onto the pizza (for portion & stock control), and the BBQ sauce is usually kept in different part of the kitchen from the normal toppings.

Hungry...? :wink:

Bella - True. Some FOH staff even try to look down on the BOH team, because they make more than us due to tips, and we get sweaty and dirty while they swan about, schmoozing for tips. All it takes is one order of theirs to become "accidently" lost in the kitchen for their attitude to change... Cool
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 11:05 am
Linkat wrote:
This is all very important to me - we are in the process are buying a franchise, however, it is better quality than BKs and McDonalds - a sandwich franchise.

I do think a key is good customer service. My husband is already scoping out workers at other establishments that seem to have good customer service skills - see if he can steal them.

You don't have to tell me, of course, but I'm guessing, this franchise you are buying rhymes with "Lubway." Smile
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 11:19 am
No - it rhymes with Whiznos.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 11:23 am
Heeheehee...cool!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 12:07 pm
Linkat wrote:
No - it rhymes with Whiznos.

Well then, ya better read my post about 3 or 4 above yours!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 12:15 pm
I read it! If this was my store you certainly would not have gotten such a reaction. My husband has worked in the restaurant industry before and if such a mistake was made the first time - it certainly would not happen again. Fortunately, when he has managed in the past, the employees seem to respect and like him. And hopefully we steal all good ones from other places!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 12:27 pm
So, there will be no bacon issues?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 12:29 pm
If you don't like the service, don't tip....

(ha! but you see, there's no reward for good service save a promotion, and who the hell wants to night manage a booger fling?)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 01:19 pm
boycott all Quiznos'

Mr wolf and I went to one a few months ago at the mall.
He paid for his sandwich and I had the soup.
About 2 minutes later the manager was screaming at Mr Wolf saying he got change for a 20 when he gave them a 10.
( mind you.. we were pretty far away from thier counter)
He went up to the woman asking her to clarify.
Insisted that he got more change then he should have. Having alot of loose money in his pocket, he pulled out the wad of change that STILL had the reciept wrapped around it and showed her what he got back. A 5 and a 1 and some coins.
This bicth insisted he was lying.
He left the counter and came over to me and told me what happened. Showed me the exact same reciept he showed her wich CLEARLY showed he paid with a 10 and got correct change.
This woman CONTINUED to yell and say things like " I hope you are happy . You just got your wifes lunch free'. She said the drawer showed they were short change an it was HIS fault. Even though the reciept stated other wise:?

We called the 800 number and complained until our eyes popped out.

NEVER will I EVER eat there again.
0 Replies