Extreme Divorce: Wife Wants Back Pay For Housework

Tenoch

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 01:53 pm
Extreme Divorce: Wife Wants Back Pay For Housework

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED: 11:48 am PDT July 26, 2005

ALBANY, Ind. -- An Indiana woman is trying to get a paycheck for hours of work she did as a wife.

She's divorcing her husband and said she's sending him a bill for almost $500,000 for housework she says she did and kept track of over the years.

Kathy Thompson appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America" three years ago when she went on strike in an effort to get her husband to help out more around the house.

After five years of marriage to Gary Thompson, Kathy said she's trying to be reasonable. She's filing for divorce, but isn't asking for a normal alimony payment.

Kathy has drawn up an itemized bill with what she believes Gary owes her after their time together.

The itemized bill includes a charge for cleaning that amounts to $42,000. Cooking is billed for $35,200. The laundry tab is $17,600. Yardwork costs a comparatively paltry $1,200.

Good Morning America first talked to the Thompsons in 2002, when Kathy, fed up with Gary's fishing trips, went on strike to demand help around the house. She also sought some nights out.

"He goes fishing a lot and he doesn't appreciate me, so I went on strike," Kathy said in 2002.

That strike ended when Gary showed up with flowers, plans for a vacation and dinner reservations.

"I'm killing two birds with one stone. It's our anniversary, so I decided to take her away for a couple of days. We can end the strike and celebrate our anniversary at the same time," Gary said.

But this time the honeymoon is over for good. Kathy filed for divorce and seeks repayment for services rendered.

Appearing on ABC's "Good Morning America" Tuesday, Kathy said changes in the couple's marriage were short-lived.

"I ended up doing double the work. It just started becoming part of my job, mowing the lawn," Kathy said. "I started working part-time also."

Kathy did not charge her husband for "romance". She did share how she arrived at the charges on the itemized bill.

"I called around and got estimates from different people that charged for cleaning and ... I went from there," Kathy said.

Kathy found that Laundromats charge $7 a pound for doing laundry.

Kathy doesn't think she'll actually get the $500,000 for which she is asking.

"It's not about the money. It's about standing up for women' s rights and the respect they deserve and their duties around the house," Kathy said. "I know there's men that work hard too, but a woman doesn't get a day to take a break."

-why god why?
-discuss.............
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,111 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 03:13 pm
Dumb bitch. She "started" working part-time at one point, which meant she wasn't working at all. Of course she should have been doing housework, her husband was supporting her! Maybe he should bill her for being so f'n lazy.

And that last line, c'mon. It doesn't take 8 hours a day to do daily chores.

Well at least I can take comfort in knowing I don't have to worry about crap like that. No ring...no divorce.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 04:43 pm
...geez there potentialy could be some very well off women
out there Laughing how ridiculous.
Most of us work 8 hour days and still go home and do housework without a thought, I know I dont want to live in a pig sty! my partner works long hard hours and I dont expect him to come home and do laundry.....
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 04:46 pm
It'll be funny to see the follow up on this when the judge tells her she isn't getting a dime.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 05:25 pm
Roger--

She's milking the publicity opportunities. Half a million isn't her real goal.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 05:55 pm
She's a moron. And Noddy is totally right about the publicity thing.

Hey! I just had a thought! I wonder if she has met JLLLLLL yet.... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 07:35 am
Hey, she's not so dumb. She's a very enterprising woman. Even if she does not get a penny from her husband, look at the money from TV appearances. Maybe someone will sign her up for a book deal.

Personally, I think that her entire concept stinks. Problem is, audiences eat up stuff like that!
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 07:56 am
she is playing the i gave up everything to stay home and keep house for my hubby sympathy card. do they have kids? if not, how hard is it really to cook, clean, and do laundry. i mean mr. d and i do and we both work full time jobs, yet we still manage to get it all done in the time we have home together.

if they have kids, then i think motherhood is the hardest job out there (i say motherhood, but really full time caregiver for the kids) and i don't know that there is a price for that. however, since she didn't bill for daycare time...i am guessing no kids. ridiculous...

my mom did it, she stayed home, raised us kids, cooked, cleaned, did all of our laundry (and trust me neither my dad or us kids helped significantly). it was what was best for our family. i don't think my dad sat around saying, "i pay the bills woman get me a beer" swatting her butt...and i think he completely respected what she did because twice a year he took her on vacation (left us kids with the grandparents) so it could be a true vacation for her knowing that she never got a day off from her job. but again, no kids with this woman...seriously how hard is it to cook clean and do laundry-i think i could do it in the first hour of the day, then have quite a long time to sit around before having to make dinner...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 07:58 am
I don't know, I know some women who shoulder almost the entire burden of, not only cleaning and keeping house, but running it. By this I mean paying the bills, taking care of repairs, etc.... And whose husbands contribute nothing more than a paycheck and still expect for most or all of that paycheck to be theirs because they earned it. There are no career advancements for the job of housewife and perhaps that's why so few women choose it. Yet all I hear from some men is laments about how come women don't want to stay home anymore and raise kids and keep the house. Because nobody with a choice would choose to be a house slave with little or no future, that's why.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:09 am
freeduck, i understand what you are saying, but i run the house...i pay all the bills, take care of repairs, schedule any and all maitenance, keep track of all the finances, and cook dinner almost every night when i get home at 6pm from work. mr. d does do all the cleaning and we split laundry, yard work, and taking care of the cars. so seriously how hard can it be if the rest of the world can do it and work a full time job? plus single mom's do it all the time with no help and a kid to support and you don't hear them being whiny women-the world owes me something...whatever.

i guess if she was "forced into slavery" by this guy and he was abusive when she didn't do her chores, i would feel differently. but it doesn't sound like it, she just sounds like someone who married into what she thought would be a life of luxury staying home all day doing nothing, and what she found out was that she actually had to contribute to the marriage.

it ain't worth half a mil that's for sure.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:19 am
I understand that and that's very close to my situation too. But how would you feel if mr. d did a lot less than you or none at all? It's not that the work is hard, it's the assumed total responsibility the stay-at-home parent has because, after all, they have nothing better to do. So if the husband wants to go somewhere or do something, he just does. His work day ends when it ends and he has no further responsibilities. When the roles are cleanly defined because one spouse stays at home, the stay-at-home one doesn't get days off and usually can't just up and go do whatever they want to do whenever they want to do it.

It's not about how hard the work is, it's about the roles and responsibilities and the respect that goes or doesn't go with them.
0 Replies

TressieScott

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 11:58 pm
To the subject on hand
I will just say that it's ridiculous. What is the world coming to? I will say that I work most of the time 16 hour days seven days a week. It really just varies. I am self employed "will be a registered business soon." as a freelance model, actress. I not only pick up after myself, part of the cleaning as my future fianc'e also does the same. He picks up his stuff and I'll pick up my stuff. He'll do his laundry and I'll do mine. However, keep in mind we have a larger house than most and it is very hard to keep up with if you are doing it by yourself then yes it would be an eight hour day if we dusted, and everything every day. But my lord he was a bachelor for six years, pack rat for six years in this house, and lets see never had a woman live with him. So you can imagine what his cabinets are like you open them up and hmm what do you find you name it reciepts from 1999, extra canned food in the coat closet, enough liquor to start a liquor store, curtains that had never been washed hanging in the windows. I have to laugh.. Becaue my organization and his are two totally different. His is outside appearance and mine is not only the outside appearance but, also to being able to find what I need when I need it... But in the myths of my career, his career, cleaning house, and deep cleaning and organizing 6400 square foot home, I also have been painting and doing some things around the house to update the house and make it feel more homie. On top of all this we also have rental properties (6) duplexes = 12 individual homes to maintain, and repair and etc. So if I'm not gritchin' and I didn't lay more on the table than I can afford to loose then why should anyone gritch. And why is this lady gritchin' anyway... She's the one that laid her cards on the table for five years and if she didn't want to do it from day one then why did she lay more on the table than she could afford to loose? I don't get it.

PS. I'm not sure who will or won't get the part of not laying more on the table than you can afford to loose. But for those who don't get it. Well, it's something my father taught me, even in a relationship.. I did lay more on the table than I could afford to loose and that was my career. That was when I was trying to manage the rental properties on my own guess what my career was on hold because it is a responsability that requires a lot of work. Especially when they move, or you have one available and are showing it, or if the actual owner pisst them off because he didn't have the time to manage them on his own.

I thought a relationship was team work? Did the light bulb not click on in this lady's head or what? Hello, no job (later = part time job) hmm maybe after she decided to get the divorce but she just hadn't filed yet. Hmm..

I need to watch tv for a soap opera anymore.. All I have to do is walk right outside my front door and it's there..

Some people need to grow up and learn responsabilites and if I was him I would counter sue her for distributing to the income of the home..

Okay, enough of this soap..
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 08:23 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I understand that and that's very close to my situation too. But how would you feel if mr. d did a lot less than you or none at all? It's not that the work is hard, it's the assumed total responsibility the stay-at-home parent has because, after all, they have nothing better to do. So if the husband wants to go somewhere or do something, he just does. His work day ends when it ends and he has no further responsibilities. When the roles are cleanly defined because one spouse stays at home, the stay-at-home one doesn't get days off and usually can't just up and go do whatever they want to do whenever they want to do it.

It's not about how hard the work is, it's about the roles and responsibilities and the respect that goes or doesn't go with them.

that's assuming though they have kids. i agree if she was a stay at home mom, hat's off to her, she deserves more than half a mil. got get him. but if not, i just have trouble understanding why she deserves that. if mr.d made enough for me to stay home everyday, i would cook, clean , do laundry, meet him at the door with a beer in hand everyday.

now if she worked full time and he worked full time, and she did everything too, then i would tee'd off as well. but i was under the impression she stayed home all day with no kids. am i wrong?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 08:31 am
I would countersue for pussy alimony. If I was used to getting laid say twice or three times a week, (although I'm sure this whiny bitch never came across) I would ask that she come in once or twice a week and service me until such time as I found another relationship. It's no more stupid than her demands.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 08:35 am
I don't know if she had kids or not and I'm saying she deserves what she's asking for. But I do think she has a valid gripe if he's not pulling his weight. Just like he'd have a valid gripe if she wasn't pulling hers.

None of us knows what their agreement was going in to the marriage, and I'm not willing to trash her (not knowing her) as lazy and everything else because I can sympathize with her complaint even if her situation isn't the same as mine.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 08:43 am
Here's a different article about the same story.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/AmericanFamily/story?id=977565

Quote:
But Kathy Thompson says the honeymoon didn't last very long. In addition to her previous housework, Thompson said she also had to start mowing the lawn and doing other household chores such as painting the house. She was also working two jobs and going to school.

Sounds to me like she was pulling more than her fair share of the weight.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:03 am
I'd be careful if i were you, Bear.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:04 am
As a publicity stunt, it's a blip in it's ridiculousness. Imagine a cleaner/cooker earning $500,000 for 5.5 years! Almost 100 grand a year? Cleaners and cooks everywhere would be clamoring for that job! Also she might want to remember that during this 5+yr period, the cleaning and cooking she was doing was for herself also! She should be deducting 50-70% off for her own cooking and cleaning because she would have had to do it for herself anyways - adding his cleaning/cooking to the mix would only have been an additional 30-50%. Plus he should deduct the monies he gave to her for her personal use (read: salary, wages, bonuses). Perfume, clothing, toiletries, magazines, manicures, deduct grocery bills for food that she ate and he didn't for the period that he was working and supporting the household and she wasn't working. If she was not paying anything towards the mortgage, insurance, car payments, then he should charge her a pro-rata portion for her share. Hmm, if he wanted to, he could be just as tacky and charge her back for all this (and more I might not have thought of). She might be dismayed to find that she owes him. When she did go out to work part-time, any monies she used towards the household can be credited during that period.

If she wants to be a stickler with calculating something like this, then he could well do the same.

There is no mention of children anywhere so I assume that this is not the reason she chose to stay home and not get a job outside of the home?

I am sure this will be laughed out of court.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:11 am
squinney wrote:
I'd be careful if i were you, Bear.

why whatever are you talking about dear?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:12 am
Bear, it's possible she could start billing him for that too. In fact, that might be the better way to go since I'm sure prostitutes make more than house cleaners.
0 Replies