British Prime Minister Shows Absurdity Of Lefty Arguments

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 09:23 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
No, not very often. More often, my liberal board opponents either point out how often I have said the same things (as though they don't) and then move on without further comment, or engage in some random ad hominem and then move on without further comment. You yourself once limited your response to a post of mine on this topic by simply saying, "The sky is falling" or some such. Hardly an example of addressing what I say.

When you indulge your "saw my head off while i'm screaming" paranoid fantasies, yes, i'm very likely to indulge in ridicule. My point remains that your nonsense has been repeatedly answered, and answered cogently, by a great many people, and you still trot out the same worn-out shibboleths as though you had some fresh argument.

Quote:
On the contrary. All of the items on your list below, I have addressed here many times, and, no, I won't find links for you. I will address them again now, though, since your arguments are so incredibly false.

In that your subsequent responses here do not address the bankrupt litany of partisan support for the Shrub's dirty little war which you invariably trot out, yours are the arguments which are incredibly false.

Quote:
Incorrect. You can't contain someone with WMD, since he only needs to get one person with one WMD into your country to strike a crippling blow against you. Containment is a largely obsolete concept. As for bringing hellfire down on his head, he wouldn't necessarily. If someone like Hussein were to have a WMD smuggled into an American city and used, he could simply deny responsibility, express sympathy, and offer us aid. We still don't know who sent the anthrax through the mail. Imagine trying to pull evidence from the site of a nuclear fireball. He might someday be exposed or he might easily not.

The delivery system to which you refer, a single terrorist with a single weapon, would require an operational sophistication which would have its origin written all over it. Your anthrax analogy doesn't hold up, because the source was quickly identified by chemical markers on the available samples as having been from the United States. Such markers are available for all biological, chemical and nuclear materials. In the conditions under which Iraqi security organs were obliged to operate prior to the invasion, tracking down Iraq as the source would have been child's play, and the Iraqis knew it. Several of the September 11th operatives moved to the west via Iran, which fact was quickly established. You are indulging your favorite paranoid fantasy that terrorists can strike at any time, anywhere, and we won't see it coming (not unlikely given the piss-poor track record of this administration) and that we'll never know the source; which latter proposition is an absurdity, even for the stumblebums at Central Intelligence and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Your statement that containment is now impossible is a statement from authority which you do not substantiate. A nuclear fireball is only possible with a significant amount of fissionable material (don't even mention fusion, you're not getting a device like that through assembled, and you're not going to assemble it here without expertise that can't be taught at a terrorist camp in the Hindu Kush) and a very large explosive triggering device. The only scenario involving nuclear material in a "suitcase" bomb is a dirty bomb, a conventional explosive wrapped in radioactive material. You may let your paranoia run away with your imagination, but that doesn't oblige reasonable people to swallow your contentions whole. The September 11th gangs used airliners as bombs precisely because the 1993 attempt proved they couldn't assemble the necessary materials for an effective detonation on site, nor smuggle them in. After the 1993 attempt, we rounded up the perps lickity-split, and we knew right where bin Laden and company were holed up--Afghanistan. Your entire thesis is predicated upon an assumption of nearly total incompetence on the part of United States intelligence and law enforcement agencies--which if true, means were not safe from anyone. I can see how your paranoia leads you to such assumptions, but once again, don't expect the rest of us to subscribe to your fantasies of horror.

Quote:
Yeah, we know because we invaded. Had we not invaded, and had he still had them, many people could have died later.

All lot of people do die every day in Iraq. A lot of people in the United States could still die due to terrorist action based in Iraq now that we've invaded, because those borders are far more porous now than they ever were before the Shrub and his Forty Theives of Baghdad totally screwed the security situation in the middle east. Once again, your paranoid thesis is predicated upon an assumption that we are hapless and helpless targets, with no security resources of our own to protect us, or track down the perpetrators of an attack against us. Besides being a ludicrous assumption from which to proceed, it sure as hell doesn't speak highly of your boy in the White House.

Quote:
What lies? The things you call lies in my experience don't rise to that standard.

So you've missed the entire Wilson/Plame embroglio, eh? You still believe the yellow cake story? When Cheney stated that Iraq was "the geographical base of the terrorists who have had us under assault for many years, but especially on 9/11" (thereby giving the Shrub plausible deniability for the statment, while reaping the benefits of freaking out the paranoids), you still buy that? You've read nothing about the Ministry of Defense memoranda from England which have been released? What a stunning case of burying one's head in the sand.

Quote:
Anyway, even if Bush is the antichrist, there was enough information just in the superficial history of the events to give a reasonable probability that Hussein still had the WMD and/or programs. He had been caught lying about it before.

So what? We know that Iran has a nuclear capability. We know that North Korea has a nuclear capabitlity. We know that Pakistan and India have the capability, the weapons and the delivery systems. In the specific case of Pakistan, we set up al Qaeda there with the knowldege and consent of Pakistani security services. We know today that al Qaeda members are harbored in and operate from Pakistan. I guess you want us to invade them, too, huh? I haven't characterized the Shrub as the antichrist, and find that laughably absurd, as i have no reason to assume that any "Christ" exists or ever did, and don't give a rat's ass for religion. That is just an example of the extent to which you always attempt to ramp of the hysteria in such discussions.

Quote:
Yes, I have addressed this one a few times on A2K. My answer is: So they wanted to do the right thing and invade Iraq earlier, but allowed smaller measures to run their course first. Big deal.

You are either unaware of the PNAC agenda in all of its ramifications or are willfully being obtuse. Their stated purpose has been all along to invade Iraq and establish military bases to be maintained for the purpose of asserting American hegemony over the region. Tell me the Congress would have given the President war powers on the basis of a full disclosure of such a plan, and then try to sell me a bridge in New York. Allowed smaller measure to run their course ? ! ? ! ? That's very nearly a lie, and i only refrain from accusing you of one because of your demonstrable dissociation from reality. They did feck-all about Iraq until they worked out the necessary details to create in the mind of a gullible public an association with September 11th, and cobbled together a fabric of lies about weapons of mass destruction, and admitted as much to their contacts in Blair's government. Yeah, when nearly two thousand Americans and Englishmen, and tens of thousands of Iraqis die because of the lies of the crowd in power in DC, that's a big deal.

Quote:
Yes, but most of them don't have WMD development programs. If any do, we ought to treat them the same way. I have answered this one probably dozens of times on A2K.

Since you always trot out the post hoc evil dictator drivel, you get no free ride on this. Absent any links, i frankly don't believe you. I've never read a post of yours in which you address the mealy-mouthed moralizing on the subject of evil dictators of which the right is now so fond, having stepped on their collective dicks on weapons of mass destruction and harboring al Qaeda terrorists. The Sudan both harbored al Qaeda and bin Laden, and they've been slaughtering their own citizens for more than twenty years on a scale that makes Hussein look like a piker. Where's the moral indignation? When is the invasion planned to commence? Oh yeah, that's right, they're not on the PNAC agenda, and they're not sitting atop the world's second largest proven petroleum reserves.

Quote:
I would say that this is the one I have probably answered here the most often. We waited too long and now NK has the bomb. It's too late to invade. During the first hour of the invasion, NK could kill a million people. It was to prevent Hussein from achieving this level of near invulnerability that we invaded Iraq.

Once again, i've never seen this response before from you. As for "waiting too long," i frankly think you are lying on this one. North Korea has had a nuclear capacity and the missile delivery systems since the late 1970's. They've never even been a blip on the right wing radar screens. Your final statement to the effect that we invaded Iraq to prevent them reaching a level of near invulnerability is both a gross mischaracterization of the situation with North Korea, and a thoroughly dishonest attempt to re-write the justifications for the invasion. This doesn't even remotely resemble the causus belli trotted out by the phoney cowboy in the White House. I will never believe you if you assert to me that you've worried about that one for the last thirty years.

Quote:
Fear of the effect of WMD in the hands of someone like Hussein, is hardly paranoia. Just one such weapon could kill hundreds of thousands of people. If they started a plague, maybe more.

As murderous dictators run, Hussein was far more reasonable than Kim Jong Il is. He was a minority tribal leader, sitting on his own powder keg. Until it finally dawned on him that the idiots in DC were really going to invade, his biggest worries were always at home. You have, as always, inflated him into a bogey man which he never was. He was making a mint from American profiteers in the oil-for-food program, it was in his best interest not to rock the boat. You're either incredibly ill-informed and naïve about the international situation prior to 2003, or you're willfully playing fast and loose with the truth about the international situation. The embargo was a political godsend for Hussein--he could starve the Shi'ites, reward his Ba'atist cronies and rant for the cameras to the Sunni faithful about the western crusaders. It was never in his interest to rock the boat; it was never in his interest to attack us, or even to have the least suspicion fall on Iraq in a terrorist attack. He stood to lose too much, even if he didn't think it would lead to invasion. The nicest way for me to view this is that you are stunningly unsophisticated in knowledge and judgment regarding the situation in Iraq over the last fifteen years.

Quote:
Why abandon politicians who hold mostly the same opinions I do?

It is refreshingly honest of you, at least, to admit that you agree with a program which seeks to beggar the American people in favor of a corporate elite. Disgusting, but honest.

Quote:
NK, I've answered above.

And demonstrated that you know next to nothing about North Korea and its regime and military programs over the last thirty years.

Quote:
Iran is sort of a different type of animal at the moment, but ultimately, we would have to act to prevent them from arming themselves with WMD.

News flash, Bubba, they've already got 'em. They used chemical weapons and missiles against the Iraqis twenty years ago. The current tension arises from their determination to free themselves from dependence on Pakistani scientists and sources of weapons grade material. You really do know next to nothing about the situation in southwest Asia.

Quote:
Certainly not. My discussions have been about dictators who do not follow risk averse policies, particularly if they have connections to terrorism.

Hussein could have been the poster boy for dictators pursuing "risk averse policies." He was happy as a clam at low tide with the embargo and the political gifts it gave him, as well as the opportunity for grafting on a vast scale. You need to get away from the neo-con talking points for a while and actually study the history of the region for the last century. You especially need to stop trying to hawk that tired old shibboleth about "connections to terrorism." No such connections have ever been proven. You must be a graduate of the Lash School of Hysterical Contentions About Terrorist Networks.

Quote:
My personal good or bad points have nothing to do with the validity of my posts.

Remarking that in debates on this issue you fail to apply the same standard across the board, for however unpleasant that may be to you, does not constitute a comment on your "personal good or bad points." It is a concerted assault on the paucity of your arguments, it is not a personal attack. Are you now going to join the ranks of Fox and Ican in asserting that any vehement refutation of your nonsense arguments constitutes a personal attack?

Quote:
You know, I thought you were supposed to be smart, but what you've given me tonight seem the arguments of a child.

As the most charitable construction to put on the remarks you have made about the middle east in general, Iraq in particular, Iran in particular and North Korea in particular is that you are incredibly ill-informed, there is an exquisite irony is seeing such an accusation from you.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:18 am
Intrepid wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, we know because we invaded. Had we not invaded, and had he still had them, many people could have died later.

If, if, if, if. The fact is, he DID NOT have them. People have only died because George (me and my daddy want to rule the world) Bush did invade.

Now listen really carefully. This is a trivially simple logical point that you folks seem incapable of grasping.:

At the time of the invasion, there was some probability that Hussein still had WMD and some probability that he did not. Now that we have invaded and looked, we know that he did not, but he might have based on our incomplete knowledge at that moment.

You can't tell a policeman that he shouldn't have frisked a suspect because in the end, it turned out that the suspect had no weapons. The point is that he might have, and had that been the case, awful, awful things could have happened. And, please don't further demonstrate your near magical level of stup*ity by listing ways in which the invasion of Iraq and a cop frisking a suspect are not parallel, since I am only using this metaphor to show one single thing - that just because the results of an investigation are negative, it doesn't mean that the investigation shouldn't have been undertaken.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:23 am
old europe wrote:
The WMD issue.... Well then, in my opinion, there's only one valid thesis that could possibly counter the world according to Brandon:

Quote:
Worse things could happen than a mushroom cloud over an American city.

Isn't this what it all boils down to? You can either believe that this could be the worst thing that could ever, ever happen, and that everything else which is not as bad as that is therefore justified.

Seems to me that hundreds of thousands of people obliterated in a few minutes would be very, very undesirable.

old europe wrote:
Or you can believe that even if that would happen, America would survive it just as it has survived 9/11, and that measures which turn the US from democracy into dictatorship are a far greater threat than anything else.

Am I mistaken?

Note: Please no utterly dumb replies like "So you want to see a nuke exploding in the US?"

Now this one really fascinates me. How is that dumb?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:35 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Quote:

If, if, if, if. The fact is, he DID NOT have them. People have only died because George (me and my daddy want to rule the world) Bush did invade.

Now listen really carefully. This is a trivially simple logical point that you folks seem incapable of grasping.:

At the time of the invasion, there was some probability that Hussein still had WMD and some probability that he did not. Now that we have invaded and looked, we know that he did not, but he might have based on our incomplete knowledge at that moment.

You can't tell a policeman that he shouldn't have frisked a suspect because in the end, it turned out that the suspect had no weapons. The point is that he might have, and had that been the case, awful, awful things could have happened. And, please don't further demonstrate your near magical level of stup*ity by listing ways in which the invasion of Iraq and a cop frisking a suspect are not parallel, since I am only using this metaphor to show one single thing - that just because the results of an investigation are negative, it doesn't mean that the investigation shouldn't have been undertaken.

And I presume you are/were aware of the reports by the UN weapon's inspectors. The probability that that Iraq had WMDs was very, very small. But Bush rushed in.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:35 am
Quote:
"We are not going to deal with this problem, with the roots as deep as they are, until we confront these people at every single level. And not just their methods but their ideas," Blair said.

I agree completely with this statement. We have to also confront their ideas also.

In the war of ideas, Bush once said, in answer to the question of why they attacked us on 9-11, "they hate us for our freedom." Simplistic, idiotic, and wrong.

If we didn't have such war-loving apes running our country, maybe we could actually do what Blair said, and confront their ideas. Or at least have some that one would have to graduate third grade to understand.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:41 am
Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
I would say that this is the one I have probably answered here the most often. We waited too long and now NK has the bomb. It's too late to invade. During the first hour of the invasion, NK could kill a million people. It was to prevent Hussein from achieving this level of near invulnerability that we invaded Iraq.

Once again, i've never seen this response before from you. As for "waiting too long," i frankly think you are lying on this one....

Here's a little sample:

Brandon9000 wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
If your thesis is correct, why aren't we attacking North Korea, China, and Iran?

NK is already nuclear and would have the option of killing a million people in the first hour of the war. We missed the bus with NK. Now all we can do is sit by and impotently whine at them to play nice. We invaded Iraq to prevent Hussein from achieving this near invulnerability...

Source

Brandon9000 wrote:
Dookiestix wrote:
And there's a hypothetical that as we speak, North Korea could be sending nukes to California.

So why don't we act now?

Or is there a difference?

Well we should act now, the terrible leaders of North Korea may or may not be doing something very bad with their WMD, but we cannot invade, because now that they have them, we no longer possess that option. If we attempt to invade, they might kill a million people in the first hour of the war. We missed our chance with NK, and now all we can do is whine for them to play nice, and negotiate with them no matter how unreasonable their behavior. We invaded Iraq to prevent Hussein from achieving this level of near invulnerability.

Source

Brandon9000 wrote:
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
You miss the point entirely. Since Hussein had been so misleading about his WMD and WMD programs for so long, and since he had not provided any real proof that he had disarmed despite the fact that he badly wanted sanctions removed, there was some real chance that he still had them. Had that been so, millions of lives could have been lost down the line. For this reason, the decision to invade was exactly correct.

So North Korea resumed its WMD program. It claims to have WMD. Millions of lives could be lost down the line. For this reason, what would you do?

This is so elementary, it's almost sickening that I have to plod through it, but here is your answer. I would negotiate and impotently beg them to be nice. Maybe use an economic carrot and stick. It's too late with North Korea. They have the bomb. If we invaded they could either destroy the south or use nuclear weapons on our troops. We missed the bus on this one. We invaded Iraq to prevent Hussein from achieving this level of near invulnerability.

Source
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:44 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Quote:

Your analogy would be closer to "You can't tell a policeman that he shouldn't have" shot " suspect because in the end, it turned out that the suspect had no weapons."

My "near magical level of stup*ity" is based on your opinion. It has not yet been proven.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:50 am
Intrepid wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Quote:

Your analogy would be closer to "You can't tell a policeman that he shouldn't have" <b>shot</b> " suspect because in the end, it turned out that the suspect had no weapons."

My "near magical level of stup*ity" is based on your opinion. It has not yet been proven.

Off topic. The fact that the investigation showed a negative does not indicate that it shouldn't have been undertaken, since it might well have turned out the other way. There may be other reasons why a past investigation should not have been undertaken, but the fact that it came back negative is not among them. That's why they call it probability.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:59 am
Intrepid is right about your analogy Brandon. It should be, "You can't tell a policeman that he shouldn't have shot suspect..."

This is what your reasoning amounts to.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 11:04 am
kickycan wrote:
Intrepid is right about your analogy Brandon. It should be, "You can't tell a policeman that he shouldn't have shot suspect..."

God, give me patience. I was not comparing the war in Iraq with a policeman frisking a suspect except in one and only one way.

I was showing only that the fact that an investigation into a probability comes back negative does not in and of itself mean that the investigation should not have been undertaken. There may be other reasons why it shouldn't have been undertaken, but that isn't one of them.

I just hate attempting to make any kind of analogy between two things with you people, because you invariably point out some lack of similarity that is unrelated to the point I was making.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 11:21 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
kickycan wrote:

God, give me patience. I was not comparing the war in Iraq with a policeman frisking a suspect except in one and only one way.

I was showing only that the fact that an investigation into a probability comes back negative does not in and of itself mean that the investigation should not have been undertaken. There may be other reasons why it shouldn't have been undertaken, but that isn't one of them.

I just hate attempting to make any kind of analogy between two things with you people, because you invariably point out some lack of similarity that is unrelated to the point I was making.

That is hilarious. "Investigation". But you aren't talking about an investigation. You are talking about an invasion, then you make your snide little comments about how dumb everyone else is for showing the stupidity of your logic.

You feel that we could not have found out that they didn't have weapons of mass destruction without killing tens of thousands of people. That is moronic, and it has been shown to be.

Enjoy your day, war-monger.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 11:26 am
Coming back to the main theme here, I think, it is quite remarkable what Cherie Booth QC said:

"What the case makes clear is that the government, even in times when there is a threat to national security, must act strictly in accordance with the law."

(The QC, addressing an audience of 1,000 lawyers, civil servants and diplomats in Malaysia, said judges made rulings in a way that taught citizens and government about the "ethical responsibilities" of participating in a true democracy committed to "universal human rights standards".
She said courts should be "guardians of the weakest, poorest and most marginalised members of society against the hurly-burly of majoritarian politics". )
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 11:27 am
Brandon,

I think you are confusing possibility with probability.

I'm pretty sure you know the difference; I can't decide if your prose is clumsy, or if it is an attempt at chicanery.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 03:03 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

This is the 'other thread' I was referring to. Perhaps the problem is in the presentation of the point - not in the reading of it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 03:04 pm
DrewDad wrote:
I can't decide if your prose is clumsy, or if it is an attempt at chicanery.

This sounds awfully familiar.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 03:13 pm
kickycan wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
kickycan wrote:

That is hilarious. "Investigation". But you aren't talking about an investigation. You are talking about an invasion, then you make your snide little comments about how dumb everyone else is for showing the stupidity of your logic.

You feel that we could not have found out that they didn't have weapons of mass destruction without killing tens of thousands of people. That is moronic, and it has been shown to be.

Enjoy your day, war-monger.

No, that wasn't my point either. It's not like I'm not speaking English. Once again, I am disputing Inrepid's logic by saying that if an investigation is undertaken to evaluate a potentially serious danger, and if it ultimately turns out that the danger is not there, that is no indication that the investigation shouldn't have been made. This is elementary.

If the probability that the danger existed was significant, and if the danger that might have existed was a very serious danger (had it existed), then the investigation must take place. Subsequently discovering that the danger wasn't present doesn't change that any more than a cop is wrong for frisking a suspect if it turns out that the suspect isn't armed. I'm not talking about five other things, only that.

The point you have chosen to misfocus on, the appropriateness of the term "investigation" is trivial. I can usually trust you guys to ignore the central ideas of a post and discuss unimportant side issues.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 03:20 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Brandon,

I'm pretty sure you know the difference; I can't decide if your prose is clumsy, or if it is an attempt at chicanery.

Here is an issue that I dare you to face head on. Please do not respond to some minor side issue. This is a thought experiment, a hypothetical. Hypothetically, you have it straight from God that there is a probability of .5 that country X, ruled by an evil dictator, is developing nuclear weapons and is within 3 years of success. You further have it from God that if country X is allowed to obtain these weapons, then probability will be .4 that Philadelphia will be nuked within the subsequent 2 years. What do you do? Please do not belabor minor imperfections in the way I've set this up. At its core is a meaningful question.

I suspect that most of you will try to argue that the question is somehow not valid. I don't think you dare to just answer the question.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 03:24 pm
Oh, Brandon, Brandon, Brandon...it's so INCREDIBLY ironic that you tell my I'M missing the point. What I'm saying has been said to you about a hundred times by me and others here, and in every case, you have either willfully ignored it, or just haven't got the brain power to get it.

You ignore the point in others' posts, and then snidely act as if they have missed yours.

As I've said before, arguing with you is like arguing with a wind-up toy.

I give up. Keep posting idiocy if you want.

Peace (Oooh, the dreaded "P" word! Look out, Brandon, it's gonna getcha!)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 03:50 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Brandon,

Here is an issue that I dare you to face head on. Please do not respond to some minor side issue. This is a thought experiment, a hypothetical. Hypothetically, you have it straight from God that there is a probability of .5 that country X, ruled by an evil dictator, is developing nuclear weapons and is within 3 years of success. You further have it from God that if country X is allowed to obtain these weapons, then probability will be .4 that Philadelphia will be nuked within the subsequent 2 years. What do you do? Please do not belabor minor imperfections in the way I've set this up. At its core is a meaningful question.

I suspect that most of you will try to argue that the question is somehow not valid. I don't think you dare to just answer the question.

"Thought experiments" are ridiculous. To answer your question, if I were receiving messages directly from god then I would check myself into a mental institution.

Sadly, Bush does believe that he receives messages from god. God help us.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 05:46 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
old europe wrote:
Note: Please no utterly dumb replies like "So you want to see a nuke exploding in the US?"

Now this one really fascinates me. How is that dumb?

Okay, to answer this first: it's not what I meant. Nobody wants it, everybody wants to prevent it. Let's at least work from that assumption. Now....

Brandon9000 wrote:
old europe wrote:
Quote:
Worse things could happen than a mushroom cloud over an American city.

Isn't this what it all boils down to? You can either believe that this could be the worst thing that could ever, ever happen, and that everything else which is not as bad as that is therefore justified.

Seems to me that hundreds of thousands of people obliterated in a few minutes would be very, very undesirable.

Very, very undesirable yes. But that's not my question. The question was, basically: Is it the worst thing that could ever, ever happen?

You conveniently ignored the second part of what I was posting, so here's part two again:

old europe wrote:
Or you can believe that even if that would happen, America would survive it just as it has survived 9/11, and that measures which turn the US from democracy into dictatorship are a far greater threat than anything else.
0 Replies