I have a confession to make...

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 06:28 am
I am a progressive person who tends to vote more to the left than right. I have voted for 'both' parties as well as independants.

However, I have a confession to make - I like what Arnold is doing out in California. He seems level headed, intelligent, and doing good things. I like what is is doing with solar energy, education (although that seems to be his area of contention - you can't please everyone), and other areas.

Could it be... that he is actually a good candidate?!? Could it be that I like... even seem to support... (gulp) a republican who used to be a body builder and then a cheeseball actor?!?

I think I do like the Govenator... that is my confession. Progressives - what pennance must I make? Conservatives... No he has not won a convert! Wink

What do you think of Arnie? Am I missing something?

TTF

p.s. Tico - I KNOW I just made your day! Wink
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,712 • Replies: 26
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 06:37 am
Maybe you are not as "progressive" as you think you are. Sometimes people pin political labels on themselves just to be "part of a crowd".

Most "liberals" are not as "liberal" as they think they are, same with so called conservatives.

For example, how can a TRUE CONSERVATIVE actually support the policies of GW?

Congrats, you may have reached the first step in freeing yourself of the "progressive" label by actually recognizing that you may not be one.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:07 am
Woo! At last, we're finally getting somewhere with the abandonment of a black and white, bipartisan view.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:17 am
He who sits in middle of road gets run over by traffic going in both directions.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:18 am
Yeah - I simply picked the name because I wanted to give a tag that would allow me to get the thread started. I do not belong to any part of a party or group politically. I don't think many of us on this board vote straight ticket.

I have realized LONG ago I did not belong in any party. Like the quote goes - I don't want to belong to any party that would have me as a member. I think that was a Marx brother.

TTF
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:36 am
spendius wrote:
He who sits in middle of road gets run over by traffic going in both directions.

Laughing Laughing Spendius.....you may NOT be ALL bad afterall.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 09:20 am
I hear you, TTF. How could you trust anyone whose mind is made up by a party - or bumper sticker, for that matter.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 09:25 am
I have almost never been a member of any political party, I get all the wisdom I need from fortune cookies.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 10:37 am
dys Laughing

Actually, the Republicans are not too happy with Schwarzenegger. He's too liberal in their point of view,
and the biggest no-no is that he's openly pro choice.

Having married into a Democratic household has taken its
toll, I guess. Smile

He's been trying very hard to get small businesses back
into California with solid incentives of tax write offs an deferments.

He helped regulate Workers Comp insurances that skyrocketed in past years, and forced small shop owners
out of business. My new Workers Comp payments are
thousands less than last year - with the same insurance
carrier mind you.

He brought his budget proposals to the people to vote on,
and with the majority of voters, he passed his bill.

Schwarzenegger is certainly not liked by everyone, but
no one can fault him for not trying to turn around
California's economy.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 10:40 am
See I think that Arnie is a Republican that runs on what republican's say they run on. (I am not slamming anyone - I wish everyone did)

I agree with every value of the republican's (Family, Religion, Smaller Government, etc) but it seems when people get into office they cannot seperate thier values from the money that get's them there.

Arnie seems to be doing a good job of 'keeping it real'. Maybe because he don't need no ones stinking money.

TTF
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 11:06 am
Don't bet on him sticking around too long, is all I'm saying....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 11:13 am
I actually am looking forward to the next governor
election, as I am certain Schwarzenegger will run again.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 12:40 pm
Ray said--

" Spendius.....you may NOT be ALL bad afterall."

What's bad about me then?I'm well steeped in Henry Miller,Norman Mailer,Bob Dylan,Thornstein Veblen and many more thorough-bred Americans and not least too many movies to count.

I stopped work today to watch the shuttle.What a feat.What guts.I never miss one.I think I have read every important American book and every biography of every President.

None of those guys above would have done that first post on the other thread of yours and some of the stuff that has followed would have creased
them.Just irresponsible pet theories thought up on the spur of the moment for a variety of self-serving reasons by wannabes.

It's about time your population realised that this is "the mother of all battles" though.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 12:53 pm
BBB
The only reason Arnold got elected was because his wife, Maria Shriver, saved his butt from all the scandals during his campaign.

BBB
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 02:41 pm
BBB:

Saved his butt. Was the pun intended? Wink

TF
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 03:36 pm
Spendius wrote:

It's about time your population realised that this is "the mother of all battles" though.

Pardon me while I choke and gasp a little at your audacious hypocrisy. Seems to me a large percentage or our population demonstrated their grasp of the situation when we voted Bush back into office while a high percentage of your population were ignoring the preaching of hate by the fanatics in your Muslim community. A community that has demonstrated their unwillingness to assimilate and integrate even though they have been encouraged to do so.

They instead want to establish their enclaves of Islam and want all the privileges of being British, but spit on your society.

I don't want to hijack this thread so let's take this to my thread....The quote of the century.

Sorry TTF, but I know very little about Arnold except to say that he appears to be making a lot of good moves and is serious about bringing California back from the brink.
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:33 pm
Actually, Arnold's biggest threat comes from the Democratic controlled legislature. They have mobilized most of the government employee unions against him.

Interesting thing about Arnie is how hard it is to pin a label on him. He gives both liberals and conservatives fits, which is why he might actually turn out to be successful......
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 09:01 pm
I agree with that (The second half of your post) which is why I liked him - Course I liked Jesse Ventura too. Sheesh what is happening to America.

Bar the Actor we hired in the 80's as president - I have liked the rest of the actors turned politician. Wink

TF
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 09:12 pm
Arnold and Guiliani are examples of a Federalist styled Republican--or a Republican without the religious agenda.

Religious Righties have as much right to vote their conscience as the rest of us--but I am excited about Republicans who have no intention of turning back R v W, but are going to limit abortion--who are gay-friendly--who are anti-AA based soley on skin color--who are for creating an environment in which people can be successful--who support meritocracy--holding teachers to a standard--who are against unions because of what that is doing to our economy--who are for a welcoming immigration policy, but zero tolerance for illegal immigration--

I hope Arnold is a sign of things to come for the Republicans.

I don't think he wants to run again--but from what I hear, he's done a very good job.

(He has to go outside to smoke the cigars, and this is a bone of contention.)

Smile
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 01:09 am
Re: I have a confession to make...
thethinkfactory wrote:
I am a progressive person who tends to vote more to the left than right. I have voted for 'both' parties as well as independants.

And....?

However, I have a confession to make - I like what Arnold is doing out in California. He seems level headed, intelligent, and doing good things. I like what is is doing with solar energy, education (although that seems to be his area of contention - you can't please everyone), and other areas.

Who doesn't like Arnold? Well, there are plenty of people who feel compelled to dislike Arnold because he declared for the GOP, but these, as we all know, are partisan twits. How can one not admire the Austrian Horatio Alger?

Could it be... that he is actually a good candidate?!? Could it be that I like... even seem to support... (gulp) a republican who used to be a body builder and then a cheeseball actor?!?

Yes, yes...yes! Now ask yourself why you find it so difficult to reconcile your appreciation of a remarkable man with the fact that he is a Republican.

I think I do like the Govenator... that is my confession. Progressives - what pennance must I make? Conservatives... No he has not won a convert! Wink

He's not won a convert? You could have fooled me.

What do you think of Arnie? Am I missing something?

You're not missing anything. Arnold's problems are that politics are more insidious than any evil villan he faced in the movies. We (the collective We) don't really want an iconoclast. Arnold and Jesse (The sexual tyranosaurus) may achieve novelty wins, but still the voters want EVERYTHING.

However...I will never count Arnold out. If there is a person who can shape reality thorugh his will, it is Arnold. If Arnold ever predicts he will be president of the US, liquidate your Christmus Club fund and bet it all on the Terminator.
TTF

p.s. Tico - I KNOW I just made your day! Wink
0 Replies