I have a confession to make...

thethinkfactory

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 06:48 am
Lash wrote:
Arnold and Guiliani are examples of a Federalist styled Republican--or a Republican without the religious agenda.

Religious Righties have as much right to vote their conscience as the rest of us--but I am excited about Republicans who have no intention of turning back R v W, but are going to limit abortion--who are gay-friendly--who are anti-AA based soley on skin color--who are for creating an environment in which people can be successful--who support meritocracy--holding teachers to a standard--who are against unions because of what that is doing to our economy--who are for a welcoming immigration policy, but zero tolerance for illegal immigration--

I hope Arnold is a sign of things to come for the Republicans.

I don't think he wants to run again--but from what I hear, he's done a very good job.

(He has to go outside to smoke the cigars, and this is a bone of contention.)

Smile

OMG Lash - you and I agree on ALL of this. Amazing!

Well, I have one caveat - holding teachers to standards is fine - but you need to fund the testing and continual education it takes for public educators to stay current. Much of 'No Child' is unfunded.

THe rest of it, my friend, you and I can have a toast on - and smoke cigar.

TTF
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 06:58 am
Finn - I think you missed my joke / point.

I was only saying that if you put Arnolds resume in front of you - it doesn't scream Govenor of one of the largest states in the Union.

The fact that I like him - is a suprise to me.

TTF

p.s. Arnie would have to get the constitution changed before he could be president. Wink
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 09:27 am
Woo-hoo!!!!

A nice day!!!

Glad to find common ground, Think!
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 01:29 pm
thethinkfactory wrote:
Lash wrote:
Arnold and Guiliani are examples of a Federalist styled Republican--or a Republican without the religious agenda.

Religious Righties have as much right to vote their conscience as the rest of us--but I am excited about Republicans who have no intention of turning back R v W, but are going to limit abortion--who are gay-friendly--who are anti-AA based soley on skin color--who are for creating an environment in which people can be successful--who support meritocracy--holding teachers to a standard--who are against unions because of what that is doing to our economy--who are for a welcoming immigration policy, but zero tolerance for illegal immigration--

I hope Arnold is a sign of things to come for the Republicans.

I don't think he wants to run again--but from what I hear, he's done a very good job.

(He has to go outside to smoke the cigars, and this is a bone of contention.)

Smile

OMG Lash - you and I agree on ALL of this. Amazing!

Well, I have one caveat - holding teachers to standards is fine - but you need to fund the testing and continual education it takes for public educators to stay current. Much of 'No Child' is unfunded.

THe rest of it, my friend, you and I can have a toast on - and smoke cigar.

TTF

http://www.factcheck.org/imagefiles/Funding%20for%20Dept%20of%20Education2.gif
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 04:31 pm
That doesn't prove much, JW, but thanks for trying.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 09:12 pm
Coming from education I would like to see WHERE that money is going. I have a feeling, knowing the president is a large supporter of Privitized education that this money is going to subsidies of that area of education.

Personally, I know that federally every college I have worked at (3) under the Bush regime has had funding cut drastically. In Texas, where I teach now, the State budget is have a hell of a time making up the shortfall. I have no clue where you got that chart but... SHOW me the money! Wink

TTF
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 06:58 am
TTF - that chart was generated by factcheck.org in their debunking of a DNC ad during the 2004 campaign wherein the Democrats claimed Bush "cut key education programs by 27%". They contend that, in fact, federal spending for education has soared under Bush, even if it hasn't gone up as much as the DNC would like.

They validate their chart as follows:

Quote:
As shown in the chart below, funding for the Department of Education is up 58% in the first three years of Bush's term and is set to rise further under the budget he proposed in January. It's already gone up more under Bush than it did during all of Clinton's eight years, in fact. So where's the "cut?"

I realize that the current hand-wringing is over states claiming underfunding for teacher-training to administer the mandatory tests, but I, personally, don't think throwing more money at a problem is necessarily the last word in finding a "solution".

What do you teach?

PS Bush isn't so much for "privatized education" as he is a proponent of school vouchers. I'm assuming that's what you meant.

Edit to add:

PS You can determine the source of any graphic by right-clicking on it and choosing "Properties" from the pull-down menu.
0 Replies