What species of birds make good watchpets?

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2021 11:27 pm
Hi. I know this sounds like bit of an odd question.

People often keep dogs as watchpets and I know somewhere in the Middle East people train Siamese cats to attack people.

I would like to think parrots would make good watchpets but I have never heard about any accounts of parrots attacking intruders.

I am curious. Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,845 • Replies: 14

izzythepush

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2021 01:12 am
Ostriches, but they get very lonely on their own you'll need at least three.

I know a guy, he can sort you out.

0 Replies

The Anointed

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2021 02:04 am
@JGoldman10,
Get yourself a gaggle of Geese, although one as a pet will suffice.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2021 04:03 am
@The Anointed,
The Anointed wrote:

Get yourself a gaggle of Geese, although one as a pet will suffice.

FINALLY...something I can agree with you about.

Geese have been used throughout history as watch animals. I spend lots of time on golf courses. Ya don't wanna mess with them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guard_goose

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2021 05:16 am
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.d5Ay-cI_aj3-0--ysSbDRwAAAA%26pid%3DApi&f=1

cassowary
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2021 05:29 am
@JGoldman10,
I say I say what you need is a fighting I say Rooster.

A do dah do dah day.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2021 07:14 am
I would say a crow.

You can train a very young crow and they can be very mean. Besides they attack in the horror movie "The Birds" so just seeing a group hanging might scare someone.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/12/29/article-2079644-0F4A685B00000578-107_306x423.jpg
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2021 09:54 am
@JGoldman10,
The one thing you can do with a parrot though is to teach it to "bark". People have done that and used them as a warning for intruders - though they would not attack someone simply the barking my cause intruders to go elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i4gzIeMOfQ

Or you could teach it to say something that could scare it away - as long as it does not sound like a parrot -
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2021 12:20 pm
1. I suggest Rodan.

2. Any bird that had the guts to do battle with Godzilla would most definitely make a good watch bird.

3. The one biggest downside will probably be finding a place where the landlord will allow Rodan on the property.

4. If such a landlord does allow this, I would expect there to be a very expensive pet deposit fee.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2021 03:00 pm
@JGoldman10,
geese are goo but they gt big when they are of best use,They get aggressive and can hurt kids or small pets. Weve been using INDIA RUNNING DUCKS (look em up) They look like duck sized bowling pins an they run, head up ans they too will attack in bunches. Only thing is, ya teach your pets to not b afraid of em an even a littl kid can pick one up an dispatch it (they taste great too).

They get aggressive after they mate an get broody thats when a small flock looks like a banzai brigade.
they are quite comical otherwise , the only thing not afraid of a skein of attack ducks is a coopers hawk.

some people swear by guinea hens, weve never had luck with them since they are extremely stupid and although they make this metallic noise, that only warns the predator where their next meal is.
india running ducks, youll need at least an acre to let em do their best running.

Linkat

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2021 04:48 pm
@farmerman,
I love those running ducks I've seen videos of them. They look so cool when they are all running.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2021 07:54 pm
@JGoldman10,
Peacock, Guinea Fowl, Geese are the top three. And they do a good job, too.
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2021 10:36 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
only prwith peacocks is they make these calls all the time, the cocks sound off like roosters all day
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2021 02:33 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Peacocks wander.

My friend had one, it's not hers any more it's the village's.
0 Replies

AmyBear11

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2023 10:13 pm
African Grey Parrots, Cockatoos, and Amazon Parrots are three species of birds that are often considered good watchpets due to their alertness, vocalizations, and territorial nature.
0 Replies