Poll: Where were you on 9/11?

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2021 08:43 pm
Hi. I'm just a little curious about this.

Where were you on 9/11?

I was at home, about to go out to do some job hunting, and my dad called my mother on the phone to tell her to turn the TV on. My family and I watched the terrorist attack against the World Trade Center live on TV.

What about you? Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 1,596 • Replies: 13
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2021 06:43 am
@JGoldman10,
we wre towing a 36 ft Holiday Ramblr hom from a month in Maine andwe were just S of New Haven Conn on I95 when Howard Stern started getting news about a plane crashing into the WTC. The rest of the trip home wa me and Mrs F listening to people actually crying and /or praying in groups along the highways (I95 all the wy down to the Pa Turnpike ). It was a blur of emotion and wanting to get home for the next phase which we almost knew was gonna be some kind of a war .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2021 07:07 am
I was working, doing maintenance man stuff. I always played the radio in the shop. which is how I heard the broadcast as it was going down. The first plane had already impacted the first building. I described it for my coworker over the in-house radio as it played out. I don't even remember the rest of that day.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2021 08:20 am
My mother-in-law celebrated her birthday. I was bored with the [persons at the] afternoon coffee and cake - while zapping through the TV programmes in the sitting room, the breaking news and live reports came on.
The people in the next room didn't believe me at first when I told them.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2021 08:46 am
I was in a high school, getting ready to teach a Physics class. The first plane hit when I was in a free period. When the second plane struck the tower, I was in front of 25 students.

We spent the rest of the day watching TV coverage..
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2021 09:57 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Where were you on 9/11?

I was at home, about to go out to do some job hunting, and my dad called my mother on the phone to tell her to turn the TV on. My family and I watched the terrorist attack against the World Trade Center live on TV.

I was playing golf. The starter was a friend of mine...and drove out to our foursome to tell me the news. (He spread the news to other groups also.)

I asked him to take me in from the hole I was playing. I wanted to get home immediately. My wife has a sister who worked in the towers...and another who was a flight attendant...so I was very worried. Both were okay...the one was not scheduled for a flight that day...and the other had been sourced out to an office in Queens. (She did not get home until the next day.)

On my way home from the course, I passed a monument to George Washington, who used a rock on a small mountain near the course for reconnoitering purposes. You can easily see the New York skyline from there...and it was packed with hundreds of people staring off to the northeast toward the City.

When I got home, the first tower had fallen...and I watched the second tower fall.

Sad, sad day.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2021 09:58 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I totally see why no one believed you. Because I didn't believe it when someone first told me.

We were at a Disney hotel in Florida. I was in line checking out while my husband was nearby keeping an eye on our who just under 3. We had a flight scheduled that afternoon. My husband came up to me to tell me that a woman said two planes hit the world trade center in new york. I didn't believe him ...or more so the stranger that told him.. I said that's not possible she had to be wrong.

So after I checked out you could feel the atmosphere. I said I will call the airline to verify our flights before we go any where. The woman on the phone was understandably upset and told me what happened. I began to shake. She then became a bit more professional and told me although all the planes are grounded right now our flight was still being shown to be on time ...she suggested changing us to the next day so we did.

We ended up biking a different hotel as we kind of wanted to get a little away from the Disney theme. I remember trying to all my mother knowing she would be worried as we were supposed to fly that day ...it took hours to get a call through phone lines were flooded. While sitting outside and watching the little one in the kiddie pool . while being near the outdoor bars I we could listen to the news...I looked at my husband and said...I don't want to fly lets rent a car instead and drive home. He said really? I said yes ... We then called, reserved a car for the next morning. Who would have thought that my fear of getting on a plane would have been the best decision as the next day all the cat rentals were gone.

We reserved the car at the airport. Took a shuttle to the airport...imagine Orlando national airport and all we saw that morning was one other car when we arrived at the airport. Told my daughter we have to drive home because right now none if the planes can fly. It is a very long drive so you will need to try your very best to be good. We stopped overnight in North Carolina and then drive the rest of the way. On the Jersey pike you could see the smoke still rising where the towers were.

We had our car parked in the parking garage at the airport. They did not charge us for parking so it basically paid for the car rental. I just remember how odd it seemed without any planes in the air around boston.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2021 11:51 am
@JGoldman10,
I was at a car wash and saw what was happening on a TV in the lobby. The first comment I heard was by an employee passing through who announced "AWESOME!"

I then went to work and for the rest of the day fielded non stop calls from employees demanding to know that they were going to get their paychecks. The same people who a week later were waving flags and offering prayers.

At one point that day I put my head down on my desk and wept because of of absolute depravity and selfishness of people. Then later the hypocracy.

I have since seen nothing to change my stance.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2021 01:30 pm

working in south bahstin.

can't remember how i heard the news -- maybe a CNN email alert, or maybe the radio.

hung around until 11:30, then walked home -- a six mile trek.

was relieved when i was clear of the tall buildings downtown.

that night at home i remember feeling uneasy, as if we were no longer safe no matter where we were...
0 Replies

Jingleboots

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2021 12:44 pm
@JGoldman10,
I was at work on my computer and our mail lady came up and said that a plane had hit the world trade center (first one) and we went to the online news and watched from my desk. It was the most horrific, devastating thing I have ever witnessed. Horrible, horrible day. Prayers for all the victims and their loved ones now and always !
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2021 01:25 pm
@JGoldman10,
Working as a casual carrier (temp position) at the USPS. Was in the post office sorting mail before heading out on my route when I found out.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2021 01:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Working as a casual carrier (temp position) at the USPS. Was in the post office sorting mail before heading out on my route when I found out.

Were you working in Manhattan?
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2021 06:02 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Where were you on 9/11?

My dad used to joke around a lot. My mother and I thought he was joking when he called my mother on the phone to turn the TV on.

One of my mother's cousins and a fellow coworker were in the WTC on 9/11. They went down into the basement of the building. They were down there when the WTC was bombed. They managed to survive.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2021 08:58 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

Were you working in Manhattan?

I had yet to move to NYC. That was when I lived in Massachusetts.
0 Replies