Spring Forward Early, Fall Back Late?

JPB

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 10:44 am
littlek wrote:
What reason is there NOT to shift into DLS time all year around. I could use the extra time at sunset in mid december.

They did that in 1973 because of the oil embargo. There were a number of issues with it, the most severe being kids getting killed waiting in the dark for their morning bus pickups. I think it was rescinded after a short time because the downside was worse than any upside in energy savings.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 10:50 am
Microsoft: Daylight Saving Time Help and Support Center

Oh, and Canada and the US both have adopted the new DST schedule. Mexico has not, but may do so next year.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 10:52 am
timberlandko wrote:
Oh, and Canada and the US both have adopted the new DST schedule. Mexico has not, but may do so next year.

Stupid as we Europeans are it is to fear that we will follow in some years (we just have got one summer time for all countries since a few years).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 10:54 am
Date when that happens, I meant (above post).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 11:07 am
A lot of people deal with SAD in the winter months. I probably don't have that, exactly, but as a night blind person, every hour of daylight I get in early evening is empowering for me. I shouldn't drive even in twilight. Back when I worked in California, I had to leave work at about 4 in December and not stop for groceries, etc., in order to be a safe driver on the roads, and then stay home. This is a little tough month in and month out, though late December is the most difficult. I thrive on daylight saving.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 11:14 am
Except for a brief window when I had to be at my office by 7:30 AM (and had a half-hour commute), I've never been a morning person. So I'm all for evening light.

Sozlet's starting first grade next year though (after three years of afternoon preschool and afternoon kindergarten) so my thinking is going to change soon.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 11:25 am
ossobuco wrote:
A lot of people deal with SAD in the winter months. I probably don't have that, exactly, but as a night blind person, every hour of daylight I get in early evening is empowering for me. I shouldn't drive even in twilight. Back when I worked in California, I had to leave work at about 4 in December and not stop for groceries, etc., in order to be a safe driver on the roads, and then stay home. This is a little tough month in and month out, though late December is the most difficult. I thrive on daylight saving.

I have two SAD sufferers here; January is a very difficult month. Due to school schedules and whatnot, we're up by 5:45 am. Putting us back to January type morning darkness is a hard pill to swallow.

On the other hand, I can see how those with night blindness issues would prefer the light at the end of the day.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 11:44 am
Reyn wrote:
I've not heard anything if the extended daylight savings time hours will be extended to Canada yet.

ohhhh we're doing it in Canada and I'm still p!ssed about it

the puter guys at work were patching Outlook this weekend in anticipation of the upcoming glitches
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 03:05 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Reyn wrote:
I've not heard anything if the extended daylight savings time hours will be extended to Canada yet.

How come I haven't heard about this? I don't think it's widely known that Canada will follow the U.S. with this change to DST?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 03:06 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Microsoft: Daylight Saving Time Help and Support Center

Thank you for the link, timber.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 03:18 pm
Reyn wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
Reyn wrote:

How come I haven't heard about this? I don't think it's widely known that Canada will follow the U.S. with this change to DST?

Beth, I think it's even dafter than I originally thought.

So far, as much as I can make out, Ontario and Quebec are the only provinces in Canada that are harmonizing their DSTs with the U.S. Can anyone else confirm this?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 05:14 pm
British Columbia Daylight Savings details

Quote:
Most of British Columbia Canada is in the Pacific Time Zone except for a few communities which observe Mountain Time. Most of British Columbia observes Daylight Saving Time.

Quote:
In British Columbia Canada Daylight Saving Time begins at 2:00 a.m. local time on the second Sunday in March. On the first Sunday in November areas on Daylight Saving Time return to Standard Time at 2:00 a.m. During Daylight Saving Time turn your clocks ahead one hour.

NEW! In 2007 Daylight Saving Time begins three weeks earlier on the second Sunday in March and end on the first Sunday in November. Read more about the change in Daylight Saving Time here.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 05:15 pm
DST Canada main page
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 05:24 pm
Thanks, Beth. I really appreciate that info.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 05:33 pm
Somebody's bound to ask - might as well be me. Is it just you behind the times, Reyn, or is that a general Canajun thing?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 06:18 pm
oy!

bird - you're cruisin'
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 11:13 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Somebody's bound to ask - might as well be me. Is it just you behind the times, Reyn, or is that a general Canajun thing?

It's a bit more confusing than that.

At one point, I can remember talk about only certain provinces converting to the new DST times, and never heard about any follow-up.. The media here has done a poor job in following this story.

I'm betting that I won't be the only smuck that has been caught a bit off-guard.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 08:36 am
Those Canadian newspapers are always hiding the truth. Good thing you guys got the internet.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 09:31 am
Ahhhh, don't feel too special, there, Reyn - even under the previous schedule, plenty of Yanks were caught off guard every year - some twice a year. This upcoming change is bound to generate a whole buncha merriment.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 11:12 am
I've just had to send a report to our IT team.

Seems the DST patch they put on our Outlook - instead of adjusting things by an hour - turned every appointment/meeting (in the March 11-31 block) into a full two-day event. Twisted Evil
0 Replies