This is Biden's America

edgarblythe

Tue 19 Jul, 2022 07:01 am
@izzythepush,
I'm trying.
bulmabriefs144

Tue 19 Jul, 2022 07:17 am
@edgarblythe,
You need to choose an actual middle-of-the-road candidate, one that conservatives won't fight you on. Biden pretended at that, but look where it got us. It may mean putting some liberal ideas on the back-burner, but he probably wouldn't be too far conservative either. Just four years of ppl calming down.

But I don't see this as happening. The media has gotten increasingly strange, and they would stir ppl into a frenzy regardless. We had another Calvin Coolidge president, they'd probably accuse him of being weak and out of touch.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 19 Jul, 2022 07:36 am
@edgarblythe,
Good luck.
edgarblythe

Tue 19 Jul, 2022 07:38 am
@izzythepush,
Not optimistic.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 19 Jul, 2022 07:39 am
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jul/18/california-homelessness-crisis-mojave-desert
As police crack down on homelessness, unhoused end up in Mojave desert
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 19 Jul, 2022 08:29 am
@edgarblythe,
I honestly don't see Biden running for a second term. I hope he has the wisdom to admit to himself that he should step out of the way and we're spared the pain and melodrama of him campaigning in the primaries with fellow Democrats attacking him. He actually had a pretty progressive plan which could have accomplished a lot of good things.

The persistence of covid was one setback, and nothing he could have controlled. The Afghanistan withdrawal was a debacle – ugly to see and exploited by the flag-wavers but it was a fantasy to think it could have been accomplished in a picture-perfect manner and we're better off out of there. The supply chain breakdowns caused by covid and the resulting hit to the global economy, caused by longstanding structural problems, should be blamed on our economic system, not one man. The droughts, fires, harvest failures and resulting higher food prices are the predicted results of climate change and population, and not due to his policies. And then there are things like the rise of organized disinformation, the treachery of coal baron Manchin, the conservative Supreme Court, and Putin's imperial ambitions, none of which can be blamed on Biden.

Could a more dynamic president have done better? Well, yeah, as far as communication goes. It would be great of have someone making the case in an informative and energetic manner. But while JFK, Bill Clinton, or Obama might have been more reassuring, they couldn't affect the unprecedented confluence of negative developments in the global economy, planetary health, and ultra-nationalism. If anyone thinks Trump (or any other one person) could have managed these simultaneous crises effectively they're just kidding themselves. This is a world made by 300 years of industrial capitalism. The environmental bill is coming due.
edgarblythe

Tue 19 Jul, 2022 08:44 am
There is so much wrong with the Biden administration that even people who like him are beginning to see. There is the propensity to cover for him and blame anything but him, but he is the main feature of the administration, not some helpless figurehead. I don't consider his age to be a factor or his gaffes. He is simply the wrong man for the job. I hope I am wrong about the extent of catastrophe his presidency heralds.
Frank Apisa

Tue 19 Jul, 2022 08:54 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

I honestly don't see Biden running for a second term. I hope he has the wisdom to admit to himself that he should step out of the way and we're spared the pain and melodrama of him campaigning in the primaries with fellow Democrats attacking him. He actually had a pretty progressive plan which could have accomplished a lot of good things.

The persistence of covid was one setback, and nothing he could have controlled. The Afghanistan withdrawal was a debacle – ugly to see and exploited by the flag-wavers but it was a fantasy to think it could have been accomplished in a picture-perfect manner and we're better off out of there. The supply chain breakdowns caused by covid and the resulting hit to the global economy, caused by longstanding structural problems, should be blamed on our economic system, not one man. The droughts, fires, harvest failures and resulting higher food prices are the predicted results of climate change and population, and not due to his policies. And then there are things like the rise of organized disinformation, the treachery of coal baron Manchin, the conservative Supreme Court, and Putin's imperial ambitions, none of which can be blamed on Biden.

Could a more dynamic president have done better? Well, yeah, as far as communication goes. It would be great of have someone making the case in an informative and energetic manner. But while JFK, Bill Clinton, or Obama might have been more reassuring, they couldn't affect the unprecedented confluence of negative developments in the global economy, planetary health, and ultra-nationalism. If anyone thinks Trump (or any other one person) could have managed these simultaneous crises effectively they're just kidding themselves. This is a world made by 300 years of industrial capitalism. The environmental bill is coming due.

Agree...pretty much all the way.

One thing I will note, though, is that if Joe Biden were to announce that he was "stepping aside" right now, he would make the rest of his term an early lame duck one...and insure total failure.

There is no reason for a guy who has contributed so much over so long a time to do that to himself.

He is not going to run again, but he is not going to announce that until an appropriate time. (Which I see as some time early next year. Still the lame duck problem, but still some time hopefully to get some things done.)
Frank Apisa

Tue 19 Jul, 2022 08:57 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

There is so much wrong with the Biden administration that even people who like him are beginning to see. There is the propensity to cover for him and blame anything but him, but he is the main feature of the administration, not some helpless figurehead. I don't consider his age to be a factor or his gaffes. He is simply the wrong man for the job. I hope I am wrong about the extent of catastrophe his presidency heralds.

One of the "things wrong" with the Biden administration are people like you and Lash...with your constant crying, whining, and complaining.

Get over yourself.
izzythepush

Tue 19 Jul, 2022 09:07 am
@Frank Apisa,
He's not much of a politician.

When he was asked about military action in Iran he could have avoided the question. He vould have said talk of war was irresponsible or that now is not the time to talk of war, or any number of prevaricating answers.

His ministers didn't give into a yes no total war or capitulation answer when asked about Russia's nuclear war rhetoric, so it's not beyond his wit to behave like a responsible politician.

And before you respond in your typical tu quoque manner, Boris Johnson is a pile of **** who is unfit for office.

Yet even he is not incompetant enough to threaten Iran militarily.

It was a major **** up.

I hope whoever is in charge of the 5th fleet beefs up security because it's going to need it.
hightor

Tue 19 Jul, 2022 09:11 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
One thing I will note, though, is that if Joe Biden were to announce that he was "stepping aside" right now, he would make the rest of his term an early lame duck one...and insure total failure.

Of course. That's the rules of the game.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 19 Jul, 2022 09:22 am
@izzythepush,
And he should have kept his word about Shireen Abu Akleh.

He lied. And when he lied hetold ghe Arab World that America is not to be trusted.

Trump was not an aberration in that respect, he was continuing the West's crusader legacy, as is Biden.
bulmabriefs144

Tue 19 Jul, 2022 10:45 am
@hightor,
Quote:
The persistence of covid was one setback, and nothing he could have controlled.

Now I know you're delusional. The COVID "outbreak" was a Chinese-run psy-op intended to weaken western countries, as evidenced by the clustering.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/816868397836926996/998988937789980712/Screenshot_2022-07-19_at_12-24-37_Covid_map_Coronavirus_cases_deaths_vaccinations_by_country.png

Just so you know, this is not spread by population. China has a freakisng huge population, but they put a quick end to it. South America, you might be able to claim some crap about how it avoided spread due to population density, but Africa has over a billion people. Likewise, this is showing South Korea and Japan but not a separate blip for North Korea. Huge blip for UK, much smaller for Ireland and Scotland.

Totally political.

At any time, Biden could have said "COVID is no longer a threat" and woke media would declare it true.

Biden is so incompetent, he couldn't even get rid of a fake disease.

As for Afghanistan, Trump literally gave him a packaged solution. He just had to negotiate terms of Al Qaeda surrender. Instead, he suddenly ran off like a little bitch. Dude, I could have done better as a president, simply by leaving the situation to commanding officers. "I don't know what to do here, so I'll let you guys straighten it out." ******* simple.

Supply chains would not have broken down if he'd done less. That's right, he could just have refused to mandate anything for COVID and the economy would have worked itself out. Instead he doubled down on mask and vaccine requirements, and some people never went back to work. He also paid people not to work. Smash up job there!

And climate change isn't real.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2014/nov/25/climate-change-is-an-obvious-myth-how-much-more-evidence-do-you-need

California and such have fires because their forestry sucks. Liberals wanting to save all the trees have created overcrowded and dry forests which routinely burn to the ground. By contrast east coast forests are well managed. None of this results in a suck supply chain. What does? "Cover crops." Paying farmers not to plant anything edible. Hiring inexperienced black farmers, something done in Zimbabwe just before runaway inflation. Yes it damned well is his policies.
Frank Apisa

Tue 19 Jul, 2022 10:58 am
Obviously Bulma has fallen off the edge of his flat Earth.
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 19 Jul, 2022 11:35 am
@bulmabriefs144,
Quote:
And climate change isn't real.

I guess you missed this, all the way at the end of the piece:
Quote:
Dean Burnett doesn’t actually agree with any of the claims in this piece, but don’t let that stop you commenting or shouting at him on Twitter

I'm not wasting any more time with you today.
izzythepush

Tue 19 Jul, 2022 12:00 pm
@izzythepush,
Right now the ulra religious nutjobs running the country are clamping down on pet ownership. Dogs, long seen as dirty in Islam, are being viewed as a symbol of Westernism. One can be arrested for walking a dog.

Not just dogs but cats too, including Persian cats, soon to be illegal in Persia.

Where can the normally western looking urban populace turn?

When the deal was signed with Obama they could look to America to seek some sort of rapproachment, an easing of sanctions for modest reform, something like that.

Not any more.

Biden is pumping up the war rhetoric, looking to the West is treasonous. The hardliners are emboldened.

They're no longer brutal enforcers of rules that severely limit people's civil rights, they're the heroes stancing up to the Crusaders.

They're the heirs of Saladin, the Saracen leader who took back Jerusalem from the Crusader infidels, and all the radicals, Shia AND Sunni will want to take part in the glorious jihad.

Don't expect Russia to sit idly by either.
edgarblythe

Tue 19 Jul, 2022 12:00 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

And he should have kept his word about Shireen Abu Akleh.

He lied. And when he lied hetold ghe Arab World that America is not to be trusted.

Trump was not an aberration in that respect, he was continuing the West's crusader legacy, as is Biden.

Trump didn't buck that legacy, but he didn't seem as committed to it as Biden. Biden has a laser focus on this ****.
izzythepush

Tue 19 Jul, 2022 12:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
The problem with the ME and America is that foreign policy often reflects domestic prejudice.

Iran is the old enemy ever since the hostage crisis at the beginning of the Islamic revolution.

In Trump and Biden's eagerness to improve relations between Israel and the Gulf states, they've cosied up to some pretty repulsive characters, and held back real democratic change.

Look at Egypt, when the first real democratic elections returned the Muslim Brotherhood, the West helped engineer a coup and returned Sisi, another dictator.

The Muslim Brotherhood wrre hardline, but they were also democratic. They wouldn't have lasted more than a single term because their domestic policies were so unpopular. The only reason they got in in the first place was because they were the only organised oppisition in existence when the revolution kicked off.

What does that tell radical Muslims about Democracy?

It doesn't work, if they aren't allowed to win peacefully and democratically they might as well be violent.
edgarblythe

Tue 19 Jul, 2022 12:27 pm
@izzythepush,
Just one of many instances of persuasion our foreign policy relies on. Consider Libya: "Qaddafi was not killed for humanitarian purposes but for the oil and for money. His ideas of an African gold-backed currency were his major undoing."
izzythepush

Tue 19 Jul, 2022 01:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Libya is another case. A power sharing deal has just been announced between the two main rivals. One of them was backed by Putin and is not very popular over here. Khalifa Haftsr has also been accused of human rights abuses, but he's hardly worse than the Saudi Crown Prince.

Btw, that fist bump will symbolise the whole sorry affair.

The crusades are a real problem for the West. Now America may say it has nothing to do with them, but that isn't how it is seen in the ME. America was set up and is still mostly run by the descendents of Crusader nations.

America is an ally of those same Crusader nations, and after 9/11 George W Bush announced a crusade.

That was his choice of words.

The Russians have no such problems. That's not to say they've not been wabinb war against Moslems. They have, and the Muslim populatiobs of the former Soviet Union are testament to that.

They weren't fighting Arabs, or Persians, they were fighting Turks. The soldiers of the Ottoman troops that were occupying Arab lands.

That's the baseline, how the dice are loaded in the ME.
0 Replies