Denver Bans Pit Bulls

husker

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 12:38 am
CowDoc - what's it going to cost me for my youngest to become a Vet? She's leaning pretty hard that direction.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 08:33 am
And welcome back to a2k, cowdoc!
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 09:56 am
I have no idea what college fees are these days, or how difficult the process has become. Thirty years ago, my tuition was $279 a semester. I assure you that has changed dramatically. When I was at K-State, I lived in basements for $20 a month (they were somewhat less than fancy - or livable) and worked three jobs at a time to get through six years of college. The vet school itself was an exercise in stress-handling. All courses were prerequisites for the next semester, so flunking any course meant you were on the street, eligible to re-apply in two years. We lost fourteen guys from my class on grades, and one girl had a nervous breakdown. As I said, I'm sure things have changed. It was dandy training, though, because I spent the next three decades working seventy hours a week to earn roughly twenty-five to thirty thousand bucks a year.
And it's good to be back, osso. I'v been all over the country since spring, but I'm back for six weeks after the meeting in Hawaii last month. Hopefully, I'll be able to browse the posts a bit more often for a while.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 10:02 am
A meeting in Hawaii, that sounds like fun.

Husker, ask Patiodog... he should have up to the minute information on Veterinary school...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 10:19 am
CowDoc wrote:
In my humble opinion, the biggest problem that the pet population of this country faces is that people are bound and determined to own a particular breed of dog, rather than simply seeking out a well-tempered individual. Because of this desire, breeders are encouraged to breed anything and everything for which there is a demand, because they know damned well some idiot will buy it, regardless of how big a jerk it happens to be. Meanwhile, mutts in animal shelters across the country are put down because nobody wants them.

I couldn't agree more! The very fact that there are so many of a certain types of dogs around, speaks to your point. In my situation, it happens to be Rottweillers. Some owners have no clue how to handle some dogs, and they have no desire to learn how to train them properly.

It's all a recipe for disaster.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 08:19 pm
Actually, osso, it doesn't matter where the meetings are held, because the rooms all look the same. In five days in Honolulu, I saw the inside of my hotel, the inside of the convention center, and the inside of the bus that ran back and forth between them. It almost could have been Detroit, for all I knew.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 08:19 pm
Actually, osso, it doesn't matter where the meetings are held, because the rooms all look the same. In five days in Honolulu, I saw the inside of my hotel, the inside of the convention center, and the inside of the bus that ran back and forth between them. It almost could have been Detroit, for all I knew.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 08:21 pm
Sigh, that's too bad... (I've never been to the islands, and now wouldn't mind going..)
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 12:57 pm
Don't worry, osso. We took a week after the conference to go to Kauai and then back to Oahu to spend three days with my uncle. I highly recommend Kauai - there are still country people there. The attitude is essentially rural, or I wouldn't be able to stand it. That's particularly true of the southwest part of the island. Go there sometime soon, before the tourists take over!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 04:59 pm
Thank goodness for this thread

I'd noted it when it started as it was the night after my two dogs were chased by two larger dogs - 1 pit cross and 1 shepherd cross. I was awfully scared, and felt I wasn't really rational enough to post much about the incident at that time.

Now they've attacked and badly injured a wonderful little Sheltie on our street.

I was trying to remember the date the big dogs burst through a screen window and chased us. Then I remembered this thread.

It may not save Buddy, but it will hopefully mean that Miss Kay won't have to face the vet bills.

A couple of us are going to go talk to the owner of the big dogs tonight.

Without our dogs, of course.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:45 pm
I was just involved with a case on Monday involving 2 dogs that attacked 2 children walking to their neighborhood pool. Of course they were Pit Bulls.

The kids were just walking by when these two pit bulls attacked them. The little girl needed 50 stiches in her lip. Luckily her older brother was there to distract them, and he received a bite in his leg. By then the owner came out and called his dogs off, otherwise their injuries would have been much worse.

These dogs will be put down. Dangerous breed, I tell you.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:47 pm
Dangerous owner, more likely.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:48 pm
There's a deaf toddler living between our local attack dogs and the little dog that got attacked. That's a factor in our concern. We're trying to figure out right now whether we're supposed to report this to bylaw enforcement or the police.

Something's going to change at that house. Soon.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:51 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Dangerous owner, more likely.

Well, the owner tried to blame the older brother, saying when he picked up his sister and spun her away from the dogs, that only got the dogs excited.

Rolling Eyes

I say again, nearly everytime I hear about a dog bite, it involves a Pit Bull.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:53 pm
Some defense. Like saying....he broke his arm when he fell to the ground to avoid my punch to his face. You know what I mean. :-o
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:59 pm
ehBeth wrote:
There's a deaf toddler living between our local attack dogs and the little dog that got attacked. That's a factor in our concern. We're trying to figure out right now whether we're supposed to report this to bylaw enforcement or the police.

Something's going to change at that house. Soon.

Both our city and county local regulations have a provision for an administrative hearing upon probable cause to determine whether a particular dog is a "dangerous dog." If found to be "dangerous," they might require better kenneling, higher insurance, signs announcing that a "dangerous dog lives here," etc. You might check into whether this is available where you're at.

You should certainly report the incident to your animal control folks, whoever those are. If unsure, start with the police, and they can direct you to the right agency. There is probably a "bylaw" (see what I learned on A2K) against dogs attacking persons or animals. They can issue a citation against the dog owner for the recent attack. This is different from the "dangerous dog," proceeding, so you might still check into that.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:04 pm
A couple of us are divvying this up for tomorrow - one will call our city rep, another will call the police, I'm calling bylaw enforcement - and someone else is calling a ................. lawyer. :wink:

The pit cross will be comparatively easy to deal with. The shepherd cross will be more of a problem, but we will get this dealt with. Buddy did nothing to provoke the two larger dogs and he is ripped up from his throat down into his chest toward his belly. Poor lil dog.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:08 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Buddy did nothing to provoke the two larger dogs and he is ripped up from his throat down into his chest toward his belly. Poor lil dog.

I'm sorry to hear about the dog's terrible injuries. These type of dogs can cause such damage so quickly. It's hard not to get panicked when these attacks occur.

When I was attacked last February by a Rottweiler, it was so swift that I hardly had time to react. Imagine my horror when a Pitbull followed the other out of the yard.

I hope you get satisfaction from your incident. I believe various government agencies should still tighten up dog bylaws even more. Owners absolutely need to be held accountable for their dog's actions.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:10 pm
ehBeth wrote:
A couple of us are divvying this up for tomorrow - one will call our city rep, another will call the police, I'm calling bylaw enforcement - and someone else is calling a ................. lawyer. :wink:

The pit cross will be comparatively easy to deal with. The shepherd cross will be more of a problem, but we will get this dealt with. Buddy did nothing to provoke the two larger dogs and he is ripped up from his throat down into his chest toward his belly. Poor lil dog.

Ehbeth,
Since you got the bylaw part, I am providing the following information that may help you. This is from the Toronto bylaws.

Complaints for bylaw infractions (e.g., dog running at large, dog off leash, failure to stoop & scoop, etc.) may be reported during normal business hours by calling 416-338-PAWS (7297). If you have an immediate public safety concern involving an animal, Toronto Animal Services provides 24-hour emergency service. Our after-hours services can also be reached by calling 416-338-PAWS (7297).

What do I do if a dog has a pet (dog or cat)?
Report the dog bite to Toronto Animal Services during our normal business hours by calling 416-338-PAWS (7297).

349-11. Dogs running at large.
A. No owner of a dog shall cause or permit the dog to run at large in the City, except as permitted in those areas of City parks where dogs are permitted to run at large as designated by City by-law.
B. For the purposes of this chapter, a dog shall be deemed to be running at large when found in any place other than the premises of the owner of the dog and not under the control of any person.
C. No person shall keep a dog off the premises of the owner other than on a leash which shall not exceed two metres in length except where consent is given by the person owning the property where the dog is found.

349-14. Dogs that have bitten persons or animals; muzzles.
A. Where the Medical Officer of Health has reason to believe that a dog has bitten a person or domestic animal, the Medical Officer of Health shall:
(1) Where the bite is the first bite on record with the City, and where the bite occurred on the owner's premises, serve the owner with a notice of caution.
(2) Serve the owner with a notice to muzzle if in his or her opinion the bite
referred to in Subsection A(1) is severe.
(3) Where the bite is a second or subsequent bite on record with the City, serve the owner with a notice to muzzle.
B. Where the Medical Officer of Health has reason to believe that a dog has bitten a person or domestic animal in the City other than on the owner's premises, the Medical Officer of Health shall serve the owner with a notice to muzzle.

349-15. Notice of caution and notice to muzzle; hearing; microchip.A. An owner who is served with a notice of caution or a notice to muzzle is entitled to a hearing by the Medical Officer of Health who may confirm the notice or exempt the owner from the muzzling requirements.
B. To receive a hearing, the owner must mail or deliver to the Medical Officer of Health within 30 days after a copy of the notice of caution or notice to muzzle is served on the owner, notice in writing requesting a hearing.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:17 pm
Also, didn't Ontario just pass that new law to ban Pitbulls? Has it gone into effect?
0 Replies