Denver Bans Pit Bulls

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 10:37 am
He is a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, my treasure, but he goes into rabid dog mode fairly easily when he is in a territorially protective situation, such as in my car looking out the window. Most of that is directed at other dogs, who I figure he thinks of as wolves circling the pack (me). But not all: he isn't crazy about parkas or bicycles. Anyway, he doesn't go out my front door unleashed, leashed to a good halter.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 11:21 am
rhythm.synergy wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
I want an English Mastiff and will get one someday.

English Mastiff?

http://www.gotpetsonline.com/pictures-gallery/dog-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/mastiff-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/pictures/mastiff-0035.jpg

Oh yes, ossobuco. what type of dog do you have as your pic?

Yes! Look at that big beautiful baby!
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:06 pm
ossobuco wrote:
He is a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, my treasure, but he goes into rabid dog mode fairly easily when he is in a territorially protective situation, such as in my car looking out the window. Most of that is directed at other dogs, who I figure he thinks of as wolves circling the pack (me). But not all: he isn't crazy about parkas or bicycles. Anyway, he doesn't go out my front door unleashed, leashed to a good halter.

My goodness! I want one of these. Pembroke Welsh Cogi. *gag, I wonder how much they cost. Tight on a budget

http://mascotas-uy.com/perros/_derived/Pembroke%20Welsh%20Corgi.htm_txt_Pembro5.gif
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:17 pm
Any pure bred dog is going to run you $500 and up.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:26 pm
Nah, about $50. at the local humane society....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:27 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Nah, about $50. at the local humane society....

I think he was looking specifically for a Corgi. I just did a quick look at they are aroun $700 from a good breeder.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:28 pm
there are also some rescue places that you can get dogs at, if you pass their "lets make sure we don't send the animal back into an abusive home test" which i am sure we all would. my purebred was about $250 but he sure costs alot more than that after he ate a chocolate easter bunny a few years back...wow, emergency vet bills aren't cheap...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:37 pm
Actually, that was smartaleck of me. Mine was near free and he is purebred and terribly handsome, but that was, from my view, sheer luck. I'd've liked him anyway, pureboy or not.

However, I do know some other folks with corgis and some of them have searched far and wide to get one, and paid quite a bit when they did.

Rescue dogs are a possibility though, especially if you don't insist on a puppy.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:57 pm
ossobuco wrote:
A

Rescue dogs are a possibility though, especially if you don't insist on a puppy.

They are wonderful and almost always the most loyal and loving dogs.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 06:40 am
Great Danes are known to be extremely passive and friendly. Their weight alone causes a lot of injuries but in reports...

rottweilers, pit bulls, chows, pit bull mixes are known to be on the top of the list. ...so far to the top that the MIXES of any of the above breeds knock all other breeds further down the list. These and dobermans are the ones that apartment complexes and lists you will find for animals that bite are concerned about. ...due to their very long reputation. Someone just posted the website on another site of the list... so these ARE dogs on the top 10 list.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:03 am
Chows?

I love chows.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:24 am
Joahaeyo wrote:
Great Danes are known to be extremely passive and friendly. Their weight alone causes a lot of injuries but in reports...

rottweilers, pit bulls, chows, pit bull mixes are known to be on the top of the list. ...so far to the top that the MIXES of any of the above breeds knock all other breeds further down the list. These and dobermans are the ones that apartment complexes and lists you will find for animals that bite are concerned about. ...due to their very long reputation. Someone just posted the website on another site of the list... so these ARE dogs on the top 10 list.

my neighbors great dane got out of the yard and mauled a woman and her dog walking (on a leash) just a few weeks ago. the neighbors gave the dog to someone with 7 acres of fenced land and other great danes, but i dont find that very passive.

i thought about this last night as i watched animal cops on animal planet (yes i have no life). they were clearing out 3 pit bulls that were fight dogs. while i agree that these breeds maybe more likely to bite or attack, i still think

1. any dog can bite or attack (of couse not my pooch-he is the best and has never even growled at anyone except of course when we play, then he might nip a little Wink heehee)

2. our society and others have bred these dogs to be aggressive and trained them that way which i just can't blame on the dogs themselves. its all they know. what is sad is that everyone was afraid of my parent's rotty who slept in their bed at night and if anyone new came in all she wanted to do was lick them and get her belly rubbed. but people ran scared...

3. just because some of the dogs in that breed are bad, doesnt make it right to ban them all. i guarantee you could find a bad dog in any breed. chihauhas are known for their nasty attitudes but because they are so small and can't really do that much damage...no ban.

is it ok to stereotype which is basically what i feel has been done here.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:35 am
Sure it's stereotyping, or "profiling" if you will. I'm doing so based on my experiences with the breed. I am of the opinion that the nature of pit bulls is such that it is very likely that any given pit bull could snap, and attack at any time, with potentially lethal results. Is that stereotyping? Of course. Unfair? I don't think so. I think the breed is deserving of its reputation ... whether that is the fault of the owners or breeders is immaterial at this point, IMO.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 09:18 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Sure it's stereotyping, or "profiling" if you will. I'm doing so based on my experiences with the breed. I am of the opinion that the nature of pit bulls is such that it is very likely that any given pit bull could snap, and attack at any time, with potentially lethal results. Is that stereotyping? Of course. Unfair? I don't think so. I think the breed is deserving of its reputation ... whether that is the fault of the owners or breeders is immaterial at this point, IMO.

i don't think its in their nature, i think it seems that way because of the breeding/training. i think at one point, they were just powerful dogs and because of that they have evolved into this nasty dog. i agree who's fault it is may be immaterial, i just don't think banning all of them is the right answer. some are happy, sweet loving dogs and why disallow the owners who have those dogs the right to love them in return?

i guess it is the easiest way to maybe control the bad ones, but in my mind the bad ones are generally, and i say generally, the fighting dogs and that is illegal anyway so who's to say that actually banning is really going to do anything other than upset the people who actually have good pitbulls and are going to abide by the law? the people who are training them to be bad dogs, more than likely, aren't going to abide by the law.

i say, have harder penalties for those who create and breed these bad dogs. i mean, cmon you get one year in prison for tying your dog to a tree and leaving it for two weeks with no food and water so it just dies? and you get somewhere around 6 months for having a fighting dog, if you can prove its a fighting dog which means you have to catch them in the act-just having the ring with blood everywhere and tons of mangled dogs isn't enough evidence these days.

now i am not some hard core peta person (i wouldn't throw paint on someone with a fur coat), but i do believe that it is inhumane what some people do to their animals and they get a slap on the wrist with a $200 fine. i mean last night on tv they had someone who just left their puppy in their car (in summertime with no food or water) for over 48 hours until humane society showed up and removed it and they cant even prosecute because they cant prove the person knew the puppy was in the car...wtf? yet it had tags on with the puppy's owners info-and it was a puppy so it wasn't like it go out of the house and into the car on its own without the owner noticing...

oh i digress...i shouldn't get started...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 09:28 am
Well, whether its because of breeding or otherwise, I think they are "this nasty dog."

I relayed the story of my friend who had his nose bitten off by his brother's dog, and he'd known the dog since it was a puppy, and it hadn't been trained to be aggressive. <shrug> I just think they're dangerous.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 09:34 am
i agree some are dangerous. i guess my point is that banning them is just a bandaid to a gusher of an underlying problem, and is unfair to those owners who do have well behaved, sweet, loving pit bulls.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 05:07 pm
Look--

Retrivers, retrieve.

Herding dogs, herd.

Any number of bird dogs have an instinctive point.

Newfoundlands spend their summers rescuing happy swimmers.

Blood will out. Pit bulls were bred to fight other dogs--that's why the Staffordshire Terrier breed came into being.

I love my dog, dearly--but her contact with other dogs and with children is severely limited. I know she'll attack other dogs without provocation. I'm sure she's capable of attacking a child or any other innocent who invades what she considers Her Space.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 07:28 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Blood will out. Pit bulls were bred to fight other dogs--that's why the Staffordshire Terrier breed came into being.

According to the Staffordshire Terrier Club of America website:

Quote:
The American Staffordshire Terrier is not a new breed. Although it gained American Kennel Club registration and recognition in 1936, it has been developed since the early 1800's as a result of crosses between the bulldogs of that time and game terriers. One of the early and very famous AKC registered Staffs was Pete the Pup, (real name Lucenay's Peter), dog star of the original Our Gang comedies of the 1930's.

Although the early ancestors of this breed came from England, the development of the American Staffordshire Terrier is the story of a truly American breed. This type of dog was instrumental in the success of farmers and settlers who developed this country. They were used for general farm work, hunting wild pigs, bears, and other large game, guarding the homestead, and general companionship.

A number of the early ancestors were also developed for the "sport" of dog fighting. The extraordinary vitality of this breed is a direct result of breeding for successful fighting dogs. This now illegal activity is, unfortunately, more often cited as the early purpose of the dogs rather than the general farm work.

Although ancestors of the American Staffordshire were fighting dogs, the selective breeding since the 1930's has been away from the fighting heritage. The American Staffordshire Terrier of today is a companion and show dog, rather than a gladiator. Although more rarely used on the farm now, the talents that made him a good all purpose dog are still to be found in the breed.

LINK
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 07:44 pm
Tico--

I stand corrected.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:02 pm
Pit Bulls are meanass dogs by virtue of their genetics. But other breeds like Tosa Inu, Dogo Argentino, Fila Brasiliero, Perro de Presa Canario, Perro de Presa Mallorquin, and Ca de Bestiat are different breeds that are similarly meanass, unlike herd protecting dogs like Maremmas or Pyrenees, or Bouvier des Flandres, who are only mean to anything that is messing with their herd. The Pit Bulls and their ilk were developed for just one thing and the sweet dispositioned ones were killed by the breeders, who were after ring dogs.
Owning any one of the first group of dogs is like owning an alligator. No matter how you vouch for its unique personality, ITS A F**KIN alligator. One day when you least expect it, the damn dog will turn on you.
We have fcriends with a pitbull, they had it for 7 years from its puppyhood. It was alert, attentive, andapparently friendly. These people were apologists for "Its the owners who dont train the dog properly" line.
One day, last year, the dog took off and just killed 3 neighborhood cats and then ran after a kid on a bike. The kid wa already in a downhill mode so he outran the dog. These people had to destroy the dog by a local ordinance. Now they bought a Jack Russell, and have quit the pit bull championing.
Own an alligator, never sleep soundly.
0 Replies