Denver Bans Pit Bulls

Noddy24

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 04:27 pm
Pit bulls enjoy fighting. They were bred for fighting. Aggressive lines were encouraged and pacific dogs were culled.

They will protect--but not nurture.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 06:49 am
I just know that poodles have been known to attack. As well as Great Danes. In fact, I've heard more stories of Great Danes attacking and killing or injuring other dogs and humans around here than I have Pit bulls. So what does that say about Great Danes?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 06:53 am
I'm not sure. I've never heard of such a thing.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 06:56 am
There were actually two attacks in the last year right in my area. One was a great dane that attacked a Newfie. That dog had balls and had to be put down because it kept attacking other dogs. The other I can't remember the story but since I had wanted to get a great dane a few years back, I remember hearing about it and deciding that maybe I didn't want one.

Also, about 4 years ago, I was "attacked" (for lack of a better word here) by a great dane who found me in the way when he wanted to get to a yipping little dog behind me. He took off part of my ear with his teeth and left bruises all over my arm and shoulder because he jumped on me. Maybe he wasn't attacking me because of me but he sure didn't care I was there and he hurt me.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 06:58 am
200 pounds of dog lunging at you with teeth bared is pretty scary.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 07:00 am
Dog Bites

I found this really interesting.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 07:29 am
I have Dalmations. They have a reputation for being sweet and goofy but they are fiercly protective and quite suspicious and can be very agressive to anyone outside their immediate pack.

I remember reading once that the post office ranked them as the "most likely to bite" breed and I believe it. Our dogs require a very firm hand.

EVERYBODY wants to pet them. Kids especially. (Thanks Walt Disney.) Now that my dogs are getting old and very cranky I warn people off.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 08:20 am
And I keep an eagle eye on Pacco the corgi..
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 08:57 am
Your dog is so cute...every time I see your avatar I smile.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:10 am
It's true, he is touchingly cute, my little beefball.
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:44 am
Awww.. I want a dog. But I'm still in university and dogs aren't allowed in dorms. Not a pitbull though. As i've said before, here in Toronto, you'd have to muzzle your pitbull if you wanna walk it on the sidewalk- too much work.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:55 am
I want an English Mastiff and will get one someday.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:55 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Dog Bites

I found this really interesting.

Here's a recent article out of San Francisco, indicating pit bulls have been involved in 27% of all dog bites there since 2003 .... LINK

Quote:
"Anybody who has been in animal welfare understands there is a problem with pit bulls,'' said Kat Brown, deputy director of San Francisco's Animal Care and Control. "They can be very menacing and aggressive."

In all, the city logged more than 900 bites against people and other pets since 2003, including 626 traced to a specific dog. Of those, 169 bites were blamed on pit bulls. That's more than the number of bites by German shepherds (69), Labrador retrievers (58) and rottweilers (34) combined.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:59 am
That's true. You can't argue the numbers. But the reason behind the increased biting in Pit Bulls is breeding and ownership. People don't buy pit bulls for lounging around and playing frisbee with. They buy them to make them mean and use them for "guard and attack" dogs. Which is sad because they don't HAVE to be mean dogs.

You can make a German Shepard just as mean as a pit bull. They are just as dominant and strong willed as a pit bull.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 10:13 am
I don't deny other breeds can bite, or that breeding and training has a lot to do with how aggressive any dog is. But I am aware that pit bulls bite more frequently (at least of those bites that are reported) than any other single breed, and when they bite they clamp down and cause more damage than most other breeds. It is certainly the most common breed that causes the type of damage that it does -- other dogs can bit as aggressively, but aren't as big a problem. I personally view them as ticking time bombs.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 10:13 am
I just can't agree. I think that any dog who isn't properly socialized and trained is a ticking time bomb. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 10:19 am
Bella Dea wrote:
But the reason behind the increased biting in Pit Bulls is breeding and ownership. People don't buy pit bulls for lounging around and playing frisbee with. They buy them to make them mean and use them for "guard and attack" dogs. Which is sad because they don't HAVE to be mean dogs.

i have to agree bella. i think we humans are to blame for making pitbulls into what they are. especially since they are not creatures capable of true understanding. i watched a woman smile while her pit bull mauled a boxer (the noise out of that boxer was the worst thing i have ever heard). it took 4 rather large men with one of them literally punching the pit in the face and another spraying water in its nose to get it to let go. when it was all said and done, the pit's owner who didn't even raise a finger to help said to her dog, "who's the good boy that wouldn't let go? who's mommy's good boy?"

so tell me, who's fault is that?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 10:23 am
I think a huge percentage of all dogs are ticking time bombs but some are more so than others, by a good margin.

The SF Chronicle has had a lot of articles about all this in the last few years; much discussion going on about it in that city.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 10:26 am
Bella Dea wrote:
I just can't agree. I think that any dog who isn't properly socialized and trained is a ticking time bomb. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

We shall.

And while I agree that a schnauzer or collie can be a ticking time bomb, I'd feel much better walking by either of them than a pit bull.
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 10:29 am
Bella Dea wrote:
I want an English Mastiff and will get one someday.

English Mastiff?

http://www.gotpetsonline.com/pictures-gallery/dog-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/mastiff-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/pictures/mastiff-0035.jpg

Oh yes, ossobuco. what type of dog do you have as your pic?
0 Replies