What's Biden doing to help the environment?

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 02:56 am
Hello. What's Biden doing to help the environment? I was told that it was 170-something degrees in Siberia recently and that there are holes in the Siberian tundra now called pingos. There is methane, carbon dioxide, mercury and hydrogen sulfide gases escaping from the pingos. I was also told the Arctic is melting and that the Kara Sea is open. The person who told me all this said the Laptev Sea is next.

According to this the ozone layer is healing:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/ny-news-earth-ozone-layer-healing-20181105-story.html

Biden is helping the Japanese government contain the radiation that seeped into Japanese waters:

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2021/05/17/national/diplomacy/Fukushima-radioactive-water-KoreaJapan/20210517160200538.html

Fracking is still an issue:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsandler/2021/01/21/did-biden-break-campaign-promise-on-fracking-no-heres-why/?sh=4188148175a2

Is there anything Biden can do to contain the pingos in the Siberian tundra and fix what's wrong with the Arctic?

I am curious. Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,540 • Replies: 24
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 06:02 am
@JGoldman10,
post Pleistocene settlement and defrosting has been going on for centuries, but it is now been speeded up to hypredrive due to human induced global warming. Many coastal regions in the high arctic can potentially los 00;s of miles inland ue to post glacial consolidiation of these pingos. All we can do now is photograph the events and try to convince the planet that were in trouble
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 06:04 am
@JGoldman10,
biden has redirected several key plump exec orders, little steps cause hes trying to make his exec orders idiot-proof
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 06:19 am
I found this link of interest:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2021/climate-environment/biden-climate-environment-actions/

0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 06:21 am
@farmerman,
I was told elsewhere:

"Biden reversed a lot of the Trump era policies that weakened environmental regulation for the few, and he, along with Democrats, are hoping to pass a 2nd infrastructure bill that reduces reliance on fossil fuels, after Republicans nixed it in the first bill - though this bill may be even more of a long shot than the first, given fierce opposition by Republicans on it."
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 01:22 pm
JGoldman10 wrote:
Biden is helping the Japanese government contain the radiation that seeped into Japanese waters:

The radioactive heavy water is not “seeping”. It is being directly discharged into the ocean.

There isn’t any effort to contain it. What Mr. Biden is doing is helping Japan cope with the international backlash.
farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 04:01 pm
@oralloy,
you should do some more reading and try to understand that there is a colpesx system involving migration of contaminants like the more non conservatives like I131 and Cs 137 and the ripping GW migration of conservative ions like Tritiated water. the tritium half lives may be rapid but TEPCO has spent a blooy fortun tring to surround and capture ground water ontamination before it rises and joins the surface water flow. TEPCO has installed recovery station and an "Ice wall" to corral contaminated ground water.

Its not as simpl as you make it sound
oralloy

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 04:49 pm
@farmerman,
Are they or are they not dumping radioactive heavy water directly into the ocean?
farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 04:52 pm
@oralloy,
they are rounding it up from the ground water via topographic control of head pressure. Theyve got a wall of frozen sediment acting as a cattle chute and the collected water is treate mostly vial serpentine holding so they can get at least 3 half lives f Tritium, As far as Csium an Iodine they used adsorbents and GAC. They dont just "dump it into the Pacific" . The japanese have tried to be somewhat better stewards than us, they do act a bit reckless in siting criteria but theyve xhosen to live atop and island that moves wrt 2 plate boundaries.
oralloy

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 05:36 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
they are rounding it up from the ground water via topographic control of head pressure.

And what are they doing with the radioactive heavy water once they've rounded it up?

Dumping it directly into the ocean maybe?

farmerman wrote:
Theyve got a wall of frozen sediment acting as a cattle chute and the collected water is treate mostly vial serpentine holding so they can get at least 3 half lives f Tritium,

Three half lives of tritium would be 37 years. They don't seem to be waiting 37 years before dumping it into the ocean.

Not that I agree that it will be even remotely safe to dump it in the ocean after 37 years. Let's give it about 200 years.

farmerman wrote:
They dont just "dump it into the Pacific".

"Japan will release more than 1 million tonnes of contaminated water from the destroyed Fukushima nuclear plant into the sea, the government said on Tuesday, a move China called 'extremely irresponsible', while South Korea summoned Tokyo's ambassador in Seoul to protest."

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/japan-says-release-contaminated-fukushima-water-into-sea-2021-04-12/

"Japan's government announced a decision to begin dumping more than a million tons of treated but still radioactive wastewater from the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant into the Pacific Ocean in two years."

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/13/986695494/japan-to-dump-wastewater-from-wrecked-fukushima-nuclear-plant-into-pacific-ocean
farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 09:31 pm
@oralloy,
they are collecting gw from a boundary zone with a K of 10-6 cm/sec its about severl 100's of thousands of litres this cam be treated by henry methods . the iodine and cesium are the problems but they will be adsorbed by aluminum and gac.

tritiated water is taken up by goldenrod bio reclamation groves. The amount of Tritiated water will be equivalent to about the reactor leakage of 0.10 of a Soviet era sunken sub in the Aaral Sea. much of all this is trade-offs in the cleanups. henry's law predicts that a greater amt of rad will be released as a toxicant via an air pathway than intercepting ground waters and surface waters, adsorbants or the non conservatives and incorporate as chlorophyll for the conservatives till we get the necessary decline via half life.

in all cases, adsorbants will get about 80
% and bioreclamation something less

oralloy

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2021 12:18 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
tritiated water is taken up by goldenrod bio reclamation groves.

And then dumped into the ocean.

farmerman wrote:
The amount of Tritiated water will be equivalent to about the reactor leakage of 0.10 of a Soviet era sunken sub in the Aaral Sea.

Is that supposed to make poisoning the ocean ok?

farmerman wrote:
much of all this is trade-offs in the cleanups.

I oppose this trade off.
farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2021 03:57 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

And then dumped into the ocean.

no, its usually composted in sealed german design facilities that allow rad decay till its 10-7 from {2H} @ t(O). the tech has moved far since three mi island and chernobyl.
oralloy

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2021 03:59 pm
@farmerman,
Again:

"Japan will release more than 1 million tonnes of contaminated water from the destroyed Fukushima nuclear plant into the sea, the government said on Tuesday, a move China called 'extremely irresponsible', while South Korea summoned Tokyo's ambassador in Seoul to protest."

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/japan-says-release-contaminated-fukushima-water-into-sea-2021-04-12/

"Japan's government announced a decision to begin dumping more than a million tons of treated but still radioactive wastewater from the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant into the Pacific Ocean in two years."

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/13/986695494/japan-to-dump-wastewater-from-wrecked-fukushima-nuclear-plant-into-pacific-ocean
farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2021 04:07 pm
@oralloy,
it rains, whats yer point.
oralloy

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2021 04:34 pm
@farmerman,
My point is that dumping all of the radioactive heavy water into the ocean is not good.
farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2021 09:12 pm
@oralloy,
why didnt you start off with that. At Fukushima daiichi there is a lot of surface water that flows INTO the facility (An inch of rain is over 25K gal per acre). Thi influent water will be controlled by an ice kral for GW and using berms snd channels. The surface water is being treated for the hvier Non conservative radionuclides as I said before. Their adsorption coefficients allow them to be "Stuck to the surface of adsorbents like GAC and Powdered Al). The adsowbents are holding the radionuclides till they are periodically desorbed. The water i as clen as it can get for now, And, I believe that the plans for more effective control mens are being "blue printe"
As I understand then, the Tritiated wter is taken up a s bio mass and the biomass is composted thus allowing several half lives of remediation within soil that is underlain by a 10_7 cm/sec composite liner.
Water that is kept from touching the plant property itself is allowed to runnoff with only monitoring at this point.

All I know is what Ive gleaned from a remediation Conf two years ago that was specific to nuclear accidents. Yeh water is going to the Pacific but it int like its being ignored as far as rad concentrations and activities. I understand they were looking at allowing water to discharge at Darcy Velocities into the nearby subduction zone. They wre looking at doing something like that in Calif for Organic chemical contaminants
oralloy

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 02:00 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
why didnt you start off with that.

I did.

farmerman wrote:
As I understand then, the Tritiated wter is taken up as bio mass and the biomass is composted thus allowing several half lives of remediation within soil that is underlain by a 10_7 cm/sec composite liner.

No. The plan is to dump all the tritiated water into the ocean.
farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 06:46 pm
@oralloy,
The remediation program is a multi step thing. Youve gotta stop reading tabloids like they are engineering plans.
oralloy

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 06:54 pm
@farmerman,
It's the step where they dump all of the tritiated water into the ocean that I most object to.
0 Replies