How should I bridge this conversation with my wife about her parent's house?

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 03:46 pm
My wife and I have a fairly clean house. We try to keep any bug problem down to to a minimum but we can't keep 100% of the bugs out. Well, her parents aren't quite that way. We'll be over to their house and roaches will be crawling all up the walls, across the tv, and furniture and they sit there like it's no problem. Several months ago one of their TVs stopped working and I brought it home to see if I could possibly fix it. I didn't think at the time so I threw the TV in the back of my SUV and drove home. The next day I was about to make a run and there was a big roach crawling across my passenger seat. We then had a bug problem in our house until we got an exterminator to come out a few weeks ago. Well, today my wife told me that her parents are getting a new deep freezer and wanted to know if we wanted their old one. We already have one that I got when we cleaned out my grandmother's house when she passed and it's been working fine ever since. Why we need 2 deep freezers, I don't know. But my wife felt obligated to take it from her mom. So now my wife wants me to go pick up their old deep freezer and bring it to our house. I would rather not put that in the back of my SUV which is a nice Lincoln Navigator to have another bug problem inside my truck. How do I bridge the conversation with her and say we can take it but we're going to rent a small U-Haul truck to bring it to our house and it's going to sit outside until I can thoroughly clean and sanitize it? Should I just be straight forward with her and tell her I would rather not have roaches in my SUV again nor inside our house? Again, we already have one so we've gotta figure out where to put this one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 762 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Mame

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 03:53 pm
Yes, I think you should be straightforward with her. Roaches are disgusting. I wouldn't even go over to their place after the first time if they have taken up residence. And as far as the freezer goes, why not give it to someone that needs it... with a warning, of course.
Pwebster

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 04:03 pm
@Mame,
That was my question to my wife. Why do we need a 2nd deep freezer? I guess she doesn't want her parents to have to just throw it away. My wife's sister has 4 kids and could probably use the deep freezer. The only thing is I'm the only one with an SUV big enough to haul it and plus my SIL lives on the 3rd floor.
Mame

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 09:00 pm
@Pwebster,
You could always put it on Craig's List or Kijiji or offer it for free. I think many people would come and get it and it would save you a lot of work.

I think your in-laws just don't want to pay to haul it away Smile.... But if you do this, you're stuck with it. Someone could use it more than you. They can get some buddies to come and get it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2021 08:48 am
@Pwebster,
Pwebster wrote:

That was my question to my wife. Why do we need a 2nd deep freezer? I guess she doesn't want her parents to have to just throw it away. My wife's sister has 4 kids and could probably use the deep freezer. The only thing is I'm the only one with an SUV big enough to haul it and plus my SIL lives on the 3rd floor.

Why wouldn't you simply point out what happened before? No judgement or anything just the facts. Simply say you are concerned if you take the freezer you will have a roach problem like what happened when you took the TV.

Just state the facts.
0 Replies