American citizen lashes out against Canada

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 01:55 pm
Canada is that place north of the US that owns most of the fresh water of the world. Americans would be smart to keep them as friends. Wink
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 02:11 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Canada is that place north of the US that owns most of the fresh water of the world. Americans would be smart to keep them as friends. Wink

Sure... I'm too old for all that north pole, Santa Claus, elves, and Canada stuff.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 12:28 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:

and don't forget moosehead and b.c.bud, ci. that goes a long way towards redressing the issue of mahogany rush and triumph. Laughing
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 08:14 am
http://runn.smugmug.com/photos/11908666-M.jpg
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:03 am
JustWonders wrote:
http://runn.smugmug.com/photos/11908666-M.jpg

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 11:15 pm
EAT YOUR HEART OUT WORLD.......

SO, WHAT DO CANADIANS HAVE TO BE PROUD OF?

1. Smarties

2. Crispy Crunch, Coffee Crisp

3. The size of our footballs fields and one less down

4. Baseball is Canadian

5. Lacrosse is Canadian

6. Hockey is Canadian

7. Basketball is Canadian

8. Apple pie is Canadian

9. Mr. Dress-up kicks Mr. Rogers ass

10. Tim Hortons kicks Krispy Kreme's ass

11. In the war of 1812, started by America, Canadians pushed the Americans back...past their 'White House'. Then we burned it...and most of Washington, under the command of William Lyon MaKenzie King who was insane and hammered all the time. We got bored because they ran away, so we came home and partied...Go figure..

12. Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered to Germany.

13. We have the largest English population that never ever surrendered or withdrew during any war to anyone. anywhere. EVER.

14. Our civil war was fought in a bar and it lasted a little over an hour.

15. The only person who was arrested in our civil war was an American mercenary, who slept in and missed the whole thing... but showed up just in time to get caught.

16. We knew plaid was cool far before Seattle caught on.

17. The Hudsons Bay Company once owned over 10% of the earth's surface and is still around as the worlds oldest company.

18. The average dog sled team can kill and devour a full grown human in under 3 minutes.

19. We still know what to do with all the parts of a buffalo.

20. We don't marry our kin-folk.

21. We invented ski-doos, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, insulin, penicillin, zambonis, the telephone and short wave radios that save countless lives each year.

22. We ALL have frozen our tongues to something metal and lived to tell about it.

23. A Canadian invented Superman.

24. We have coloured money.

25. Our beer advertisments kick ass

BUT MOST IMPORTANT!

24. The handles on our beer cases are big enough to fit your hands with mitts on. OOOoohhhhh Canada!!

oh yeah... and our elections only take one day.

Pass this on if you are proud to be Canadian!!!

I AM CANADIAN!!!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:53 am
englishmajor wrote:
EAT YOUR HEART OUT WORLD.......

SO, WHAT DO CANADIANS HAVE TO BE PROUD OF?

1. Smarties

Well damn! I love Smarties.

2. Crispy Crunch, Coffee Crisp

Must be a Canuk thing

3. The size of our footballs fields and one less down

Sorry this just doesn't cut it.

4. Baseball is Canadian

Yeah right. Perhaps there is some evidence that the antecedants of Baseball can be found within the sporting of Indian tribes north of the border between the US and Canada, but this hardly qualifies baseball as being Canadian.

5. Lacrosse is Canadian

Ditto

6. Hockey is Canadian

Yes, and God bless Canada for hockey, even though Americans are slowly but surely absorbing Canada's national sport.

7. Basketball is Canadian

Balderdash!

8. Apple pie is Canadian

OK --- BFD

9. Mr. Dress-up kicks Mr. Rogers ass

I have no idea who "Mr Dess-up" is but it is no great feat to kick the ass of Mr Rogers (Hell, a puppet could do it), and I'm not sure I would be so proud to claim a "Mr Dress-up" as an icon for Canadian children. What did he teach them? Cross dressing is A-OK?

10. Tim Hortons kicks Krispy Kreme's ass

Now this is just silly.

I've et them both and there is no comparison. You make the mistake of endorsing Tim Horton's over KKs because you have never had fresh from the oven KK.

11. In the war of 1812, started by America, Canadians pushed the Americans back...past their 'White House'. Then we burned it...and most of Washington, under the command of William Lyon MaKenzie King who was insane and hammered all the time. We got bored because they ran away, so we came home and partied...Go figure..

Sorry, but you weren't Canadians then.

12. Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered to Germany.

Of course they never faced a German.

13. We have the largest English population that never ever surrendered or withdrew during any war to anyone. anywhere. EVER.

See, I always knew those Canucks were militant bad-asses

14. Our civil war was fought in a bar and it lasted a little over an hour.

I knew there was at least one reason why I might consider Canada superior to the US.

15. The only person who was arrested in our civil war was an American mercenary, who slept in and missed the whole thing... but showed up just in time to get caught.

See what happens when Americans go to Canada? Their rugged individualism is sucked out of their pores.

16. We knew plaid was cool far before Seattle caught on.

But you haven't realized it is no longer cool.

17. The Hudsons Bay Company once owned over 10% of the earth's surface and is still around as the worlds oldest company.

But let's face it, they were English, not Canadian, at the time.

18. The average dog sled team can kill and devour a full grown human in under 3 minutes.

I doubt this dynamic depends on nationality, but if it's a bad-ass war you want, the average American "gang-banger" can kill and feed the remain of a full grown human to his Rottweilers in under 2 minutes.

19. We still know what to do with all the parts of a buffalo.

Especially the vagina and sphincter.

20. We don't marry our kin-folk.

Just love em and leave em huh? At least our in-breds have a family name.

21. We invented ski-doos, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, insulin, penicillin, zambonis, the telephone and short wave radios that save countless lives each year.

Ski-doos and jet-skis -- is there really a difference, and do they really save countable, let alone countless, lives? Velcro, zippers and zambonis...now there are contributions to humanity.

Sorry, you didn't invent the telephone, and so I have to question the veracity of your claim concerning insulin, penicillin and even short wave radios (yes they save lives by the thousands!)

22. We ALL have frozen our tongues to something metal and lived to tell about it.

You got me! This is truly a Canadian talent.

23. A Canadian invented Superman.

But Superman was an American, not a Canadian.

24. We have coloured money.

So do we, but we don't have any we call a Toobie.

25. Our beer advertisments kick ass

So do ours, but then I guess you can't bring yourself to watching our Super Bowl.

BUT MOST IMPORTANT!

24. The handles on our beer cases are big enough to fit your hands with mitts on. OOOoohhhhh Canada!!

Can't beat that one

oh yeah... and our elections only take one day.

Which is to expected when only 1,351 English Canuks vote and 1,352 French Canucks vote.

Pass this on if you are proud to be Canadian!!!

No can do, for so many reasons.

I AM CANADIAN!!!

Now if you truly parade around in fish-net tights with a keister upon which one might set a tray, then I have to say this is your best argument for the wonders of Canada.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 03:00 am
A Candian invented basketball. His name was Dr James Naismith. True, he invented it in Springfield, Massachusetts at the local YMCA. It's all there at the Basketball Hall of Fame.

Now about Canadian beer. Yesssssssssssss.....American beer...sorry...it doesn't cut it.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:46 pm
ohmagawd ! finn actually made me laugh !!!!

finn, there is one, teeny, nit to be picked with your post. regarding the founding of the hudson bay company. i mention it only because i was wrong in my thinking that hbc was started by the dutch. why ? hell, i dunno...

anyway, it turns out that although hbc was a brit backed enterprise, it's founders were french.

hbc heritage/history/overview

------------

TO englishmajor.

to honest, true, most american beers pale next to brews made by the rest of the world community. beer is one area where i usually prefer imports from germany, england, jamaica, holland, mexico and yes, canada.

but, when i'm feelin' nostalgic for my highschool days, there are a few american beers that are fairly good;

pabst blue ribbon - hasn't changed much and tastes the same on both coasts. best in the bottle (like most do).

rolling rock - from the glass lined tanks of old latrobe. what else do ya need to know ??

little kings - technically a creme ale. but, damn it's tasty ! the only hops tea of ever come across with a "spicy" finish. comes in those snazzy l'il bottles too.

stroh's - ahhhh, my first beer. this one tastes just great when sampled in the region of it's birth. when it was brought into the market here on the west coast, it failed miserably. and for good reason, it was brewed and bottled in van nuys. the water does make all the difference.

berghoff - years ago, we were getting this at trader joe's here. it's brewed in wisconsin as i remember. hence, it is a rich, full flavored beer that echoes it's deutscher roots. the berghoff bock is one of the best i've ever tasted. sadly, we can't get it here anymore... Crying or Very sad

gordon biersch - the "marzen" kills. my german buddies swear that it's the american made bier that is closest to what they prefer back in good old g. for those with a trader joe's, the "t.j.'s" vienna, bock, and bohemian beers are in fact.... gordon biersch. at a buck or so less per sixer. yippee !

samual adams - on tap, it ain't too shabby.

mcsorley's - one of my fondest memories of living in nyc in the early eighties, is of trudging downtown, whereupon my "streetwise" pardner scored, from a street vendor, a joint of the finest pencil shavings i've ever had the pleasure to put spark to.

he redeemed himself, later that night, by then introducing me to mcsorley's pub. THE ALE ! jeez, there's a reason the place has been around for so long. it had the hand crafted qualities without that "it ain't done yet" micro brew yeasty, yuckiness. YUMM !

miller highlife - is it great beer ? umm, dunno. is it tasty ? yup, shore is.

there's a few other regional beers that i've heard tell of, but have never sampled, that folks say are pretty great. i'll leave it to them to proclaim the virtues of those gems of the brewing art.

okay. is it 5:00 yet ? surely it must be, somewhere. Laughing
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:48 pm
what about Tom Greene?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:09 pm
On the beer - I was only drawing fire Very Happy

I still like Miller Hi-Life (the champagne of beers!) but I love Moosehead (and Canadian) :wink:
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:23 pm
goodfielder wrote:
On the beer - I was only drawing fire Very Happy

I still like Miller Hi-Life (the champagne of beers!) but I love Moosehead (and Canadian) :wink:

sorry mate ! i forgot the "fastah's lagah" !!!! good stuff, and comes in the economical 50 gallon drum. Laughing

there's another aussie beer that i liked better, but can't remember the name of... it comes in a foster's sized tube, but is gold with red text.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:21 pm
Gold with red text....

This one? KB Lager
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:33 pm
Hey, here's a dizzying list of stuff Canucks have invented. I'm sure all you non Canucks are just dying to know. Eat your heart out again, Finn! BTW Finn - basketball WAS invented by a Canadian, Dr. James Naismith who was a Canuck living in Springfield, MA. (Basketball Hall of Fame).

Made In Canada - Canadian Inventors and Inventions
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Mary Bellis
The history of invention in Canada has followed a long and noble path. Canadian inventors have patented more than one million inventions, yet few people can name more than one or two Canadian inventors or any Canadian accomplishments.

"Our innovators have given novelty, variety, and colour to our lives with their great practical gifts, and the world would be an exceedingly boring and grey place without their vitality." - author Roy Mayer from his book Inventing Canada
Canadian Inventions
Only a small percentage of the great inventions invented by Canadian inventors are listed below.
5 Pin Bowling ...a truly Canadian sport invented by T.E. Ryan of Toronto in 1909

Able Walker ...the walker was patented by Norm Rolston in 1986

Access Bar ...patented food bar designed to help burn fat by Dr Larry Wang

Air-Conditioned Railway Coach ...invented by Henry Ruttan in 1858

Abdominizer ...the infomercial exercise darling invented by Dennis Colonello in 1984

AC Radio Tube ..invented by Edward Samuels Rogers in 1925

Acetylene ...Thomas L. Wilson invented the production process in 1892

Acetylene Buoy ...invented by Thomas L. Wilson in 1904

Agrifoam Crop Cold Protector ...co-invented in 1967 by D. Siminovitch & J. W. Butler

Analytical Plotter ...a 3d map making system invented by Uno Vilho Helava in 1957

Andromonon ...a 3 wheeled vehicle invented in 1851 by Thomas Turnbull

Anti-Gravity Suit ...invented by Wilbur Rounding Franks in 1941, a suit for high altitude jet pilots

Automatic Foghorn ...the first steam foghorn was invented by Robert Foulis in 1859

Automatic Machinery Lubricator ...one of the many inventions invented by Elijah McCoy, the "Real McCoy"

Automatic Postal Sorter ...in 1957, Maurice Levy invented a postal sorter that could handle 200,000 letters an hour

Basketball ...invented by James Naismith in 1891

Bone Marrow Compatibility Test ...invented by Barbara Bain in 1960

Bromine ...a process to extract was invented by Herbert Henry Dow in 1890

Calcium Carbide ...in 1892, Thomas Leopold Willson invented a process for Calcium Carbide

Canada Dry Ginger Ale ...invented in 1907 by John A. McLaughlin

Chocolate Nut Bar ...Arthur Ganong made the first nickel bar in 1910

Computerized Braille ...invented by Roland Galarneau in 1972

Creed Telegraph System ..in 1900, Fredrick Creed invented a way to convert Morse Code to text

Compound Steam Engine ...invented by Benjamin Franklin Tibbetts in 1842

CPR Mannequin ...invented by Dianne Croteau in 1989.

Electric Car Heater ...Thomas Ahearn invented the first electric car heater in 1890

Electric Cooking Range ...Thomas Ahearn invented the first in 1882

Electric Light Bulb ...Henry Woodward invented the electric light bulb in 1874 and sold the patent to Thomas Edison

Electron Microscope ...Eli Franklin Burton, Cecil Hall, James Hillier, Albert Prebus co-invented the electron microscope in 1937

Electric Organ ...Morse Robb of Belleville, Ontario, patented the world's first electric organ in 1928

Electric Streetcar - Invented by John Joseph Wright in 1883

Fathometer ...An early form of sonar invented by Reginald A. Fessenden in 1919

Film Colourization ...invented by Wilson Markle in 1983

Garbage Bag ...(polyethylene) invented by Harry Wasylyk in 1950

Goalie Mask ...invented by Jaques Plante in 1960

Gramophone ...co-invented by Alexander Graham Bell & Emile Berliner in 1889

Green Ink ...currency or greenbacks ink invented by Thomas Sterry Hunt in 1862

Half-tone Engraving ...co-invented by Georges Edouard Desbarats & William Augustus Leggo in 1869

Heart Pacemaker ...invented by Dr. John A. Hopps in 1950

Hydrofoil Boats ...co-invented by Alexander Graham Bell, & Casey Baldwin in 1908

IMax Movie System ...co-invented in 1968 by Grahame Ferguson, Roman Kroitor and Robert Kerr

Instant Mashed Potatoes ...dehydrated potato flakes were invented by Edward A. Asselbergs, in 1962

Insulin Process ...Fredrick Banting, J. J. Macleod, Charles Best and Collip invented the process for insulin in 1922

JAVA ...a programming language invented by James Gosling in 1994

Jetliner ...the first jetliner was designed by James Floyd in 1949

Jolly Jumper ...a baby's delight invented by Olivia Poole in 1959

Kerosene ...invented by Doctor Abraham Gesner in 1846

Lawn Sprinkler ...another invention made by the Real McCoy

Light Bulb Leads ..leads made of nickel & iron alloy were invented by Reginald A. Fessenden in 1892

Marquis Wheat ...invented by Sir Charles E. Saunders in 1908

Mcintosh Apple ...invented by John McIntosh in 1796

Music Synthesizer ...invented by Hugh Le Caine in 1945

Newsprint ...invented by Charles Fenerty in 1838

Odometer ...invented by Samuel McKeen in 1854

Paint Roller ...invented by Norman Breakey of Toronto in 1940

Plexiglas ...(Polymerized Methyl Methacrylate) invented by William Chalmers in 1931

Polypump Liquid Dispenser ...Harold Humphrey made pumpable liquid hand soap possible in 1972

Portable Film Developing System ...invented by Arthur Williams McCurdy in 1890, but he foolishly sold the patent to George Eastman in 1903

Potato Digger ...invented by Alexander Anderson in 1856

Process to Extract Helium from Natural Gas ...invented by Sir John Cunningham McLennan in 1915

Prosthetic Hand ...an electric prosthetic invented by Helmut Lucas in 1971

Quartz Clock ...Warren Marrison developed the first quartz clock

R-Theta Navigation System ...invented by J.E.G. Wright in 1958

Radio-Transmitted Voice ...invented by Reginald A. Fessenden in 1904

Railway Car Brake ...invented by George B. Dorey in 1913

Railway Sleeper Car ...invented by Samuel Sharp in 1857

Robertson Screw ...invented by Peter L. Robertson in 1908

Rotary Blow Molding Machine ...this plastic bottle maker was invented by Gustave Côté in 1966

Rotary Railroad Snowplow ...invented by J.E. Elliott in 1869

Rubber Shoe Heels ...Elijah McCoy patented an important iimprovement to rubber heels in 1879

Safety Paint ...a high reflectivity paint invented by Neil Harpham in 1974

Screw Propeller ...a ship's propeller invented by John Patch in 1833

Silicon Chip Blood Analyzer ...invented by Imants Lauks in 1986

SlickLicker ...made for cleaning oil spills, patented by Richard Sewell in 1970

Snowblower ...invented by Arthur Sicard in 1925

Snowmobile ...invented by Joseph-Armand Bombardier in 1922

Standard Time ...invented by Sir Sanford Fleming in 1878

Stereo-orthography Map Making System ...invented by T.J. Blachut, Stanley Collins in 1965

Superphosphate Fertilizer ...invented by Thomas L. Wilson in 1896

Synthetic Sucrose ...invented by Dr. Raymond Lemieux in 1953

Television ...Reginald A. Fessenden patented a television system in 1927

Television Camera ...invented by F. C. P. Henroteau in 1934

Telephone ..invented by Alexander Graham Bell in 1876

Telephone Handset ...invented by Cyril Duquet in 1878

Tone-to-Pulse Converter ...invented by Michael Cowpland in 1974

Trivial Pursuit ...invented on December 15, 1979 by Chris Haney and Scott Abbott

Tuck-Away-Handle Beer Carton ...invented by Steve Pasjac in 1957

Undersea Telegraph Cable ...invented by Fredrick Newton Gisborne in 1857

UV-degradable Plastics ...invented by Dr. James Guillet in 1971

Variable Pitch Aircraft Propeller ...invented by Walter Rupert Turnbull in 1922

Walkie-Talkie ...invented by Donald L. Hings in 1942

Wireless Radio ...invented by Reginald A. Fessenden in 1900

Wirephoto ...Edward Samuels Rogers invented the first in 1925

Zipper ...invented by Gideon Sundback in 1913

Canadian Inventors
Are You A Canadian Inventor?
Are you a professional living in Canada? Do you have an idea you think may be a money maker and you don't know how to proceed? Use our resources for finding Canadian funding, innovation information, research money, grants, awards, venture capital, Canadian inventor support groups and the Canadian government patent offices.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sources:
Carleton University, Science Technology Centre
Canada Info
Canadian Patent Office
National Capitol Commission
artwork ©MaryBellis
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 11:54 am
goodfielder wrote:
Gold with red text....

This one? KB Lager

yes !! that's the one. good stuff, that.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 12:41 pm
Wow, that list almost equals the number of inventions of one single American, Edison. Way to go Canada!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 01:58 pm
englishmajor wrote:
BTW Finn - basketball WAS invented by a Canadian, Dr. James Naismith who was a Canuck living in Springfield, MA. (Basketball Hall of Fame).

Ahh ... that explains why he's the only University of Kansas head basketball coach to have a losing record.

:wink:
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 10:27 pm
Hey, Canucks have patented more than a million inventions (read above). I think that's great for a country with only 38 million people. (The same population of the state of California). Per capita, I'd say that amounts to a heck of a lot of resourceful folks. But then, we have to be to survive!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 10:50 pm
But California started the computer industry. Wink
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 11:08 pm
Yeah, I'm not so sure that's a good thing, when I hear somebody say 'the computers are down, we can't get that info for you' Laughing have computers really lessened the workload? But yes, you are correct, it began in California. My birthplace. Cool
0 Replies