Howcome the Arabs are bad guys?

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:00 pm
Hollywood has had a consistent record of Arab stereotyping and bashing. Some in the Arab American community call this the three B syndrome: Arabs in TV and movies are portrayed as either bombers, belly dancers, or billionaires. Thomas Edison made a short film in 1897 for his patented Kinetoscope in which "Arab" women with enticing clothes dance to seduce a male audience. The short clip was called Fatima Dances (Belly dancer stereotype). The trend has shifted over the years and was predominated by the "billionaires" for a short while especially during the oil crises in the seventies. However, in the last 30 some years, the predominant stereotype by far has been the "Arab bombers."

In G. I. Jane, Demi Moore plays a Navy SEAL officer who gains her stripes killing Arabs. In Operation Condor starring Jackie Chan, we have Arab villains and a money grubbing inn-keeper (no good Arabs). Another scene shows Arabs praying and then cuts to an auction where Chan's women companions are being auctioned.

The author Jack Shaheen has spent year investigating these trends and this is well-documented in his book The TV Arab. According to Shaheen over 21 major movies released in the last ten years show our military killing Arabs. This includes such "hits" as Iron Eagle, Death Before Dishonor, Navy SEALs, Patriot Games, the American President, Delta Force 3, Executive Decision, etc. Not since the heyday of the cowboys-killing-Indians streak of films have we had such an epidemic. New York columnist Russell Baker wrote "Arabs are the last people except Episcopalians whom Hollywood feels free to offend en masse."

It is very interesting that a lot of what we see as offensive is released by subsidiaries of Disney (a so called family value company run by Mike Eisner). It is not surprising then that Disney and Operation Condor received a "Dishonor Award" at this year's national convention of the American Arab Anti-discrimination Committee (ADC).

Some in the Arab community in the US believe that there is a widespread effort now to create the "Muslim terror" as the replacement enemy now that communism is not a threat. In other words, to justify our continued massive military and the billions of dollars we send to Israel every year, we need a demonstrable enemy who will not go away. Israel now emphasizes that this danger of terrorism is more serious than military threats from any country in the Middle East.

This is an ironic twist of events. We now minimize state-sponsored terrorism (such as that which Israel, Turkey, and other allies engage in) and portray the threat in terms of religious and ethnic groups. The Arab community in the US feels especially vulnerable because the energy and center of the Anti-Arab and anti-Muslim media movements are concentrated here. How else would we explain that the New York Times runs a cartoon with a bomb-wielding, mean-looking Arab and a caption that reads "Orthodox.. conservative...reform... what's the DIFFERENCE." Such cartoons have not been rare in Europe since the Nazi era. The harm is not only psychological (insult to a culture or a religion) but helps feed into actions that are physically harmful. Didn't we see this before, dehumanizing a group first before attacking it?

The double standards and hypocrisy of the media is everywhere. The Palestinians are the victims of mass expulsions, people who have lost their landthree million of themand who are now refugees in Diaspora, prevented from the universally accepted right of return. How is it that they are portrayed collectively as terrorists bent on killing Jews? Israel, the US, and Arab countries pursue terrorists aggressively when they are Arabs but we somehow let state terrorism off the hook.

Even individual criminal acts and terrorism done by others go unpunished. Over 12 years ago, a letter-bomb killed Alex Odeh, ADC regional director in California. Two suspects fled to Israel and the FBI has a reward, but no political pressure is applied on Israel to extradite them. Why couldn't we apply economic sanctions on Israel to comply with UN resolutions? Instead our politicians send Israel 3-5 billion a year of your tax dollars.

The Arab community in North America is vibrant and thriving but is in distress over these issues. We are doctors, business people, engineers, scientists, judges, humanitarians, advocates for human rights, and in short a productive segment of the fabric of this great society.

Western civilization would not have developed without the influence of the Arab civilization (just think of the bridge and continuity that the Arab civilization had between ancient European civilizations and the renaissance of western civilization after the "Dark Ages").
That was an article for some arab writer and i find most of it is true unfortuntally!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,613 • Replies: 57
No top replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:13 pm
It's just something that Hollywood does.

Like transplanting the location and Nationalities of characters in books and history to America just to suit the audience.

War of the Worlds: Used to be set in the UK but now America and features American heroes and a heroic American Army.

U-537(?): Was supposed to be about how British people captured the Enigma machine from the Nazis but was turned into a movie about how Americans captured the Enigma machine.

That's all the ones I can remember now.

Ignore Hollywood. Just ignore it.
0 Replies

Maximos1984

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:15 pm
Thanx
Thanx wolf ! i will!
0 Replies

Maximos1984

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:16 pm
That's my point which is there's a media war against arabs and Islam!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:21 pm
Hollywood stereotypes all people. Arabs included. With the recent idiots bombing all over the world, people start to get Bigot Vision. Meaning, each time they see an Arabic person, they automatically assume they must be a terrorist. It's sad but has little to do with Hollywood and more to do with the news coverage and the recent attacks, done by those who just happen to be of Middle Eastern descent.

Arabs are humans and some humans are bad. Some are good. I try very hard to judge the individual. Meaning, I won't think you are a bad person until you prove to me you are.
0 Replies

Maximos1984

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:26 pm
Thanx bella i'm glad that there's some people here understand me and US BASICLY!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:30 pm
Maximos1984 wrote:
Thanx bella i'm glad that there's some people here understand me and US BASICLY!

There are a lot of people that feel this way. I do feel very bad for Middle Easterns. It's like taking Germans and thinking they are all evil because of the Nazis. Or all white people are African American hating racists because of the KKK. Each group has it's blemish; the group of people who ruin it for everyone. The reason that it is Arabs now is because of the recent events. In 50 years (if we haven't all killed each other yet) it will be another group. Take heart...not every American hates all Arabic people. Just like I know that the average Arab doesn't hate me personally.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:40 pm
I agree, to an extent, Bella. The media, which includes Hollywood, radio, TV and newspapers, paint with an unrealistically and unfair broad brush, on many issues. IMO the vast majority of Arabs are like any other group.................they run the gamut from wonderful to terrible, with the vast majority being on the positive side of the spectrum.

There was one problem though, which I have only heard addressed in the last few days. When the terrorists were out doing their dirty work, why weren't good Arab people taking to the streets and protesting the lunatic fringe, that was giving Arabs a bad name? Why weren't the mullahs denouncing the terrorists from their pulpits?

There are two obvious possibilities. One is that moderate Arabs were fearful of their own safety, and thought that it was better for them to not make waves. The other was that they tacitly agreed with the aim of the terrorists. I think that in order for Arab people to regain credibility in the eyes of the world they need to become much more vocal in denouncing the terrorists.
0 Replies

Maximos1984

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:41 pm
Well Bella .. i appreciate your understanding and i assure no one here in Iraq hates an american for no reason except sychos cos they hate everybody! Laughing
thanx again
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:43 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:

There was one problem though, which I have only heard addressed in the last few days. When the terrorists were out doing their dirty work, why weren't good Arab people taking to the streets and protesting the lunatic fringe, that was giving Arabs a bad name? Why weren't the mullahs denouncing the terrorists from their pulpits?

I agree Phoenix. Perhaps Maximos can help us out here.
0 Replies

Maximos1984

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:47 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I agree, to an extent, Bella. The media, which includes Hollywood, radio, TV and newspapers, paint with an unrealistically and unfair broad brush, on many issues. IMO the vast majority of Arabs are like any other group.................they run the gamut from wonderful to terrible, with the vast majority being on the positive side of the spectrum.

There are two obvious possibilities. One is that moderate Arabs were fearful of their own safety, and thought that it was better for them to not make waves. The other was that they tacitly agreed with the aim of the terrorists. I think that in order for Arab people to regain credibility in the eyes of the world they need to become much more vocal in denouncing the terrorists.

thanx to u too ..
well most arab countries are not democratic .. so they can't protest or the whole crowd will be in jail besides that arabs have thier own problems like us Iraqis .. we're getting killed everyday .. does arabs kill each other??? that question is still confusing me!
btw our religon Islam states that a human should not kill any innocent life even it was an animal except for getting food! "not for fun"
so what's happenning in iraq now .. who the hell is behind all of this i personally don't know that yet .. it's a big game for them and we are just targets!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:49 pm
It is so sad that you have to live like that. It really makes me sad....
0 Replies

Maximos1984

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:51 pm
basicly the real arab world is just Iraq , Egypt , Lebanon , Palestine
Iraq and Palestine are in a deep s#!t
egyptians are go out for protesting many times but their government are not fair .. the police shot them with a real ammo!
lebanon have its own problem with Israel also!
the other countries are just cluless and they don't give a **** even for us Iraqis and we're suppose to be thier brothers!
0 Replies

Maximos1984

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:53 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
It is so sad that you have to live like that. It really makes me sad....

unfortuntally we have to bella! or we're dead .. and 'scuse my bad lang. i used in previous posts i'm just sad as u are!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 02:24 pm
Silence means approval?
Phoenix32890 wrote:

I used to agree with this sentiment, but now I don't. When someone claims their criminal actions are spawned by their Christian beliefs (say abortion clinic bombings), we do not demand that every preacher in every Christian country stand up and denounce the criminal actions done in the name of Christianity. When police are found to have used excessive force (Rodney King for example) we do not demand that every police chief around the country hold a press conference to declare those actions evil. I've thought about it some and I think we don't demand those things because we know that we have seen something aberrant. We don't need press conferences because we understand without being told that lunatics are abnormal and right thinking people do not approve of their actions. I would guess that we do not hear fatwas issued against terrorists because the leaders of the Muslim world don't see the need to state the obvious. For those of us who know little about the Muslim world, we feel silence is approval.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 02:38 pm
Very Happy Right on,Max! Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 02:43 pm
Re: Silence means approval?
engineer wrote:
I would guess that we do not hear fatwas issued against terrorists because the leaders of the Muslim world don't see the need to state the obvious. For those of us who know little about the Muslim world, we feel silence is approval.

True....however, in the wake of such devastation (in US, London and in Iraq, Iran, etc...), don't you think someone would stand up and just say Muslims do not condone killing in the name of Islam?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 03:20 pm
There seems to be two issues here, or maybe Maximos was using the Arabs in Hollywood topic to open up discussion on the issue he seems more interested in-- How Arabs are viewed in the world.

I think most everyone had it right re Arabs in Hollywood. Every group has been characterized and stereotyped in movies. I do think with the world's focus being on terrorism--and the fact that the main group responsible are Arab Muslims probably does/will find it's way into more movies. It's based on reality and that makes it more believable in movies. I probably wouldn't be able to extend much credibility to a movie about maurauding Buddhists. It COULD happen, but I wouldn't find it easy to believe. Arrange a movie around Arab (Muslim) terrorism, and you've already got the audience tied to something they lend great credibility to.

(I thought the Patriot Games was about Irish and Americans getting killed. I have completely forgotten an Arab part...)

Re the general Arab question that has come up here: I think the incredible focus on what this terrorism is all about has caused people to watch TV specials and documentaries on Islam--there is constant news about this virulent Imam or that madrassah or interviews with this London Arab or that Florida Arab who support or are alleged to support terrorism against the West.

I'm sure you can imagine how that makes people feel. Even someone who is careful to avoid stereotyping has to be very vigilant that they channel their anger in the right direction, and don't let it spill over on innocent Arabs. Imagine how those who aren't vigilant feel.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 04:47 am
Re: Silence means approval?
Bella Dea wrote:
True....however, in the wake of such devastation (in US, London and in Iraq, Iran, etc...), don't you think someone would stand up and just say Muslims do not condone killing in the name of Islam?

You're saying noone did? Who do you think would consider muslims denouncing terrorism newsworthy?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 06:31 am
I would.
0 Replies