Is Biden Insane or Just Evil?

Thu 29 Apr, 2021 03:08 am
So we listened to the first part of Biden's address before both my mom and I left the room. My dad was getting spellbound but finally shut it off when he realized he was all alone there.

He kept pitching the idea that technologically we need to keep up with China (no we don't, not unless you intend to sell tech to then, our country is a major agricultural exporter, or was, most of it doesn't care about being the most industrial nation, and you can't feed a country if you stop growing wheat and corn). Meanwhile, he said about agriculture that he would pay farmers to plant cover crops. I think it was part of his pitch for environment or maybe supporting businesses, or whatever. Most of this man's listeners couldn't tell you a spade from a shovel, so this term gets lost, so let me break it down for you.

A cover crop is something planted to cover the ground instead of being harvested. They are being paid to not grow food for a country with millions of people who need food. Or to grow things that could technically be used as food but not take them to market.

Yes, you could technically revitalize soil by planting say soy beans to nitrogen fix rather than to harvest. This does protect land from becoming dried out through repeated growth of nutrient-sapping vegetables to prevent desertification.

But farmers already address this problem by things like crop rotation. Typically the trend is to grow corn, wheat, and soybean. But all of these do get harvested. All of these do get sold, and nitrogen fixing happens regardless. There are also other ways of addressing the problem of sustainable crops. Adding nutrients back into the soil is the basic issue to continue growing year after year. On our farm, we compost, we mulch, and we get fertilizer from our neighbor who has horses. We also get natural fertilizer from rabbits I imagine (which we've fenced off because they're eating our peas, which may affect fertility in the future but anyway the peas themselves fix nitrogen). You can grow crops and still use them. Or you can grow them and be paid not to use them.

Sure, you get a paycheck. But it's a payout, not money that in turn enriches the country through trade and export. Our family only does farming for personal subsistence. But I could see through this. This is sabotage of natural resources. "Competing with China," huh? And how do you intend to do that, if now they're supplying all your food? Retrain farmers to have a degree in computer science? Great, why not give all that land to cities, because you've just bankrupted rural America.

Here's a better way to protect the environment. We watched a movie called Biggest Little Farm, where like one farm near LA had inherited from previous farmers, where the soil had basically gone dead from repeated conventional farming. They turned that around 180 by raising small animals (pigs, chickens, ducks, as well as allowing wild animals to come in) in addition to having many crops. Rather than monoculture, they solved the problem of soil fertility by creating an ecosystem. They had foxes and groundhogs as well as other wildlife, and their soil turned out really well because some of these animals turned the soil or scratched around nearby, others fertilized it, others kept other wildlife in check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXodrO6Ff-A

One of the problems that can be addressed to improve the environment is monoculture. We should grow many and varied crops, because bees need to be able to pollinate and feed themselves, and do best when it isn't corn corn corn all down the farm. This also helps employ more people as you need to do multiple harvests to account for each crop, and can't just just do the whole thing with a tractor in one day, reducing the oil usage on the farm as well. Cover crops? Code for not growing anything of value.

Cover cropping has its uses, but you can just as easily do this for 1/2 or 1/3 of your farm (effectively letting the wildlife help it out), and continue to at least make a profit. You could pay to have farmers avoid monoculture farming. But this, this is terrible.

hightor

Thu 29 Apr, 2021 04:10 am
@bulmabriefs144,
There are multiple uses for cover crops and all of them are good. Harvested fields planted to cover crops for overwintering lose less soil due to erosion over the winter.

Quote:
Typically the trend is to grow corn, wheat, and soybean. But all of these do get harvested. All of these do get sold, and nitrogen fixing happens regardless.

Neither corn nor wheat fix nitrogen.

Quote:
They turned that around 180 by raising small animals (pigs, chickens, ducks, as well as allowing wild animals to come in) in addition to having many crops.

Animals can play a huge part in the revitalization of agriculture and many of these small farms are ecologically balanced and self-sustaining. But it's the factory-farming of animals which raises environmental problems. It's hard to see how these successful small scale farming techniques can be employed on an industrial scale. (I say we break up the mega-farms and go back to offering freemen 40 acres and a mule.)

Quote:
Cover crops? Code for not growing anything of value.

Cover crops have great value. Just because they're not harvested and sold doesn't mean they're worthless.

0 Replies

longjon

Thu 29 Apr, 2021 04:14 am
Quote:
Is Biden Insane or Just Evil?

Yes.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 29 Apr, 2021 05:34 am
@bulmabriefs144,
When your mnaged acreage increases beyond a certain rea, use of income producing cover crops is an idea that' been in use here in the Appalachian and Vaand Ridge reas. We grow short cycle cover crops thhat can work and thrive within wet farm areas (areas where we always grown Birdsfoot trefoil. Ag sci hS been able to produce high protein specialty grasses for hay and silage, thus turning seasonal cycled acreage into cah producing land. We rely on several High N seasonal and wet area hays and legumes (Legumes are usually left in field for at least 3 years in their cycle).
So Biden is displaying his knowledge of farming here in the mid Atlantic (where excess water is often more a problem than drought)...

I was wondering what Trump could have said in a similar speeh (Without turning hi speech into a self aggrandizing love-fest).

Biden only ued "I" a few times in his speech last night, whereas Trump would have his minions believe that he controlled the sunrise.

If he;s evil, Ill live with it, since its far better than the alternative we'd recently"enjoyed"

0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 29 Apr, 2021 09:07 am
@bulmabriefs144,
He did NOT say that HE would pay farmers to grow covr crops. He said that we should follow a pathe where " Cover crops pay"

Ag reserch has found several hays that have very high Protein counts (23 +%) and many are wet land tolerant. Many of the cover crops grown hre are more straw producing grasses and only rye grass is usually baled as a food for bovines (They eat anything as log as they dont have to reach up).
Weve been growing wet field cover grasses that thrive in wet soils and get 5 cuttings a year. These serve the purpose of a legume (most of which, with the exception of trefoils) DONT tolerate wet soils, whereas high N orchard grasses an Timothies will fill in the time when cover crops are used only as "green manure".

I consider anything that either saves me or "Makes me money" as beneficial to my operating bottom line and P&L.
Ive been in the sheep business with some angus and Dexters almost 40 years. I think Biden got his information about making money via cover cropping from the Mid Atlantic farming practices where cover crops have yielded feed or pasture for decades . Lotsa pasture grass and legume research has gone on at Penn State, U of Md. Va Tech , U Del and many southern reserch schools .
Now even hemp and ketchup beets area "covercrops"

Mono cultures have usually all been disasters with ecosystem killing. I dont think that was what Biden was referring to.

Western (Nevada) hay farms grow alfalfa by stealing water and mismanaging interbasin water transfer. We pay about 5$ a50 lb bale of good stuff like Saranac AT, but growing as a center pivot desert hay, it sells for close to 20$ (In order to even make a profit and most of it goes overseas)

part of our
bulmabriefs144

Sun 16 May, 2021 06:14 am
@farmerman,
Cover crops DON'T pay though.

Cover crops are by definition, what you plant in order to either replenish the soil, or let it go fallow for a year. For example, growing soybean as a cover crop means that you not take it to market, but let it sit in your field because environment.
The only way cover crops pay is if you are (a) collecting money from the state to grow this way, or (b) calling them cover crops because you keep the plants in the field, but secretly pick them and sell them to small businesses for an under the table profit while also double dipping for government payouts.

Biden, or more precisely Biden's handlers since he is on record saying "I will get in trouble (if I answer too many questions)", is leaning towards the latter with his insistence that he knows best. Several state governments want to do away with mask mandates, including South Dakota and Tennessee. The CDC outright said that there isn't much of a risk for outdoor events. This week we had a farmer's market and the majority of the people were unmasked (for reference, last month, I was the only one unmasked). The Food Lion had dropped mask signage, and I saw maybe 20% unmasked. Biden? Expects the unvaccinated to wear masks forever. Good luck with that, these people don't respect your authority. And those who are vaccinated are still wearing masks.

Back to cover crops, lemme explain what is going on here. Biden wants to pay people in general not to work. And he wants to pay farmers not to grow. Like communism and fascism, this scatterbrained idea lasts until we all run out of food. There are 300 million people in America who all need three meals a day, seven days a week, 52 weeks a year. Using Fermi's method, this would be 300 million x 3 x 7 x 52. This is a lot of meals, and we can't have evil politicians paying people not to grow and not to work. Or do we want to be like Haiti, and in the name of "environmentalism" actually have people raid from forests and gardens, because there is nothing in the stores? Deforestation is a serious problem there. So are intestinal problems from some of the population literally eating mud cakes to survive.

Now, you may say anything that makes you money is fine, but if you're paid not to share it with the public, I would stop thinking about money and start thinking of morals. I've been marathoning One Piece. And Sanji's arc is particularly interesting. For a show about treasure, they pretty clearly point out that you can't eat money.
bulmabriefs144

Sun 16 May, 2021 06:32 am
@bulmabriefs144,
To continue this point, there is a legitimate purpose for growing something for cover crop. But it should be area you didn't have anything planned for, and at least half your farm should be usable crops.

For example:
(Year 1)
Left side cover crop, navy beans. You use some of this crop for subsistence and you allow gleaning.
Right side a mix of crops. Monoculture means you can only sell to major ag places, whereas lots of crops means you can sell to farmer's market. You sell some navy beans under the table.

(Year 2)
Right side cover crop, left side mixed crops.

We're subsistence farmers, and we barely know whar we are doing but do know something abour trying to have sustainable agriculture. This turkey just throws around buzzwords that strongly suggest he wants to pay people not to work. He also mentioned universal income, so yeah that's more than suggested.
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 2 Jul, 2021 04:53 am
Biden wants to pay farmers to grow carbon-capturing crops. It’s complicated.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 2 Jul, 2021 05:19 am
@bulmabriefs144,
obviously you arent very knowledgeable about farming. Why try to bluff yer way through?
Cover crops usually DO provide income,(short season hay and rye, treefoil gives water uptake and hay.
Orchard grasses (most have 20% protein now) are cover AND feedstock. deep root turnip are for tilth and hog feed.
0 Replies

mommabear

Fri 2 Jul, 2021 05:23 am
The future of food production might look more like aquaponics on an industrial scale than traditional farming.
0 Replies

mommabear

Fri 2 Jul, 2021 05:26 am
Donald Trump might actually still be functional at 85 or 90. Joe Biden appears to have stopped being functional some time ago. Too much sex, drugs, and rock and roll or something.
farmerman

Fri 2 Jul, 2021 05:27 am
@mommabear,
Trump cant even handle the english language without malaprops , not to mention his "leanin on lyin".
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 2 Jul, 2021 05:38 am
@mommabear,
Quote:
Joe Biden appears to have stopped being functional some time ago.

I don't think so. Taken out of context some of his appearances are somewhat cringeworthy but he's always been that way. He's always had a speech impediment/dyslexic thing going on but it's not correct to say he's "stopped being functional". None of the Republican senators who have conferred with him have reported anything like that. Some people are good at speaking off the cuff, some aren't. The former guy, using the speech patterns and vocabulary of a child and repeating the same talking points over and over, managed to appear semi-functional to his adoring base. Maybe Joe should dumb down his statements so he can appear to be as intelligent as the former guy.
0 Replies

mommabear

Fri 2 Jul, 2021 06:21 am
https://youtu.be/f93SVIsNrcE
0 Replies

mommabear

Fri 2 Jul, 2021 06:38 am
Kind of reminds me of the old drunk with the DTs on the Dean Martin show.
hightor

Fri 2 Jul, 2021 08:28 am
@mommabear,
Yeah, it's really cool to make fun of someone who stutters!

Is Biden’s Stutter Being Mistaken for “Cognitive Decline”?
mommabear

Fri 2 Jul, 2021 09:09 am
@hightor,
How about making fun of people who vote to put somebody who stutters and stammers in the white house??
Glennn

Fri 2 Jul, 2021 09:13 am
@hightor,
". . . president elect Harris . . ."

Sure. It's juuuust a stutter.

Plus, he's shown himself to be a liar when it was expedient to his goals.
hightor

Fri 2 Jul, 2021 09:15 am
@mommabear,
How about making fun of people who voted for a clown who lost to somebody who stutters and stammers in the white house??

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Fri 2 Jul, 2021 09:20 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
he's shown himself to be a liar when it was expedient to his goals.
because politicians never do that...

get real...