Question about my naval peircing

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 02:39 pm
hi everybody!
i have had my naval pierced now since xmas+its been fine, but about 5 weeks ago i nocked it really badly. It got red, inflammed+then infected. I left it alone, apart from bathing with sea salt twice a day, but it got worse. i then went to the doctors and he gave me antibiotics for it, but said he'd only give me a 1 week course, and wouldn't give me anymore if i came back as "its self inflicted". I didnt think this was right, but there's nothing i can do really...is there?
but, it cleared up and now, 1 week later (without nocking it again) its bk! infected again, so im determined to leave it alone, and use seasalt soaks, but what else can i do about it???
i dont let my clothes catch on it, but its annoying me. also, i think the antibiotics only just cleared up the infection, bcos im on a separate medication which supresses my immune system, so my body's pretty crap for healing itself!!
Any help???
Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,944 • Replies: 40
No top replies

KiwiChic

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 02:46 pm
well I used a over the counter medical meths from the chemist
every morning and every night cleaning the whole are, but yeah I too knocked mine in the beginning and it went red etc and hurt but after a while it gets better, now I forget I have a piercing and I can knock it and I feel nothing...so basicaly you have to grin and bear it until it heals, but go to the pharmacy and grab that stuff. Very Happy
0 Replies

kittengirl

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 02:50 pm
thanx! any idea what it's called? i used to use surgical sprirt, but then got told its the worst thing u can use on an infected piercing. any way i can get antibiotics over the counter?
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 03:18 pm
just ask the pharmacist for a small bottle of medical meths (thats all that it says on the bottle) to put on piercings just like what you would put on your ears as a kid when you first get them pierced...he should know what it is...everyone uses it here in New Zealand, I got my naval piercing done in Australia and they said to use the same stuff.....it stings a lot! but at least you know its killing the bugs....another soothing cream I used was called 'Bepanthen' which I would put around the area, because my skin is so sensitive, that helps too.....a lot of tattooists recommend it for fresh tattoo's
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 04:54 pm
Go get the advice of the must expirienced peicer in your area.I have expirience in this area.youll be very glad you took my advice.when it comes to peircing docters never helped me or anyone I know.If your peircing gets to infected you have to take it out.Watch for fever its a sign of bad infection
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 07:06 pm
Hang on! Kiwichick's suggestion is good for preventing a piercing from getting infected, but it may not be so good for one that is already infected.

I think one week's antibiotics seems short. Go to a different doctor. Go to a clinic if you must, but get more antibiotics and make sure they are giving you the right amount.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 07:08 pm
By the way, a friend of mine got very, very infected when she had her belly piercing. She had to take it out.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 07:22 pm
sorry, what I failed to put up as well, was if it is that badly infected and wont heal, take the ring out altogether....like littlek said.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 07:24 pm
littlek is probably right I'm not a docter or a peircer go see both.The failed antibiotic could have made infection come back stronger
0 Replies

kittengirl

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 10:49 am
thanx everyone, il go to the piercer who did it later on this wek+go to the infirmary aswell. i got told that if you take a piercing out when its infected, then the infection remains in your body+bcos its got no way of escaping, it can enter your blood stream, etc!
i squeezed a load of pus out of it today+now its less swollen. Im still bathing it aswell! there feels like there's a tiny swollen lump sort of behind, and slightly below, the bottom ball!
0 Replies

kittengirl

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 10:51 am
also, i find that doctors look down on u cos u have a piercing, its like "you've put a hole in urself, its ur own fault". Is that right?? its putting me off the doctors. gonna get an appointment tomo if i can with the female doctor at our surgery, cos think she'll be nicer
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:39 pm
I've never had that experience with doctors. They are usually intrigued by my piercing and tattoos. However, aside from that, was it completely healed before you hit it? It sounds like it has not been healed at all. My piercing took 2 weeks to heal completely. If it wasn't healed completely then it sounds like you are allergic to the metal. You will either need to take it out or get a titanium bar/ring. If it was healed and you are just now getting infection, it sounds like you need to go back to the doctor. God forbid you get a staph infection in it or something worse. You can't keep clothes and sheets from rubbing on it unless you cover it with a bandage. Try that for a few days .

Sea salt is very good. Also go get some Bactine to put on it. That is what I got when I was pierced.

Good luck and keep us updated!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:42 pm
Body Jewelry

A link to a website that carries titanium jewelry.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 01:01 pm
tina969 wrote:
also, i find that doctors look down on u cos u have a piercing, its like "you've put a hole in urself, its ur own fault". Is that right?? its putting me off the doctors. gonna get an appointment tomo if i can with the female doctor at our surgery, cos think she'll be nicer
This is exactly what I'm talking about with the doctor thing.They don't respect you.They feel were getting what we deserve.Every post on this subject has been right on.I Forget about allergic reactions
0 Replies

kittengirl

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 02:21 pm
bella dea - im gonna buy a titanium bar, cos maybe that could be the problem. Should i wait until this infections gone before i change it, or not?? Also, i had it done at xmas+waited 4 months til i changed it+its been fine until now.

Another question - can you register at 2 different doctors surgeries at once? just thinking of going to a different one if the lady too doesnt help me.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 02:22 pm
Depends on your insurance.

If you take that bar out while it's like this, you are likely to have it close up. See a doctor before changing the bar.
0 Replies

kittengirl

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 02:26 pm
well i did breifly take it out earlier today, for like 2 mins, as it got so gooey and messy, i could get the crust (sorry, i know that's gross) off it without bathing the bar properly. and i had no trouble re-inserting it. It isnt swollen at the top hole, just the bottom one+ever so slightly in the middle (the piece of skin between the 2 balls.)

I dont get the thing about insurance, im just with an NHS surgery?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 02:31 pm
If you havn't seen a doctor or a peircer yet your time is running out.The docter will tel you to take it out.Almost all my peircings got infected.I roughed it out. Peircer can tell you where to draw the line.Zinc Helps your body fight infection
0 Replies

kittengirl

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 02:35 pm
im taking vitamin C with Zinc, bcos i heard that. Il go docs tomo+also go piercer after for his opinion. I wont take it out while its infected, bcos it will seal in the infection+then it'll never heal+could make me ill
0 Replies

kittengirl

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 02:56 pm
ok, just bought some saline solution and this belly bar, so hopefully that'll help!
thank you for all your replies+il let u know how tomo goes!
0 Replies