26
   

Covid Vaccine Informal Poll and Drinking Society

 
 
snood
 
  2  
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2021 05:25 am
A recent survey showed that as many as 40% of republicans are saying that they have no intention to take the vaccine.

I know he wouldn’t do it, but if Trump would come out and do an NSA encouraging his faithful to take it, I wouldn’t even mind if he spun it like “It’s MY vaccine - I did it with Operation Warp Soeed, so take the Trump vaccine!”

We are going to be hard pressed getting to herd immunity if so many republicans are just not participating.
snood
 
  2  
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2021 06:50 am
@snood,
This Trump supporter is bragging about his not getting a vaccine because it makes Liberals mad.
0 Replies
 
snood
 
  3  
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2021 07:15 am
I meant to write ‘PSA’, not ‘NSA’.
glitterbag
 
  2  
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2021 02:03 pm
@snood,
I wish there was a way to get a little more time to correct spelling errors or 'spell-check' sabotage.
0 Replies
 
snood
 
  3  
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2021 02:15 pm
Here’s an interesting tidbit:
Between September 1st, 2020 and the end of January 2021, the CDC says there were 1316 reported cases of influenza.

During the same time period the year before? Nearly 130,000 cases.

The difference? Mask wearing during the winter months.

Mask wearing during winter might be a change that sticks. I mean, except for the right wing loonies.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/a-sharp-drop-in-flu-cases-during-covid-19-pandemic/
Linkat
 
  0  
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2021 02:40 pm
@snood,
I'd imagine a large part of this also is people working from home nd not taking public transportation. It is not just the mask with the flu but touching public surfaces.

Also many older folks not going out at all. I attribute to more of the seclusion than the masks.

Although it might have helped that one tie that bonehead sneezed on my head on the subway if he had a mask on.
snood
 
  3  
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2021 03:19 pm
@Linkat,
Yeah, okay. Masks are not the ONLY, SOLE, EXCLUSIVE reason for the change. But as far as gauging what was a huge change factor in the behavior of the masses, mask wearing meets the Occam’s razor test as the number one factor.
glitterbag
 
  3  
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2021 03:27 pm
@snood,
The Japanese and Chinese have no problem wearing masks during health emergencies. (there may be other cultures But Japan and China are the ones I immediately thought of) I think it says a little something about our society that we refuse to be inconvenienced even a tiny bit to help stem the path of infections, EVEN during a Pandemic.
0 Replies
 
Linkat
 
  1  
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2021 03:32 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Yeah, okay. Masks are not the ONLY, SOLE, EXCLUSIVE reason for the change. But as far as gauging what was a huge change factor in the behavior of the masses, mask wearing meets the Occam’s razor test as the number one factor.


Actually in my opinion - the higher factor is less contact with outside people.

You don't need to wear a mask if you are not having contact with people outside your bubble. Why do you think various indigenous groups caught small pox because they had contact with outside people...not because they were wearing masks before.

Now granted if you are going out amongst the masses yes a mask will help somewhat - but if you have virus on your hands from earlier putting your mask on and touching your face and you then touch various handles spreading the flu - the mask is not going to protect those touching those handles. I remember seeing countless times people sneezing into their hand and then touching the pole to hold on in the subway.

I would not touch anything else until I could wash my hands whenever I got into work.

And yes - this past year not taking the subway - I have not gotten sick (not that I tend to) but not even a cold. I attribute that to the subway - a cesspool of bacteria. (see my why I hate the subway thread)

https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/center-news/2015/12/separating-fact-from-fiction-about-colds-and-flu.html

See number 10 - however, I think more people understand the correct way of wearing masks by now.
snood
 
  2  
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2021 03:38 pm
@Linkat,
Everyone’s got an opinion. It’s America. Right on.

I would tend to take the Harvard scientist’s opinion that he came to after studying the phenomenon of less flu cases a mite more seriously than yours. ( Citation in previous post)
snood
 
  3  
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2021 03:42 pm
Wasn’t Covid19 found to be more of an airborne virus, than one that thrives well on surfaces?
0 Replies
 
snood
 
  3  
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2021 03:49 pm
The COVID-19 virus rarely spreads through surface contact.
Linkat
 
  0  
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2021 03:50 pm
@snood,
I took the Harvard opinion -

" including wearing masks and distancing, are likely the major reason for a steep decline of flu cases in the U.S., according to experts....""...the sharp drop in cases was probably largely driven by mask-wearing and distancing..."

Masks and distancing. Not that masks are number one. I think he is alluding to using masks in the future because logically the public as a whole is not going to be distancing forever. So if you cannot distance wearing a mask makes sense.

Also logical though if you are distance and have little contact outside you are much less likely to catch anything or even touch anything with a virus as the flu does survive on surfaces for hours.
0 Replies
 
Linkat
 
  2  
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2021 03:52 pm
@snood,


Yes covid - but we were talking about the flu.

"The flu virus can live and potentially infect other people for up to 48 hours after being left behind on a surface. Although the flu virus can survive on hands for only 3 to 5 minutes, if other people later touch a contaminated surface and then touch their eyes, nose, or mouth, they can be exposed to the flu."

https://www.cdc.gov/nonpharmaceutical-interventions/environmental/index.html#:~:text=The%20flu%20virus%20can%20live,be%20exposed%20to%20the%20flu.
snood
 
  2  
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2021 06:16 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:



Yes covid - but we were talking about the flu.

"The flu virus can live and potentially infect other people for up to 48 hours after being left behind on a surface. Although the flu virus can survive on hands for only 3 to 5 minutes, if other people later touch a contaminated surface and then touch their eyes, nose, or mouth, they can be exposed to the flu."


https://www.cdc.gov/nonpharmaceutical-interventions/environmental/index.html#:~:text=The%20flu%20virus%20can%20live,be%20exposed%20to%20the%20flu.


Yes, you’re right. We were talking about the flu.

This next quote could probably have been found in the very article you cherry picked to support your point about contact with surfaces.
But the fact remains that masks are the first best defense against influenza ALSO.

“The influenza viruses mainly are spread from person to person through droplets produced by coughing or sneezing.”


https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/biol_hazards/influenza.html
Linkat
 
  1  
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2021 06:28 pm
@snood,
I'm not denying it is spread that way but it is also spread through surfaces.

You were the one that said Harvard study stated mainly due to masks whereas it said mainly due to distance and masks. Common sense would tell someone if you have very limited contact with others then whether you contract a virus through the air or touch or both, it is much less likely to catch it...

If your neighbor has the flu and you do not leave your house you are not going to catch it whether you wear a mask or not.

What I so called cherry picked was from the CDC which I thought you would hold in higher regard. Just like you cherry picked stating from the Harvard study that it is mainly due to mask wearing.
snood
 
  1  
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2021 06:39 pm
@Linkat,
You dance real well, but you can’t avoid the simple fact that masks are still the best tool because person to person spread by droplets IN THE AIR are the MAIN way fly is spread.
There are other ways, but droplets from person to person IN THE AIR is the MAIN way flu is spread.

My whole point was that wearing masks probably decreased the amount of flu transmission, and studies back that up.

Cleaning and disinfecting and staying home probably ALSO helped, but wearing masks was the MAIN FACTOR.

Why in the hell do you have a problem digesting that?
BillRM
 
  0  
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2021 07:19 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

cherrie wrote:
The roll-out here is ridiculously slow and I have no idea when I'll be getting one.

The US really should start sharing vaccines with our friends and allies. I think it's wrong for the last American to be vaccinated before the first Canadian is vaccinated.


Service them right as we even send Franklin to Canada to ask them nicely to join us an they turn him down. <grin>
jespah
 
  3  
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2021 07:32 pm
Time to serve another round of drinks.
cherrie
 
  3  
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2021 07:49 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

oralloy wrote:

cherrie wrote:
The roll-out here is ridiculously slow and I have no idea when I'll be getting one.

The US really should start sharing vaccines with our friends and allies. I think it's wrong for the last American to be vaccinated before the first Canadian is vaccinated.


Service them right as we even send Franklin to Canada to ask them nicely to join us an they turn him down. <grin>



I have no idea what you're talking about here. I'm in Australia, not Canada.
 

Related Topics

Learn from Max's mistake. - Discussion by maxdancona
Vaccines against drug effects - Discussion by livinglava
Should children get immunizations? - Discussion by 2tfx
SHINGLES VACCINATION - Discussion by Advocate
 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/30/2021 at 02:38:43