Covid Vaccine Informal Poll and Drinking Society

engineer

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2021 10:02 am
@izzythepush,
Not disagreeing. It would make a lot of sense for the US to help Mexico along for example given the amount of cross border commerce, but the people in Michigan are not going to countenance sending vaccines abroad while they are facing a fourth wave. That's not just "America's friends and allies". I can't see any country having a government that is answerable to the people willing to push their citizens back in line for someone else's citizens.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2021 10:56 am
@engineer,
The thing is, various agreements were set up a while ago, some countries have been dealing with vaccination better than others.

The UK’s success was bound to signing contracts with pharmaceutical companies early on.

We’re in a similar situation with mainland Europe, they were slower to sign contracts and the pharmaceutical companies have had problems fulfilling contracts that have been signed. There has been talk of blockades and legal action but so far nothing has happened.

I think people are more likely to accept vaccines being sent abroad if timetables are being adhered to and cases are going down. India recently stoped exporting vaccines following a spike in infections.

Obviously there are those who won’t want to help out under any circumstances, but I think most will be alright if there is a sense of fairness. If infections are going down and the groups being vaccinated are not less vulnerable than those awaiting vaccination at home. In short if they’re not seen to be jumping the queue.

With more people vaccinated and more vaccines being authorised, ( the moderna vaccine was used for the first time over here today,) vaccine nationalism should start to subside, but we’re a long way from there.
jespah

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2021 11:24 am
@izzythepush,
IIRC some of the UK's success has come from vaccinating as many as possible without waiting to see if they have a second dose vaccine. i.e. Use 100 vaccines to give one shot to 100 people for something like 80% immunity, rather than use those same 100 vaccines to give two shots to 50 people for something like 95% immunity.

I think it's a decent strategy for scarcity.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2021 11:54 am
@jespah,
I had my first shot at the beginning of March and the second is 22nd May which seems a bigger gap than a lot of those here.

I can see the logic, two loved ones given 80% immunity instead of one having 98% and the other having none.

That’s how it was sold over here.
cherrie

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2021 06:30 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

cherrie wrote:
The roll-out here is ridiculously slow and I have no idea when I'll be getting one.

The US really should start sharing vaccines with our friends and allies. I think it's wrong for the last American to be vaccinated before the first Canadian is vaccinated.

I'm in Australia, not Canada.
oralloy

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2021 07:04 pm
@cherrie,
There have been posts from people in Canada that describe a vaccine shortage that I would characterize as quite severe.
Below viewing threshold (view)
RABEL222

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2021 02:45 pm
My Wife and I got our shots in February and while my wife felt bad with the second one I felt good with both. Couldn't tell I had a shot 5 min. later.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2021 02:59 pm
@SSLTomK,
Oh, look! Someone who can't follow directions.
jespah wrote:

PS Covid is real and the pandemic exists. If you want to claim neither of those statements are true, kindly do it elsewhere. Thank you!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2021 07:47 pm
@jespah,
AZ booked for Sunday morning at pharmacy I can walk to.

My dad had his first jab yesterday. Said he napped a bit more than usual but he's a slightly frail 90 so extra naps are good.

Here's to minor after effects. Ginger ale and tater chips were added to tomorrow's grocery order so I feel prepared Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2021 07:51 pm
@oralloy,
Rollout has moved to crazy zoom level. A million doses was delivered to Canada each day this past week and it's being administered fairly quickly, given some distance/isolated territory problems that made Moderna in particular almost useless for us.
oralloy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2021 07:54 pm
@ehBeth,
Cool. Good luck!
ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2021 07:55 pm
@oralloy,
Thanks !
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2021 06:46 am
Yes things are looking up in Canada. Mr Fixit and I are both booked for our first shot in a couple of weeks.
jcboy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2021 02:51 pm
All of us have had our second shot of Pfizer. I experienced mild symptoms from the second shot. Basically just a headache and felt tired the next day, just stayed home and rested.

We still mask up in public.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2021 09:13 am
@Tai Chi,
That is great news!

I'm sitting at my local sdm after jab #1. . Will be able to walk home soon.

Need tea !
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2021 03:20 pm

Why 'covid arm' and other post-vaccine rashes might actually be a good thing
(WaPo)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2021 05:27 pm
Pfizer Uno is in the books for both of us. The operation was conducted incredibly efficiently. Makes you wonder why everything isn't so well done all the time.

Going back on the 3rd of May and should be at optimal protection by I believe the 17th.