Besides coondogs, what domestic dog breeds are popular with rednecks, hillbillies and good ol' boys?

Wed 3 Mar, 2021 02:21 pm
Hi. I am doing research on this. Besides coondogs, which are also known as coonhounds, what domestic dog breeds are popular in rural America, especially among rednecks, hillbillies and good ol' boys?

Please help. Thank you.

farmerman

Wed 3 Mar, 2021 04:59 pm
@JGoldman10,
mutts and catahoulas
JGoldman10

Wed 3 Mar, 2021 05:24 pm
@farmerman,
"Mutt" is not a breed.
Linkat

Wed 3 Mar, 2021 05:24 pm
@JGoldman10,
capybara
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Wed 3 Mar, 2021 05:30 pm
@JGoldman10,
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/04/f4/92/04f492776aba204a522db0d1642eca38.png

Aww man, i couldn't stop laughing at this......
izzythepush

Wed 3 Mar, 2021 05:31 pm
Abyssinian tripehounds.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 3 Mar, 2021 05:32 pm
@JGoldman10,
really , it i as much a breed as are "Crapadoodles" and "Golden doodles"

Hill folk, unless they are landholders and farmers, will have whatever thy can get.
Even coon dogs contain many unrecognized "breeds" by field dog associations and breed associations.

BORDER COLLIES weren even recognized as a breed till about 20 yers ago. The rule was that AKC defined breed on shape and CONFORMANCE to standard shape and color. Border Collies were always bred for BRAINS and "independent thinking" . Border collies come in several colors, coat config, and facial structure and limb conformity..

Ragman and I have (or do own) Border Collies and a good line aint cheap. If hillbillies raise sheep or alpacas, Borders are as good as two extra workers in drovering.
farmerman

Wed 3 Mar, 2021 05:36 pm
@farmerman,
Catahoulas are "hog dogs", Tenacious, gritty, tough, smart as a good Border Collie and verrrrry independent.(If you dont keep em busy with something they feel is not below their level) you wont like what they can get into.

We had two catahoulas that wouldgo out and scatter the steers just to round em up and pen em.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Wed 3 Mar, 2021 06:23 pm
@farmerman,
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/mutt :

noun Slang.
a dog, especially a mongrel.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/mongrel :

a dog of mixed or indeterminate breed.

Calling a mutt a "breed" makes as much sense as calling a calico or a tabby a "breed".

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/calico :

an animal having a spotted or particolored coat.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/tabby :
1. a cat with a striped or brindled coat.
2. a domestic cat, especially a female one.

"Calico" and "tabby" are NOT domestic cat breeds.
JGoldman10

Wed 3 Mar, 2021 06:24 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
I feel sorry for those dogs. Sad
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 3 Mar, 2021 10:12 pm
@JGoldman10,
Same thing applies to "Coon dog". As I said there are several full breeds of coon hounds and many coon hound hound mutts.

Ive worked in the coal fields of West Virginia and Kentucky and the "Mutt" (with hound lines) is still a popular dog. If you want to argue that its not a "pure breed" That was never my point. It STILL is one of the most popular farm and hunting dogs in the hills.

JGoldman10

Wed 3 Mar, 2021 10:15 pm
@farmerman,
A mutt is not a full breed.
farmerman

Wed 3 Mar, 2021 10:21 pm
@JGoldman10,
I never said it was, I asserted that its a popular dog among hillbillies and that was your question.
PS the American English Coon Hound and the Red Tick werent recognized as "Breeds" by the AKC till 2012. So, during history, it too was a "Mutt"
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 4 Mar, 2021 09:08 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Same thing applies to "Coon dog". As I said there are several full breeds of coon hounds and many coon hound hound mutts.

Ive worked in the coal fields of West Virginia and Kentucky and the "Mutt" (with hound lines) is still a popular dog. If you want to argue that its not a "pure breed" That was never my point. It STILL is one of the most popular farm and hunting dogs in the hills.

I think what Jgoldman is missing is the reality of the situation - in reality so called rednecks, hillbillies and good ol' boys do not have the cash to invest in a pure breed dog. In reality these groups tend to overall own mutts or mixed breed dogs - though they tend to have certain blood lines like hounds thus you hear of coon hounds because of how these individuals use their dogs - likely for hunting, protection and maybe ratting and stuff like that.

So it is unlikely that you were to find a "true" dog breed but more a mix of some sort that fits the needs of these individuals lifestyle.
izzythepush

Thu 4 Mar, 2021 09:34 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I think what Jgoldman is missing is the reality of the situation

All situations, he has preconceived notions about something and expects those notions to be reinforced. When that doesn’t happen there’s invariably a problem.
Linkat

Thu 4 Mar, 2021 12:02 pm
@izzythepush,
Then perhaps he should just let us know what he wants to be the breeds and we can simply agree with him - make it easier on all of us.

So Jgoldman what domestic dog breeds do you want to be popular with said group of individuals?
JGoldman10

Thu 4 Mar, 2021 01:30 pm
@Linkat,
Why is no one responding to the post I made in my other thread?:

https://able2know.org/topic/556126-4#post-7111394
farmerman

Thu 4 Mar, 2021 04:04 pm
@JGoldman10,
I dont think it requires any more explanation. Its been answered fairly completely. It was a question, not a discussion,
JGoldman10

Fri 5 Mar, 2021 10:15 pm
@farmerman,
I asked, "Isn't there an overlap between the terms 'hillbilly', 'redneck' and 'good ol' boy' ?" No one responded.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Fri 5 Mar, 2021 10:33 pm
@Linkat,
A couple of years ago someone on Yahoo! Answers asked what breeds of dogs do rednecks own:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20131226205535AAtKKnq

A lot of good answers were given:

"Redneck Dog
Source(s): https://shrink.im/a0vwl"

"Any hound dog would be "redneck",

Bloodhound

Black & Tan Coonhound

Foxhound (maybe not so much)

Just very droopy kinda looking dogs.

Bullmastiff? Etc.

Mutts and mixed breeds could also be considered "redneck", depending on their mixture. Often Rottweiler or Pit Bull/Am. Staff mixes are popular for rednecks that want to look "tough".

I live in a very "redneck" community. It depends if you're looking more at the kind of redneck that lives out in the middle of nowhere and makes his own moonshine or more rancher-kinda redneck. Smile

My answer was more directed at the moonshiner-type.

Maremmas

Great Pyrenees

etc. good livestock guardian dogs.

German Shepherd or other herding-type breed mixes would be more suited to the "rancher"-type redneck.

If you're actually considering BUYING a dog, make sure you buy them from working lines and not showing lines. Smile

Good luck! xx

Source(s): Personal experience and knowledge"

"I had a mutt named Moonshine and everyone told me she looked like farm dog (and she was lol) if that's what you mean by redneck?

I also have a German shepherd/Lab/Aussie/Golden retriever cross (or so the DNA test said) who I am constantly getting comments about how he looks like a farm dog...and he kinda is, we have a farm and a house in the city.

So in my opinion just a large mutt. I got my first dog off a farm lol and the second I found his litter while duck hunting....so pretty "redneck" right from the get go for them!

Source(s): Experience"

"Catahoula Leopard dog

Mountain Cur

Black Mouth Cur (Old Yellar was one)

Plott Hound

Blue Tick and Red Tick hounds

July Hounds

American Staghound (a sighthound mix for hunting coyotes)

Lurcher (smaller than the rest, for cleaning rodents out of the barn and small game)

Normally they are cross breeds (hence the cur in the name), but these breeds are in the mix. We pick our pups based on how they hunt and work, not their looks. Most of the breeds we own are not popular as pets because they are active, smart, and usually not friendly towards strangers. I highly recommend researching any of these breeds before buying one. Any one of them can bring a wild boar to a stand still, and that is a tough dog, better be smart enough to handle them!"

"When I think of a dog a red neck would own, I think of a blood hound or some kind of hound. But it is probably just a matter of opinion! Are you a red neck wanting to own a dog? Or do you have a dog that you think should belong to a red neck?

(Or if you want to be literal, I would get a Chinese crested hairless and let it get sunburned)"

"Driving around the "redneck area of town", I see mostly Labs, Beagles and Boxers. If I drive around the rural areas, I see a mix bag of dogs."

"Hound Dogs."

"Pits

Rottweilers

Coon dogs

Beagles (rabbit dog)"

"Red neck, do you mean hunting dogs, beagles, blood hound, etc.? rat terriers are good too.

What are you looking for a dog to do? No beagles or bloodhounds in apartments they howl.

No"

"I live in a southern US state and the breed/s mostly owned are pit/pit mixes and lab/lab mixes."

I highlighted the names of actual dog breeds that were given.