Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Builder

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2024 05:26 am
@hightor,
Quote:
it's not as if she were just declared the official candidate; her nomination had to be voted on by the party delegates.

And when did that happen? It quite simply didn't happen.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2024 05:45 am
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2024 06:01 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
And when did that happen?
Harris officially claimed the nomination following a five-day online voting process, receiving 4,563 delegate votes out of 4,615 cast, or about 99% of participating delegates.
Votes were released on August 5.

Builder wrote:
It quite simply didn't happen.

It simply proves what you are.
Builder

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2024 06:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,

Harris Officially Secures Democratic Party’s Nomination for President

The vice president won 99 percent of participating delegates in an unusual, virtual roll call vote that concluded Monday, the party said.

Kamala Harris steps onto a stage at a campaign rally, with a large U.S. flag behind her. Behind her, people fill the seats in an arena.
Vice President Kamala Harris earned the support of 99 percent of the 4,567 delegates who cast ballots, the Democratic National Committee said.Credit...Erin Schaff/The New York Times
Nicholas Nehamas

By Nicholas Nehamas

Reporting from Washington

Aug. 6, 2024

Vice President Kamala Harris has secured the Democratic nomination for president, becoming the first woman of color to win a major party’s nomination and officially setting up her matchup against former President Donald J. Trump.

Ms. Harris, 59, earned the support of 99 percent of the 4,567 delegates who cast ballots, the Democratic National Committee said in a statement late Monday. In an unusual move meant to avoid potential legal headaches, the roll call was held virtually over five days, instead of in-person at the Democratic National Convention, which begins on Aug. 19 in Chicago.

The convention’s secretary, Jason Rae, must certify the results of the roll call before Ms. Harris and her soon-to-be-announced running mate accept the nomination.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/06/us/politics/kamala-harris-president-campaign-2024.html

Yeah, it all looks hunky dory, eh?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2024 07:10 am
@Builder,
Anyway, the way in which political parties worldwide make their choice for candidates is determined by their own internal rules and procedures.

And not how Builder wants it to be done.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2024 09:31 am
The Washington Post and LA Times refused to endorse a candidate. Why? Margaret Sullivan

The choice for president has seldom been starker.

On one side is Donald Trump, a felonious and twice-impeached conman, raring to finish off the job of dismantling American democracy. On the other is Kamala Harris, a capable and experienced leader who stands for traditional democratic principles.

Nevertheless – and shockingly – the Los Angeles Times and the Washington Post have decided to sit this one out. Both major news organizations, each owned by a billionaire, announced this week that their editorial boards would not make a presidential endorsement, despite their decades-long traditions of doing so.

There’s no other way to see this other than as an appalling display of cowardice and a dereliction of their public duty.

At the Los Angeles Times, the decision rests clearly with Patrick Soon-Shiong, who bought the ailing paper in 2018, raising great hopes of a resurgence there.

At the Post (where I was the media columnist from 2016 to 2022), the editorial page editor David Shipley said he owned the decision, but it clearly came from above – specifically from the publisher, Will Lewis, the veteran of Rupert Murdoch’s media properties, hand-picked last year by the paper’s owner, Jeff Bezos. Was Bezos himself the author of this abhorrent decision? Maybe not, but it could not have come as a surprise.

All of this may look like nonpartisan neutrality, or be intended to, but it’s far from that. For one thing, it’s a shameful smackdown of both papers’ reporting and opinion-writing staffs who have done important work exposing Trump’s dangers for many years.

It’s also a strong statement of preference. The papers’ leaders have made it clear that they either want Trump (who is, after all, a boon to large personal fortunes) or that they don’t wish to risk the ex-president’s wrath and retribution if he wins. If the latter was a factor, it’s based on a shortsighted judgment, since Trump has been a hazard to press rights and would only be emboldened in a second term.

“Disturbing spinelessness at an institution famed for courage,” the wrote former Washington Post editor Marty Baron on Friday on X, blasting the Post’s decision. He predicted that Trump would see this as an invitation to try further to intimidate Bezos, a dynamic detailed in Baron’s 2023 book Collision of Power.

The editorials editor at the Los Angeles Times, Mariel Garza, resigned this week over the owner’s decision to kill off the editorial board’s planned endorsement of Harris.

“I am resigning because I want to make it clear that I am not OK with us being silent,” Garza told Columbia Journalism Review’s editor, Sewell Chan. “In dangerous times, honest people need to stand up. This is how I’m standing up.”

Others, including a Pulitzer prize-winning editorial writer at the California paper, followed her principled lead. The Washington Post editor at large Robert Kagan resigned in protest, too. They do so at considerable personal cost, since there are so few similar positions in today’s financially troubled media industry.

With the most consequential election of the modern era only days away, the silence is deafening
Some news organizations upheld their duty and remained true to their mission.

The New York Times endorsed Harris last month, calling her “the only patriotic choice for president”, and writing that Trump “has proved himself morally unfit for an office that asks its occupant to put the good of the nation above self-interest”.

The Guardian, too, strongly endorsed Harris, saying she would “unlock democracy’s potential, not give in to its flaws”, and calling Trump a “transactional and corrupting politician”.

Meanwhile, the Murdoch-controlled New York Post has endorsed Trump. Although that decision lacks a moral core, it’s far from surprising.

But the Los Angeles Times and the Washington Post decisions are, in their way, far worse.

They constitute “an abdication”, said Jelani Cobb, dean of Columbia University’s Graduate School of Journalism. (I run an ethics center and teach there.)

The refusal to endorse, he told me, “tacitly equalizes two wildly distinct candidates, one of whom has tried to overturn a presidential election and one of whom has not”.

As for the message this refusal sends to the public? It’s ugly.

Readers will reasonably conclude that the newspapers were intimidated. And people will fairly question, Cobb said, when else they “have chosen expediency over courage”.

This is no moment to stand at the sidelines – shrugging, speechless and self-interested.

With the most consequential election of the modern era only days away, the silence is deafening.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2024 10:05 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Dear Guardian readers,

This week, two of America’s largest newspapers declined to endorse a candidate for president in this election. The Los Angeles Times and the Washington Post both have a tradition of issuing editorial endorsements, but in this most consequential of contests for our country, they have chosen to sit on the sidelines of democracy and not alienate any candidate.

Something these two papers have in common? They both have billionaire owners who could face retaliation in a Trump presidency.

It has never been clearer that media ownership matters to democracy. The Guardian is not billionaire-owned, nor do we have shareholders. We are supported by readers and owned by the Scott Trust, which guarantees our editorial independence in perpetuity. Nobody influences our journalism. We are fiercely independent and accountable only to you, our readers.

The stakes of this election could not be higher. Fearless journalism and an informed public are bedrocks of our democracy, and it is an abdication of our duty as journalists to sit out this election out of self-interest. A Guardian editorial strongly endorsed Kamala Harris for president earlier this week – and we are unafraid of any potential consequences.

We need to raise $2m in order to keep up our momentum next year and hold the new administration to account – whoever is in the White House. Please help protect the truly free press by contributing to the Guardian today.

Yours,

Betsy Reed
Editor, Guardian US
The Guardian
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2024 10:42 am
At the newspaper who's motto is: Democracy Dies In Darkness". Bezos just flipped the switch off.

https://i.imgur.com/B0SXlLV.png
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2024 02:46 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Something these two papers have in common? They both have billionaire owners who could face retaliation in a Trump presidency.

It has never been clearer that media ownership matters to democracy. The Guardian is not billionaire-owned, nor do we have shareholders. We are supported by readers and owned by the Scott Trust, which guarantees our editorial independence in perpetuity. Nobody influences our journalism. We are fiercely independent and accountable only to you, our readers.

Yes! Each morning when I begin my survey of news/opinions, my first two stops (TPM and Guardian) are both high quality sources and which are reader supported.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2024 03:50 pm
Note that this was from about 24 hours ago

Quote:
Carlos@TheMayaka
22h
A friend who works for #WaPo marketing dept says there's a #WaPoMeltDown in their business unit following the news as digital subscriptions cancellations have hit 60k barely 8 hrs after decision not to endorse. Cancellation rate is unprecedented and we're barely 24 hours into it.

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2024 04:07 pm
@blatham,

play stupid games, win stupid prizes...
blatham

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2024 04:32 pm
@Region Philbis,
A few months after Bezos bought the paper, I asked Greg Sargent if he or his colleagues had noted any change in editorial slant. He said Bezos appeared to be completely hands off in that sphere. It seems to me that a turning point came when Bezos (or his WP team) hired William Lewis as CEO. Lewis was, as most know, part of Murdoch's operations in England. Subsequently, Lewis also brought in a number of other people from that world. In short order, Greg and Paul Waldman and a significant number of other very good reporters were let go while people like Eric Erickson were retained.

I really don't have any good sense of what Bezos thinks about all this. I don't know if he originally bought the paper to influence opinion within government and the American population of whether he picked it up as something like a status-enhancing toy. But what seems important is that the WP is an insignificant piece (economically speaking) of his operations. It's Amazon and Blue Origin and government contracts which involve the big money. He could quite probably let go of this toy and or have it lose more money without serious economic damage.

But I'd be very interested in how the Lewis hire came about.
0 Replies