Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

snood

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 02:26 pm
@izzythepush,
In your opinion, Chapelle is not funny.
That doesn’t mean someone else can’t find him hilarious.

I never found Monty Python that funny, but my college roommate used to laugh uproariously at it.
snood

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 02:30 pm
Kevin Hart has a very large following. A very popular comedian. I don’t think he’s even mildly amusing.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 02:39 pm
@snood,
It wasn’t just that I found Chapelle unfunny, I found his act truly dreadful, couldn’t bear it, it was truly the worst.

I don’t find Jimmy Carr funny, but he doesn’t make me want to throw a brick at the telly.

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 02:55 pm
@izzythepush,
I don't know who Jimmy Carr is.
I tuned into Chapelle once and found some of his humor funny, many of his remarks insightful, but the one I saw was tailored to Americans exclusively it seemed. I think if I were a Brit or Australian I might have found him less funny.
My humor is not typical of anyone I could name. I don't watch any Monte Python bits for instance. But Mr. Bean bits they ran on TV not so many years back had me eagerly awaiting each episode.
blatham

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 02:57 pm
You chaps are arguing about who is or is not funny? As Snood said, it's subjective. And, as Snood also pointed out, widespread popularity (of, say, Chapelle or Hart) does tell us something.

The Washington Post has an excellent deep dive on the "stolen election" crowd and it's history. Highly recommended. HERE
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 02:59 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
You chaps are arguing about who is or is not funny?

#SlowNewsDay
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 03:00 pm
The attacks on Palestinians is ongoing.
blatham

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 03:02 pm
@Region Philbis,
Apparently. I'll just add a couple of points to my post on the WP story... 1) if you're not familiar with The Council for National Policy, you ought to be. Wikipedia has a fairly good piece on this crowd. They are far more significant than their low profile might suggest. 2) note in the WP piece the role of fossil fuel interests in funding this bullshit propaganda.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 03:03 pm
Hey, I claim my right to random tangents just like everyone else.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 03:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
I didn’t know who Kevin Hart was.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 03:21 pm
@izzythepush,
You could show a clip of him and I would not recognize him. I watch very few movies, except mostly old ones.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 03:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

If the Palestinians don't want people to defend themselves against them, then they should stop trying to murder people.

The Palestinians deserve worse than they're getting. Israel is way too patient with the Palestinians IMO. I'd not be nearly so gentle if it were my call what to do with them.
BillW

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 03:37 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

If the Palestinians don't want people to defend themselves against them, then they should stop trying to murder people.

The Palestinians deserve worse than they're getting. Israel is way too patient with the Palestinians IMO. I'd not be nearly so gentle if it were my call what to do with them.

I have always avoided any threads concerning Israel and the Palestinians. There is too much vitriol and blame spread around, much of it based in emotion and little to no fact. It is a quagmire I don't want to be in.

I always stay as far away from "original sin" as I possibly can. An argument that has been around since "the beginning of time" is much to old and much to ridiculous for mankind. Now many wars to date?
oralloy

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 04:09 pm
@BillW,
DNA shows that both the Israelis and the Palestinians are indigenous to the area. Both are descended from the Bronze Age Canaanites. I speculate that the Palestinians were from one of the Iron Age kingdoms that bordered Iron Age Israel.

But ancient history doesn't really matter. What matters is the fact that Israel has repeatedly offered the Palestinians a two-state solution, and the Palestinians choose instead to reject peace and wage endless war.

If the Palestinians didn't like Israel's offer, there would be nothing wrong with them staying at the negotiating table and countering with a different offer. But it is wrong for the Palestinians to walk away from the negotiating table and turn to violence.

Nice to see a post from you that isn't name-calling. Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 04:13 pm
@BillW,
I used to avoid the topic for fear of getting branded as antisemitic. But since I am not antisemitic I can speak truthfully about apartheid and such. I regret mentioning it here because there goes the thread.
oralloy

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 04:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
Falsely accusing Jews of imaginary atrocities like apartheid shows that you ARE antisemitic, and are therefore rightfully branded as such.
BillW

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 05:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgar, I copied the 1st two sentences directly from you in 2013.

Quote:
I have always avoided any threads concerning Israel and the Palestinians. There is too much vitriol and blame spread around, much of it based in emotion and little to no fact. It is a quagmire I don't want to be in.

I am not antisemitic nor anti-Palestinian also. Always knew this of you:
ie, the quote I made and both of the messages you wrote in this thread today regarding this subject.

BTW, I was making a Google query today that wasn't in the least bit related to this subject or to you and voila, there was your 2013 post! This is the kind of stuff that makes me believe there is a God of some kind that sends us gifts. 🤔😎🤗
BillW

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 05:06 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Falsely accusing Jews of imaginary atrocities like apartheid shows that you ARE antisemitic, and are therefore rightfully branded as such.

Ugly name calling again, your most common modus operandi!
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 05:25 pm
@BillW,
Amazing.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 05:38 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:
Ugly name calling

Nonsense. Denouncing antisemitism is not name-calling.

Edgar should be ashamed of himself for falsely accusing Jews of imaginary atrocities.

BillW wrote:
again, your most common modus operandi!

That's a lie. I only engage in name-calling when retaliating for name-calling that was directed at me first.
0 Replies