Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2024 05:48 pm
@mesquite,
Our situation is different.

The Conservatives have lost Labour are a shoo in for the next government.

That's not the issue.

It's the minority parties. The Liberal Democrats are long established, the modern day evolution of Gladstone and Lloyd George.

They're not a problem, they will pick up lots of riural Tory seats, similarly the Greens are tipped to increase their tally of MPs from one to three or four.

Neither of those is a concern, what is a problem is Nigel Farage's Reform Party, a far right fascist group, as close to the Republican Religious Right as you can get over here, who are tipped to get in the region of 13 seats, which would be a disaster.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2024 06:14 pm
@mesquite,
mesquite wrote:
Why oh why couldn't he have performed like that last night?
my theory -- he was playing possum, give that orange moron a false sense of security...

how else to explain it?
mesquite

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2024 06:55 pm
@Region Philbis,
At the rally he probably had a teleprompter and was reading prepared statements.

If he was playing possum it went on way too long.
blatham

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2024 07:00 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
The Chevron ruling, in my opinion, is even worse than the repeal of Roe.
I think so as well in that it is far more reaching across so many areas of American life.

Quote:
blatham, does Canada have similar regulatory agencies and if so do they face similarly significant well-funded opposition?
Yes, there are many regulatory agencies under the federal government. Predictably, opposition to agencies or agency-related policies/decisions is common. Usually business interests helm such opposition but though we even have similar organizations (the Fraser Institute - predictably pro-fossil fuel and long time GW denier - is probably modeled on the Heritage Foundation) but they are not nearly so powerful or influential as what has developed in the US.

0 Replies

Jo Biden

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2024 07:12 pm
Even the New York Times knows that Trump will win!

To Serve His Country, President Biden Should Leave the Race

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/28/opinion/biden-election-debate-trump.html
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2024 10:11 pm
Trump called war dead losers and suckers. He should step aside as the Republican nominee.

Trump is an adjudicated rapist. He should step aside as the Republican nominee.

Trump has been convicted on 34 felony charges. He should step aside as the Republican nominee.

Trump is charged with inciting an insurrection for trying to disrupt the peaceful transfer of power. He should step aside as the Republican nominee.

Trump willfully retained our most guarded secrets and obstructed the government’s efforts to get them back. He should step aside as the Republican nominee.

A jury has found Trump liable for $454M in disgorgement for fraud. He should step aside as the Republican nominee.

Trump’s business has been convicted on 17 felony counts of tax fraud. He should step aside as the Republican nominee.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2024 02:29 am
It's major league embarrassing.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2024 03:24 am
No we didn't.

We've got our own election going on and the Euros.

You really are clueless.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2024 04:15 am
Quote:
There is huge news today: in the case of Loper Bright Enterprises v. Raimondo, the Supreme Court overturned the Chevron defense doctrine that underpins the administrative state.

I am putting that down as a marker because I’ve had a very busy week of travel and writing (the paperback edition of Democracy Awakening is coming out in October and I am working on a new afterword) and I am just too tired to cover it and its history well tonight.

Instead, tonight I want to make a note of something that has been nagging at me for weeks now: Trump’s focus on 32-year-old Wall Street Journal reporter Evan Gershkovich, who was arrested by Russian officers in March 2023 and is currently on trial for the trumped-up charge of espionage. The State Department considers him “wrongfully detained,” a rare designation indicating that the person is being held by a hostile government as a bargaining chip. That designation means the U.S. government will do all it can to secure his release.

At least three times now, Trump has interfered with those negotiations by vowing that Russian president Vladimir Putin will release Gershkovich for him and him alone. He said it in last night’s CNN debacle, where he also made a big deal out of the idea that Putin will do it as a favor, without an exchange of money.

He said something else last night in his slurry of words that jumped out. Somewhere in his discussion of Putin’s invasion of eastern Ukraine in February 2022, Trump said: “Putin saw that, he said, you know what, I think we’re going to go in and maybe take my—this was his dream. I talked to him about it, his dream.”

Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s 2019 report on Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election explained that Paul Manafort, Trump’s campaign manager and then conduit to Russian operatives, in summer 2016 “discussed a plan to resolve the ongoing political problems in Ukraine by creating an autonomous republic in its more industrialized eastern region of Donbas, and having [Viktor] Yanukovych, the Ukrainian President ousted in 2014, elected to head that republic.”

Manafort had helped to get the pro-Russian oligarch Yanukovych into office, and when Yanukovych fled to Russia after the Ukrainian people threw him out, Manafort was left unemployed and in debt to other oligarchs. When he went to work for Trump, for free, he promptly wrote to his partner Konstantin Kilimnik, whom the Republican-dominated Senate Intelligence Committee identified in 2020 as a Russian operative, asking how “we” could use the appointment “to get whole,” and made sure that the Russian oligarch to whom he owed the most money knew about his close connection with the Trump campaign (p. 135).

The Mueller Report continued: “That plan, Manafort later acknowledged, constituted a ‘backdoor’ means for Russia to control eastern Ukraine” (p. 140). The region that Putin wanted was the country’s industrial heartland. He was offering a “peace” plan that carved off much of Ukraine and made it subservient to him. This was the dead opposite of U.S. policy for a free and united Ukraine, and there was no chance that former secretary of state Hillary Clinton, who was running for the presidency against Trump, would stand for it. But if only Trump were elected….

And, in November 2016, he was.

According to the Republican-dominated Senate Intelligence Committee, Manafort’s partner and Russian operative Kilimnick wrote that "[a]ll that is required to start the process is a very minor 'wink' (or slight push) from D[onald] T[rump] saying 'he wants peace in Ukraine and Donbass back in Ukraine' and a decision to be a 'special representative' and manage this process." Following that, Kilimnik suggested that Manafort ‘could start the process and within 10 days visit Russia ([Yanukovych] guarantees your reception at the very top level, cutting through all the bullsh*t and getting down to business), Ukraine, and key EU capitals.’ The email also suggested that once then–Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko understood this ‘message’ from the United States, the process ‘will go very fast and DT could have peace in Ukraine basically within a few months after inauguration’” (p. 99).

According to the Senate Intelligence Committee, the men continued to work on what they called the “Mariupol Plan” at least until 2018.

In last night’s debate, Trump insisted that Putin never would have invaded Ukraine on his watch (although Putin in fact continued his 2014 assault during Trump’s term, and Trump tried to withhold support for Ukraine).

After Russia invaded Ukraine again in 2022, Jim Rutenberg published a terrific and thorough review of this history in the New York Times Magazine, pointing out that Putin’s attack on Ukraine looked different with this history behind it. Once Biden took office in 2021, the many efforts of the people around Trump, including most obviously Rudy Giuliani, to influence Ukrainian politics through their ties to the White House were over.

“Thirteen months later,” Rutenberg wrote, “Russian tanks crossed the Ukrainian frontier.” Once his troops were there, Putin claimed he had annexed Donetsk, Luhansk, Zaporizhzhia, and Kherson, two of which were specifically named in the Mariupol Plan, and instituted martial law in them, claiming that the people there had voted to join Russia.

Last night, Trump claimed that the Ukrainians are losing the war and described how sad it was that their country is being destroyed (without mentioning that it is Putin’s unprovoked war that is doing that damage). He also significantly exaggerated how much money the U.S. has contributed to Ukraine’s defense.

That misrepresentation lines up with Putin’s offer of Friday, June 14, 2024, in a “peace proposal” to Ukraine: Ukraine would give up Donetsk, Luhansk, Zaporizhzhia, and Kherson, including far more territory than Putin’s troops occupy, in exchange for a ceasefire. Putin said, “If Kyiv and the Western capitals refuse it, as before, then in the end, that’s their…political and moral responsibility for the continuation of bloodshed.” He also demanded an end to all sanctions and that Ukraine abandon its plan to join the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO). (Ukraine president Volodymyr Zelensky rejected the plan and noted that there is no reason to think Putin will stop his land grab once his forces regroup.)

So when Trump last night said about the 2022 invasion, “Putin saw that, he said, you know what, I think we’re going to go in and maybe take my—this was his dream. I talked to him about it, his dream,” it sounded as if he had been in on the Mariupol Plan. And when he talked about how the war needed to end, especially in light of Putin’s recent “peace” plan, it sounded as if perhaps he still is.

And he promised, yet again, that he and he alone could get Gershkovich released.

hcr
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2024 07:00 am
Is that you, lash?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2024 07:03 am
@bobsal u1553115,
It's nonono.

I received a load of abuse this morning.

Lash doesn't do that. It's nononcey.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2024 07:08 am
@mesquite,
A million wives are asking their husbands the same question, but they aren't asking them to pack up and leave.

Four years of solid service as POTUS and he has a bad night at a dog and pony show and he needs to withdraw from the race? Who responded to all questions and corrected a few mis-speaks he had himself immediately.

Where are all the callouts on a convicted felon who well be going to jail in a little over a week? That's facing much more serious charges in two more trials??? His performance at the whatever it was that CNN set up was pretty bad: not responding to questions, bloviating about in every sentence out of his mouth.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2024 09:32 am
@mesquite,
Quote:
At the rally he probably had a teleprompter and was reading prepared statements.
of course he did.

during the debate they had neither, just a pad and pen to jot down notes as they went...
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2024 09:37 am
@vikorr,
Quote:
The power to decide what is truth or lie, and censor it, should not rest in the hands of the most powerful politicians....this is, again, what dictatorships do.

It's not that difficult to identify a lie; people do it all the time. What's wrong with laying out what's known about the source of a specific piece of misinformation, marshaling some evidence and explaining why a statement is not factual? I haven't heard any suggestion of censorship. A social media company could be informed, privately and/or publicly, that it is unwittingly presenting deliberate misinformation. The media company wouldn't necessarily be compelled to remove the material or even label it as "suspect". It could even dispute the charge, but it would also need to provide evidence for its position. If the media company still wishes to allow the material on its platform the public can judge for itself whether it is acting out of respect for free speech or whether it is acting as a propaganda arm of a hostile power, domestic opponents, or is simply perverse. We're not discussing opinions that the government finds objectionable. We're talking about deliberate attempts to mislead the electorate by presenting lies as facts.
vikorr

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2024 04:25 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
It's not that difficult to identify a lie; people do it all the time
Then why are you so concerned about people lying? Seriously, you appear to be arguing just for arguments sake, because your posts make no sense if you believe it is that easy to identify lies (as there would be no need if this were the case, for government intervention, or the removal of disinformation)
-------------
The reality is, it very much depends on the lie & the person hearing it. If it is a lie against actual known facts - that is simple. If :
- a lie about a persons character, that is very difficult. There is a reason defamation is sorted out before a court.
- if the lie is about something that has competing facts, or facts that are hidden from common knowledge, that is difficult
- if the lie is about anything that has subjectivity, that is difficult
...comparitively, saying 1+1=3 is easy to prove as a lie.

Quote:
What's wrong with laying out what's known about the source of a specific piece of misinformation, marshaling some evidence and explaining why a statement is not factual?
Absolutely nothing. The government can do this any time they want, and I've never suggested they couldn't.

Quote:
I haven't heard any suggestion of censorship.
Did the US government not put pressure on the big social media companies to remove 'disinformation'? That is censorship (a system in which an authority limits the ideas that people are allowed to express and prevents books, films, works of art, documents, or other kinds of communication from being seen or made available to the public, because they include or support certain ideas:)

Your ongoing objection seems to be to my suggestion that in a democratic country, due process should exist in censorship (as opposed to allowing the most powerful politicians to personally decide what is a lie, and enabling them to censor the same)
hightor

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2024 03:39 am
@vikorr,
Quote:
Then why are you so concerned about people lying?

Because a lot of people don't readily identify lies and there are social consequences when ill-informed voters are pandered to by lying politicians. I didn't say the practice of determining the truth status of news items and political discourse was universally applied by everyone, all the time, just that it wasn't as difficult as you seemed to imply. I also want to point out that it's not merely a problem of people telling lies, but of hostile governments generating disinformation on an industrial level, and people unwittingly spreading it. Things have changed; the response must meet the new challenge.
Quote:
The reality is...

I have no disagreement with any of this.
Quote:
The government can do this any time they want...

Not without a fight. Any attempt will be fought by political opponents who, using the mantra of "free speech", will work tirelessly to preserve their ability to connect with their base by telling them what they wish to hear, whether it's true or false. (I'll point out that in the US, many of those clamoring loudly for "free speech', are the first to advocate removing books from libraries.)
Quote:
Did the US government not put pressure on the big social media companies to remove 'disinformation'?

Not exactly. The lies were still easily disseminated through other media sources and accessible to anyone who sought them or was directed to those sites. No fines were levied, no one went to jail. Hell, the right-wing Supreme Court even stated that...
Quote:
...the court said that the plaintiffs could not prove that communications between the Biden administration and social media companies resulted in “direct censorship injuries.” In the majority opinion for Murthy v. Missouri, Justice Amy Coney Barrett wrote that “the evidence indicates that the platforms had independent incentives to moderate content and often exercised their own judgment.”

While it is the government’s responsibility to make sure it refrains from jawboning—the practice in which governments and leaders appeal to the public in an effort to influence the behavior of private companies, and in ways that potentially violate free speech—Kate Ruane, director of the free expression project at the Center for Democracy and Technology, says that there are very valid reasons why government agencies might need to communicate with platforms.

“Communication between the government, social media platforms, and government entities is critical in providing information that social media companies can use to ensure social media users have authoritative information about where you're supposed to go to vote, or what to do in an emergency, or all of those things,” she says. “It is very useful for the government to have partnerships with social media to get that accurate information out there.” source

Quote:

Your ongoing objection seems to be to my suggestion that in a democratic country, due process should exist in censorship...

I'm not advocating censorship. I would like to see a rational process where particularly dangerous false stories are identified and publicized, with information on the source of the material, analysis of the claim, evidence to the contrary presented, accompanied by a clear explanation of the danger posed by the disinformation. While this is what good journalists already do, the news market is also full of propaganda outlets – which much of the public prefers. A public interest site could function the way Snopes currently does, without censoring anyone. No, I don't want to depend on Congress to pass legislation – an elected government already has limited power to perform this function.

vikorr

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2024 04:07 am
@hightor,
Quote:
I would like to see a rational process where particularly dangerous false stories are identified and publicized, with information on the source of the material, analysis of the claim, evidence to the contrary presented, accompanied by a clear explanation of the danger posed by the disinformation.
That would be a good way of handling such things (and as per my previous response - they can do this any time they like)
hightor

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2024 04:31 am
@vikorr,
And as per my previous response - not without a fight. Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2024 08:53 am
AAF to publish dossiers of employees they consider hostile to ex-president, with goal of ultimately replacing them

Trump loyalists plan to name and shame ‘blacklist’ of federal workers
Quote:
Armed with rhetoric about the “deep state”, a conservative-backed group is planning to publicly name and shame career government employees that they consider hostile to Donald Trump.

This “blacklist” of civil servants, which will be published online, is intended to advance Trump’s broader goals, which, if elected, include weeding out government employees and replacing them with loyalists.
[...]
In recent years, AAF has focused its efforts on derailing Biden’s political appointments. Now, according to a press release, the AAF is getting to work on a new mission: “Project Sovereignty 2025”.

Backed with a $100,000 grant from the Heritage Foundation, an influential rightwing thinktank, AAF will compile information, including social media posts, about civil servants they suspect will “obstruct and sabotage a future conservative president”. They plan to publish dossiers on those non-public facing individuals, starting with the Department of Homeland Security, and expose them to scrutiny.

“WE ARE DECLARING WAR ON THE DEEP STATE,” AAF wrote in a post on Twitter/X earlier this week.

News of the project has reportedly sent alarm bells ringing among the civil service community, and it’s the latest sign that Trump and his allies are seeking to wrest control of Washington DC, which they believe has been overrun by their opponents.

The American Federation of Government Employees, the largest federal employee union (and which has endorsed Joe Biden), described Project Sovereignty 2025 as “an intimidation tactic to try to menace federal workers and sow fear”.

“Civil servants are required to take an oath to the Constitution,” they wrote on X. “Not a loyalty test to a president.”

Project Sovereignty 2025 has also drawn comparisons to the anti-communist blacklisting techniques employed during the McCarthy era.
... ... ...
NSFW (view)