Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2024 06:50 am
https://images.dailykos.com/images/1281375/story_image/1677ckCOMICnytnewsroom.png
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2024 07:18 am
https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/YUBBPUGFAUI63EHGY2YGQNKNUM.jpg
0 Replies

Bogulum

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2024 02:41 pm
I just watched Nicole Wallace saying that she is now at a place where she is acknowledging that Donald Trump has very probably achieved his “get out of jail free” card - that he has successfully stalled, obfuscated, and bribed his way out of being held accountable before the election, and probably forever.

It was cleansing, in a way, for me to hear her just go ahead and admit that.

For me, it was a lot easier on my nerves to hear her say that, than to watch as she engages again with her endless lineup of political and legal talking heads hashing through all the intricacies and implications of each charge, and every speech, and etc. (although she went right back to it).

Just ‘Well it looks like he’s gonna get away with everything’.

Succinct. Direct. Honest. Refreshing.

Comments?

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2024 02:56 pm
Former Vice President Mike Pence will not endorse Trump in 2024

Source: CNBC

Former Vice President Mike Pence said Friday that he would not endorse his former boss for president, as Trump seeks another term in office.

“I will not be endorsing Donald Trump this year,” Pence said on Fox News.

Trump “is pursuing and articulating an agenda that is at odds with the conservative agenda that we governed on during our four years,” Pence continued.

The startling announcement came as Trump secured enough Republican delegates this week to clinch the party’s nomination.

Read more: https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/15/former-vice-president-mike-pence-will-not-endorse-trump-for-president.html
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2024 03:40 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Just saw that on an NPR notification on my phone. Will more Republicans of similar ranking won't follow suit? Or are we going through another round of lying Never Trumpers??
blatham

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2024 04:00 pm
Quote:
There is no cavalry coming. No miracle solution. No saviors.

In the end, we, the American people - not any of our institutions - have to save our democracy by voting in defense of that democracy this fall.
Eric Holder
blatham

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2024 04:04 pm
Attention: georgeob
Quote:
“In our nation’s 246-year history, there has never been an individual who is a greater threat to our republic than Donald Trump."

-Former VP Dick Cheney
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2024 04:19 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Former Vice President Mike Pence will not endorse Trump in 2024

Likewise:
George W Bush
Dick Cheney
Mitt Romney
Paul Ryan
(and many other senior Republicans including many who worked with/under Trump during his term in office)
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2024 04:50 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
...by voting in defense of that democracy this fall.

There could be a skirmish. The vigilante "ballot security" poll watchers will be out in force.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2024 05:39 pm
Russia votes today in an election Putin will win.

Apparently dictatorships that have sham elections last longer than those who don't.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2024 05:42 pm
@izzythepush,
Over 50% of the world's population will have an election, of dubious fairness, this year.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2024 05:46 pm
"Failed Communist governments" had no problems kicking Georgebob's sorry arse out of Vietnam.

Ho Chi Minh!
Ho Chi Minh!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2024 06:40 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
...by voting in defense of that democracy this fall.

There could be a skirmish. The vigilante "ballot security" poll watchers will be out in force.

I am definitely worried about that possibility. And I'm not less worried about what bad faith legal actors in red states and do-or-die politicos along with rightwing media will get up to given a Biden win. Can anyone imagine Trump and his supporters will behave better than they did last election?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2024 06:41 pm
Quote:
“The grift from this family is breathtaking. Jared Kushner and Ivanka Kushner walk out of the WH and months later get $2 billion from the Saudis. Do you think it’s because he’s some kind of investing genius?”

Chris Christie
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2024 09:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
There's been quite a few so far. Cheney and Romney and you can bet the former head of the GOP.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2024 04:24 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
There is no cavalry coming. No miracle solution. No saviors.

In the end, we, the American people - not any of our institutions - have to save our democracy by voting in defense of that democracy this fall.
Eric Holder

I suspect Trump and his minions are no longer focusing on winning the election the regular way and, instead, intend to insure Trump's election by getting the election thrown into the House of Representatives...where a win by Trump would almost be a given. (The new House, no matter who controls it, will almost certainly have more red states than blue states...and each state gets only one vote.)

Getting the election thrown into the House, if Trump loses, is a lot easier than most people think. All they would have to do is to get a few closely contested states to improvise objections to their counts...and perhaps send competing elector certificates to Washington. Or, during the count, an objection may be sustained.

In any case, we are royally screwed. The Electoral College system, which was necessitated by slavers...is not democratic.
blatham

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2024 07:21 am
@Frank Apisa,
I'm definitely not hopeless about the election, Frank, but I certainly am more worried than I've ever been about the consequences if Trump was to win (it's no small surprise that I find myself in the company of Dick Cheney).

And even if Trump is defeated and any post-election gambits to keep him in power fail, we're still left with the wide range of factors that have facilitated the frightening degradation/corruption of the American right.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2024 08:19 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I'm definitely not hopeless about the election, Frank, but I certainly am more worried than I've ever been about the consequences if Trump was to win (it's no small surprise that I find myself in the company of Dick Cheney).

And even if Trump is defeated and any post-election gambits to keep him in power fail, we're still left with the wide range of factors that have facilitated the frightening degradation/corruption of the American right.

Win or lose, it can reasonably be asserted that the war has already been lost.

Way too many people favor a dictatorship of some degree for a democracy to remain prime. The cracks have already widened to a point where there is so much leakage, repair is not the answer. A new vessel is needed.

Like it or not...WE will be considered the generation when the destruction of the American experiment in democracy began.

The fact that Trump is not already in prison is proof that the democratic form of justice simply does not work...that there are some, whether due to money or position...who are not treated the same as those of us not so situated.

Maybe humanity is just not ready for this move. There has always been a lead dog in every society...and a mongrel has asserted its dominance in ours.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2024 08:40 am
https://i.imgur.com/FjdIYu7.jpeg
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2024 08:55 am
https://i.imgur.com/o3nykvN.png
0 Replies