Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

izzythepush

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2024 07:49 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

The party’s hostile vibe can also be traced back to a habit in the Bush years to distinguish between “real America” (the places that vote Republican) and what is presumably unreal America.

I think it goes back further than that.

Reagan was the one who changed broadcast laws to remove balance, paving the way for networks like Fox News.

He also reached out to fundamentalist Christians, the so called "moral majority."
hightor

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2024 08:13 am
@izzythepush,
Do the parties in the UK exhibit anything similar? Is there a politically active "religious right"? I know that the Brexit campaign opened up some fissures and I know that there's a rural "lobby " but do you hear things like "the real Great Britain" used as a way to write off large segments of the population?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2024 08:14 am
https://image.caglecartoons.com/282140/800/nikki-haley-challenges-trump-to-debate.png
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2024 08:23 am
@hightor,
The book review Europe's Post-Religious Right gives some insights about the situation in France and Germany.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2024 09:04 am
@hightor,
Not really. Britain is not very religious.

Tony Blair famously refused to answer when asked if he prayed with George W Bush.

The phrase "real Great Britain," does not exist.

We're all too nationalistic for that, real Scotland, Wales, England maybe but even then it's too divisive.

Scots don't want to alienate other Scots.

We have an established church, Bishops sit in the House of Lords but they tend to be quite muted.

The big religious story now is whether it's profane for the Church to have a silent disco in Canterbury Cathedral.

( That's like our Vatican.)
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2024 09:07 am
“Aren’t You Late for a Klan Meeting?”: Representative Jim McGovern Condemns Marjorie Taylor Greene’s Time-Wasting Antics

Story by Matthew Andrews • 21h

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/aren-t-you-late-for-a-klan-meeting-representative-jim-mcgovern-condemns-marjorie-taylor-greene-s-time-wasting-antics/ss-BB1i5qRB?ocid=msedgntp&pc=LCTS&cvid=b25dbc175a3a4e6a88bc9e4976d29353&ei=10

In a clear example of the current tensions within the United States Congress, a heated argument unfolded between Democratic Representative Jim McGovern and far-right Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene. The dispute centered around Greene’s proposals. This includes a resolution to impeach Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas and a motion to censure Representative Ilhan Omar.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2024 09:17 am
@izzythepush,
I can't post links on this device, but there is a phrase "Middle England" which is supposed to represent the small c conservative mainstream.

That's about the closest there is to a religious right.

Btw, I don't consider myself British, I'm English.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2024 09:28 am
@izzythepush,
There is - open access! - a chapter about the Christian Right in the UK online.

Basically, Hatcher says what izzy already posted: the influence and visibility of the religious right (= conservative Christian movements, often referred to as the "religious right") in the UK is small.
Glennn

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2024 09:34 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Of those, Japan has the most, followed by China.

Um, yeah, I'm the one who posted information to correct your belief that it was China. It's Japan! Why are you repeating me?
hightor

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2024 09:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks for this link and the one to the "Godless Crusade".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2024 09:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Trump threatened to encourage Russia to attack NATO members who do not meet their financial obligations.
NATO's secretary general Jens Stoltenberg says Nato "ready and able to defend all allies", after Trump invited Russia to attack member countries.

Nato chief promises ‘forceful response’ to any attack, as Trump remarks dismissed
Quote:
The Nato chief, Jens Stoltenberg, has said that any attack on the western military alliance would be met with a “united and forceful response”, after the former US president Donald Trump invited Russia to attack member countries he perceived as not meeting their financial obligations.

Stoltenberg said in a statement: “Any suggestion that allies will not defend each other undermines all of our security, including that of the US, and puts American and European soldiers at increased risk. I expect that regardless of who wins the presidential election, the US will remain a strong and committed Nato ally.”

He said Nato remained “ready and able to defend all allies”.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2024 10:20 am
@Walter Hinteler,
EU Commissioner Thierry Breton told LCI on Sunday that Trump's stance was not new. "Maybe he has memory problems," Breton commented on the Republican's story in South Carolina. He apparently has other information about the meeting described by Trump: "It was actually a female president, not of a country, but of the EU," said Breton, referring to Commission President Ursula von der Leyen.

In January, Breton himself reported on a meeting between Trump and von der Leyen in Davos in 2020. According to Breton, Trump said: "By the way, Nato is dead and we will leave it, we will leave Nato." LCI en direct

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2024 10:26 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Not sure if you've read EJ Dionne's column of today, but the truth of it is almost painful. I suggest everyone read it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/02/11/republicans-trump-congress-lankford/

Yes, it is very good.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2024 11:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Basically, Hatcher says what izzy already posted: the influence and visibility of the religious right (= conservative Christian movements, often referred to as the "religious right") in the UK is small.

Likewise the case here in Canada even though there is a presence here (often tied to the US religious right operations).
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2024 11:30 am
@izzythepush,
What I noticed on the wiki page for Middle England, was that, although the first use of the phrase was by the Marquess of Salisbury in the 19C, the phrase didn't become part of popular parlance until it was adopted by Thatcher, about the same time Reagan was embracing the rel8gious right.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2024 11:32 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Btw, I don't consider myself British, I'm English.

Which is why the term "British accent" is so annoying.

There's no such thing, people either have an English, Scots or Welsh accent.

There's no pan British accent that sounds Welsh, English and Scots at the same time.
blatham

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2024 11:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Trump threatened to encourage Russia to attack NATO members who do not meet their financial obligations.

Gosh. I hope Putin won't attack ex-Presidents who do not meet their financial obligations.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2024 11:41 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Which is why the term "British accent" is so annoying.

There's no such thing, people either have an English, Scots or Welsh accent.
Similar, and that annoys me: there is no "German Bratwurst".
Every region has its own bratwurst: Coburger, Franconian, Hessian, North German, Nuremberg, Silesian, Thuringian and, and, and... There are about 50 different varieties in Germany alone. (And then every butcher has his own recipe.)
izzythepush

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2024 11:47 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I'm very particular about my sausages.

I make a special trip to Owtons to get their chipolatas, none of the others taste as good.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2024 01:33 pm
"Real English" or Welsh or Scots couldn't have the same impact.

America was established by a group of people who professed certain values.

England was formed by the merging of Anglo Saxon and Danish kingdoms.

What made us English was not being Welsh or Scots, or French even.

There's no values or principles to adhere to, it's a case of being born here, descended from settlers over 1000 years ago.

Talk of real English has racist overtones, because only imigrants would fail this description.

Norman Tebbit caused a furore when he told some Asian women that they were British, but they couldn't be English, English meaning white.
0 Replies