Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Lash

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2024 08:49 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

60% of Haley'd supporters say they vote for Biden before they vote for Mango Jebus.

Because Biden & Haley are both the most bloodthirsty Zionists in the race. Since there’s no real difference in the two D & R corporations, it makes sense.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2024 08:50 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I’ll be voting for Jill Stein.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2024 08:54 am
Let's also keep in mind: only 14% of Iowa voters bothered to show up.
blatham

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2024 09:00 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
@Lash
...you really don't support Jill Stein.

Of course not. Nor was her short-lived support for Bernie Sanders sincere. Everything she writes is designed to derogate Democrats. Everything.

Her bad faith is clearly evident also in her comments and links regarding media sources. Above she demeans MSNBC news' decision to not carry Hitler's speech as "authoritarian" while 2 or 3 pages back she quotes/links the New York Post. Has anyone ever seen her criticize Fox in any substantive or studied way?

Has anyone ever seen her lay out critical analyses of the Federalist Society? Or the Koch network? Or Steve Bannon's connections with the European far right? How about Netanyahu or Putin or Bolsonaro or any other authoritarian leader presently in office?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2024 09:04 am
Quote:
Steve Rosenberg@BBCSteveR
Jan 14
This morning an electronic billboard on my way to work is displaying this Putin quote: “Russia’s borders do not end anywhere.”

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GD3TA2Ga0AA0rG_?format=jpg&name=small
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2024 09:05 am
@bobsal u1553115,
That’s a sad American problem compounded by hideous weather.

But, what’s your point? Trump won decisively—despite almost a decade of assassination by ‘judicial means’, media suppression, an outright war on him by agencies, media, etc.

He fundraised off his mug shot—quite successfully.

Message to D establishment: most of the country hates you.
blatham

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2024 09:06 am
Quote:
Judd Legum@JuddLegum
1h
1. The leaders of a
@Moms4Liberty
chapter in South Carolina are starting their OWN PUBLIC CHARTER SCHOOL, fully funded by taxpayers

The curriculum is "the red [MAGA] hat in textbook form."

The school is structured to avoid any oversight and accountability from the state
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2024 09:16 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Equivocate facts, distract from facts, suppress facts, outright lie about facts.

All of which are part and parcel of Trump's "speeches".
Quote:

It’s not been working for Democrats, the media, or their sycophants.

But it has worked very well for Trump.
Quote:
Biden’s popularity in the low to mid-30s now?

That's true. And while the anger from Democrats over longstanding US policy which unquestioningly supports Israel is a concern, his poll numbers have never been particularly high. And a lot of that is because he gets blamed for the worldwide inflation that occurred as a direct result of a global pandemic which a lot of sullen, angry, misled voters conveniently forget.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2024 09:26 am
Quote:
Ron Filipkowski@RonFilipkowski
2h
56,000 Iowans voted for Trump. That’s 0.000168% of the population of the country. But the internet dudes are already picking out drapes for the new concentration camps.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2024 09:38 am
Hightor.

It’s because he makes campaign promises he has no intention of keeping; he steals American’s taxes and gives it to other countries—bypassing congress twice to do that; he’s obviously guilty of pocketing millions in shady influence peddling using the name of every Biden in the greater Delaware area; and the pièce de résistance: he’s facilitating the on-going murder of thousands of innocent families and actually trying to gaslight the world in harsh bloody daylight about it.

He has given the world many colossal reasons to hate him.

I am also concerned about what newly super-Zionist Trump will do, but I SEE what Biden IS doing.

There’s no realistic defense. Why do you feel compelled to try to fabricate one?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2024 09:38 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

But, what’s your point? Trump won decisively—despite almost a decade of assassination by ‘judicial means’, media suppression, an outright war on him by agencies, media, etc.

I thought you said you didn't like Trump.

There was no "judicial assasination," instead well over a decade of criminal behaviour.

Or do you think forcibly sticking your fingers in a 14 year old girl's vagina is laudable behaviour and something worthy of boasting about?

Message to the rest of the world. Republicans hate you, they want to destroy the planet and butcher your children.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2024 09:44 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

60% of Haley'd supporters say they vote for Biden before they vote for Mango Jebus.

Let's hope that works out that way.

I am hoping for a Joe Biden landslide, but I cannot discount the chances of Trump winning.

It would be GREAT if a decent percentage of Republican voters do switch to Trump when this thing finishes. Trump's decision on a running mate will be an important factor.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2024 09:44 am
The Baltimore Sun has just been bought by David D. Smith, chairman of right wing media group, Sinclair. Smith is also a big funder to Project Veritas, Turning Point USA and Moms For Liberty.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2024 10:02 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Quote:
Lash wrote:

My goodness.

There are a great number of ways in which Lash reveals her actual political ideas and her real intentions in posting here but this post makes those ideas and intentions perfectly transparent.
hightor

@Lash,
Quote:
It’s because he makes campaign promises he has no intention of keeping

Well, he'd need a cooperative Congress and a Supreme Court that wasn't controlled by judicial hacks selected by Leonard Leo. Given political reality, he's actually accomplished quite a lot.
Quote:
he steals [steals???] American’s taxes and gives it to other countries—bypassing congress twice to do that

Congress gave the president the power to make those decisions.
Quote:
he’s obviously guilty of pocketing millions in shady influence peddling using the name of every Biden in the greater Delaware area

You really need to provide some evidence for that – and not from the Gateway Pundit.
Quote:
he’s facilitating the on-going murder of thousands of innocent families and actually trying to gaslight the world in harsh bloody daylight about it.

Supporting the Israeli state, regardless of the political party in power, has been US policy for more than 80 years. Perhaps that will change at some point but any US president would have acted the same given our commitments to that country's defense.
Quote:
Why do you feel compelled to try to fabricate one?

Are you saying that the economic fallout from the pandemic didn't happen?

The President is not Superman

Tom Nichols wrote:
President Joe Biden is trying to run for reelection on a record of policy successes. In modern American politics, this is a nonstarter: Many Americans no longer tie policy successes or failures to individual politicians. Instead, they decide what they like or don’t like and then assign blame or credit based on whom they already love or hate. Donald Trump understands this problem and exploits it. Whatever his other emotional and intellectual failings, he has always grasped that many American voters now want a superhero, not a president.

The public’s cultish fascination with celebrity is not a new problem, but it’s getting worse. Back in 1992, I was a young professor living in New Hampshire. I was teaching political science back in those days, but I had several years of practical experience from working in city, state, and federal politics. Nonetheless, I was unprepared for the madness that settles over the Granite State during the presidential primaries. I went to several events, and I started to worry about how dysfunctionally Americans regard the office of the chief executive.

As various contenders—including the right-wing populist Pat Buchanan—made their way through the state, I got to hear voters directly addressing the candidates. As far as I could tell, they had one overriding message for the people contending to be the Leader of the Free World at a time of tremendous global instability, and it sounded something like this:

I am an unemployed pipe fitter from Laconia, and I would like to know when you’re going to get me a job.

Say what you will about Bill Clinton, but he got it. He’d bite his lip and exude kilocalories of well-practiced empathy. George H. W. Bush—who defeated Massachusetts Governor Mike Dukakis four years earlier by depicting the Duke as a liberal android with antifreeze in his veins—took his turn in the barrel, checking his watch during a debate and trying to get across a message of caring by saying “Message: I care.”

I always knew that a fair number of voters would form “parasocial” relationships with presidents, a phenomenon—one that is perfectly normal, within limits—in which people think they are connected to, and know, celebrities. What I was not prepared for, however, was to see up close how ordinary citizens think of the American president as Superman (or, if you prefer, the Green Lantern), a nearly omnipotent being who can create new realities through sheer willpower. In 1992, and again during the less contentious 1996 election, I came to understand better how the presidency in the postwar era—and especially during the Cold War—had become so large and its reach so broad that the glare of its powers wiped out the ability of voters to see any office below it.

When I would sit through events in northern New England, I was stunned that the local citizenry seemed unaware of any other level or branch of government. As an occasional talking head on New Hampshire television, I would sometimes try to engage some of these folks. I would ask: Do you have a mayor? A city council? Who is your state representative? (New Hampshire has one of the smallest ratios of voters to legislators in its House of Representatives in the union.) Have you called your state senator? What about the governor? How about your member of Congress?

Sometimes, people knew who these other officials were, and sometimes they didn’t. But in the end, there was an unshakeable faith that if you were unemployed in New Hampshire, the buck stopped in Washington, D.C.

Let’s not be too harsh in blaming the voters. Politicians—in America and elsewhere— encourage this view by doing what politicians do, taking credit for everything good that happens in the nation and sticking blame for the bad stuff on their opponents. It’s a stupid and dangerous game. When it works, it’s magic. Crime fell on your watch? Of course it did; well done, Mr. President. A new wonder drug was developed? You did that, sir. But when things go bad, the temptation to evade blame is overwhelming.

Worse, partisans have every interest in catastrophizing the state of the nation: No one runs on a slogan of “Hey, things are basically okay but we can do better.” Instead, they seek to convince voters in each cycle that the nation is a hot mess and that their nominee for president is the savior who can fix everything—even the stuff that isn’t broken. (Ironically, voters generally don’t care about the one area over which presidents do have nearly full control, foreign policy, unless it’s related to terrorism.)

Republicans, in particular, are the masters at continuously depicting the country as a hellhole and then arguing that the only recourse is to have more hailing to the chief. Their position is rooted in both bad faith and logic: The GOP is becoming a minority party, and it knows that the peculiar path through the Electoral College to the White House is the best hope for exercising national power. But make no mistake: Democrats, too, have an obsession with the presidency. The scholar Mark Lilla calls this the Democratic “daddy complex,” the belief that the president is a father figure who can solve all our problems—which is why so many Democrats show up for presidential elections and then ignore almost everything else.

Trump has played to both sides of the Superman/daddy concept, encouraging a cult of personality that endows one man with saintly powers—a man who never has to deliver, and who can never fail but can only be failed by others. (Trump reportedly wanted to emerge from his COVID treatment at Walter Reed hospital by unveiling a Superman emblem under his shirt.) His GOP competitors still refuse to recognize the irrationality of the Trump cult; in the primary debates, they have argued over policies, as if those matter. Only Vivek Ramaswamy has tried to replicate the Trump celebrity dynamic, but cults do not transfer well and his featherweight Trumpism has had limited appeal even within the GOP.

Biden, meanwhile, has clumsily tried to play the personality game by branding good economic news as “Bidenomics.” Ironically, Biden actually can take at least some credit for the economy (as an extension of his legislative successes), but tacking his name onto economic conditions when voters flatly refuse to draw that connection is a risky and hollow move that cannot even begin to break through the noise of Trump’s blood-and-soil fascism and cries for social and cultural vengeance.

Cults of personality are always a danger in mass politics, and never more so than when unscrupulous opportunists such as Donald Trump or Viktor Orbán or Recep Tayipp Erdoğan warp democratic politics by fusing the idea of the nation to themselves. The world is living through an authoritarian revival, despite some democratic successes (in Poland, most recently). America should be the example to other democracies; instead, years of glorifying individual leaders of both parties have left voters in the United States with an unrealistic understanding of the presidency and its powers—a civic weakness that Trump is exploiting every day on the campaign trail.

atlantic

0 Replies

Lash

@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Lash wrote:

Quote:
I’m finding myself in a weird small group that feels comfortable telling the truth about people I don’t like, just because it’s the truth. It’s like free speech to me—even though I may hate your opinion, I don’t want your right to speak taken from you because that puts my right to speech in jeopardy. Terrible Trump has been attacked illegally and unethically in an underhanded attempt to prevent democracy. The powers behind this collapsing Hindenburg do not want the voters to decide this election. If they can’t prevent his election with court shenanigans, I think he’ll have an accident.

Trump is a joke as president.
Biden is a much more deadly criminal.

There was no "judicial assasination," instead well over a decade of criminal behaviour.
Quote:
Biden makes Trump look like Baby Jesus.

Or do you think forcibly sticking your fingers in a 14 year old girl's vagina is laudable behaviour and something worthy ofboasting.
Quote:
Sounds like gossip. I’ve never heard anything like that. Has that been proven? Meanwhile, Biden’s daughter was 14 when he showered with her? She made that accusation.

Message to the rest of the world. Republicans hate you, they want to destroy the planet and butcher your children.
Quote:
R & D are both supporting the recent deployments of our service personnel to help Israel defend their genocide and the related fallout. R are more into controlling our books, sex, reproduction, education—D control how your news is slanted or suppressed, what you can say / speech, and using govt agencies to control / punish / censor citizens.

They both love endless wars, but Biden’s behavior has done more damage to the environment than any single president in the past few decades.

They’re morphing into one party. Hitler will be twirling in his grave with envy.

hightor

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2024 10:05 am
@Lash,
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.ahk4D15ItWoJJyLIF6LMuAHaEK%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=7aac119a4be3ab4486e0d40bdef58b59c14c4ef7cfbf5a27b39c86ebede2ffe0&ipo=images
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2024 10:16 am
Details, details, details

Quote:
Dr. Kristy Parker@KPNatsFan
4h
Why doesn’t every news story about Trump note that he’s an adjudicated sex offender? E Jean Carroll doesn’t “say” he raped her. A jury found that Trump committed acts that would constitute rape or aggravated sexual abuse under most state laws.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2024 10:17 am
@Lash,
(Can you work on formatting your responses? By responding within someone else's quote, which already contains quoted posts, it can be difficult to tell which comments are yours. There are several ways you can improve your formatting – breaking the quote up into individual statements and responding to those, or changing the font color of your comments would work.)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2024 10:18 am
@Lash,
Trump is on tape boasting about grabbing them by the pussy.

Trump wants to destroy the planet, exterminate Mexico, give Europe to Putin and kill anyone who disagrees with him.

Biden is no worse than any other president.

Trump is a vile Nazi piece of ****.