Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

blatham

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2023 12:25 pm
A Frontline piece on the assassination of Rabin and Netanyahu's role in this...
HERE
hightor

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2023 02:36 pm
Mike Johnson, theocrat: the House speaker and a plot against America

Second-in-line to the presidency, the Republican makes claims about the constitution and Christianity, and his wish to impose his faith on others, that do not withstand serious scrutiny

Quote:
The new House speaker, Mike Johnson, knows how he will rule: according to his Bible. When asked on Fox News how he would make public policy, he replied: “Well, go pick up a Bible off your shelf and read it. That’s my worldview.” But it’s taking time for the full significance of that statement to sink in. Johnson is in fact a believer in scriptural originalism, the view that the Bible is the truth and the sole legitimate source for public policy.

He was most candid about this in 2016, when he declared: “You know, we don’t live in a democracy” but a “biblical” republic. Chalk up his elevation to the speakership as the greatest victory so far within Congress for the religious right in its holy war to turn the US government into a theocracy.

Since his fellow Republicans made him their leader, numerous articles have reported Johnson’s religiously motivated, far-right views on abortion, same-sex marriage and LGBTQ+ rights. But that barely scratches the surface. Johnson was a senior lawyer for the extremist Alliance Defending Fund (later the Alliance Defending Freedom) from 2002 to 2010. This is the organization responsible for orchestrating the 303 Creative v Elenis legal arguments to obtain a ruling from the supreme court permitting a wedding website designer to refuse to do business with gay couples. It also played a significant role in annulling Roe v Wade.

The ADF has always been opposed to privacy rights, abortion and birth control. Now Roe is gone, the group is laying the groundwork to end protection for birth control. Those who thought Roe would never be overruled should understand that the reasoning in Dobbs v Jackson is not tailored to abortion. Dobbs was explicitly written to be the legal fortress from which the right will launch their attacks against other fundamental rights their extremist Christian beliefs reject. They are passionate about rolling back the right to contraception, the right to same-sex marriage and the right to sexual privacy between consenting adults.

Johnson’s inerrant biblical truth leads him to reject science. Johnson was a “young earth creationist”, holding that a literal reading of Genesis means that the earth is only a few thousand years old and humans walked alongside dinosaurs. He has been the attorney for and partner in Kentucky’s Creation Museum and Ark amusement park, which present these beliefs as scientific fact, a familiar sleight of hand where the end (garnering more believers) justifies the means (lying about science). For them, the end always justifies the means. That’s why they don’t even blink when non-believers suffer for their dogma.

Setting aside all of these wildly extreme, religiously motivated policy preferences, there is a more insidious threat to America in Johnson’s embrace of scriptural originalism: his belief that subjective interpretation of the Bible provides the master plan for governance. Religious truth is neither rational nor susceptible to reasoned debate. For Johnson, who sees a Manichean world divided between the saved who are going to heaven and the unsaved going to hell, there is no middle ground. Constitutional politics withers and is replaced with a battle of the faithful against the infidels. Sound familiar? Maybe in Tehran or Kabul or Riyadh. But in America?

When rulers insist the law should be driven by a particular religious viewpoint, they are systematizing their beliefs and imposing a theocracy. We have thousands of religious sects in the US and there is no religious majority, but we now have a politically fervent conservative religious movement of Christian nationalists intent on shaping policy to match their understanding of God and theirs alone. The Republicans who elected Johnson speaker, by a unanimous vote, have aligned themselves with total political rule by an intolerant religious sect.

The philosopher and theologian Søren Kierkegaard eloquently explained that religion is a “leap of faith”, not susceptible to reasoned discourse. The framers of the constitution and Bill of Rights thought the same. Under the first amendment, Americans have an absolute right to believe anything we choose and courts may not second-guess whether a believer’s truth is supported in reason or fact. For a believer, their belief is their “truth”, but for the republic, it is simply one of millions of beliefs across a country where all are free to believe. Thus, a scriptural originalist is by definition incapable of public policy discussions with those who do not share their faith.

The grand irony is that being a “scriptural originalist” is oxymoronic. The colonies were first populated by those fleeing the theocracies of Europe – a fact the founders knew and respected. Millions were killed during the Reformation, the Counter-Reformation and the Spanish and Roman inquisitions, because only one faith could rule. Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth, as well as many other kings and queens, ordered apostates killed, imprisoned or exiled. Current theocracies underscore this historical reality. The Pilgrims fled England because they were at risk of punishment and even death for observing the wrong faith. So did the Quakers, Baptists and Presbyterians. Despite the ahistorical attempts of rightwing ideologues to claim we are or were a monolithic “Christian country”, this was always a religiously diverse country, and they did not all get along at first. Jews arrived in 1654. Early establishments faded away in the early 19th century as they could not be sustained in the face of our diversity.

The primary drafter of the first amendment, James Madison, was keenly aware of these realities as he reflected on the dangerous history of theocracies in his famous Memorial and Remonstrance, opposing Virginia taxes for Christian education, asking: “Who does not see that the same authority which can establish Christianity, in exclusion of all other religions, may establish with the same ease any particular sect of Christians, in exclusion of all other sects?”

Madison further invoked the Inquisition, stating that a bill funding religious education through taxes “degrades from the equal rank of citizens all those whose opinions in religion do not bend to those of the legislative authority. Distant as it may be in its present form from the Inquisition, it differs from it only in degree. The one is the first step, the other the last in the career of intolerance.” US history is proving him correct.

Johnson isn’t just talking about a tax to support his brand of Christian nationalism, though the right’s religious movement, with the approval of the supreme court, has gone all out to ensure that as many tax dollars flow to their mission as possible. Johnson has asserted the hackneyed conservative theory of original intent – that the constitution must be interpreted precisely according to what the founders said – but with a twist. According to Johnson, George Washington and John Adams and all the others “told us that if we didn’t maintain those 18th-century values, that the republic would not stand, and this is the condition we find ourselves in today”. The founders, according to Johnson, were scriptural originalists and he’s here to take us back to their “true” Christian beliefs. In fact, the founders’ 18th-century enlightenment values directly repudiate Johnson’s 21st-century theocratic dogma.

The Constitutional Convention itself shows how little support there is for the view that America started from a dogma-soaked worldview. During debates, Benjamin Franklin proposed bringing in a member of the clergy to guide them with prayer. Only three or four out of 55 framers agreed. The matter was dropped.

Less than a decade ago, it looked like the religious right had lost the culture wars. The turning point seemed to be the decision in Obergefell v Hodges in 2015, which established same-sex marriage as a constitutional right. “It’s about everything,” Focus on the Family’s James Dobson mourned, “We lost the entire culture war with that one decision.”

But instead of surrendering, the truest believers vowed to supplant democracy. They doubled down on furiously grabbing political power, to force everyone else to live their religious lives. Led by the likes of Leonard Leo, a reactionary Catholic theocrat who is chair of the Federalist Society’s board of directors, Dobson and many other Republicans, including the then little-known Mike Johnson, remade the supreme court and instituted stringent religious litmus tests for Republican candidates. Unable to control the culture, they have mounted a legal-political crusade against all who refuse to embrace their religious worldview.

In little over a year, since Dobbs, the theocrats have converted their belief in the divinity of the fetus and disdain for the life of the pregnant into law, in one Republican-dominated state after another. But that is just a preview. Johnson and his crusaders would like to insert their scriptural originalism into every nook and cranny of federal law and public policy, to create a blanket of religious hegemony. Conservative governors and legislators have shamelessly invoked their God as the legislative purpose behind such draconian limitations.

In the US, the peaceful coexistence of thousands of faiths was made possible in great part by the separation of church and state, which was demanded by Baptists in Massachusetts, Virginia and other places where they were being ostracized, taxed, flogged, imprisoned and even killed for their beliefs. That separation, which is the wall that protects religious liberty and prevents religious hegemony, was engraved in the constitution. How cruel an irony that some of the spiritual descendants of those persecuted Baptists should, like Mike Johnson, pervert American history and the constitution to impose a theocracy that would mean the end of democracy.

guardian
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2023 03:07 pm
@blatham,
It didn't have to end up like this...it's so sad...
thack45

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2023 04:55 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

You're definitely on safe ground pointing out the inevitable logical problems in the ideas of theocrats like the new House speaker. As regards his use of "Mother Earth" as a contrasting "theology" to that of his own "Father God", I think this is just another instance of the religious right's long history of severe patriarchy and it's more recent war with feminism.

Honestly their archaic positions on women never even crossed my mind there. "Mother Earth" is a fairly common term, and if I wanted to make up a religion for climate activists (simply so that I could disparage it), I could see myself reaching for that one as well. I'm not disputing what you're saying. It's just that something else in that screenshot caught my attention.

On the matter of the logical problem, someone presenting a hypothetical religion that's nearly identical to their own, then sneering at all of it because of a single differing part of it, is to me just empirically good comedy, and I can't help but stop to marvel at it. But really I brought it up by way of getting to an irritation, which is pointed directly at how this completely absurd attitude of authority is used as the basis for efforts to gain power over people, and moreso that those efforts appear more and more successful over the past several years.

Christian nationalism, under the guise of Christianity more generally, has been given a seat at the table. And not because of what the Constitution says (and in fact in spite of it). Not because they have constructive ideas backed by any sort of methodological rigor. They have power because of their symbiotic arrangement with the GOP, and that power is generally accepted—or at least tolerated— because of things like tradition, hazy to downright incorrect historical assumptions, and ad populum.

But wait, there's more! There seems to be an implicit suggestion that while all Americans have been promised certain Constitutional freedoms, "religious liberty" grants those who claim it a sort of Constitutional Freedom Plus, as though they're the Platinum Members of America. And they'll take full advantage of those benefits wherever that view is accepted by law makers and the courts, and any criticism is deemed "religious discrimination" and an assault on that "religious liberty".

Just a few more things: I'm not arguing against religion, or Christianity, but rather I'm bemoaning the efforts by some in power, to create and nurture and disseminate an ahistorical American narrative that sounds plausible enough for many, as means to pervert the intent of the Constitution and Bill of Rights... The alliance of the religious right and the GOP should be more evidently suspect, as all of the piety and "family values" talk just happens to cease at the point where it might conflict with the GOP agenda. I also wonder if there could be trouble down the line; with the GOP should evangelicals ever decide to push for some of the more traditional biblical tenets of good will, or much more realistically; with 21st century voters as evangelicals gain power and their current objectives move more clearly into view... Lastly I just want to point out @blatham that sometimes I comment on the subject of posts while not necessarily intending to address the poster specifically, so I hope you won't think I'm trying to lecture or tell you things I think you don't know. I'm just rattling off thoughts for whatever conversation they might make, or just to get them out of my head. And I happen to have a lot of thoughts on this subject.
blatham

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2023 05:11 pm
@hightor,
It didn't have to end up like this...it's so sad...
Yep
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 05:39 am
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

blatham wrote:

You're definitely on safe ground pointing out the inevitable logical problems in the ideas of theocrats like the new House speaker. As regards his use of "Mother Earth" as a contrasting "theology" to that of his own "Father God", I think this is just another instance of the religious right's long history of severe patriarchy and it's more recent war with feminism.

Honestly their archaic positions on women never even crossed my mind there. "Mother Earth" is a fairly common term, and if I wanted to make up a religion for climate activists (simply so that I could disparage it), I could see myself reaching for that one as well. I'm not disputing what you're saying. It's just that something else in that screenshot caught my attention.

On the matter of the logical problem, someone presenting a hypothetical religion that's nearly identical to their own, then sneering at all of it because of a single differing part of it, is to me just empirically good comedy, and I can't help but stop to marvel at it. But really I brought it up by way of getting to an irritation, which is pointed directly at how this completely absurd attitude of authority is used as the basis for efforts to gain power over people, and moreso that those efforts appear more and more successful over the past several years.

Christian nationalism, under the guise of Christianity more generally, has been given a seat at the table. And not because of what the Constitution says (and in fact in spite of it). Not because they have constructive ideas backed by any sort of methodological rigor. They have power because of their symbiotic arrangement with the GOP, and that power is generally accepted—or at least tolerated— because of things like tradition, hazy to downright incorrect historical assumptions, and ad populum.

But wait, there's more! There seems to be an implicit suggestion that while all Americans have been promised certain Constitutional freedoms, "religious liberty" grants those who claim it a sort of Constitutional Freedom Plus, as though they're the Platinum Members of America. And they'll take full advantage of those benefits wherever that view is accepted by law makers and the courts, and any criticism is deemed "religious discrimination" and an assault on that "religious liberty".

Just a few more things: I'm not arguing against religion, or Christianity, but rather I'm bemoaning the efforts by some in power, to create and nurture and disseminate an ahistorical American narrative that sounds plausible enough for many, as means to pervert the intent of the Constitution and Bill of Rights... The alliance of the religious right and the GOP should be more evidently suspect, as all of the piety and "family values" talk just happens to cease at the point where it might conflict with the GOP agenda. I also wonder if there could be trouble down the line; with the GOP should evangelicals ever decide to push for some of the more traditional biblical tenets of good will, or much more realistically; with 21st century voters as evangelicals gain power and their current objectives move more clearly into view... Lastly I just want to point out @blatham that sometimes I comment on the subject of posts while not necessarily intending to address the poster specifically, so I hope you won't think I'm trying to lecture or tell you things I think you don't know. I'm just rattling off thoughts for whatever conversation they might make, or just to get them out of my head. And I happen to have a lot of thoughts on this subject.

WOW! I didn't think comments of this quality were still being posted anywhere on the Internet...and it was both a surprise and pleasure to encounter it here in A2K. Thanks, Thack.

I think there is a good chance that the MAGA people are about to learn the full meaning of the maxim, "Be careful what you wish for." Unfortunately, we all are going to share in their "acheivement." If it comes to that, it will not be pretty.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 07:03 am
@thack45,
Quote:
Lastly I just want to point out @blatham that sometimes I comment on the subject of posts while not necessarily intending to address the poster specifically, so I hope you won't think I'm trying to lecture or tell you things I think you don't know. I'm just rattling off thoughts for whatever conversation they might make, or just to get them out of my head. And I happen to have a lot of thoughts on this subject.

I didn't take this response in any negative way at all. You've written a very thoughtful post and it was a delight to read.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 07:32 am
Trump’s Violent Rhetoric Echoes The Fascist Commitment To A Destructive And Bloody Rebirth Of Society

Mark Reiff wrote:
Former President Donald Trump’s rhetoric has regularly bordered on the incitement of violence. Lately, however, it has become even more violent. Yet both many in the press and the public have largely shrugged their shoulders.

As a political philosopher who studies extremism, I believe people should be more worried about this.

Mark Milley, the outgoing chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, is guilty of “treason,” Trump said in September 2023, just for reassuring the Chinese that the U.S. had no plans to attack in the waning days of the Trump administration. And for this, Trump says, Milley deserves death.

And back in April, Trump said that his indictment by Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg would result in “death and destruction.” Then, in early October, Trump urged people to “go after” Letitia James, the New York attorney general who filed suit against him for business fraud.

Trump’s prior rhetoric is also now on record as having inspired many of those convicted to engage in insurrection at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.

But it is not just government officials whom Trump suggests be targeted for extrajudicial killings. Mere shoplifters should be killed too. “Very simply, if you rob a store, you can fully expect to be shot as you are leaving,” Trump said to cheers at the California Republican Party convention in September.

More than crazy bluster

This rhetoric may seem like crazy bluster, which is no doubt why many people appear prepared to ignore it. But put in its historical context, what Trump is doing is echoing views that are part of a long tradition of illiberal and outright fascist thought. For fascists have always seen the use of violence as a virtue, not a vice.

First, this is the natural result of the way that fascist communities define themselves. According to Carl Schmitt, a prominent Nazi and for a time the official legal theorist of the party under Adolf Hitler, one builds and maintains a community by identifying and vilifying its enemies. And in this kind of highly polarized environment, the threat of violence always hangs in the air.

Second, among fascists, machismo is much admired. Former Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, whose own outrageous rhetoric has also encouraged violent behavior by his supporters, simply “beamed” when Russian President Vladimir Putin praised him for his masculinity.

Trump often acts as a sycophant for Putin too, and machismo also is a big part of Trump’s own public persona.

Third, fascists are obsessed with purity. They long for a world where they can live among their own racial, ethnic, religious and ideological kind on land they view as exclusively theirs.

But in the real world, people are too intermixed for this to occur naturally. True purity of community is an aspiration that can be made real only through violence and subjugation. Hence the Holocaust,genocide and ethnic cleansing, and other more limited attacks on minority and immigrant populations.

Violence as noble and intoxicating

Fascists, then, see violence as noble and intoxicating. For example, Julius Evola, a far-right intellectual active in Italy from 1920 to 1970 and the author, among other things, of “Fascism Viewed from the Right” and “A Handbook for Right-Wing Youth,” writes that violence “offers man the opportunity to awaken the hero that sleeps within him.”

Today, Evola is a favorite of the alt-right, and he suggests that a hero’s death is preferable to a life built on liberal compromise. “The moment the individual succeeds in living as a hero,” Evola writes, “even if it is the final moment of his earthly life, weighs infinitely more on the scale of values than a protracted existence consuming monotonously among the trivialities of cities.”

The ultraconservative Catholic authoritarian and opponent of the French Revolution Joseph de Maistre, who is recognized as one of the intellectual forefathers of fascism, goes even further.

“The whole earth, perpetually steeped in blood, is nothing but a vast altar upon which all that is living must be sacrificed without end, without measure, without pause, until the consummation of things, until evil is extinct, until the death of death,” Maistre writes. Indeed, without an executioner, the man who kills other men, Maistre claims society could not exist. For violence is necessary to satisfy “men’s natural desire to be destructive,” he writes; it leaves them feeling “exalted and fulfilled.”

These comments make clear that fascists see violence as something to be used for more than just personal retribution and intimidation. It is to be used to create wider social disruption and destruction. Not only are individuals to be subject to attack, but institutions and norms as well.

Consider “The Fourth Turning: An American Prophecy,” a work by two amateur historians popular on the far right.

The book is actually a restatement of Evola’s theory of historical regression, set forth in his “Revolt against the Modern World.”

The idea is that history moves in cycles, the first one being the best and each one thereafter representing a further decline. The fourth cycle is the worst, and it ends only when all existing social institutions are destroyed. This, in turn, is an application of the philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche’s idea that “one can build only in a space which has been previously razed to the ground.”

Then history will reset and cycle once again.

Trump’s former adviser Steve Bannon admires these ideas so much he made a movie about them.

Trump appears to embrace these ideas too. “When the economy crashes, when the country goes to total hell, and everything is a disaster, then you’ll have riots to go back to where we used to be, when we were great,” he says.

Viewed in this context, not taking Trump’s violent rhetoric more seriously seems dangerous indeed.

tpm
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 07:49 am
More than 75% of Israelis polled want Netanyahu to resign.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 09:54 pm
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Members of the group known as QAnon are warning that the Independent candidacy of Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., will siphon off votes from the highly anticipated 2024 bid of John F. Kennedy, Jr.

Harland Dorrinson, a QAnon spokesman, called R.F.K., Jr.,’s decision to run as an Independent “a blatant attempt to confuse voters” who were planning to support his celebrated cousin.

“Maybe this is what R.F.K., Jr., was planning from the very beginning,” he said. “I’m not a paranoid person, but it almost seems like a conspiracy.”

“We at QAnon need to spread the word that there is only one real Kennedy running in 2024, and that’s J.F.K., Jr.,” he said. “Accept no substitutes.”

For his part, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., appeared undeterred by QAnon’s criticism, as he announced that he had already received several major endorsements from voices inside his head.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/qanon-fears-rfk-jr-will-take-votes-away-from-jfk-jr
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 10:42 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
More than 75% of Israelis polled want Netanyahu to resign.

It's mind numbing to think he's not in prison already, but the west is heading down the extremist rightard BS agenda quite closely.
hightor

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2023 04:33 am
Quote:
The Biden administration's use of the Federal Trade Commission to break up monopolies— suing Amazon, for example, on September 26—resurrects the nation’s traditional antitrust vision. By trying to weaken the economic power of large entities in order to restore competition, innovation, and the rights of workers and consumers, Biden officials are echoing the principles articulated by politicians of all political stripes in the early twentieth century. Those principles were in full flood during the presidential election that took place on November 5, 1912.

The progressive impulse grew in response to the rise of the business trusts that grew to control the economy in the 1880s, gathered steam in the 1890s as muckrakers like those writing for McClure’s Magazine explained in detail how a few well-connected men ran business and government in their own interests, and grew stronger as at least 303 firms disappeared in mergers every year between 1898 and 1902. The idea of restoring competition gained a champion in the White House in 1901 when Republican Theodore Roosevelt stepped into the office of the slain big-business defender William McKinley.

But Roosevelt quickly found that progressives had little luck passing bills to regulate business and protect ordinary Americans. House speaker Joseph G. “Uncle Joe” Cannon, a key member of the so-called Republican Old Guard who supported big business and ran the House with an iron fist, stood in the way. Roosevelt turned to litigation and executive orders to break up trusts and protect lands from industrial development.

When Roosevelt stepped aside in 1908 for his hand-picked successor, Willam Howard Taft, he warned the nation in his last message that the new conditions of industry had enabled corporations to become a “menace” and required that government regulate them to protect economic competition in general and workers in particular.

Roosevelt tried to stay out of Taft’s way by traveling to Africa to hunt big game (prompting banker J. P. Morgan to cheer on Roosevelt’s demise with his famous quip, “Let every lion do his duty”), leaving Cannon free to go on the attack. In February 1910 he gave a widely reprinted speech that called anyone supporting government regulation of business and protection of workers a wild-eyed radical.

But momentum for economic reform was gathering speed. Back in the U.S. a few months later, Roosevelt countered that if this were the case, President Abraham Lincoln was “a great radical…. To-day,” Roosevelt said, “many well-meaning men who have permitted themselves to fossilize, to become mere ultra-conservative reactionaries, to reject and oppose all progress, but who still pay a conventional and perfunctory homage to Lincoln’s memory, will do well to remember exactly what it was for which this great conservative leader of radicalism actually stood.”

Lincoln, Roosevelt said later that year in Osawatomie, Kansas, had stood against the special interests that had perverted government to their own ends and robbed hard workers of what they had earned. In Lincoln’s day the threat came from the Slave Power; in 1910 it came from business interests. The nation was currently governed by “a small class of enormously wealthy and economically powerful men, whose chief object is to hold and increase their power.”

Roosevelt demanded that the government restore an even economic playing field in the country, forcing businesses to operate transparently, submit to regulation, and stop funding political campaigns. He also called for graduated income taxes, inheritance taxes, the protection of national resources so industrialists could not strip them all from future generations, minimum wages, maximum hours of work, and better factory conditions.

Roosevelt was echoing the language that Democrats had embraced since 1884, when Grover Cleveland, whose base was in the urban areas of New York, won the White House. That message was not limited to politicians; indeed, it came from ordinary Americans of all stripes, including women, who could not vote but who had begun to exercise their power as consumers. They were more and more vocal, demanding an end to milk adulterated with chalk and formaldehyde, streets running with industrial pollution, and factories that overworked and maimed husbands and children.

Roosevelt added a Republican endorsement to that impulse, and momentum built. In 1910, voters gave control of the House to the Democrats, who backed an investigation into the power of bankers to direct the economy. In 1912 the House Committee on Banking and Currency under Arsène Pujo (D-LA) began to investigate the growing concentration of wealth in the economy.

Four major parties fielded presidential candidates in the election of 1912; all were progressives. The Republicans renominated President Taft, who during his first term had broken up more trusts even than Roosevelt had. Taft’s nomination prompted Roosevelt to run on a third-party Progressive ticket, where he warned Americans that the government had sold out to business and that “[we] stand at Armageddon, and we battle for the Lord.”

The Democrats nominated former college president and New Jersey governor Woodrow Wilson, whose advisor, the jurist Louis Brandeis, called for restoring competition to the economy to protect the welfare of all the people. The American Socialist Party also fielded a candidate, Eugene V. Debs, who called for an ultimate end to capitalism and for workers to seize control of the government.

On November 5, 1912, voters elected Democrat Woodrow Wilson to the White House and gave the Democrats control of both chambers of Congress. Although he won only 42% of the popular vote, Wilson garnered 409 electoral votes to Roosvelt’s 107 and Taft’s 15. In an even more pointed message, the split in the Republican Party also led to the ouster of Uncle Joe Cannon from Congress.

In February 1913, a month before Wilson took office, the report of the Pujo Committee—so called even though an illness in Pujo’s family made him cede the chair to Hubert Stephens (D-MS)—showed that overlapping directorates and corporate boards had enabled a handful of men to control more than $22 billion in 112 corporations, where they stifled competition.

Although banks refused to cooperate with the investigation, the committee had learned enough to be “satisfied from the proofs submitted, even in the absence of data from the banks, that there is an established and well-defined identity and community of interest between a few leaders of finance, created and held together through stock ownership, interlocking directorates, partnership and joint account transactions, and other forms of domination of banks, trust companies, railroads, and public-service and industrial corporations, which has resulted in great and rapidly growing concentration of the control of money in the hands of these few men.”

Outraged, Americans got behind the Sixteenth Amendment to the Constitution establishing the power of the federal government to levy an income tax, which was ratified in February 1913. In December 1913, Congress passed the Federal Reserve Act, providing federal oversight of the country’s banking system. The following year it passed the Clayton Antitrust Act, which prohibited anticompetitive economic practices. And it established the Federal Trade Commission to prevent unfair methods of competition.

November 5, 1912, turned out to be a crucial day in the history of our country. But when the day dawned, it was not clear what the evening would bring. For their part, Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Kyler of Denison, Texas, were hedging their bets: when their newborn triplets arrived shortly before the election, they named the boys William Howard Taft Kyler, Theodore Roosevelt Kyler, and Woodrow Wilson Kyler.

hcr
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2023 01:02 pm
@Builder,
Quote:
It's mind numbing to think he's not in prison already, but the west is heading down the extremist rightard BS agenda quite closely.

****. I hate it when I totally agree with one of your points. Now that is mind numbing.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2023 03:22 pm
@blatham,
"When asked who is most at fault for the attack, 44% of Israelis blamed Netanyahu, while 33% blamed the military chief of staff and senior IDF officials and 5% blamed the Defense Minister, according to the poll."

The very obvious and real truth is "Hamas is responsible for the attack", but if you ask the question in such a way (where they obviously gave only internal options), you will get the above response. Ie. The answer follows the question.

Also on that 76% - it is remarkably similar to 80% of Israelis say Netanyahu must publicaly take responsibility for Oct 7 failures

On the surface of it, it appears the answer has once again followed the question.

This is not a political commentary. It is pointing out an issue with how the article is presented. I became interested in these stats because it is highly unusual for a leader to become unpopular immediately after launching a war (quite perversely, in the vast majority of cases, usually their popularity soars)
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2023 03:28 pm
https://image.caglecartoons.com/279804/600/presidential-payback.png

https://resources.arcamax.com/newspics/259/25905/2590530.gif
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2023 06:26 am
@vikorr,
Here's the first graph of the Times of Israel piece you linked,
Quote:
The vast majority of Israelis believe Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu should publicly accept responsibility for the staggering failures that led to Hamas’s devastating onslaught on October 7

As is also noted, whereas,
Quote:
The chiefs of the IDF and the Shin Bet have already taken such responsibility, as have the defense minister and finance minister.

Netanyahu has not acknowledged his failures here.

I've no idea how much you've kept up with events in Israel over the last two or three decades but your suggestion that these polling results are merely a function of the wording in recent polls is not correct. To learn more, just google "Netanyahu's failures" or "Israeli protests".
blatham

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2023 07:17 am
Quote:
Why Does The Right Hate America?

U.S. democracy is clearly in crisis. It’s entirely possible that in less than two years dissenters will face the power of a government with an authoritarian bent; if that sounds to you like hyperbole, you aren’t paying attention.

But is America beyond the political realm also in crisis? Are the very foundations of society eroding? Many people on the right apparently think so. A recent essay by Damon Linker in The Times profiled conservative intellectuals whose writing, he argued, helps explain where the MAGA right is coming from. What struck me, reading some of their work, is the dire portrait they paint of the state of our nation.

For example, Patrick Deneen’s “Regime Change” describes America thus: “Once-beautiful cities and towns around the nation have succumbed to an ugly blight. Cratering rates of childbirth, rising numbers of ‘deaths of despair,’ widespread addictions to pharmaceuticals and electronic distractions testify to the prevalence of a dull ennui and psychic despair.” And he attributes all of this to the malign effects of liberalism.

When I read such things, I always wonder, do these people ever go outside and look around? Do they have any sense, from personal memory or reading, of what America was like 30 or 50 years ago?

It’s true that U.S. society has changed immensely over the past half-century or so, and not entirely in good ways: Inequality has soared, and deaths of despair are a real phenomenon. (More about that later.) But many right-wing critiques of modern America seem rooted not just in dystopian fantasies but in dystopian fantasies that are generations out of date. There seems to be a part of the conservative mind for which it’s always 1975.

Start with those blighted cities. I’m old enough to remember the 1970s and 1980s, when Times Square was a cesspool of drugs, prostitution and crime. These days it’s a bit too Disneyland for my tastes, but the transformation has been incredible.

OK, that’s something of a Big Apple-centric view, and not every U.S. city has done as well as New York (although it’s remarkable how many on the right insist on believing that one of America’s safest places is an urban hellscape). Chicago, for example, has done a lot worse. But between 1990 and the eve of the Covid-19 pandemic there was a broad-based U.S. urban resurgence, largely driven by the return to city life of a significant number of affluent Americans, who increasingly valued the amenities cities can offer and were less worried by violent crime, which plunged after 1990.

True, some of the fall in crime was reversed during the pandemic, but it seems to be receding again. And Americans are coming back to urban centers: Working from home has reduced downtown foot traffic during the week, but weekend visitors are more or less back to prepandemic levels.

This doesn’t look like blight to me.

What about family life? Indeed, fewer Americans are getting married than in the past. What you may not know is that since around 1980 there has been a huge decline in divorce rates. The most likely explanation, according to the economists Betsey Stevenson and Justin Wolfers, is that expanded job opportunities for women led to a temporary surge in divorces as women left unhappy marriages, which receded as marriages adjusted to the new social realities. I take this to mean that during the “good old days” there was a lot of quiet marital misery, some of which is now behind us.

Oh, and when we talk about declining birthrates, we should note that a significant factor has been a huge decline in teenage pregnancies, especially among women 15 to 17. Is this an indicator of moral decay?

But what about those deaths of despair? They’re real and very much an indictment of our society. But while deaths from drugs, alcohol and suicide happen everywhere, they’re happening disproportionately not in liberal big cities but in left-behind rural regions, stranded by economic forces that have caused a migration of income and employment to relatively well-educated metropolitan areas. If there’s “psychic despair” driving addiction, it seems to be the despair that comes from not being able to get a job — not the despair that comes from a decline in traditional values.

Social change is never an unalloyed good thing. I look at how America has changed over my adult lifetime and see some things I don’t like, especially the return to extreme economic inequality. But I also see a society that offers much more individual freedom, especially for women and minorities but for the rest of us too.

Not everyone considers this a positive change. Indeed, some people on the right clearly hate the America we actually live in, a complex, diverse nation, as opposed to the simpler, purer nation of their imaginations.

And if you would prefer a society with more traditional social relationships, more people practicing traditional forms of religion and so on, that’s your right. But don’t claim, falsely, that society is collapsing because it doesn’t match your preferences or blame liberalism for every social problem.

Paul Krugman
I had begun reading Linker's piece a day or two ago but got only half way through for the same reasons Krugman criticizes here. I'll also note that Krugman is a national treasure.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2023 07:30 am
Quote:
Why Does The Right Hate America?

They don't hate "America": they just hate everything America stands for and any American not them.

I live in central Texas and I see it every day.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2023 09:22 am
@blatham,
Quote:
And if you would prefer a society with more traditional social relationships, more people practicing traditional forms of religion and so on, that’s your right.

It's always struck me that, back in the day, conservative Christians were happy, even proud, to live their lives according to their principles, and were secure in their faith communities. If their kids went to school and were exposed to subjects like Darwinian evolution or comparative religion, it wasn't a problem. Anymore than a kid learning to speak English in school and then returning home and speaking Spanish in his Mexican-American family. Society didn't have to reflect their specific values – that was the whole idea. Like the Amish and Mennonites, they could reject some aspects of the secular world and still exist happily in a free society.

Now I hate to oversimplify the history of the past forty years but I really think that the change to the sort of political Christianity we know today wasn't an organic development among the believers but the result of a conscious effort by not-necessarily-Christian conservatives to divide the country and manufacture a new political majority. Remember that in the '70s the Southern Baptist church actually supported the Roe vs Wade decision and evangelicals voted for Jimmy Carter. The election of Reagan gave the far right the opportunity it was looking for. Guys like Viguerie realized that traditional Christian denominations, often non-political, were ripe for recruitment and were a huge potential source of new conservative votes. Raising fears of homosexuality, condemning abortion, gun confiscation, and convincing people that they were oppressed and not valued within the liberal consensus gave the right its best opportunity to start winning elections. Coupled with the emergence of conservative law schools, wealthy groups like the Heritage Foundation, the Federalist Society, the Judicial Crisis Network, and religious leaders like Jerry Falwell, they were able to secure political power at the local, state, and eventually the federal level. By the time Trump entered politics, there was a whole base of alienated voters ripe for his "grievance" message. I know it seems almost conspiratorial to imply that the present crisis was the result of a rational and successful design but when you look at the career of someone like Leonard Leo it sure looks like that was the case.

This podcast backs up my suspicions and I recommend listening to it:

We Don't Talk about Leonard

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2023 10:23 am
@hightor,
Certainly the situation in Europe (especially in Germany) is somewhat different from that in the USA (still, because we always tend to assimilate, to "Americanise", here too).

But here, too, there are conservative Christian positions that are also being appropriated by the right (e.g. traditional gender roles, reservations about gender language, unity of the nuclear family).

There are conservative Christian positions that are only too happy to be appropriated by the right and become populist.
So there are elective affinities.