bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2023 06:55 am
https://assets.amuniversal.com/505ee040e6aa013b0015005056a9545d.png
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2023 07:32 am
@blatham,
Quote:
It appears that this important media reporting by Tim Alberta on CNN has not been linked here yet. Take the time to read it. HERE

Also this related NYT piece from today. Here

CNN Chairman and CEO Chris Licht is out
(cnn)
blatham

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2023 08:42 am
@Region Philbis,
Yes, saw that this morning. He should have taken Colbert's advice and refused the job.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2023 02:43 pm
Mark Meadows:Will plead guilty to several federal charges as part of a deal for which he has already testified for.

Snip>
Mr Meadows has already given evidence before the grand jury and is said to be cooperating with the investigation into his former boss. It is understood that the former North Carolina congressman will plead guilty to several federal charges as part of a deal for which he has already received limited immunity in exchange for his testimony.

Snip>

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-indictment-espionage-prosecution-charges-b2353397.html
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2023 10:11 pm
https://i.postimg.cc/k5Zn7D2h/IMG-2961.png
hightor

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2023 03:54 am
Quote:
Three more candidates have entered the race for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination this week. Former vice president Mike Pence, former New Jersey governor Chris Christie, and current North Dakota governor Doug Burgum join former South Carolina governor and Trump’s ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley, South Carolina senator Tim Scott, Florida governor Ron DeSantis, former Arkansas governor Asa Hutchinson, as well as a few others and former president Donald Trump in their hope of winning the nomination.

Taken together, the different candidates offer a window into the current Republican Party. Haley and DeSantis are embracing the cultural issues to which the Trump base is wedded. At a CNN town hall on Sunday, Haley singled out transgender girls as one of her key issues, linking (without any evidence) their presence on girls’ sports teams to an April study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that showed a rise in the number of teenaged girls contemplating self-harm between 2019 and 2021, years that covered the height of the pandemic. (In fact, LGBTQ teenagers have a higher rate of thoughts of self-harm than their straight, gender-conforming peers.)

DeSantis has reached for the Trump base by focusing on immigration. That focus has backfired as unlawful border crossings have dropped more than 70% since President Biden’s ending of the pandemic-related Title 42, and as a new Florida law designed to “scare people from coming to Florida” has resulted in immigrants, whose labor is vital to the state, leaving it.

Apparently trying to reclaim the narrative, in the last week, DeSantis has sent two charter flights taking migrants who have legally applied for asylum in the U.S. from the Texas border to Sacramento, California. While the DeSantis administration claims the migrants went “voluntarily,” they say they were tricked into thinking they would get work in California. One set of the migrants were dropped off outside the Catholic Archdiocese of Sacramento, which had not been alerted they were coming and was closed.

Pence, Hutchinson, and Christie are directly attacking Trump, Pence by saying the events of January 6, 2021, make Trump unfit to be president, Hutchinson by saying Trump should withdraw because of the criminal charges he’s facing, and Christie by attacking Trump and his family as grifters. At Saint Anselm College in New Hampshire yesterday, Christie reminded the audience: “Jared Kushner and Ivanka Kushner walk out of the White House and months later get $2 billion from the Saudis…. You think it’s because he’s some kind of investing genius? Or do you think it’s because he was sitting next to the President of the United States for four years doing favors for the Saudis?... That’s your money he stole and gave it to his family. You know what that makes us? A banana republic.”

Scott and Burgum seem to be trying to offer exhausted Republican voters a rest. Scott is trying to offer an optimistic vision of the United States amidst the apocalyptic narratives of his rivals, denying that systematic racism is a societal problem, for example, while Burgum’s chief attribute seems to be an embrace of pre-2016 Republicanism and a low-key presentation.

That scrum of Republican hopefuls—none of whom is polling well—is the backdrop to this evening’s story from Andrew Feinberg of the Independent that prosecutors from the Department of Justice are ready to ask a grand jury in Washington, D.C., to indict former president Trump on charges that he has violated the Espionage Act and obstructed justice.

Aside from anything else, the Espionage Act includes language that anyone who “willfully retains…any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, or note relating to the national defense, or information relating to the national defense which information the possessor has reason to believe could be used to the injury of the United States or to the advantage of any foreign nation… and fails to deliver it on demand to the officer or employee of the United States entitled to receive it” can be punished by as many as ten years in prison.

The story says the jury could vote as early as tomorrow, but it could also be delayed until next week, or beyond. It is worth remembering that this Department of Justice has not been known to leak, and that the sooner Trump is indicted—which certainly looks likely, at least in the case of the missing documents—the sooner his supporters can jump to another candidate, which might suggest a rival camp pushing the story that an indictment will come soon. That same calculation might have been part of what was behind Trump’s insistence to New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman that he has “NOT been told he’s getting indicted.” And, he added on Truth Social, “I shouldn’t be because I’ve done NOTHING wrong.”

Troubles in the Republican Party are not limited to the 2024 hopefuls. House Republicans continue to fight against House speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), angry over the budget deal under which he pushed through a measure to suspend the debt ceiling. McCarthy tried to head off their protests with a promise to establish a commission to cut Social Security and Medicare, but it was not enough. Yesterday, members of the House Freedom Caucus said they would not permit votes on anything until he put in writing what they believed was the deal he made to get their votes for the speakership; that revolt continued today.

Tonight, Jake Sherman of Punchbowl News reported that McCarthy appears to have agreed to let appropriators write bills that come in below the agreed-upon spending levels. Sherman’s colleague John Bresnahan noted: “The Fiscal Responsibility Act isn’t even a week old & Republicans in the House and Senate are already trying to redo it.”

In other news, CNN has parted ways with Chris Licht, its chief executive officer and chair, who had sought to move the network to what he considered the center of American politics. He had done so by highlighting “both sides” of today’s political arguments, firing leading journalists he thought too far on the left and centering Trump in a town hall that became the former president’s triumphant reentry to the political stage as he lied and bullied the interviewer. Some pundits have taken Licht’s fall as a sign that there is no longer a powerful center in American politics, but my own guess is the opposite: that most of us want news based in reality rather than media giving platforms to people who are openly lying.

Yale scholar of authoritarianism Timothy Snyder today applied this idea to coverage of the destruction of the Nova Kakhovka Dam in Ukraine, which has rained down humanitarian, ecological, and economic disaster on Ukrainians as they appear to be launching a counteroffensive to the Russian invasion of their country.

Snyder warned journalists not to “bothsides” the story by offering equal time to both sides. “What Russian spokespersons have said has almost always been untrue, whereas what Ukrainian spokespersons have said has largely been reliable. The juxtaposition suggests a false equality,” he wrote. “The story doesn't start at the moment the dam explodes. For the last fifteen months Russia has been killing Ukrainian civilians and destroying Ukrainian civilian infrastructure, whereas Ukraine has been trying to protect its people and the structures that keep them alive.” “Objectivity does not mean treating an event as a coin flip between two public statements,” he said. “It demands thinking about the objects and the settings that readers require for understanding amidst uncertainty.”

hcr
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2023 04:00 am
@bobsal u1553115,
"viscous rinos"

"through me under the bus"

"election was stollen"

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.JUOaRknGouRVWsPaVPQMKQHaDO%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=c666606022fb181409be2dbd887a5a875fbfcdaec701d3db711e02ba76c25157&ipo=images

What an idiot.
blatham

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2023 04:12 am
Quote:
James Hesky
@JamesHesky
As part of the merger, the PGA will control holes 1-8 and 12-18.

The Saudis do 9-11
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2023 04:15 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

"election was stollen"

Well his dad was German.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2023 04:21 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

"viscous rinos"

"through me under the bus"

"election was stollen"

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.JUOaRknGouRVWsPaVPQMKQHaDO%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=c666606022fb181409be2dbd887a5a875fbfcdaec701d3db711e02ba76c25157&ipo=images

What an idiot.

I read that thing and immediately thought, "This has got to be a prank."

Was that an actual post?

Doesn't he have someone read his ignorant nonsense before he hits the "send" button?
blatham

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2023 04:23 am
@hightor,
Quote:
What an idiot.

Oh yeah.

But there's only upside merch potential in "viscous rinos".
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2023 06:28 am
@hightor,
He meant swollen - he was referring to the huge voter turnout that swept 45 out of office.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2023 06:31 am
@Frank Apisa,
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2023 06:45 am
Feds inform Trump he is target in Mar-a-Lago document case

Last edited Wed Jun 7, 2023, 05:37 PM - Edit history (7)
Trump’s lawyers told he is target in Mar-a-Lago documents investigation
Move dramatically raises stakes for former president as investigation appears to near its conclusion

Federal prosecutors formally informed Donald Trump’s lawyers last week that the former US president is a target of the criminal investigation examining his retention of national security materials at his Mar-a-Lago resort and obstruction of justice, according to two people briefed on the matter.

The move dramatically raises the stakes for Trump as the investigation appears to near its conclusion after taking evidence before a grand jury in Washington and a previously unknown grand jury in Florida that was impaneled last month.

Trump’s lawyers were notified before they met on Monday with the special counsel Jack Smith leading the Mar-a-Lago documents case and the senior career official in the deputy attorney general’s office and made the case that prosecutors should not indict the former president in the matter.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jun/07/trump-mar-a-lago-classified-documents-investigation

NEW: Prosecutors are ready to ask for grand jurors to vote on a Trump indictment as early as tomorrow, on charges of obstruction of justice and Espionage Act violations.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2023 07:02 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank
How's the smoke where you are?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2023 07:05 am
An awful thought has been occurring to me over the last 12 hours, or so. What if: Trump not getting the Republican nomination spends off a 3rd party nomination for President. Then, say for instance, 2024 is a run of Biden, Pence and Trump? This kinda scares me!

I can't remember now, but; there are special rules for a Presidential 3rd party run? Can someone help me here? I know it is more difficult than just announcing it, it just escapes me what they are.

I just feel a three party run might be easier for Trump to win.

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2023 08:39 am
@BillW,
Biden in a walk, and a Democratic Congress and Senate. What down side. I'd love to see the GOP and GQT eat each other.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2023 11:02 am
https://i.imgur.com/Dp4bHc4.png

Appetizers.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2023 05:44 pm
Quote:
Michael Beschloss
@BeschlossDC
Trump just said on social media that Biden Administration officials have “informed my attorneys that I have been Indicted, seemingly over the Boxes Hoax.”

BillW

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2023 06:16 pm
@blatham,
7 counts
0 Replies