Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

revelette1

Reply Thu 18 May, 2023 09:15 am
@hightor,
So I take it, it is not a phase but a result of advanced world technology and growth and people feeling unsecure?

I guess having a rosy vision of the world all of a sudden becoming more compassionate and smarter towards clean energy and humanity are just fantasies.
hightor

Reply Thu 18 May, 2023 11:37 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
I guess having a rosy vision of the world all of a sudden becoming more compassionate and smarter towards clean energy and humanity are just fantasies.

It looks that way, doesn't it. But there's so much political hay to be made by stoking resentment and impatience. It's similar to the situation in 2010. We had such high hopes for the direction Obama was trying to steer the country. The opposition party saw that and decided to do everything it could to cripple his presidency by attacking his signature (and potentially popular) health care initiative. And the Democrats gave them plenty of help by exhibiting infighting and disarray.

The USA has had over two hundred years of experience with the democratic process yet Obama was nearly brought down by the upstart "Tea Party". Imagine how tenuous good, effective government is in countries with histories of despots and dictators. And how easy it is to exploit a crisis – hot summer, refugees on the border, a pandemic? – vote 'em out! This sort of grievance populism has been made much easier by social media. Coupled with AI chat technology, the future of the "open society" doesn't look as promising as it once did.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 May, 2023 12:07 pm
@hightor,
Here in Germany, there have been political protest parties before, at local/regional level. However, they could only last for one or maybe two legislative periods, because the voters saw which people they had elected.

Now, however, these 'protesters' are gaining support from the various right-wing and radical right-wing groups and are becoming a serious danger.
In the elections in Bremen (state) last Sunday, for example, the right-wing populist "Citizens in Anger" received 9.4 per cent = plus 7.0 points compared to the previous election, also because the extreme right-wing AfD could not contest.
BillW

Reply Thu 18 May, 2023 12:53 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
As compared to the US protest party that carries about 42%, and gerrymanders to 50+% in quit a few states. They call themselves republicans.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 19 May, 2023 03:03 am
Quote:
Citing “changing business conditions,” Disney leadership today canceled plans to build an office complex near Orlando, Florida. The construction was estimated to cost about $1 billion, and the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity projected it would bring to Florida more than 2,000 jobs with an average salary of $120,000. In his email to employees, Disney’s theme park and consumer products chair Josh D’Amaro made it clear that even more was on the line. He noted that Disney has planned more than $17 billion of construction in Florida, bringing about 13,000 jobs, over the next ten years but suggested that, too, was being reexamined. “I hope we’re able to,” he said.

Disney is locked in a battle with Florida governor Ron DeSantis that began when, under pressure from employees, then–Disney chief executive officer Bob Chapek spoke out against Florida’s Parental Rights in Education Act. This law, dubbed the “Don’t Say Gay” law because its vague language prohibiting instruction on gender identity and sexual orientation seems designed to silence any acknowledgement of LGBTQ Americans in grades K–3, was DeSantis’s pet project.

In retaliation, DeSantis led Florida Republicans to strip Disney of its ability to govern itself as if it were a county—as it has done since its inception in 1967—putting the board that controlled Disney under the control of a team hand-picked by DeSantis. But before the new board took over, the old board quietly and legally handed control of the parks over to Disney.

Apparently furious, DeSantis suggested he would build a competing state park or a prison next to Disney’s Florida theme park. In April, the new board set out to claw power from Disney, while the company announced it will hold its first gay-themed pride event in California and that it will build an affordable housing development in its Florida district, a move that Floridians will like. Meanwhile, with DeSantis’s blessing, the Florida state board of education approved expanding the ban on classroom mention of LGBTQ people to include grades 4–12.

On April 26, Disney sued the governor and those of his top advisors behind the attacks on Disney. The lawsuit noted that for more than 50 years, Disney “has made an immeasurable impact on Florida and its economy, establishing Central Florida as a top global tourist destination and attracting tens of millions of visitors to the State each year.” But, it said, “[a] targeted campaign of government retaliation—orchestrated at every step by Governor DeSantis as punishment for Disney’s protected speech— now threatens Disney’s business operations, jeopardizes its economic future in the region, and violates its constitutional rights.”

The lawsuit called out DeSantis’s actions as “patently retaliatory, patently anti-business, and patently unconstitutional. But,” it said, “the Governor and his allies have made it clear they do not care and will not stop.” The company said it felt forced to sue for protection “from a relentless campaign to weaponize government power against Disney in retaliation for expressing a political viewpoint unpopular with certain State officials.”

The fight between DeSantis and Disney illustrates the dramatic ideological change in the Republican Party in the last two years. No longer committed to keeping the government weak to stay out of the way of business development, the party is now committed to creating a strong government that enforces Christian nationalism.

This is a major and crucially important political shift.

From the earliest days of the Reagan Revolution, those leaders who wanted to slash the federal government to end business regulation and cut the social safety net recognized that they did not have the votes to put their program in place. To find those votes, they courted racists and traditionalists who hated the federal government’s protection of civil rights. Over time, that base became more and more powerful until Trump openly embraced it in August 2017, when he said there were “very fine people on both sides.”

As he moved toward the techniques of authoritarians, his followers began to champion the system that Hungarian prime minister Viktor Orbán called “illiberal democracy” or “Christian democracy” in his own country. Orbán argued that the principle of equality in liberal democracy undermines countries by attacking the national culture. Instead, he called for an end to multiculturalism—including immigration—and any lifestyle that is not based on the “Christian family model.” He seized control of universities to make them preach his values.

Today’s Republican leaders openly admire Orbán and appear to see themselves as the vanguard of a “post-liberal order.” They believe that the central tenets of democracy—free speech, religious liberty, academic freedom, equality before the law, and the ability of corporations to make decisions based on markets rather than religious values—have destroyed national virtue. Such a loss must be combated by a strong government that enforces religious values.

Right-wing thinkers have observed with approval that DeSantis’s Florida is “our American Hungary.” Indeed, DeSantis’s “Don’t Say Gay” law appears to have been modeled on Orbán’s attacks on LGBTQ rights, which he has called a danger to “Western civilization.” DeSantis’s attack on the New College of Florida, turning a bastion of liberal thought into a right-wing beachhead, imitated Orbán’s attack on Hungary’s universities; on Monday, DeSantis signed three more bills that undermine the academic freedom of all the state universities in Florida by restricting what subjects can be taught and by weakening faculty rights.

DeSantis’s attack on Disney is yet another attack on the tenets of liberal democracy. He is challenging the idea that Disney leaders can base business decisions on markets rather than religion and exercise free speech.

There is another aspect of the Republicans’ turn against democracy in the news today. If democracy is a threat to their version of the nation, it follows that any institution that supports democracy should be destroyed. Today, the House Select Subcommittee on the Weaponization of the Federal Government, led by Representative Jim Jordan (R-OH), continued its attack on the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Ranking member Representative Stacey Plaskett (D-VI) pointed out that Jordan was violating committee rules by refusing to let Democrats on the committee see the transcripts he claims to have from a whistleblower. Other committee members noted that two of the witnesses have been paid by Trump loyalist Kash Patel.

Plaskett warned: “The rules don’t apply when it comes to the Republicans.... It’s all part and parcel of the Republicans’ attempt to make Americans distrust our rule of law so that when 2024 comes around and should their candidate not win, more and more people will not believe the truth. The truth matters.”

And so does power. Although House Republicans are trying to protect Representative George Santos (R-NY), who was just indicted on 13 counts, by sending his case to the Republican-dominated Ethics Committee rather than allowing a vote on whether to expel him, Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) introduced articles of impeachment against President Biden.

Also today, the far-right House Freedom Caucus has called for an end to any discussions of raising the debt ceiling until the Senate passes its bill calling for extreme budget cuts. Forcing the nation into default will cause a global economic panic and, asked if they should compromise with the White House, Representative Bob Good (R-VA) said: “Why would we? We have a winning hand.”

hcr
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 19 May, 2023 03:45 am
@revelette1,
Following Brexit the populist vote has collapsed over here, not only were the Tories drubbed in the local elections but Brexit supporting parties like UKIP and Reform were pretty much wiped out.

We're one of the few, (if not only) western countries where that has happened, and all it took was the Tories screwing up the economy and the NHS.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 19 May, 2023 05:55 am
https://image.caglecartoons.com/274694/600/suay-chokehold-killing.png
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 19 May, 2023 05:57 am
@izzythepush,
https://i0.wp.com/www.dailycartoonist.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/fwurn7pwcaivw87.png
izzythepush

Reply Fri 19 May, 2023 06:40 am
@bobsal u1553115,
There's been a meeting of right wing Tories which has been farcical.

The only thing they've succeeded in doing is making Sunak weaker.

They are still trying to portray Brexit as an anti establishment movement while the opposite is true.

Public Schoolboys like Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees Mogg are about as establishment as it gets.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Fri 19 May, 2023 09:29 am
@izzythepush,
You would have to explain to me in private I guess exactly what all the parties are and who they represent, far right thinking or middle/left/far thinking and how each comes to power. I've never understood it really.

But are you saying that those who came to power with Brexit have now lost most of their support and/or power?

From what I can understand with our current political situation, the far right has figured out they can destroy the government only from within the government so they've been dedicated to that end, the smarter ones anyway. Unfortunately, they have succeeded in finding ways to game the political government to their advantage. Most of us are screwed as Frank put it.

I am tempted to find some kind of place to go where we can just lament our situation and find distractions to cheer us up. It seems for a while anyway while these judges are in lifetime positions, there is not much we can do unless, those who are far right start to change their thinking. Unless I am making the situation worse than it really is. I hope so.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 19 May, 2023 11:08 am
@revelette1,
UKIP never won a Westminster election, the couple of MPs they did have were defectors from the Conservative Party.

Having said that they dominated the European Parliament elections.

People tended to be single issue in that, drip fed a diet of straight bananas and Brussels bureaucracy from right wing newspapers made UKIP a factor.

A lot of that was down to the creepy charisma of Nigel Farage, he left to form the Brexit Party which did very well in the last European elections we were part of.

Now European elections are no more, but both UKIP and Brexit had representatives on city and town councils.

Not any more, following the council elections a few weeks ago UKIP was reduced to a handful of parish councillors.

The parish is the very lowest tier of local government.

The simple answer is Brexit has been a complete disaster. The idiots who voted for it were sold a land of milk and honey that never materialised. We have a corrupt and incompetent government whose own right wing is trying to form its own vision of an even more disastrous Brexit.

People are sick to death of the Tories. The council elections showed a lot of tactical voting. People didn't vote for their party, they voted for the candidate most likely to defeat the sitting conservative.

That looks like it may be the case at yhe general election with Labour voters tactically voting Liberal and vice versa depending on who is best suited to win.

At the next election Labour will be the largest party, the question is whether thdy will have an outright majority or have to go into voalition with the Liberals.

The Tories are scaremongering about a coalition of chaos, but it's not working, people are sick of the Tories, anything is preferable.

revelette1

Reply Fri 19 May, 2023 11:49 am
@izzythepush,
I have read lots of historical romances set with aristocrats (in my day they weren't like the current Bridgeton movie series) mostly with rich or posh as they call it on Brit TV, who were the Tories then. Is it still like that? Kind of like what we call the 1% except with titles passed down through the generations.

I am posting here with a different system and I don't think I can do most of the features, pretty sure I can't use my spell checker anyway.

Here some of rich and powerful might really be racist against everybody but themselves, but most of them just do it as bait I think to reel in the folks who otherwise would be better off voting democrat and/or independent.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 19 May, 2023 12:38 pm
@revelette1,
Back then there were Whigs and Tories, but only aristocrats had the vote anyway.

The Conservatives are our right wing main party. Some of them are almost as right wing as your Republicans. Most however, support the NHS, (at least publicly,) and support the monarchy. So they're not republican in that sense.

The Labour Party only formed when eofking class men got the vote. They're our mainstream left wing party, left of your Democrats, and the Liberals are in the middle.

Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland have their own parties as well.
hightor

Reply Sat 20 May, 2023 04:25 am
Quote:
Yesterday the far-right House Freedom Caucus called for an end to any discussions of raising the debt ceiling until the Senate passes its bill calling for extreme budget cuts. Today, former president Trump announced on his social media channel that “REPUBLICANS SHOULD NOT MAKE A DEAL ON THE DEBT CEILING UNLESS THEY GET EVERYTHING THEY WANT (Including the ‘kitchen sink’).” THAT’S THE WAY THE DEMOCRATS HAVE ALWAYS DEALT WITH US. DO NOT FOLD!!!”

(In reality, Congress raised the debt ceiling without conditions three times when Trump was president as Trump added an astonishing almost $7.8 trillion to the national debt, much of it thanks to his tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations before the coronavirus pandemic hit.)

Immediately after Trump’s demand, the Republicans walked away from negotiations over the budget that they are demanding before they will vote to raise the debt ceiling.

Then, hours later, they came back to the table.

Meanwhile, the headline in the Washington Post read: “World watches in disbelief and horror as U.S. nears possible default.” The story by Rachel Siegel and Jeff Stein revealed that at the meeting of the G7 leaders in Hiroshima, Japan, this week, the finance ministers for the G7—Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the European Union—have been pulling U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen aside to ask her what is going to happen.

“Around the world,” Siegel and Stein write, “experts have been watching in disbelief as the U.S. flirts with its first default, fearful of the potential international economic ramifications—and astonished by the global superpower’s brush with self-sabotage.”

“[T]he debate over the debt ceiling is unnerving,” Michal Baranowski, managing director of the German Marshall Fund of the U.S. told Siegel and Stein. “We really need the U.S. as a strong leader in world affairs during this time of deep global instability. I worry that the debt ceiling debate burns up valuable political oxygen that I would rather the U.S. spend for leadership abroad. It makes the U.S. look inward-looking, at best.”

Time is running out for Congress to pass a measure that will raise the debt ceiling.

Meanwhile, today at the G7 meeting—which Ukraine president Volodymyr Zelensky will attend—leaders announced a new slate of sanctions on more than 300 targets designed to block workarounds that have permitted Russia to continue its war against Ukraine. “Today’s actions will further tighten the vise on [Russian president Vladimir] Putin’s ability to wage his barbaric invasion and will advance our global efforts to cut off Russian attempts to evade sanctions,” Treasury Secretary Yellen said in a statement.

In retaliation, Russia announced that it would not allow consular access to Wall Street Journal reporter Evan Gershkovich, who was arrested in March on false charges of espionage. It also banned a somewhat random list of 500 Americans from entering Russia, including former president Barack Obama, comedian Stephen Colbert, 45 members of the House of Representatives, former ambassadors to Russia, various journalists, and me (!), accusing us of being hostile to Russia.

The statement also aligned Putin with far-right Republicans who back Trump, blaming those on the list for being “directly involved in the persecution of dissidents in the wake of the so-called ‘storm of the Capitol.’” One of those banned was Michael Byrd, the Capitol Police officer who killed Ashley Babbitt as she attempted to break into the chamber of the House of Representatives, where more than 60 representatives and staffers were holed up, on January 6, 2021.

Also today, Washington, D.C., police lieutenant Shane Lamond was arrested on charges that he warned Enrique Tarrio, the leader of the Proud Boys, that he was about to be arrested just before January 6, 2021, and then lied about it to investigators. As head of the department’s intelligence unit, Lamond monitored extremist groups but appeared to support the Proud Boys. “Of course I can’t say it officially,” Lamond told Tarrio in a message on January 8, “but personally I support you all and don’t want to see your group’s name or reputation dragged through the mud.”

The Republicans’ threat to blow up the U.S. economy—and, with it, the global economy—comes at a time when the economy is, in fact, quite strong and President Biden’s measures have significantly reduced the deficit after Republican tax cuts exploded it. Destroying the economy on Biden’s watch would undoubtedly help to hamstring his reelection campaign. It would also kill popular support for his return to a government that supports ordinary Americans rather than concentrating wealth at the top of the economy, as Republicans insist—contrary to economic studies—will expand the economy and benefit everyone.

Their attack on the economy is more than that, though: it is an attack on the nation’s global standing. Yesterday, Christopher Chivvis, the director of the American Statecraft Program at the Carnegie Endowment, wrote that the debt ceiling crisis brings into question “how serious Washington is about leading the world…. In an era of global strategic competition, the United States will be entering the ring with one hand tied behind its back if its leaders can’t make progress on their domestic disagreements and moderate vicious political polarization.”

“Foreign leaders will doubt American reliability more and more, hurting Washington’s relationships with the very countries whose loyalty it’s competing for with Beijing,” he wrote, as other countries doubt that the U.S. can commit to a program for longer than a single administration. Moreover, the crisis will hurt the power of the dollar, whose domination of the international monetary system has brought the U.S. extraordinary advantages.

“Washington’s dysfunction also helps its autocratic adversaries in the global contest over ideology,” Chivvis notes.

Indeed.

hcr
revelette1

Reply Sat 20 May, 2023 07:43 am
@izzythepush,
It would be interesting to study the history of the change of the working class English getting the right to vote.

blatham

Reply Sat 20 May, 2023 07:48 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
The Labour Party only formed when eofking class men got the vote.

My brethren.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 20 May, 2023 07:56 am
@revelette1,
It's a series of small steps, starting witn the Glorious Revolution where William III, who was Dutch, cede a lot of power to Parliament.

In 1832 voting was rationalsed and expanded to the Middle Classes.

1867 was the big one in which most Working Class men got the vote, which was extended in 1884 to give most men the vote, but women didn't get the vote until 1918.

0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Sat 20 May, 2023 07:57 am
@hightor,
As debt ceiling fight rages, Democrats bring up an old idea: Abolish it

Doubt they do as they never have come close to having the votes according to the above, but it would be a great idea.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 20 May, 2023 08:11 am
McCarthy as a youth ... default is like eating worms.

https://assets.amuniversal.com/1d7508509b67013be947005056a9545d.png
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 20 May, 2023 08:33 am
@revelette1,
This explains it better than I could.

https://blog.nationalarchives.gov.uk/universal-manhood-suffrage/#:~:text=The%20fourth%20and%20final%20Reform,more%20than%202.6%20million%20people.