Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

snood

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2023 01:17 am
@bobsal u1553115,
He certainly should be toast. Several times over. Burnt to a crisp.

Do you remember the military torture scandal that was uncovered at Abu Ghraib back during the Iraq War in 2004?

If you don’t, here’s a quick Wikipedia refresher: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Ghraib_torture_and_prisoner_abuse

Anyway, my point is that the directive to torture came directly from the desk and demented mind of the Secretary of Defense at that time - Donald Rumsfeld. Although George W. Bush clearly knew about it and owns some culpability, Abu Ghraib was Rumsfeld’s baby.

The only people who got punished for the well-documented crimes against humanity that occurred at Abu Ghraib were 17 soldiers and officers. The punishments ranged from courts-martial and dishonorable discharges to prison time. The harshest sentences were ten years and three years for two soldiers - Staff Sergeant Graner and PFC England. The Brigadier General who was in charge of all detention facilities in Iraq only received a reprimand and demotion to Colonel.

See, that’s the way the powerful police themselves in this country, Bobsal. I have seen it time and time again. We’ve ALL seen it.

For Donald Trump to receive anything close to what he deserves, our Justice Department will have to act totally outside of their character, and punish the powerful person who was clearly responsible, and not just make a show out of hanging peons out to dry.

I think my doubts are more well-founded than the faith some seem to have in our system of justice.

In simple fact, I’m still scratching my head trying to figure out why some people here seem to get so agitated when I express that doubt.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2023 06:12 am
@snood,
They are all beginning to get what's coming to them.

Fox News apologizes to judge overseeing Dominion case: 'This was a misunderstanding'
Source: ABC News

April 15, 2023, 10:33 PM

Fox News has formally apologized to the judge overseeing Dominion's $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit after a late-stage admission revealing Rupert Murdoch's role as an officer at Fox News was addressed in court this week.

In a letter submitted to the court on Friday, Fox attorney Blake Rohrbacher described the situation as a "misunderstanding" and said they "understand the Court's concerns, apologize, and are committed to clear and full communication with the Court moving forward." The letter comes after Fox was sanctioned this week after Judge Eric Davis said they made misrepresentations to the court and delayed turning over evidence.

Specifically, Dominion's attorneys said that the network had concealed Murdoch's official role as an officer at Fox News until days before trial-- a late stage admission they said prevented them from obtaining more evidence regarding him. Davis had said Fox had been "evasive," noting he had personally asked them about it during an earlier hearing, and asked 'What do I do with attorneys that aren't straightforward with me?"

Judge Davis said he would "most likely" appoint a special master to investigate whether representations by Fox made to the court as part of the case were "untrue or negligent." He also ordered Fox attorneys to preserve all communications related to the issue. "I'm very uncomfortable right now," Davis said. "I'm going to let you know -- I'm very uncomfortable."

Read more: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/fox-news-apologizes-judge-overseeing-dominion-case-misunderstanding/story?id=98612998

Fox news apologizing? Maybe pigs do fly.
snood

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2023 07:14 am
@bobsal u1553115,
You include Trump in that “they”, I take it? You really believe Trump is going to take a real fall? Like, convicted and sentenced with more than a fine or a couple of days detained?
blatham

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2023 07:22 am
Quoting the Wall Street Journal...
Quote:
The people in the online spaces where Airman First Class Jack Teixeira spent his time and allegedly leaked highly classified documents had many things in common. In obscure game forums and private online chat rooms, his friends posted slurs against minority communities, Ukrainians and pretty much everyone else.

Everyone, that is, except Russians.

Members of that small community, hosted on the social-media app Discord, admired President Vladimir Putin’s regime and its war on Ukraine.

Josh Marshall at TPM comments...
Quote:
Trump Youth.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2023 09:02 am
Russians boasted that just 1% of fake social profiles are caught, leak shows
Quote:
The estimate is contained in a document that is part of a trove of top secret material leaked in a Discord chatroom

The Russian government has become far more successful at manipulating social media and search engine rankings than previously known, boosting lies about Ukraine’s military and the side effects of vaccines with hundreds of thousands of fake online accounts, according to documents recently leaked on the chat app Discord.

The Russian operators of those accounts boast that they are detected by social networks only about 1 percent of the time, one document says.

That claim, described here for the first time, drew alarm from former government officials and experts inside and outside social media companies contacted for this article.

“Google and Meta and others are trying to stop this, and Russia is trying to get better. The figure that you are citing suggests that Russia is winning,” said Thomas Rid, a disinformation scholar and professor at Johns Hopkins University’s School of Advanced International Studies.

The undated analysis of Russia’s effectiveness at boosting propaganda on Twitter, YouTube, TikTok, Telegram and other social media platforms cites activity in late 2022 and was apparently presented to U.S. military leaders in recent months.

Since that's by the "whistleblower [who] is being smeared by the government agencies", Lash certainly will aplaude.
blatham

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2023 10:09 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Russians boasted that just 1% of fake social profiles are caught, leak shows

I see little reason to doubt this figure.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2023 11:53 am
@snood,
I am willing to give the system a chance to work before I sign up for the revolution. I like my hair and have no desire to set it on fire.

This is not all played out yet. We sat through his four year term, and I know prosecution for the level of the crimes he's facing takes years for even the rest of us. Look how long it took to get John Gotti.
snood

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2023 12:20 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

I am willing to give the system a chance to work before I sign up for the revolution. I like my hair and have no desire to set it on fire.

That would be an even pithier and fitting quip, had I ever said anything that suggested I was joining a revolution or going ‘hair on fire’ insane.

Does anyone who doesn’t have much faith in our system to punish a Trump have to be characterized as crazy, or foolishly impatient?

I think my reasoning on the subject is pretty sober and sound.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2023 12:43 pm
@snood,
Sometimes, snood, I'm talking about me and not trying to put attitudes or words onto anyone else on the planet.

I think you are reasonable and rational.

I was talking about my hair, and my attitude.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2023 05:47 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
JFC, tell me you realize the MIC wrote this bumbling dreck, made sure red shorts boy got his hands on it, planning to use their propaganda to further manipulate nincompoops, and to point the country to the whole psyop as a reason to submit to the Soviet-styled Restrict Act.

They create a new crisis, they *solve* the crisis (with the new pre-planned encroachment on public freedoms), and gather ‘round the campfire planning the next crisis.
hightor

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2023 02:30 am
@Lash,
Huh?
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2023 02:52 am
Quote:
There is more news about Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and his misreporting of his financial connections. This morning, Shawn Boburg and Emma Brown of the Washington Post reported that for twenty years, Thomas has reported rental income totaling hundreds of thousands of dollars from a real estate firm that was shut down in 2006.

The misstatement might be dismissed as a problem with paperwork, the authors note. “But it is among a series of errors and omissions that Thomas has made on required annual financial disclosure forms over the past several decades, a review of those records shows. Together, they have raised questions about how seriously Thomas views his responsibility to accurately report details about his finances to the public.”

The cascade of stories about Thomas threatens to continue to undermine the legitimacy of this Supreme Court.

Last night, the nation suffered one mass shooting in Dadeville, Alabama, that killed four people and wounded twenty-eight others, and another in Louisville, Kentucky, that killed two and wounded four. On Friday, Republican hopefuls for the 2024 presidential nomination courted members of the National Rifle Association, the NRA, at the organization’s 2023 annual convention, promising looser gun laws.

South Dakota governor Kristi Noem complained about liberals who “want to take our guns,” and boasted that her granddaughter, who is not yet two, has a shotgun and a rifle.

Meanwhile, the Biden administration continues to focus on rebalancing the Indo-Pacific to counter China. Just two weeks after the fiftieth anniversary of the U.S. withdrawal from Vietnam and nearly thirty years after the restoration of diplomatic ties in 1995, the U.S. has broken ground on a new $1.2 billion embassy compound in the Vietnamese capital of Hanoi. Secretary of State Antony Blinken met with Vietnamese Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh yesterday and vowed to “broaden and deepen” relations between the two countries.

Vice President Kamala Harris, Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin, U.S. Trade Representative Katherine Tai, U.S. Agency for International Development administrator Samantha Power, and members of Congress have all visited Vietnam recently as part of a long-term strategy to help area friends and allies counterbalance China in the Indo-Pacific region.

Yesterday, Blinken emphasized how the U.S. and Vietnam, working together, “can advance a free and open Indo-Pacific, one that is at peace and grounded in respect for the rules-based international order.” But, as Vietnam has a one-party communist government, he explained, “When we talk about ‘free and open,’ we mean countries being free to choose their own path and their own partners and that problems will be dealt with openly; rules will be reached transparently and applied fairly; and goods, ideas, and people will flow freely across land, the seas, the skies, and cyberspace.”

Vice President Harris spoke yesterday at a march for reproductive rights in Los Angeles, where she emphasized how deeply our international standing depends on our commitment to freedom at home. “I’ve been traveling around the world as your Vice President,” she said. “When we, as Americans, walk in those rooms around the world, we have traditionally walked in those rooms, shoulders back, chin up, having some authority to talk about the importance of rule of law, human rights.

“But here’s the thing we all know about what it means to be a role model: People watch what you do to see if it matches what you say. So let us understand that what is happening in our nation right now, by extension, can impact people around the world who dare to say, ‘I want my country to be like the United States and protect rights.’ And those autocrats and those dictators might look at those folks and say, ‘What are you pointing to as the example?’”

“We are seeing, around the country, in a myriad of ways, those who would dare to attack fundamental rights and, by extension, attack our democracy,” Harris said. “Around our country, supposed so-called extremist leaders…dare to silence the voices of the people.”

“A United States Supreme Court, the highest court in our land, that took a constitutional right that had been recognized from the people of America.

“We have seen attacks on voting rights; attacks on fundamental rights to love and marry the people that you love; attacks on the ability of people to be themselves and be proud of who they are.

“And so, this is a moment that history will show required each of us, based on our collective love of our country, to stand up and fight for and protect our ideals…. [W]e have been called upon to be the next generation of the people who will help lead and fight in this movement for freedom and liberty based on our love of our country…. [W]e stand for our democracy. And we stand for foundational and fundamental principles that have everything to do with freedom, liberty, and equality for all people.”

hcr
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2023 06:45 am
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2023 07:16 am
I'm often hesitant to post too much of Umair Haque's writings. Unlike Heather Cox Richardson's carefully-considered daily essays, Mr. Haque often borders on alarmism. And maybe he should be raising an alarm, considering the crap that's taking place in front of our eyes. But I don't want to diminish the effect of his hyperbole through overexposure!

Quote:
Over the last couple of days, we’ve been talking about the indictment of Donald Trump. I want to offer a few closing thoughts — for now, anyways. How much does this matter? A great, great deal. To understand why, really, though, consider the context, which goes like this. America’s in a pitched battle — still — for the survival of its democracy.

In an irony that would’ve made Marx proud, America’s fanatics have learned to seize control of the means of democracy itself. They’re taking control of the basic workings of democracy from the bottom up. Fanatics contest school board seats, shouting death threats at teachers. In Wisconsin, a figure who was involved in putting forth fake slates of electors is now…in a heated race for sitting on the state Supreme Court. In Florida, of course, the laboratory of American extremism, Ron DeSantis has become an expert in decentralizing power, and handing it to fanatics, who are then able to ban books, words.

What was once a battle for American democracy from the top down has become one from the bottom up. State after Red State is turning dystopian, at light speed — banning everything from womens’ rights to LGTBQ rights. Parents and kids are scared. Teachers and classes are criminalized. There seems to be no end or bottom to this race. Vigilante paramilitaries. Tip lines. Shadow institutions, reminiscent of Gestapos and SS’s. And this contest is about taking inalienable rights — which belong to everyone — away.

This is an evolution in collapse. How did it happen? Because the top-down approach failed. Trump ascended to power, and then did his absolute worst — to the point that those of us who warned what was coming feared. As the Jan 6th Commission went on to reveal, there really as a “sophisticated plan” to “overthrow democracy,” right down to overturning the election, declaring it “null and void,” instituting martial law, and holding another one, under military surveillance. The stuff of dystopian fiction — and yet it came within a hairs’ breadth of reality.

And yet while many Americans hope that all that — the failure of a coup, after years of top-down attempts to corrode and overthrow democracy — would be enough to win this battle for it, it wasn’t. The fanatics haven’t given up. If anything, they’ve doubled down, in increasingly absurd ways. If I’d told you a decade ago that a figure who sent fake slates of electors to Congress was in shouting distance of winning a seat on a state Supreme Court — thus giving him the power to fully do it next time — you might have laughed at me. But this is where America is.

Not enough Americans fully grasp this. It is now in a pitched battle for the survival of its democracy. That battle has moved on into a second phase, in a textbook fashion. Having failed at the top-down approach — soft coup, hard coup — fanatics have learned that they can kick democracy’s foundations out from below, make it crumble from the bottom up. And so they’re doing just that, in increasingly organized, systematic, unified ways.

It’s hardly a coincidence that Red State after Red State is pursuing just the same anti-democratic agenda. And no, just because a majority of people “agree” to something doesn’t make it democratic — especially not when that thing is taking inalienable rights away, which is the beating heart of this project of democracy. This is a pilot program for what they’d like to do to the country, should a fanatic win the Presidency again. Because of course the ace up their sleeve is a Supreme Court which, already having taken womens’ rights away, will rubber stamp any form of theocracy, fascism, or authoritarianism, more likely than not.

The evolution of the battle for American democracy — it needs to be understood very, very clearly by every American still interested in having a modern society. And right now, its not — not enough, yet. Because when that point is grasped, the question then arises: how do you win this battle?

The troubling fact — and we know this from watching such phases of democratic destabilization elsewhere — is that this is a much harder battle to win. Saving democracy from the top down is what happened — to a degree — in America after Jan 6th. At the last, Jan 6th failed, due to almost miraculous combination of circumstances — a handful of brave officers, a sudden feeling of revulsion, a sense that things had gone too far. But how do you save a democracy when it’s under attack from the bottom up? It’s much, much harder to do.

Precisely because when a democracy’s under attack from the bottom up, well, everything seems “democratic.” Hey, didn’t Florida elect Ron DeSantis? And if all those school boards full of fanatics want to ban books, well, isn’t that democratic, too? And so what if a state wants to take rights away from women, the LGBTQ, minorities, kids, everyone else — if a majority agrees, that’s democratic, too! Wrong. None of that is democratic, and this is precisely the moment that a democracy must have teeth.

A democracy must have teeth. To protect itself.
From not just top down, but also, worse, bottom up attacks. But the trick is this. Bottom up attacks are never just that. They’re led, inspired, guided, incited. And it’s in that way that bringing a movement’s leaders — one devoted to destabilizing a democracy politically — matters intensely.

The ways that we protect a democracy from bottom up attacks are these. We make sure that we fearlessly investigate and prosecute even the movements’ leaders. Even its very top figurehead — the one who has built his image and his bond with the flock by flaunting the fact that he can get away with anything, and thus creating a mythos of invulnerability.

When we do that — when democracy does that — then the signal is also sent: if we are willing to investigate and prosecute your most powerful figure, then, well, maybe you should think twice. That begins to break the back and momentum of the movement which is attacking democracy from the bottom up, because of course, all of those aspiring demagogues are less powerful than the figurehead.

Let’s go back to the figure running for state Supreme Court, who helped put together a plan to send fake electors to Congress. We take it for granted today in America that such a figure can run for a powerful office, but this is a major failure of democracy itself. No accountability has been had here. If you or I — on the democratic side, even if we’re not card carrying “Democrats” — did that? LOL, we’d have been in trouble long ago. With Lord knows whom, state offices, the FBI, the Department of Justice. But the other side is able to get away with it — to the point that figures involved in the last coup are running for highly powerful offices now, from which they can subvert and pervert the next election. Such a figure shouldn’t be able to run for high level office. It’s flatly absurd to think that someone who participated in a coup should have a seat on a Supreme Court.

So democracy must have teeth. The investigations and prosecutions must start at the top, and trickle down to the bottom. That is how we prevent democracy being attacked and dismantled from the bottom up. That way, a clear message is sent. We will defend democracy, with all our might, and throw the book at you, wherever we find evidence of abuse of power. Have you been involved with, LOL, the last coup attempt? Sorry, you’re out of the running — now, you’re in the crosshairs of this investigation, that prosecution. Are you involved with ongoing attempts to subvert and pervert democracy? Sorry, you’re out, too — we’re going to use the powers of democracy, while they exist, to punish you.

None of that is remotely “political prosecution.” If you were involved with a coup, you were trying to overthrow democracy, and democracy has every right to hold you to account. If you’re out there contesting an office so that you can take people’s rights away, democratic accountability has every right to know why, what your motives are, what kind of backing you have, and who is also attached to such a goal. If you’re out there stamping on inalienable rights, democracy’s antennae should indeed be raised, and it should eminently ask why someone would want to do such a thing. Whether or not its constitutional, to begin with, and then to ask whether or not such goals are being attempted legally — because of course, history tells us that they’re often usually not.

Let’s delve into that point for a second. You see, despite the fact that our media equivocates, attacking and defending democracy are not the same thing. If I am enacting democracy, I’m just walking down the street peacefully. There’s a couple holding hands, passing me by — it doesn’t matter who or what they are — and I wave hello. We smile and go on with our day. But if I’m attacking democracy, that is inherently unpeaceful. Maybe I don’t smile at that couple. Maybe I spit at them. Insult them. Mock them, deride them. You see my point.

Attacking democracy is inherently many things. It inherently involves, for example, Big Lies. It is a fact, long established, not just scientifically, but socially, that, yes, why, people really are equal in their personhood. To attack democracy is to tell the Big Lie — inherently — that some people are more people than others, that some are superhumans, and some are subhumans. There is no getting away from this fact — go ahead, turn it over in your head as many ways as you like. Either we’re all equal — democratic value — or we’re not, and some are supreme over others.

What else is attacking democracy, inherently? Well, it’s violent. You see, another fundamental value of democracy — think of my example above — is peace. But when you want to take people’s rights away? You have do it violently, and more to the point, it lets violence happen, too. Let’s take another example, America’s endless gun massacres. They’re protrayed, in America’s foolish discourse, as rights for gun owners, but in fact what is happening here is that others are losing their rights — their rights to live, exist, breathe, not have their bodies torn open by bullets. Taking rights away enables, reinforces, enacts violence.

So attacking democracy is a lot of things, inherently — and none of them are good. I mean that in the classical sense: good, as in, what is best for all of us, by way of what is best for each of us. It may be good for you, in some narrow sense of power and money and a cheap thrill, to make me sit at the back of the bus, to take womens’ rights away — but it’s a grave loss for society, for the future, to history. Democracy itself is not the neutral system we are supposed to imagine it is: it is there to elevate the good, let us all enact it, and defend us all against harm.

Defend us all against harm. Real harm. Not the imagined harm that the far right now specializes in. Who’s really hurt, the kids that get killed in a gun massacre — or the gun nut whose obsession might have to be curtailed a little bit? Who’s really hurt, the kids that can’t read banned books, the society that loses integrity, history, memory, truth — or the parents who say that not banning those books hurts their feelings?

You know the Hippocratic oath? First, do no harm. My lovely wife took it when she became a doctor, in an amphitheatre full of colleagues. What a wonderful, moving moment — much more so than I expected. An ancient ritual, the passing of a torch. A democratic value. Democracy is like that. In it’s simplest interpretation, first of all, it is there to defend us all against harm. Not imagined harms, claims made in bad faith by fanatics — hey, your daughter or wife having a right hurts me!! — but real harms.

So what’s a real harm? Well, that’s where the justice system comes in. It’s precisely the job of investigators and prosecutors to charge that. Juries to try it. Judges to punish it. And on one level, it’s obvious what real harms aren’t. How can me having the right to sit anywhere on the bus — just like you — harm anyone? How can my wife or daughter having a right harm you? How can two people walking down the street holding hands hurt you? You can claim it does, but of course, that’s an absurd claim usually made in bad faith. Real harms are those which genuinely damage the possibilities, choices, and most of all, the basic freedoms we enjoy in a democracy.

Now let’s go back to bottom up attacks. What are bottom up attacks? They’re attempts to inflict those real harms on a local level, usually, or upon some part of a social group, to take rights away in this state, or for these people in this city, town, region — unlike attacks from the top down, which, in true authoritarian fashion, might apply to everyone across a land, or a whole social group. But those smaller attacks, joined up, can do even more damage, paradoxically, than top down attacks, because now there is a whole fabric of institutionalized hate to try and unweave.

Now you should see a little better how to defend a democracy from bottom up attacks. The figurehead inspiring these attacks — even if they’re adept at denying responsibility — must be challenged and taken down. Their mythos of invulnerability must be damaged and tarnished, so the myth stops spreading that you can attack democracy and get away with it. And then that justice must trickle down, from top to bottom, so that every form of inflicting real harm on people, even at smaller levels, is something that’s vigorously defended against.

Attacking democracy, remember, goes hand in hand with lies, violence, corruption — it’s not as if history doesn’t tell us that over and over again. Look for a crime, when malign figures are attacking democracy, and more often than not, you’ll find one. How is it that backing a coup, for example, doesn’t disqualify you from running from high office? If that isn’t conspiracy and sedition, what is?

All that precisely where and why democracy must have teeth. And it’s in this sense that Trump’s indictment matters. Merrick Garland’s been — to put it kindly — dragging his feet along the world’s longest boardwalk. The Jan 6th Commission is ancient history, and even though it handed him a case on a silver platter, he’s still…anyone know? Nervously eating endless breadsticks at the Olive Garden? Playing the world’s longest hand of bridge?

Perhaps this will be the crack in the dam. Maybe this means that American democracy is finally waking up, and beginning to defend itself. So far, it’s done a particularly, notably, strikingly poor job of that — which is why there are figures who were involved in the last coup, running for high office, laying the groundwork for the next dozen. Democracy must have teeth, my friends, if it is to survive. It can’t play nice with bad guys, which is what it’s been doing, too much, so far. It must do what it’s meant to do. First, no harm, and then justice, to those who do.

medium
revelette1

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2023 08:17 am
@hightor,
You're right, the article is not hyperbole in any way. In Texas and Missouri, they are defunding libraries.

Quote:
“The problem, though, is that Missouri Republicans aren’t the only ones mounting up against libraries. Late last month, Rep. Clay Higgins, R-La., tweeted: ‘Over time, American communities will build beautiful, church owned public-access libraries. I’m going to help these churches get funding. We will change the whole public library paradigm. The libraries regular Americans recall are gone. They’ve become liberal grooming centers.'”

https://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/2023/04/just-like-public-pools-were-closed-in-the-south-shock-as-state-and-local-governments-try-to-shutter-public-libraries/
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2023 08:26 am
@snood,
I remember that, what a disgrace that was. I remember being very disappointed in Obama for wanting to look forward, not backward concerning it all.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2023 08:43 am
Longtime Trump nemesis joins Manhattan DA's case
https://www.rawstory.com/matthew-colangelo-trump-2659865557/

'A longtime adversary to Donald Trump could be the secret weapon in the Manhattan district attorney's case against the former president...Matthew Colangelo has aggressively pursued Trump for years, first for the New York attorney general, then at the Department of Justice and now for district attorney Alvin Bragg's team of prosecutors, and his lengthy experience will be instrumental in proving the charges against the first ex-president to face felony charges, reported The Daily Beast.

His team sued to dissolve the Trump Foundation in June 2018 in a case they eventually won after proving the then-president used the charity to fund then-Florida attorney general Pam Bondi, and Colangelo fought against many of the Trump's right-wing initiatives for the state attorney general's office.

"Indeed, Colangelo’s record in court reads like an entirely separate indictment — against Trump for nearly every policy imaginable," The Daily Beast reported. "And it dates back to the former president’s very first day at the White House."'

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2023 09:03 am
Some answers from Jack Smith:

Jack E. Smith ⚖️
@7Veritas4
A smooth criminal, he is not.
12:25 PM · Apr 14, 2023

Mr. Will
@armada70128
·
Apr 14
So he’s lying to the IRS or lying to the banks. 🤔🤔🤔

Cheryl Parrett
@CherylParrett4
·
Apr 14
That's debatable, he's sure beat the system for more than 2 years.

Jack E. Smith ⚖️
@7Veritas4
·
Apr 14
The criminal Justice system is deliberate by design. The defendant is entitled to due process. The burden or proof rests entirely on the prosecution. Sprawling cases ranging from fraud to seditious conspiracy (proving intent) take time to build.

He hasn’t beaten anything yet.

Trans rights are human rights
@AliceMCole
·
Apr 14
When he says things like this, can it be used in the court case? Or is it just noise?

Jack E. Smith ⚖️
@7Veritas4
·
Apr 15
Anything he blurts out in the public square can be used in court

TJS271
@tjs271
·
Apr 14
I was wondering what was keeping them from charging Trump

Jack E. Smith ⚖️
@7Veritas4
·
Apr 14
He has been charged. The trial date is set.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2023 11:35 am
California Bar Slaps Trump Lawyer John Eastman with 11 Disciplinary Charges for 'False' Election Fraud

Source: Law & Crime

The California bar slapped former President Donald Trump’s attorney John Eastman with nearly a dozen disciplinary charges for “false and misleading statements” alleging fraud in the 2020 election.

The State Bar of California’s Chief Trial Counsel George Cardona intends to seek Eastman’s disbarment for alleged violations of Business and Professions Code section 6106, which punishes making false and misleading statements that constitute acts of “moral turpitude, dishonesty, and corruption.”

“There is nothing more sacrosanct to our American democracy than free and fair elections and the peaceful transfer of power,” Cardona said in a statement. “For California attorneys, adherence to the U.S. and California Constitutions is their highest legal duty. The Notice of Disciplinary Charges alleges that Mr. Eastman violated this duty in furtherance of an attempt to usurp the will of the American people and overturn election results for the highest office in the land — an egregious and unprecedented attack on our democracy — for which he must be held accountable.”

Eastman is the author of the so-called “coup memo,” a six-point plan to overturn the election results.

“The 11 charges arise from allegations that Eastman engaged in a course of conduct to plan, promote, and assist then-President Trump in executing a strategy, unsupported by facts or law, to overturn the legitimate results of the 2020 presidential election by obstructing the count of electoral votes of certain states,” the bar wrote in a press release.

Read more: https://lawandcrime.com/2020-election/california-bar-slaps-trump-lawyer-john-eastman-with-11-disciplinary-charges-for-false-election-fraud-statements/
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2023 11:56 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

California Bar Slaps Trump Lawyer John Eastman with 11 Disciplinary Charges for 'False' Election Fraud

Source: Law & Crime

The California bar slapped former President Donald Trump’s attorney John Eastman with nearly a dozen disciplinary charges for “false and misleading statements” alleging fraud in the 2020 election.

The State Bar of California’s Chief Trial Counsel George Cardona intends to seek Eastman’s disbarment for alleged violations of Business and Professions Code section 6106, which punishes making false and misleading statements that constitute acts of “moral turpitude, dishonesty, and corruption.”

“There is nothing more sacrosanct to our American democracy than free and fair elections and the peaceful transfer of power,” Cardona said in a statement. “For California attorneys, adherence to the U.S. and California Constitutions is their highest legal duty. The Notice of Disciplinary Charges alleges that Mr. Eastman violated this duty in furtherance of an attempt to usurp the will of the American people and overturn election results for the highest office in the land — an egregious and unprecedented attack on our democracy — for which he must be held accountable.”

Eastman is the author of the so-called “coup memo,” a six-point plan to overturn the election results.

“The 11 charges arise from allegations that Eastman engaged in a course of conduct to plan, promote, and assist then-President Trump in executing a strategy, unsupported by facts or law, to overturn the legitimate results of the 2020 presidential election by obstructing the count of electoral votes of certain states,” the bar wrote in a press release.

Read more: https://lawandcrime.com/2020-election/california-bar-slaps-trump-lawyer-john-eastman-with-11-disciplinary-charges-for-false-election-fraud-statements/

If justice prevails...Eastman and Trump will both serve time in prison.
0 Replies