Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

blatham

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2023 08:01 am
I haven't bothered to read Thomas Friedman for probably 3 or 4 years but I did today because he is writing on the present situation in Israel which is quickly becoming dire. It's a very good column. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/28/opinion/netanyahu-israel-palestinians-courts.html
hightor

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2023 11:01 am
@blatham,
I almost posted that column today. Friedman's no enemy of Israel and his anguished observations are heartfelt. Netanyahu is precisely the sort of leader Israel doesn't need but I'll bet the Republican strategists are watching very closely to see what techniques they can borrow and employ here.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2023 11:16 am
@hightor,
America supporting Netanyahu's brutality only helps Putin.

"America only cares about white people."
BillW

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2023 02:18 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

America supporting Netanyahu's brutality only helps Putin.

"America only cares about white people."

This is really rich, especially coming from a Brit. You come around these threads belittling the Yanks and pushing a line that approaches Limeys bringing nothing but the gates in heaven to all mankind. First, let me remind you that Britain own and sailed a vast majority of those ships that brought the slaves from African, chaining them below decks and often not even feeding them for the entire voyage. They even led parties in Africa that went into the bush, enslaving the natives.

America and Australia was populated by people that were escaping slavery in England. You called it indentured servants, but this was basically slavery.

The Bits committed many other "crimes" in other countries they invaded, conquered and ruled. Here is a brief writeup on only 10:

10 Atrocities Committed by the British Empire that They Would Like to Erase from History Books

https://historycollection.com/10-atrocities-committed-by-the-british-empire-that-they-would-like-to-erase-from-history-books/

"America only cares about white people." Ha, we learned it from Great Britain"

I have always been a critic of America and her bad history but you tend to believe England is some "shining savior" - bolderdash!
snood

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2023 02:25 pm
Hey, the white folks are feudin’!

If y’all promise to keep it going for a page or so, I’ll pop some corn!
hightor

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2023 02:32 pm
@snood,
Lemme see if I can find maxdancona – he could keep this going for quite a few pages! And then start a new thread on the same topic! Can I get you a beer?
snood

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2023 02:45 pm
@hightor,
Dude! Max would turn this into a cage match! I say go for it! Ix-Nay on the beer, I’m still a teetotaler. But we may have to stock up on snacks and sodas, if the fur really starts to fly!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2023 03:14 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
I almost posted that column today. Friedman's no enemy of Israel and his anguished observations are heartfelt. Netanyahu is precisely the sort of leader Israel doesn't need but I'll bet the Republican strategists are watching very closely to see what techniques they can borrow and employ here.

I suspect that's very likely. Certainly, America's religious right (already tightly allied with the right in Israel) will be further encouraged towards highly authoritarian "solutions".

Since news of Carter's health has emerged I've been thinking again about the right's avalanche of bad faith indictments of him while in office and which continues to the present. If one were to poll members of America's religious right and ask them who would better represent their values, Trump or Carter, we know the vast majority would say it is Trump. And very definitely Israel's right would give the same answer. That period, it seems to me, is where the movement conservative dynamic was becoming a real force in domestic politics and in order to help Reagan into office it became necessary to do whatever could be done to damage Carter's reputation. They just never changed their tune. Since at least that period of time, the right in Israel and the right in America have often worked in tandem because authoritarianism is the natural home for both.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2023 05:25 pm
@BillW,
I least I know what speech marks mean.

If you did you'd realise it was being attributed to Putin.

And you wonder why people call you stupid Americans.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2023 01:18 am
@BillW,
Eritrea voted against the UN resolution condemning the Russian invasion. Many African nations abstained. South Africa, remembering apartheid, actually took part in military excercises with the Russian and Chinese.

Anyone who had a rudimentary knowledge of world events and a familiarity with basic punctuation would know that.

That clearly does not include Pig ignorant bigots like you which is why you're going back on ignore.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2023 06:01 am
Quote:
Republican control of the House of Representatives has fed a changing dynamic. After decades of playing defense, the Democrats are going on offense.

Today, President Joe Biden visited Virginia Beach, Virginia, where he talked about protecting Medicare and Medicaid. He was careful—as he always is—to differentiate between “an awful lot of really good Republicans” and the “MAGA Republicans.” “There’s kind of like, in my view, sort of two Republican Parties.”

The MAGA Republicans, he said, “want to eliminate a lot of healthcare coverage,... increase costs for millions of Americans, and make deep cuts in programs that families and seniors depend on.” He spelled out that these cuts would mean that more than 100 million Americans with pre-existing conditions would lose coverage, and millions could lose basic services like maternity care, which the Affordable Care Act requires insurers to cover. Up to 3 million young adults would get kicked off their parents’ insurance, and the cost of premiums in general would go up.

Biden was getting ahead of what seems likely to be the Republican proposal to cut the budget dramatically in the new Congress and the more recent promise of House speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) to put the U.S. “on a path to a balanced budget” within ten years. Biden noted that Republicans have voted more than 50 times to change or repeal the Affordable Care Act since it passed 13 years ago. He also pointed to the fact that the chief budget consultant for the House Republicans is Trump’s former budget director Russell Vought.

Now that Republicans have committed to taking cuts to Social Security and Medicare off the table, Vought has a plan to cut $9 trillion from domestic programs over the next ten years by cutting more than $400 billion from food stamps, cutting hundreds of billions from education, cutting in half the State Department and the Labor Department, and cutting $2 trillion from Medicaid and more than $600 billion from the Affordable Care Act.

“America cannot be saved unless the current grip of woke and weaponized government is broken,” Vought says in his proposal. “That is the central and immediate threat facing the country—the one that all our statesmen must rise tall to vanquish…. The battle cannot wait.”

But, as Jeff Stein, Josh Dawsey and Isaac Arnsdorf of the Washington Post point out, Vought’s stand is a little awkward, since he oversaw the explosion of the national debt as director of the Office of Management and Budget under Trump. In his first year as director, the debt grew by $1 trillion; in his second, by $4 trillion. Now he claims that the Biden administration is abusing its power by arresting people who participated in the January 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol and so must be reined in.

Vought’s proposal promises to balance the budget in ten years, but it also predicts the number of working people in the U.S. will increase by 14.5 million more people than the Congressional Budget Office says will enter the workforce. That surge—if it were to come—would push the economy to grow faster, thus reducing the deficit by an additional $3.8 trillion. But where the people will come from is a mystery.

One former Republican official told Stein, Dawsey, and Arnsdorf that Vought was “selling conservatives a fantasy, which is achieving a balanced budget without cutting anything popular. We’re going to balance the budget by ‘ending woke?’ Give me a break.”

Biden continues to push House Republicans to come up with a budget that will show the American people what they intend to cut. It’s hard to see how they can do that, with much of their conference refusing cuts in defense and with them now on the record as refusing cuts to Social Security and Medicare. The math of balancing the budget through cuts to other programs without raising taxes simply doesn’t work.

As G. William Hoagland, senior vice president of the Bipartisan Policy Center in Washington and a former GOP congressional staffer, said: “I’d be the last person to say you can’t find savings from improved efficiency or the elimination of some programs…. But there’s no way on God’s green earth you’re going to balance the budget in 10 years unless you’re talking about increasing revenues and slowing the rate of growth in some of our major entitlement programs.”

Today, Representative Jamie Raskin (D-MD) pointed out that the Republicans had added 25% of the U.S. debt under Trump and emphasized the economic successes of the Biden administration.

“In 2021, Biden and the Democrats got to work and passed the American Rescue Plan, which fueled a strong, equitable economic recovery with historic reductions in unemployment, poverty, and economic hardship,” Raskin said. “Real GDP increased by 5.7% that year, substantially surpassing pre-ARP forecasts by the Fed. By January 2022, the unemployment rate had decreased to 4%, again surpassing pre-ARP forecasts. Wages increased by 5.7% from the prior year, with the highest increases going to the lowest wage workers. Democratic policies have allowed the U.S. to absorb the shock of rising inflation engulfing the globe since 2020, a phenomenon that economists attribute to coronavirus supply chain disruptions and Russia’s bloody war of aggression in Ukraine.”

Democrats are also on offense as the extremists now in the majority are exposing their lack of understanding of how the government works. Both Raskin and Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) called out Republicans today for basic errors in drafting legislation, and witness Colin Kahl, the under secretary of defense for policy, embarrassed Representative Matt Gaetz (R-FL) in a hearing about aid to Ukraine after the congressman apparently thought he had found a “gotcha” story in the Global Times.

“I’m sorry, is this the Global Times from China?” Kahl asked. Gaetz said no, then checked and said yes, it was, asking if that made it untrustworthy. “As a general matter, I don’t take Beijing's propaganda at face value,” Kahl answered. Gaetz answered: “Fair enough.”

Raskin also called out Republicans for a “grammatical error”: their long-standing habit of using “Democrat” as an adjective as if it is an insult. Noting Colorado Republican representative Lauren Boebert’s reference to a “Democrat solution,” Raskin pointed out that “Democrat” is a noun, and Republicans should, in such cases, be using the adjective: “Democratic.”

He said he was beginning to suspect that this word usage was intended to be “an act of incivility”—as of course it is—and he turned the tables. Their grammatical error was “as if every time we mentioned the other party, it just came out…like: ‘Oh, the Banana Republican Party,’ as if we were to say that every time we mentioned ‘the Banana Republican member’ or ‘the Banana Republican plan,’ or the ‘Banana Republican conference.’” (The term “banana republic” refers to a country that is corrupt and badly governed.)

“But we wouldn’t do that,” he said. “So, out of pure political courtesy, when it’s an adjective, refer to the ‘Democratic’ congresswoman or the ‘Democratic’ member.”

The pressure on the Republicans is not going to let up. Biden has promised to release his budget on March 9, putting down “in detail every single thing—every tax that’s out there that I’m proposing…and what we’re going to cut, what we’re going to spend…. Just lay it on the table.”

“Republicans,” he said, “should do the same thing: lay their proposal on the table. And we can sit down, and we can agree, disagree. We can fight it out.”

But, divided as they are, can Republicans craft a budget they can agree on? And if so, will Americans like what they see? Biden seems to doubt it, and to have confidence that his plans more closely reflect what people want. Today, he promised: “When I introduce my budget, you’ll see that it’s going to invest in America, lower health costs, and protect and strengthen Social Security and Medicare while cutting the deficit more than $2 trillion over the next 10 years.”

hcr
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2023 08:58 am
Dark money and special deals: How Leonard Leo and his friends benefited from his judicial activism

A 'dark money group' tied to a former Federalist Society VP was 'dissolved' 3 days after report on Conway sale

There is no comparison at this time in political power between the left and the right. It's like comparing apples and peaches. The republicans of today have way more money, dedication and organization than the left does. It doesn't necessarily mean they have more popularity, just more power in government generally. When you control the courts, it is like you have the last say in everything.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2023 12:16 pm
@oralloy,
Because so-'called anti-whiteracism is nofhing but the excuse white racists use to deflect legitimate criticism of their racist behavior.

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2023 02:24 pm

https://iili.io/HV5v9zG.jpg
Lash

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2023 02:31 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

https://iili.io/HV5v9zG.jpg

You people do not realize the type of world you’re so gleefully and mindlessly ushering in.

First, it’s them.
Then, it’s you.

Don’t be a part of this Nazism.
vikorr

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2023 03:53 pm
@Lash,
Wait - so a news organisation that has been proven to have lied multiple times lies about the major fact of the election (ie who tried to overthrow democracy by selling a lie), should not face any sanction whatsoever?

Your version is 'Don't punish them - it's okay to repeatedly & knowingly sell a lie that could lead to the overthrow of our democracy'

Such major actions, when proven, should always invoke sanctions (whichever news organisation it is that does such things)
hightor

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2023 04:05 pm
Quote:
You people...

Great opening. Insulting your audience right from the start.
Quote:
First, it’s them.
Then, it’s you.

How profound.
Quote:
Don’t be a part of this Nazism.

Expecting news organizations to attempt to report events truthfully is Nazism?
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2023 04:07 pm
@hightor,
The Israeli Labor Party wasn't any better.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2023 06:05 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Wait - so a news organisation that has been proven to have lied multiple times lies about the major fact of the election (ie who tried to overthrow democracy by selling a lie), should not face any sanction whatsoever?

Your version is 'Don't punish them - it's okay to repeatedly & knowingly sell a lie that could lead to the overthrow of our democracy'

Such major actions, when proven, should always invoke sanctions (whichever news organisation it is that does such things)

First of all, I'm no fan of Fox. Second, lying in news reporting isn't a crime. Third, I dare you to give me one and only one example in your own words (not a link to someone else's words) of a lie they told.
Below viewing threshold (view)