Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

blatham

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 07:10 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Kyrsten Sinema Says She Will Leave the Democratic Party

I was thinking about this before the election as it was apparent that power in the Senate would be razor thin. But specifically, I was wondering what sorts of rewards McConnell might be offering her to abandon the Dems. That he would be trying this seems a certainty. I'm also not sure how this plays out now.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 07:28 am
@snood,
Quote:
I really do believe that the celebrity aspect of being a US Senator is the raison d’etre of this damned heifer.

I think so too. And if we're right, this makes her far more susceptible to manipulation than if her motivations were more honorable.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 07:33 am
@snood,
It's pretty damn clear to me that race/misogyny has something to with any quibble about Griner's getting home first.

I am glad when any American gets home from the Russian "justice" system. I also think that the charges against both were way over the top compared to what was going on. But that Griner's was the least complicated to resolve. I'm glad she's home, she should have been deported as soon as the jury came in and the judge made the sentence.

I've only seen bits and pieces of her playing, she definitely is a power player.
snood

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 08:24 am
@bobsal u1553115,
She is talented. Little bit of a hothead sometimes, but she’s maturing. From what I’ve seen of her I think there’s a really good heart inside that lanky frame.
revelette1

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 08:48 am
@snood,
I think racism and homophobia have a lot to do with the negatives of people's reaction. If she was lighter, cuter, straight...people would be celebrating and never mind the rest.
revelette1

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 08:54 am
Quote:
Senator Kyrsten Sinema (AZ) has been accused of turning her back on her party after she announced she would quit the Democrats and register as an independent.

Explaining her decision in an op-ed for the Arizona Republic, she wrote: "I have never fit perfectly in either national party" adding that leaving the Democratic Party "won't change my work in the Senate."

She tweeted a video in which she said she wanted to "reject party politics" and remove herself from the "broken partisan system in Washington."

But Jordan Zakarin, from media outlet More Perfect Us, tweeted that she had been "very happy to let the progressive grassroots in Arizona work their asses off to get her elected to the Senate," adding that "after four years of refusing to meet with them, she's finally slamming the door in their faces."

Exavier Pope, a lawyer and entrepreneur, tweeted that her move "ensures she continues to get attention. This isn't about Washington. This is about Sinema trying to retain some power in her seat."

Meanwhile, Twitter user Enrich12 wrote that Sinema had "ran as a Democrat, voted as a Republican, and now switched parties to Independent. @SenatorSinema is a traitor. She fooled the people of Arizona."

"You gotta be wondering what Joe Manchin is thinking this morning," tweeted NBC host Mehdi Hasan, referring to the West Virginia senator who is also famed for not toeing the Democrats' party line.

"I have always believed that Sinema was worse than Manchin and so her pulling this move before Manchin did is a vindication of that view," Hasan added.

Democrats have been celebrating Tuesday's victory by Raphael Warnock (D-GA) in the mid-term run-off in Georgia against Republican candidate Herschel Walker, which tipped Congress's upper house 51-49 in their favor. This followed two years of relying on Vice President Kamala Harris to use her casting vote to break the previously split Senate.

But Sinema's move to quit the Democrats is unlikely to change the power balance in the next Senate, CNN reported. The party has two other independents who caucus with it, Sens. Bernie Sanders (D-VT) and Angus King (D-ME).

Sinema has not specified she would do the same, although she told the network she will "hopefully serve on the same committees I've been serving on."

This is a signal that she does not plan to upend the Senate composition, CNN reported, since Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer controls committee rosters for Democrats.

When contacted for comment, Sinema's spokeswoman Hannah Hurley referred Newsweek to the senator's op-ed in the Arizona Republic and tweeted video. "As she has made clear in her interviews, she intends to maintain her committee assignments from the Democratic majority," Hurley said, adding: "she has never and will not now attend caucus meetings."

newsweek
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 09:35 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I think racism and homophobia have a lot to do with the negatives of people's reaction. If she was lighter, cuter, straight...people would be celebrating and never mind the rest.

Just want to comment on the "cuter" part of your comment, Rev. I've seen variations on that from several people...and am perplexed. In my opinion...she is an attractive woman...especially when wearing her eyeglasses. (I've always had a weakness for women wearing glasses.) She is a bit taller and thinner than what I prefer, but I would assign "attractive" to her.

Just sayin'!
revelette1

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 10:44 am
@Frank Apisa,
Oh well, I guess men have a different perspective. Or maybe it's a case of eye of the beholder kind of thing. Or maybe I have a skewed idea, being a southern woman and all.

Or maybe I am putting my foot in my mouth deeper.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 11:04 am
Certainly we can all agree that we can disagree on who and what is attractive.
hightor

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 12:18 pm
@snood,
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.Qa1icHDHc4c09_wcVJJrBwHaEK%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=a2a81753d8f22f82e2bbe4395ad22217e22b6e74d312bfb0db10d488ed35ca9b&ipo=images
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 12:23 pm
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,
Get it out with Optrex.

Spike Milligan.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 12:28 pm
@snood,
Well, just imagine the reaction if it had been blonde, blue eyes, petite ballerina or figure skater who was caught with the same and sentenced the same. The uproar of celebration would have been huge by the same people now complaining about the swap.

Not that is my idea of prettiness, just saying there are true biasness any time you are talking about someone described as above. Which is why all the blonde or at least light kidnapped girls get way more attention than all other shades of girls. It is a sad judgment on us as a society.
Mame

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 12:36 pm
@revelette1,
The reason she was jailed might be another reason. There are many people in the US who are against drugs, for whatever reason.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 12:58 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
They both disgrace what I consider a great town! You know how much I love to visit the City. Those two are like rats in the subways.

I do know. And share your feelings.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 02:10 pm

https://iili.io/HnjyFRa.jpg
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 09:01 pm
Griner'd been in trouble here in Texas, too.

https://www.texasnorml.org › activism › marijuana-laws-and-penalties-in-texas
Cannabis Laws & Penalties in Texas - Texas NORML
ANY AMOUNT OF A CANNABIS CONCENTRATE IS A FELONY IN TEXAS. Possession of hashish or concentrates is a crime in Texas. If hashish or concentrates is less than one gram, the offense is considered a state jail felony punishable by term of imprisonment no less than 180 days and no greater than 2 years and a fine no greater than $10,000.

https://www.dougmurphylaw.com › texas-law-concerning-thc-edibles-gummies
Texas Law Concerning THC Edibles & Gummies
Possession of between one and four grams of THC is considered a third-degree felony and can carry a prison sentence between two and 10 years and a fine of up to $10,000. Possession of between four and 400 grams of THC is a second-degree felony and carries a prison sentence of between two and 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.

And by weight they mean the weight of the near, not the THC.

You'd be better off with 2 oz of pot than a gummy bear or less than a gram of hash oil.

Cannabis Laws & Penalties in Texas - Texas NORML
Texas has some of the harshest penalties for marijuana, and highest arrest rates. We are arresting MORE in recent years, as other states are legalizing. Download PDF Penalty Details Possession (FLOWER) Possession of 2 ounces or less of marijuana is a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by up to 180 days imprisonment and a fine not to exceed $2,000.

snood

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 09:28 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Griner'd been in trouble here in Texas, too.

1) Not sure if your point is that she should tread more carefully, even in the US, or that Texas drug law is consistently ass-backward along with all its other laws.

2) Even in Texas she wouldn’t have had to do nine years hard labor.
BillW

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 09:53 pm
@snood,
3) In a hell hole work camp!
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 10:03 pm
@snood,
No point at all, except the cannabis laws are screwed up in Texas, too. Texas laws treat hash oil and edibles as if they're heroin. I'm comparing the laws in Texas with Russia.

Don't think there isn't slave labor in the Texas Penal System! The prison system in the US is very close to a plantation system. Prisons make money off prisoners who don't make $.50/hr. If a prisoner declines to work, it affects when they are released.

Like I said, .9 grams of hash oil deserved a guilty verdict and a deportation back to the US, not any actual jail time, not even the nine months she served.

The Russians are also noted for racism, and I feel that played into to her arrest to begin with. They wanted to embarrass the US, and she got put into the trick bag over about as minor an amount of hash oil as can be.

Pot laws are totally screwed up and nobody deserves jammed up over a possession of personal stash.

To be clear: Brittany Griner did nothing that justifies any amount of time anywhere: Russia or Texas, or Grand Fenwick, for that matter. It's not like she had a gun or a brick of hundred dollar bills in her luggage. She's not a Republican, for Pete's sake.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 10:13 pm
@BillW,
Obviously you haven't heard about Huntsville here in Texas. There is no air conditioning in Texas prisons, in spite of lawsuits and Federal orders. Texas claims it doesn't have the money and the Fed hasn't stepped up to make it happen. Prisoners die of the heat every year. It wasn't till the 60s they got rid of the system of prisoner bosses running the units.

It's not the gulag, at least not now, but it is certainly not humane, either.

To be clear, Griner doesn't deserve to doing time in Texas, either.
0 Replies