Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

glitterbag

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 08:44 pm
@Lash,
You know you can't really boil down complicated issues by asking one over simplified question. You were a teacher, you would not have been useful if that was your technique while teaching. If you are not going to answer other peoples questions, would you at least be courteous enough to not ask them questions. It winds up being a bad case of "I know you are but what am I".......KEE-RHIST
McGentrix

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 11:06 pm
@blatham,
Who is this about? Were you looking at a mirror at the time?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 12:09 am
Germany and Norway have said they will propose that NATO plays a role in protecting undersea infrastructure like gas pipelines or fibre optic cables. This follows the sabotage of the Nord Stream pipelines.
roger

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 01:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I wonder if that's impossible. Partial protection, of course, but. . . .
Builder

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 01:30 am
@roger,
We didn't see much effective protection of the twin towers on Manhattan island, roger.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 02:08 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
I wonder if that's impossible. Partial protection, of course, but. . . .
I agree.
But we (resp. Nato) could do it similar to what was done during the Cold War.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 03:33 am
@Builder,
Quote:
We didn't see much effective protection of the twin towers on Manhattan island, roger.

While the WTC was constructed on an island, the foundation was built on solid bedrock. There's no way NATO would consider it to be "undersea infrastructure".

FAIL

Nighty-night, Builder.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 03:40 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Who is this about?

It's clearly stated. You might need to have your vision checked.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 03:41 am
Quote:
The Democrats in the House have voted in new leadership. Representative Hakeem Jeffries of New York, who grew up in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, and who represents a district that includes parts of Brooklyn and Queens, will replace Nancy Pelosi of California as speaker. A 52-year-old lawyer, Jeffries is known for playing a long game, listening to everyone, focusing on getting laws passed. He will be the first Black party leader in the House or the Senate.

Members elected Representative Katherine Clark of Massachusetts as the number 2 party leader: she will be the party whip, the person who makes sure there are votes to pass certain measures and keeps members behind the party’s program. 

And they elected Representative Pete Aguilar of California as caucus chair, overseeing the weekly meetings of the Democratic caucus to discuss policy, legislation, and other issues.

The new Democratic leaders will start in the minority in the new Congress, where the Republicans have a slim majority, but are considered a strong team and hope to be in the majority after 2024.

In a sign that they represent a new era, CNN’s headline for a story about Jeffries’s rise read: “With Hakeem Jeffries’ rise, his members see ‘Democrats in total array.’”

For decades, it has been a stereotype that Democrats are in disarray, but after two years in which Democrats have managed with just a small House majority to pass an extraordinary slate of major laws, after a midterm election in which Democrats did far better than pundits expected, and now with a strong new team of leaders in place with party members standing behind them, “disarray” now belongs to the Republicans. 

As if to illustrate the deep factions in the Republican Party that have made them unable to agree on much of anything except what—and whom—they hate, House minority leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) today, in response to a logical question, offered to Kristin Wilson, Paul LeBlanc, and Clare Foran of CNN something that sure sounded like word salad. 

The House today did as President Joe Biden asked, and passed a bill to impose an agreement on railway corporations and railway employees to avoid a strike that economists say would cost the country $1 billion in its first week. The vote was bipartisan. Seventy-nine Republicans joined all but eight Democrats to pass the bill. McCarthy was one of 129 Republicans who voted no.

When the CNN reporters asked McCarthy why he voted no, he answered: “First Biden told us that inflation was transitory; it wasn’t. He told us immigration was seasonal and it wasn’t. He told us Afghanistan wouldn’t collapse to the Taliban. Then he told us in September that this deal was all worked out. Now he wants the government to go into this? I just think it’s another—it’s another sign of why the economy is weak under this Biden administration.”

Numbers released today show that, in fact, the economy grew at an annual rate of 2.9% in the third quarter—between July and September—lower than it has been, but higher than the growth in former president Trump’s first three years, which averaged 2.5%. Unemployment today is at a 50-year low. While inflation is still high, gas prices have dropped to an average of $3.50 a gallon, where they were in February before Russia invaded Ukraine.  

When the reporters noted that McCarthy’s position would actually have hurt the economy by leading to a strike that tanked it, he responded: “If my position held out, we’d actually have it done by the private sector a long time ago and we’d have efficiency. We wouldn’t have inflation, we’d have a secure border.”

McCarthy is scrambling to find the votes he needs from the far right to make him House speaker, making him impossible to pin down as he tries to woo those extremists to his side. 

Meanwhile, in the Senate, John Thune (R-SD), the second ranking Republican, has offered a plan, but it is one that is unlikely to make the party more popular. Yesterday, he said that Republicans plan to use the necessary increase in the debt limit to force cuts in the budget, including changes to Social Security and other programs. 

In 2019, 57% of Americans said that Social Security was a “major” source of their income, and 74% of Americans said that Social Security benefits should not be reduced in any way.

hcr
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 03:50 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

You have never seen me be dishonest here.

Posting a "quotation" with a link that goes to a paywall for Encyclopeadia Britannia instead of the source of alleged "quotation," is very dishonest.

You do/say stuff like that all the time, cutting and pasting Kremlin propaganda and then pretending it came from a left wing source.

You're not smart enough to pull this off. You're really not, have a bit of self respect for once and tell the truth.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 03:52 am
@glitterbag,
Why do you think she was only allowed to teach black kids?

Telling black kids a load of racist disinvormation and lies fits their agenda.
Lash

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 07:07 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Why do you think she was only allowed to teach black kids?

Telling black kids a load of racist disinvormation and lies fits their agenda.

I’ve seen this person reach pretty far to try to discredit me, but downgrading black children is a new low.

He added the second sentence to try to make it seem that framing me as a teacher of black children is supposed to be the insult. Then he edited to add racist—to cover his racist tracks.

I deeply loved my black and Hispanic students. I chose to limit myself to Title One schools purposefully after seeing how unfairly poorer children were treated in public education—because I wanted children from poor families to catch a break at school by having one more teacher who’d treat them with respect and could patiently explain their subject matter.

His attempted insult toward me insulted black children specifically.

I’ll never speak to that racist again.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 07:15 am
@Frank Apisa,
She falls on "ad hom" as it suits her argument. Like a parrot asking for a cracker.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 07:20 am
@Lash,
I'm not downgrading black kids at all, I'm downgrading an educational system that allows someone like you anywhere near them.

I worked in plenty of multiculural schools and taught poetry from other cultures, Africa, India, Pakistan as well as civil rights.

And the best kids I've ever taught were all African, first generation immigrants with a healthy respect for education.

Their behaviour and attainment was impeccable, after that were those whose parents hailed from the Indian subcontinent.

I've never had any problems with BAME kids, it's always been white kids that have given me grief.

And my son went to a primary school that was only 5% white, that's why he's fluent in over five languages.

That's you all over, you can't respond to the point I made so you make **** up and react with a load of false outrage.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 07:33 am
Judge to arraign ex-DA charged in Arbery killing's aftermath
Source: Associated Press

Judge to arraign ex-DA charged in Arbery killing’s aftermath

By RUSS BYNUM
November 29, 2022

SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — A former Georgia prosecutor charged more than a year ago with hindering the police investigation into the 2020 killing of Ahmaud Arbery has been ordered to appear before a judge next month for her first court appearance.

Superior Court Judge John R. Turner on Tuesday scheduled a Dec. 29 arraignment for former Brunswick Judicial Circuit District Attorney Jackie Johnson, who will have a chance to enter a plea after the charges are formally presented in court.

The judge said he will also take up any pending legal motions, which include a request by Johnson’s defense attorneys to have one of the charges dismissed.

Johnson served as the top prosecutor for coastal Glynn County when white men in pickup trucks chased and killed Arbery after they spotted the young Black man running in their neighborhood just outside the port city of Brunswick on Feb. 23, 2020.

-snip-

Read more: https://apnews.com/article/ahmaud-arbery-shootings-georgia-brunswick-savannah-e376216527008f5ac99a854a9d1fcb64
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 07:40 am
https://assets.amuniversal.com/d3a8ec4052f1013bd2a2005056a9545d.png
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 07:43 am
https://image.politicalcartoons.com/269427/600/steward-rhodes.png
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 07:53 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I don’t know what fools here allow some nasty racist to spew ad homs at will and never respond, but I’m not one of them.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 08:04 am
Does anyone remember when Obama used the phrase lipstick on a pig and those words were then twisted into an attack of Sarah Palin's looks?

This is the same.

If any African American posters like Snood or Real Music call my posts out for being racist I will take what they say seriously, but I'm not treating Lash's false outrage as anything other than a load of bollocks.
revelette1

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 09:45 am
@izzythepush,
I am not African American, just white, also, I know you pretty well and think you didn't mean it the way it came across, but in my opinion, it was offensive phrase and/or meaning. Just thought I would say something.