Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2022 09:19 am
@neptuneblue,
Got a new nick name for someone: #26 or Jake.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2022 10:01 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
What part of NO did you not understand?
The "n" part or the "o" part?
Geez, the nerve of some people.

Then let the best team win.

And one day we'll be coming to take back Toledo.
oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2022 10:02 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
And also unntrue.

Wrong again. My vocabulary is much more expansive than izzythepush's.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2022 10:04 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
Just plain sad.

I accurately described what you said.

bobsal u1553115 wrote:
On a serious aside: have you had a brain injury? I'm asking to try to understand.

Nope.

bobsal u1553115 wrote:
The rest of it is silly.

I gave a fair and accurate response to a silly post.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2022 11:22 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
I accurately described what you said.

Directly quoting me would be accurate. Your recounting of a quote it is not at all accurate.

Look, I get you were trying to smoke and joke with Neptune over the Ohio/and that nameless state to the west. And it made me a bit sad to see you in good humor and intention get creamed over it, but at the same time get I Neptune's part in it. You do not argue honestly, and they did not see your turn from the usual denials and wild claims to a simple humor exchange, over Ohio vs. the Huns on the border state above Indiana.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2022 12:01 pm
Barbados is taking Tory MP Richard Drax to court for reparations oved slavery.

The Draxes were the main slaveowners on the island and are fabulously wealthy.

Driving along the A31 through Dorset you go past one of Drax' estates. It's huge, driving literally past miles and miles of brick wall fencing it off.

It's not like we don't have big aristocratic estates here anyway, Broadlands in Romsey and Wilton House are big, but you don't drive past miles and miles of brick wall for either of them.

It will be interesting to see what happens.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2022 01:35 pm
@izzythepush,
More at link.

Quote:
The government of Barbados is considering plans to make a wealthy Conservative MP the first individual to pay reparations for his ancestor’s pivotal role in slavery.

The Observer understands that Richard Drax, MP for South Dorset, recently travelled to the Caribbean island for a private meeting with the country’s prime minister, Mia Mottley. A report is now before Mottley’s cabinet laying out the next steps, which include legal action in the event that no agreement is reached with Drax.

[url]theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/26/barbados-tory-mp-pay-reparations-family-slave-richard-drax-caribbean-sugar-plantation[/url]
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2022 05:36 pm
@oralloy,
Well Ohio State lost today. So I have to grumble and be humble...

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WellinformedOccasionalAmericanbittern-size_restricted.gif
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2022 06:30 pm
@neptuneblue,
I quit watching after Woody grabbed that Wolverine band member by the throat, or kicked his own player on national TV. I forget which. I loved three yards and a cloud of dust football, otherwise.

Then I moved to Nebraska. In the middle of 250+ straight sellouts in a HUGE stadium. Husker football was amazing in the 90's.

I do remember that Bo Schlembecher(from Barberton) always poached Barberton HS's stars and Ara Parsegian (from Akron) poached NE Ohio HS stars.

Only game I'm interested in is Ohio/ Mich; Ohio/USC, UCLA, anybody else at Rose Bowl.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2022 03:32 am
Quote:
On the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, November 22, former president Trump hosted the antisemitic artist Ye, also known as Kanye West, for dinner at a public table at Mar-a-Lago along with political operative Karen Giorno, who was the Trump campaign’s 2016 state director in Florida. Ye brought with him 24-year-old far-right white supremacist Nick Fuentes. Fuentes attended the August 2017 “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, and in its wake, he committed to moving the Republican Party farther to the right.

Fuentes has openly admired Italian fascist dictator Benito Mussolini and authoritarian Russian president Vladimir Putin, who is currently making war on Russia’s neighbor Ukraine. A Holocaust denier, Fuentes is associated with America’s neo-Nazis.

In February 2020, Fuentes launched the America First Political Action Conference to compete from the right with the Conservative Political Action Conference. In May 2021, on a livestream, Fuentes said: “My job…is to keep pushing things further. We, because nobody else will, have to push the envelope. And we’re gonna get called names. We’re gonna get called racist, sexist, antisemitic, bigoted, whatever.… When the party is where we are two years later, we’re not gonna get the credit for the ideas that become popular. But that’s okay. That’s our job. We are the right-wing flank of the Republican Party. And if we didn’t exist, the Republican Party would be falling backwards all the time.”

Fuentes and his “America First” followers, called “Groypers” after a cartoon amphibian (I’m not kidding), backed Trump’s lies that he had actually won the 2020 election. At a rally shortly after the election, Fuentes told his followers to “storm every state capitol until Jan. 20, 2021, until President Trump is inaugurated for four more years.” Fuentes and Groypers were at the January 6th attack on the U.S. Capitol, and at least seven of them have been charged with federal crimes for their association with that attack. The House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol subpoenaed Fuentes himself.

Accounts of the dinner suggest that Trump and Fuentes hit it off, with Trump allegedly saying, “I like this guy, he gets me,” after Fuentes urged Trump to speak freely off the cuff rather than reading teleprompters and trying to appear presidential as his handlers advise.

But Trump announced his candidacy for president in 2024 just days ago, and being seen publicly with far-right white supremacist Fuentes—in addition to Ye—indicates his embrace of the far right. His team told NBC’s Marc Caputo that the dinner was a “f**king nightmare.” Trump tried to distance himself from the meeting by saying he didn’t know who Fuentes was, and that he was just trying to help Ye out by giving the “seriously troubled” man advice, but observers noted that he did not distance himself from Fuentes’s positions.

Republican lawmakers have been silent about Trump’s apparent open embrace of the far right, illustrating the growing power of that far right in the Republican Party. Representatives Paul Gosar (R-AZ) and Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) have affiliated themselves with Fuentes, and while their appearances with him at the America First Political Action Conference last February drew condemnation from Republican leader Representative Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), now McCarthy desperately needs the votes of far-right Republicans to make him speaker of the House. To get that support, he has been promising to deliver their wish list—including an investigation into President Joe Biden’s son Hunter—and appears willing to accept Fuentes and his followers into the party, exactly as Fuentes hoped.

Today, after the news of Trump’s dinner and the thundering silence that followed it, conservative anti-Trumper Bill Kristol tweeted: “Aren’t there five decent Republicans in the House who will announce they won’t vote for anyone for Speaker who doesn’t denounce their party’s current leader, Donald Trump, for consorting with the repulsive neo-Nazi Fuentes?”

So far, at least, the answer is no.

hcr
snood

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2022 06:11 am
@hightor,
That was like a scumbag-fest dinner with Fuentes and Kanye West.

There isn’t even any pretense of decency anymore. And no Republican who has anything to lose is saying a mumbling word about it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2022 06:46 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
Well Ohio State lost today. So I have to grumble and be humble...

Ideally we would have a rematch in the national final, but the Georgia Bulldogs are going to ruin that for both of us.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2022 06:48 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
Directly quoting me would be accurate. Your recounting of a quote it is not at all accurate.

Here is a direct quote:
"He ignores our right to ignore him."

My characterization of that quote:
"What you said was that he was actually doing that something."

My characterization is accurate. You did say that Builder was ignoring our right to ignore him.

bobsal u1553115 wrote:
Look, I get you were trying to smoke and joke with Neptune over the Ohio/and that nameless state to the west. And it made me a bit sad to see you in good humor and intention get creamed over it, but at the same time get I Neptune's part in it.

I am not aware of having been creamed. But thanks for the well wishes.

bobsal u1553115 wrote:
You do not argue honestly, and they did not see your turn from the usual denials and wild claims to a simple humor exchange, over Ohio vs. the Huns on the border state above Indiana.

All of my factual claims are true.

I accept that it might be possible for someone to state the complete truth with dishonest intentions, but I am stating the complete truth with entirely honest intentions.

Opinions are neither true nor false, but when I state my opinion, I am expressing my actual opinion.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2022 08:07 am
Just a small rant and request and I'm sure many of you will tell me to pack sand, but this page does not have any posts to do with President Biden. Some years ago, Robert suggested the site would work better if we posted different topics to different threads so that there would be a thread for college football, one for Trump holding antisemitic conferences with Fuentes and Kanye West, one for reparations in Barbados, etc. I often avoid this thread because the topics are so random and posts that are interesting to me are typically buried by random topics by the time I see them. I understand that is a me problem, but we might get more engagement on our favorite topics if we listed them seperately.
Lash

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2022 08:22 am
Looks like Clyburn has abandoned closed door channels and is on the news pressing for a Voting Rights Act.

Why hasn’t Biden already addressed this with a majority voting bloc? (Why didn’t he codify Roe when he could’ve?)

Will Biden see a Voting Rights Act through?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2022 08:50 am
https://img.ifunny.co/images/40e1f37915410f4fffade4bfb95899d6bb0913b893bac1c9353764d09ec7b69a_1.webp
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2022 09:03 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Why hasn’t Biden already addressed this with a majority voting bloc? (Why didn’t he codify Roe when he could’ve?)

Will Biden see a Voting Rights Act through?

Don't pay any attention to news or the facts, right?

https://abcnews.go.com › Politics › president-joe-bidens-speech-voting-rights-transcript › story?id=78827023
President Joe Biden's speech on voting rights: TRANSCRIPT
Jul 13, 2021President Joe Biden delivers a speech on voting rights at the National Constitution Center, July 13, 2021, in Philadelphia. Evan Vucci/AP Here are Biden's full remarks, as released by the White House: 2:46 P.M. EDT THE PRESIDENT: Thank you. (Applause.) I see an awful lot of good friends out there. Please have a seat if you have one.

https://news.yahoo.com › joe-biden-voting-rights-dont-222452877.html
Joe Biden On Voting Rights: 'I Don't Know That We Can Get This Done'
Jan 13, 2022President Joe Biden expressed frustration with efforts to protect voting rights on Thursday, given overwhelming Republican opposition in the Senate and lack of support among Democrats for...

https://www.cnn.com › politics › live-news › biden-harris-voting-rights-speech-01-11-2022 › h_3e51d37fb53cef1094fd2f57bb8f7f25
Biden on voting rights: "I'm tired of being quiet" - CNN
Jan 11, 2022President Biden called on Congress to pass the Freedom to Vote Act as he spoke about voting rights and election reform in his speech in Atlanta, ahead of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. "Today,...

https://www.voanews.com › a › biden-voting-rights-filibuster › 6392225.html
Biden Pushes for Voting Rights Measures
Jan 11, 2022Biden Pushes for Voting Rights Measures January 11, 2022 11:26 AM update January 11, 2022 6:19 PM Ken Bredemeier; Chris Hannas; Embed share. Biden Pushes Voting Rights Legislation Ahead of Vote.

https://www.cnn.com › 2022 › 11 › 02 › politics › justice-department-biden-voting-rights-midterms › index.html
How the Biden DOJ's vows to protect voting rights have played out in ...
Nov 2, 2022The Justice Department - where among the ranks of leadership are Biden appointees with significant experience in voting rights - has taken several bold steps on voting issues, filing...

https://news.yahoo.com › biden-aggressively-protected-voting-rights-094808018.html
Biden has aggressively protected voting rights, but experts warn it's ...
Dec 15, 2021Voting rights advocates hope the Biden administration's lawsuit accusing Texas of trying to minimize the voting power of nonwhite residents signals a willingness to confront Republican-led plans that they say would make voting harder for Black and Latino Americans.. But some national security experts, including a former top White House homeland security adviser, said they fear the Biden ...

https://www.nbcnews.com › think › opinion › biden-s-voting-rights-failure-senate-his-own-doing-ncna1287770
Biden's voting rights failure in the Senate is his own doing - NBC News
Jan 20, 2022In a blow to President Joe Biden, activists and American democracy, efforts to protect voting rights were defeated in the Senate on Wednesday by Democratic Sens. Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona and...

https://www.aclu.org › news › voting-rights › president-elect-bidens-voting-rights-to-do-list
President-Elect Biden's Voting Rights To-Do List
Dec 18, 2020It is imperative that President-elect Biden's administration take ambitious action to protect the right to vote and improve the future of American elections under our existing federal voting laws and to champion new federal protections for voting rights. Here are the ACLU's key recommendations: Executive Action to Enforce Federal Voting Rights Laws

https://www.washingtontimes.com › news › 2022 › jan › 25 › bidens-voting-rights-failure-is-election-integrity
Biden's 'voting rights' failure is election integrity opportunity for ...
Jan 25, 2022OPINION: So much for President Biden's plan to take over elections. After more than a year of demanding that Congress sweep away state reforms promoting election integrity and force every state ...

https://www.nytimes.com › 2022 › 01 › 18 › opinion › voting-rights-biden.html
Opinion | Will Biden Lose the Fight Over Voting Rights?
Jan 18, 2022a compromise senate bill could, for example, limit the ability of state officials to remove local election administrators without cause; prohibit the harassment of election workers (as happened in...

There's more. A lot more. As if you'll accept information that will inform one of your "opinions". I actually read the crap you post. That's how I know it's crap.

Roe was around for more than 50 years and it's Joe Biden's fault it wasn't "codified"? Take a civics lesson: Presidents don't codify, ******* Congress codifies. Didn't you ever in your life ever learn: "the President proposes, Congress disposes"?
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2022 09:28 am
@Lash,
Quote:
(Why didn’t he codify Roe when he could’ve?)

When was that? He'd need a supermajority in the Senate for any bill to survive cloture.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2022 09:51 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
He'd need a supermajority in the Senate for any bill to survive cloture.
And there had to be some reforms to the Senate rules or the filibuster had to be elemated altogether.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2022 10:38 am
@engineer,
To be accurate, the title does read, "" and other Contemporary Events.

Just saying.

But I admit we get way off of contemporary events a lot and go for pages on long arguments among ourselves.
0 Replies